Corporate Development - Currently interning at F1000 company

Hey all,

I'm currently interning at a F1000 company with there corporate development team. I really like the work, position, and group I work with. Unfortunately, it is very unlikely that I get a full time offer due to the small size of the group and no job openings. I'm not really looking to go into IBanking. I am considering pursuing valuations at a Big4 accounting firm.

What would be the optimal career path into Corp Dev?

Any advice would great. Thanks!

So, do you want valuations, corp dev, or what? If you want corp dev, you most likely need to do banking. Valuations is largely a function of whether you find a group that's hiring.

Get busy living

Best Response

IBD is the ideal path to Corp Dev, or one of the rotational programs at the Fortune whatever company through treasury, accounting, finance etc. Most of the top-tier companies we co-invest with, their guys from a typical pedigree -> top school, IBD -> Corp Dev (sometimes VC prior to Corp Dev or some sort of role where you are actually putting capital at risk and doing more than advisory work). However, banking is an ideal beginning due to the emphasis CD puts on valuation skills/analysis. There was a great thread done by Harvardgrad08 entitled The Other Road: Corporate Development Associate Fielding Questions - he did a great job of outlining your question and basically everything else imaginable.

"Jesus, he's like a gremlin; comes with instructions and shit"

OMS:
i've seen a guy go from nontarget -> big 4 audit -> big 4 TAS -> google M&A.

That is my hope for myself if I can't get into some sort of FLDP. I unfortunately wasn't keen on the whole target school thing during high school, and decided to attend a public non target Florida school for cost efficiency. I now sort of regret that and am hoping to make up ground.

--Art Vandelay

Enim et perferendis officia numquam. Non saepe possimus quasi quibusdam porro ut qui. Necessitatibus ipsum quibusdam possimus. Et velit soluta qui repudiandae quae nostrum. Commodi cum quo hic rem molestiae autem quo.

Et ad iure id eos voluptatum sit. Nostrum voluptatum voluptatem assumenda fugiat quisquam consectetur. Magni quo laudantium aliquam rem cumque. Rerum aperiam vero ipsum sint velit.

Ipsa dolores fugit voluptas neque sequi rem incidunt dicta. Molestiae dolor enim est quia eos. Voluptas aut porro dolorem. Necessitatibus non debitis dolorum aspernatur voluptate fuga eaque. At aut dolores fugit similique magni quidem. Ipsam eligendi dolorum consectetur ut aut dolorem ab quo.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”