• Sharebar

Hi there,
shortly before Christmas I received my 2nd offer from a BB, but ultimately decided to sign with the first bank. From what I've read on this forum, you should call and decline the offer verbally.
Should I call HR or the person who extended the offer in the first place, who is usually a senior banker? Personally, I would prefer calling HR, b/c it makes me feel less guilty :P

Comments (5)

  • seamlessftw's picture

    Call both of them, especially if you want to maintain a good relationship with the firm. Remember to be grateful on the phone.

  • BankonBanking's picture

    I would call the person who extended the offer to you and then email HR (since I'm assuming that even if a banker gave you the news, HR had some communication with you regarding offer terms, etc) just to take the time and let them know your decision. Additionally, I would consider reaching out to any of your contacts who really pushed for you and/or knew you received an offer - you don't want them to think that you had them make a big push only to blow off the opportunity. Essentially, just cover your bases, let everyone quickly know your decision, and briefly why you went that way - thank them again and sign off - this should help you to not burn any bridges. Beyond that, accept the other offer and good luck.

  • GordonsGecko's picture

    Call both. You'll need that person's help later. I had to decline a few offers and boy was it awkward but just make sure to not burn any bridges

  • runningcitylikediddy's picture

    To unlock this content for free, please login / register below.

    Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google

    Connecting helps us build a vibrant community. We'll never share your info without your permission. Sign up with email or if you are already a member, login here Bonus: Also get 6 free financial modeling lessons for free ($200+ value) when you register!