Common Interview question: If I had to raise 100K, what would the process be?

so theres a common question thats asked in many interviews, that is a little unfamiliar to many candidates. what do you think the answer to this question would be, how would you go about answering it, are they talking about the normal IB method used?

Question: If I had to raise 100 thousand dollars today what would be the process to do so?

IlliniProgrammer:
Yeah. A lot of questions to be asking there.

In a markets interview where a friendly dose of snark is permissible, my answer to his vague question would be that he probably has a house with equity in it and he can take out a HELOC or a second mortgage. :D

I would piggy back on this and tell him, should he not have that 100k in equity already, he should take what equity he does have then subscribe to this service my friend has. It's penny stock advice and they routinely get 40000% returns! Its really a can't miss kinda thing

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

I'd just try to spew out as much stuff as possible about capital raising, keeping my answers very broad and continuing to use assumptions. I think the point of this question is more about seeing your thought process and overall understanding of the industry rather than giving a "correct" answer.

Naturally you'd probably want to start by considering debt v. equity... then I'd probably branch out into specific methodologies beyond that on both sides of the equation.

"You've got to belong to it."

Accusantium et nemo modi ut illo. Officiis maiores quam deleniti beatae. Error placeat sed eos dolorem expedita. Ut sed ad at officia sed aut commodi. Blanditiis quibusdam provident rem qui nihil consequuntur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”