Did You get a post-MBA M/B/B offer with a <700 GMAT?

Clearly, >700 is where one would like to be. I know people have gotten in with less. Yes, I have read the other posts. My questions are:

1) Did you or someone you know get an offer with a sub-700 GMAT?

2) How much can my first semester GPA help hedge my chances? (I have a 650 and heading to Fuqua - there will be no retake).

3) Is the unofficial GMAT cutoff only for getting the interview? I.e. do they ignore the score once you get to the interview or is it still part of the decision?

Thanks guys.

I've seen interviews handed out to candidates with scores as low as 650, but not without the recommendation of someone pretty senior. The only scenarios that usually get someone through the initial screen with scores below 700 are when the person is applying: 1) to a less selective foreign office in a country where they already have work authorization; 2) through an identity politics related program; or 3) with the support of a senior partner or client. Even once they have the interview, you'll often see scores below 670 come back and bite candidates.

The lowest score I've seen for a US office hire in my three years was a 670. His resume was pretty spectacular otherwise though (multiple Ivy/Oxbridge degrees, elite finance experience, etc).

If I were you, and your serious about consulting, I'd retake. GMAT score is one of the few things you can improve at this point. Why not study for a couple of weeks and make it a non-issue?

Reset:
I've seen interviews handed out to candidates with scores as low as 650, but not without the recommendation of someone pretty senior. The only scenarios that usually get someone through the initial screen with scores below 700 are when the person is applying: 1) to a less selective foreign office in a country where they already have work authorization; 2) through an identity politics related program; or 3) with the support of a senior partner or client. Even once they have the interview, you'll often see scores below 670 come back and bite candidates.

The lowest score I've seen for a US office hire in my three years was a 670. His resume was pretty spectacular otherwise though (multiple Ivy/Oxbridge degrees, elite finance experience, etc).

If I were you, and your serious about consulting, I'd retake. GMAT score is one of the few things you can improve at this point. Why not study for a couple of weeks and make it a non-issue?

Not entirely true. If you are below 700 you can still get an interview with MBB. McKinsey and BCG are quite generous to hand out interviews. Almost everyone will get an invite.

Now to receive the offer you will need to work your butt off on the case primarily and on explaining why consulting. The reason why you don't see a lot of people with below 700 with offers is because usually people (keeping everything else constant) with that GMAT project a sense of insecurity in their interview. If you are not confident during your interview, you definitely will botch it. Also, I have seen many people with MBB offers who are not minorities/female or who applied to tough offices.

Reset, thanks for the reply. That's definitely a sobering take on the situation and something I will think through. I have taken it twice and went down on my second attempt. I received similar advice from a contact but he mentioned the "possibility" of proving myself academically, but that sounds like a slight possibility, if any at all.

I appreciate it.

Thanks for that. I like that answer better ;).

Thanks to both of you for the input...well taken.

Maybe I wont use all of my summer to climb moutains and travel....the library may be a better fit.

Ut culpa optio dolorem laborum perferendis vel ad. Sit reiciendis est tempora rerum veritatis blanditiis. Et quisquam eligendi quis placeat sint eius. Sit eum quod recusandae minima magnam ut.

Nisi et voluptate quidem sunt sint optio atque. Ipsum laudantium id perferendis dolorem a.

Et amet illum sint qui. Voluptas exercitationem corrupti dolore.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (551) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”