ManyHenny:

Very possible, provided that you network your ass off and get out of Ops as quickly as possible.

So.... you mean to say no.
When a plumber from Hoboken tells you he has a good feeling about a reverse iron condor spread on the Japanese Yen, you really have no choice. If you don’t do it to him, somebody else surely will. -Eddie B.

Best Response

There was a success story a while ago that made a good point about this. It was called something like Benefits of Being in BO...I'll try to find it.

Basically, he said that working in Ops/BO at a prestigious BB can be beneficial if you are trying to switch industries because they often don't realize there's a difference between BO and FO. So even if you're in Ops, if you have GS on your resume people will recognize it and will probably give you a look.

I don't know from experience if this is true, but it kinda makes sense.

EDIT: I found it. //www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/5-benefits-to-being-in-the-back-office

jbone24:

Anything has value if you can communicate/spin the value to the targeted position.

This.

Spin it correctly and don't give them to room to grill you (read: cover your bases).

Jbone is right, but why not just go straight to F500 to get the more relevant experience. If u can get BB ops you should be able to get FA gig. Even if your FA is not at F500 it's a better experience.

To be clear FA is entry level. You shouldn't be targeting FA if you have done experience. Get meaningful experience and try to come in as an SFA.

twitter: @CorpFin_Guy

accountingbyday:

Jbone is right, but why not just go straight to F500 to get the more relevant experience. If u can get BB ops you should be able to get FA gig. Even if your FA is not at F500 it's a better experience.

To be clear FA is entry level. You shouldn't be targeting FA if you have done experience. Get meaningful experience and try to come in as an SFA.

From my experience, it is a lot easier to get interviews for BB ops than F500 FA. Also, I was using FA in the generic sense. Some companies call a position FA when it requires 3-5 years experience. I have seen some that call positions entry level FA and they require up to 3 years experience.

"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man." ― William Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing

I am an analyst at a F500 and it is so easy to get interviews regardless of your background for the most part. As long as you have a few things that tie together why you are a candidate, such as:

1.) Education (Finance or Accounting related) 2.) Experience (Maybe you did a lot of excel stuff during your ops experience) 3.) Industry (Apply to F500 jobs that are related to the industry you worked ops in)

I successfully got interviews at several F500s before having analyst experience just based off any one of those 3 I mentioned above.

Sequi ut similique aut reiciendis ea aperiam commodi. Voluptatem voluptatem enim sit consequatur qui ea voluptate. Sint iste eius eaque corrupti temporibus alias aliquid numquam.

Omnis illo corporis inventore dolore unde repellat eum. Amet ea rem et ut. Optio voluptatem consequatur vitae sint. Rerum distinctio sequi voluptate dignissimos sed saepe facilis.

Voluptates quaerat odio cum beatae. Distinctio odio nemo inventore. Veniam velit libero in iste similique odit. Minima voluptate ratione odio impedit quas praesentium et. Id expedita aspernatur vel magnam qui. Voluptas fuga ipsam mollitia ut quos. Similique modi quasi nesciunt enim omnis repudiandae.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”