College student's fund has a 500% annual return over 9 years

I saw pictures of him on fb, he's a young kid that drives a Porsche Turbo and a Lamborghini Murcielago LP670. I've seen that Lambo around tons of times, but I was shocked when I found out he was the owner of this fund. So while I doubt any college student can have returns greater than anyone in the history of finance, his lavish cars are the only thing preventing me from calling him a total fraud. This guy graduated from Tufts and is in law school now. Also, I'm sure he's not dumb enough to make false claims by the SEC claiming he is one of the 400 largest traders in America.

Thoughts?

1) that kid is probably you trying to gauge how believable your "hedge fund" is. 2) Neither he nor AutoTrader exists in official SEC records. 3) Another fantasy by a college kid who wants to be in a place he isn't yet. 4) I know because in freshman year way back I put that I was the founder of blah blah blah capital management on my FB because I made $4000 in a personal trading account and then took it off after a couple months realizing how fucking ridiculous i was. I even made a fucking website for it. 5) I know another guy back in college who was obsessed with Wall Street that he did pretty much the same and had even put fake employees on his website and "hedge fund"

TRUE STORY: The prospect asked me, "What's it like to work at ****?" I asked him, "You ever been to Home Depot?" "Yes" "Well, it's like that. It's full of fucking tools." And he stared, innocently wide-eyed and nodded with deep understanding

This kid is a econ/computer science grad from Tufts, certainly no community college student, but what's the point of making these lies and fabrications.

My question is, how the hell did he get a Porsche and Lambo?

Regarding the name of the fund, my guess is he didn't name it after the car website, more like automatic trader or something.

Either way, this is pretty fishy.

Valuestrats920:
This kid is a econ/computer science grad from Tufts, certainly no community college student, but what's the point of making these lies and fabrications.

My question is, how the hell did he get a Porsche and Lambo?

Regarding the name of the fund, my guess is he didn't name it after the car website, more like automatic trader or something.

Either way, this is pretty fishy.

Everything about this thread seems to be a little fishy...

I hate victims who respect their executioners

WallStLikeHomeDepotCauseItsFullofFuckingTools:
1) that kid is probably you trying to gauge how believable your "hedge fund" is. 2) Neither he nor AutoTrader exists in official SEC records. 3) Another fantasy by a college kid who wants to be in a place he isn't yet. 4) I know because in freshman year way back I put that I was the founder of blah blah blah capital management on my FB because I made $4000 in a personal trading account and then took it off after a couple months realizing how fucking ridiculous i was. I even made a fucking website for it. 5) I know another guy back in college who was obsessed with Wall Street that he did pretty much the same and had even put fake employees on his website and "hedge fund"

This^ Terriers12 is obviously writing about himself, then after the negative feedback pretends he is not affiliated with this person.

"Do whatever it takes to keep the legend of Wall Street as it was truly intended live on. When you think back on investment banking of the early 21st century, remember the heat—remember the passion. But mostly, remember the titans. " - LSO

Soul_Reaper:
WallStLikeHomeDepotCauseItsFullofFuckingTools:

This^ Terriers12 is obviously writing about himself, then after the negative feedback pretends he is not affiliated with this person.

hahahahaha you make me laugh. like i would waste all this time to pretend to be a fraud.

Things: 1) Lmao at the picture on the front page of that website 2) Who goes to law school when they're so talented that they always make triple digit returns 3) Why the fuck is the fund named after a car magazine 4) Who makes a website with absolutely no plans for public investment but spouts off returns 5) No mention of his strategy whatsoever because it doesn't exist, unless he swing trades F/GM lol

cheesebeans:
Another name to add to the Aleksey Vayner and jeffrey chiang list?

bahaha Aleksey and Jeffrey took it WAAAAY too far. they deserved what was coming for them. Aleksey plagiarized an ENTIRE BOOK and claimed he had written it - I'm surprised the author of that book didn't sue his ass for that. Jeffrey basically tried to con his way into an investment bank by putting false words in the mouths of real professionals whose reputations were on the line.

This kid on the other hand -- as long as he's not handing out business cards with that shit on it or putting that shit in his resume to investment banks, he's insignificant in my opinion. i think the number of kids obsessed with Wall Street who make up fake websites like this and subsequently put "Founder/CEO of xxx Capital Management" on their Facebooks is way more than you think!

TRUE STORY: The prospect asked me, "What's it like to work at ****?" I asked him, "You ever been to Home Depot?" "Yes" "Well, it's like that. It's full of fucking tools." And he stared, innocently wide-eyed and nodded with deep understanding

hahahaha, lmao at "that kid is probably you trying to gauge how believable your "hedge fund" is."

the only reason for this post is, if these are real returns, which explains why i seem him driving a lambo. i am in no way affiliated with this guy, know him, support him, or anything. just came across this and was really curious.

Some people actually do have legitimate funds that one could put on a resume. I think this conversation has been played out but if you have 6 figure AUM and it comes from maybe 5+ investors outside of your immediate family, and you've been doing it for at least 1-2 years, I think it's worth mentioning on a resume if you can back it up with an explanation of your strategy. I did this and I have a friend who's in college now who has 7 figure AUM, so at a point of legitimacy I think you'd be hurting yourself not to talk about it. But this kid is total bullshit so if he's trying to get us to tell him it's possible or validate it to himself/someone else, let's just say it's not.

I'm glad related content on this post is Mr. Kerviel's sentencing from the Soc Gen fuck up, for what it's worth.

That's true, this guy isn't anywhere close to Vaskey and JC status. But man, when you go out and say you're a fund manager of xxx Capital Management, AND say that you were able to achieve 3000%+ return a year, you better be able to back that sh-- up. When you make a statement like this, basically claiming you're better than the world's best hedge fund managers, you're gonna get attacked. Guys like this need to be exposed if he is indeed a fraud.

BlackHat:
That's not his lambo.

Well, we're not sure if it is or not. I'm in the Boston area, and I can tell you that I have seen this kid drive it many, many times. I walked by this house that had the Lambo in a garage with the same license plate all the time when I used to walk to a nearby public tennis court.

I have no idea if it is his car or not, but he certainly has driven it. And his fb shows a video of him racing in a Porsche Turbo. If his fund is indeed real, it would make sense for him to be able to afford all these cars.

It makes my blood boil to see people with super inflated egos try to play themselves as young hot shots starting their "hedge funds" when they aren't even nothing close. They deserve to be exploited and embarrassed.

Never evaluate a man's financial success based on the type of car he SEEMS to drive in pics on his FB. I once saw a niiice 2007 BMW with 40k miles on Craigslist from a former financial analyst who got laid off and need some cash - he was selling that for only $15k - anyone who could afford a new Honda Civic could have purchased that (although the subsequent maintenance costs are another story)

You can also rent Lambos for a day for $2000 although i've seen some promotions go for $500/day. Porches would go for a lot less.

Also the lambo could be his dad's or something similar.

Just keep an open mind.

he doesnt seem to drive this, he DOES drive this. of course this doesnt mean he owns it. believe me, i'm not a gullible person by any means, and am extremely skeptical of this whole situation. but i've seen him drive this car in person many times. i want to send an email asking for verified sources of his claims by the SEC.

you can actually lease a 2012 Lambo for $3000 a month with a $24k down payment (some kids can actually do this with a couple ibanking internships that give you $15k per summer assuming they had full college tuition covered already):

http://www.swapalease.com/lease/details/2012LamborghiniGallardo.aspx?sa…

And if you lived at home and saved the $3000 in rent if you were to live in NYC, split that up with another show-off of a buddy for $1500 a mo and you got yourself a lambo. Of course nobody actually does this because it's so fucking stupid but hey, I'm sure 1 out of 10000 out there is doing exactly this hahaha.

obviously a 2000 lambo compared to that 2012 model would make you look just as good and rich and would be a HELL of a lot less than $3000/mo with a $24k down payment, for example. so again, never judge a man's financial worth by the car he drives.

wtf....first a stripper( niki marx)..now a college kid.... what has the street come to!

"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs and returns home to find it." ~George Moore

blastoise:
terriers12 shut the fuck up.

any way

yall hatin bc u dont have his swag i heard rumors this kid is actually swagon

LOL

Terriers12:
hahaha go suck this guys d more why dont you. youre an idiot if you think this guy is legit. wait, youre probably a friend or the guy himself given your defensive comment. anyway, take your comments elsewhere or go fuck yourself. thanks :)

I don't think he was supporting the guy.

What exactly are you looking for from us though? It sounds like you're pretty confident he's a fraud so what more is there to say?

Terriers12:
hahaha go suck this guys d more why dont you. youre an idiot if you think this guy is legit. wait, youre probably a friend or the guy himself given your defensive comment. anyway, take your comments elsewhere or go fuck yourself. thanks :)

You are confused my friend, I was in no way supporting this clown (you), read clearly before you make an ass out of yourself. Oh and btw why does "his" Lambo have Atlanta plates when his Facebook shows he went to high school and college in MA meaning he grew up in MA.

"Do whatever it takes to keep the legend of Wall Street as it was truly intended live on. When you think back on investment banking of the early 21st century, remember the heat—remember the passion. But mostly, remember the titans. " - LSO

Now I'm wondering if this thread and website was just made as an elaborate troll...

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

Terriers12:
Founded in July 2003, the fund has returned (adjusted for distributions):

2003 +78.6% 2004 +3,314.7% 2005 +263.3% 2006 +157.2% 2007 +130.0% 2008 +107.4% 2009 +161.2% 2010 +75.8% 2011 +155.6%

Thoughts?

I think the thing we can learn from Bernie Madoff, is that if you want to perpetuate fraud, it is much better to show solid, but not spectacular, steady returns. I think these outrageous claims will be counterproductive to his efforts to steal money.

if this was true he would be on Forbes billionaire list by now

"If Henry Ford had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." -Steve Jobs

Zafrynex:
3000% return is basically just doubling up 5 times in a row.

Nothing too spectacular. You have a little bit less than 1/32 chances of doing that playing roulette.

2.6% that you see a 35x return. 97.3% chance you lose everything. Go pitch that to the pension funds real quick, I'm sure they'll be on board.

The key to this is looking at how much leverage he uses. If he is a ok trader he can make a boatload of money if say he had a nice sum to start with. For instance say he has 500k in his retail account. You can buy 20 cars of /Cl(crude oil future contract) for a little north of 90k on margin.One tick in crude with 20 cars is worth $200.00. Now scalping 10 ticks in crude really isn't that hard a 5 minute candle moves up about 20 ticks during ny trade, if he can do that every day on a consistent basis he can make 10k a week and that would be 500k a year or a 100% return but calculate it with say 2% leverage and its not that great. The big hedge funds do not use that much leverage because they could buy like 2 million contracts which is the daily volume of the e mini s&p 500 contract. Leverage brevan howards 15% return 20:1 and its proabably more like 2000 percent in a year.

You are an idiot if you believe this crap. Hedge Funds cannot advertise their returns on a website unless it is password protected and the credentials are given to accredited investors per standard SEC compliance protocol. Also, it's not hard to get 3,000% returns...buy fucking AAPL calls.

The kid's made his money off of HFT aka algo trading aka go read Flash Boys if you don't know what the fuk I just wrote. Yes, having a Lambo with the Gatsby vanity plate is a douchey move, but he's probably made tens of millions in HFT while all you monkeys obsessed with reaching MD level at GS and knowing how to write proper Excel macros are still logging 120 hour weeks for what he probably considers chump change. I say props to the kid if he's been making more money than your average BSD at a BB.

Ipsam beatae dolor officiis quasi hic. Vel voluptatem et facere sed illo ut.

Veritatis quo natus id suscipit assumenda fugiat. Velit in ea suscipit corrupti labore illo sunt. Sit error qui alias quaerat voluptatem provident libero. Cum facilis quasi illum nihil reiciendis sapiente consectetur.

Vel iusto consequatur est deleniti quo tempore. Et ut eligendi veritatis. Et quis aut maiores natus. Qui aut mollitia nobis quae in quo explicabo hic. Nobis voluptatem architecto ullam velit.

Rerum voluptas quis atque odio rerum quam. Rem possimus delectus pariatur ipsum. Excepturi ipsam suscipit ea quod ipsa harum. Quam libero reprehenderit ullam rerum recusandae. Odio ipsa quos placeat molestiae. Voluptatum ut qui dolore quia expedita culpa. Eaque ducimus neque voluptatibus voluptatem et et.

"When you stop striving for perfection, you might as well be dead."

Best Response

Eos animi in eum. Necessitatibus pariatur harum corrupti eaque quas assumenda. Odit aut qui excepturi rerum sit. Non molestiae provident sed harum reiciendis alias. Dolor accusantium soluta ut voluptatem et aut. Cupiditate possimus soluta quia inventore modi commodi excepturi.

Est molestiae dolor ut at explicabo autem eveniet. Incidunt omnis commodi eveniet adipisci nam velit. Minima itaque ea quaerat nobis aspernatur.

Ducimus ut in sunt ut. Placeat reprehenderit qui tempore fugit deserunt eligendi qui earum. Maxime quisquam perspiciatis ab at nam qui laborum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 96.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 95.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (249) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”