thebrofessor:

was waiting for this. Duke's a great school, and certainly places well, but for what this forum wants it's still now HSW. people on WSO forget that there are people out there who get MBAs and want to do something other than finance, hence the rankings by these people that are not exactly the same as @Brady4MVP's latest tirade.

Brady4MVP aside, regardless of what you want to do (tech, whatever), you're probably not going to turn down Duke for HSW, let's be real.

Ranking method is different than other rankings, thus the diference. "Bloomberg Businessweek ranks schools on three measures: how company recruiters rate MBA hires in a survey, which accounts for 45 percent of each school’s score; how graduating MBAs judge their program in a separate survey, which makes up another 45 percent; and a tally of faculty research published in noted journals, which constitutes the remaining 10 percent. The employer survey was changed from the 2012 ranking cycle to better reflect the breadth of the recruiting landscape and to collect more data on how well MBAs do in the workplace. Some 1,300 recruiters were surveyed, up from 250, and they were asked to rate schools based on how well their graduates performed in the areas most important to employers."

This ranking is more accurate

Cluster 1: HBS, Stanford Cluster 1a: Wharton Cluster 2: Booth, Sloan, Columbia, Kellogg (M7) Cluster 2a: Haas, Tuck Cluster 3: Stern, Ross, Darden, Fuqua, Yale, Cornell, Anderson (All peers) Cluster 4: McCombs, Tepper, Gozuieta, Kenan-Flager (Regional)

MBAGrad10:

This ranking is more accurate

Cluster 1: HBS, Stanford
Cluster 1a: Wharton
Cluster 2: Booth, Sloan, Columbia, Kellogg (M7)
Cluster 2a: Haas, Tuck
Cluster 3: Stern, Ross, Darden, Fuqua, Yale, Cornell, Anderson (All peers)
Cluster 4: McCombs, Tepper, Gozuieta, Kenan-Flager (Regional)

Cluster 5482: U of Phoenix, Strayer, Devry, Kaplan (all a joke)

"Decide what to be and go be it." - The Avett Brothers

Best Response
thebrofessor:

what about SNHU?

The fact that they haven't been in the for-profit shit list as long as the others puts them all the way up to cluster 5475. What's next Northern Midwest Delaware Polytechnic U? They should seriously ban these. The only way any of these are a good idea is if you are a 15 year government employee, set to work 5 or 10 more years to retire, and they tell you that you can make 25k more per year if you just get an MBA. If they're paying for it, it makes sense. I have a friend who's an IRS auditor, and she has a Phoenix MBA. Only reason why is because they don't care where it's from and that was the cheapest. I'm doing grad school online because I can't leave the wife and kids for 4 nights a week. My company is paying for 100% of it, so I'm trying to get into Kelley at IU so that my degree has some clout. My employer would laugh at me if I brought Webster University to the table.

Just one more reason why no one takes Businessweek rankings seriously. The one that matters, the one that employers and students care about, is the US News rankings. And that rightfully has HSW at the top, followed by Booth, which is rapidly closing in on Wharton.

Just saw this ranking; a little late in the day, I admit. This is pretty amazing news, and I would bet you that most Fuqua students are surprised as well. I'll be digging into some of the numbers and will revert on this --- I've crunched some numbers with John Byrne from P&Q, so will see what comes up. I've even written for P&Q on why you should take rankings with a grain of salt (here's a copy of the article I reposted on my blog http://masteradmissions.com/mba-rankings-take-grain-salt/)

Good for them! So in the rankings game, depending on whom you ask, everybody's a winner.

Betsy Massar Come see me at my Q&A thread http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/b-school-qa-w-betsy-massar-of-master-admissions Ask away!

Well, I just went through the whole article and I am still scratching my head. I think there may be some problems with those who fill out the survey, at least on the employer/recruiter side. Here's a key point from the article:

During the 13 previous times that Businessweek surveyed corporate recruiters–in the past doing upfront diligence to insure that only a senior level human resources official in charge of MBA recruiting for a company filled out the survey–Duke never did better than seventh place and was 14th twice. Over that timeframe, the school’s natural employer rank was slightly higher than tenth place–a long way from its No. 2 showing this year after the changes in methodology.

Again, not to take away from Fuqua, but I do think some quantitative analysis of this survey, and the methodology is in order.

So now I guess when my candidates tell me that they are looking to Fuqua as a safety, I might have to show them the BW survey, for better or worse.

Betsy Massar Come see me at my Q&A thread http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/b-school-qa-w-betsy-massar-of-master-admissions Ask away!

Betsy Massar:

Well, I just went through the whole article and I am still scratching my head. I think there may be some problems with those who fill out the survey, at least on the employer/recruiter side. Here's a key point from the article:

During the 13 previous times that Businessweek surveyed corporate recruiters–in the past doing upfront diligence to insure that only a senior level human resources official in charge of MBA recruiting for a company filled out the survey–Duke never did better than seventh place and was 14th twice. Over that timeframe, the school’s natural employer rank was slightly higher than tenth place–a long way from its No. 2 showing this year after the changes in methodology.

Again, not to take away from Fuqua, but I do think some quantitative analysis of this survey, and the methodology is in order.

So now I guess when my candidates tell me that they are looking to Fuqua as a safety, I might have to show them the BW survey, for better or worse.

But Betsy, aren't all of the methodologies a bit skewed in each methodology? I know that some schools have even dropped their application fees in order to receive more applications, with the same number of entrants, giving them a higher rejection rate. Doesn't the fact that their methodology is public create an incentive for schools (and students with their survey responses) to figure out a way to game the system? Some of the comments in the original article made a good point about the possibility that students at 2nd and 3rd tier schools could answer the survey portion overly optimistic in order to bump the prestige of their school. Just seems that the wide ranging rankings seems head scratching, as you say. Maybe the next step is a rankings system that takes the 5 or so top published rankings and creates some type of weighted average to rank schools.

wareagle4230:
Maybe the next step is a rankings system that takes the 5 or so top published rankings and creates some type of weighted average to rank schools.

Weighted average of crap is still crap.

This to all my hatin' folks seeing me getting guac right now..

Yes, all of the rankings have problems, but I am pointing out the alumni recruiting boosterism because it seems to have changed the norm in such a big way. I'm looking for the experts to slice and dice it for me before I do anything more than wonder aloud.
If you really want to get into the nitty gritty of ranking problems, read Matt Turner's P&Q article here http://poetsandquants.com/2014/01/12/nine-biggest-mistakes-in-mba-ranki…

wareagle4230:
Betsy Massar:

But Betsy, aren't all of the methodologies a bit skewed in each methodology? I know that some schools have even dropped their application fees in order to receive more applications, with the same number of entrants, giving them a higher rejection rate. Doesn't the fact that their methodology is public create an incentive for schools (and students with their survey responses) to figure out a way to game the system? Some of the comments in the original article made a good point about the possibility that students at 2nd and 3rd tier schools could answer the survey portion overly optimistic in order to bump the prestige of their school. Just seems that the wide ranging rankings seems head scratching, as you say. Maybe the next step is a rankings system that takes the 5 or so top published rankings and creates some type of weighted average to rank schools.

Why do we continuously use the world 'methodology' improperly?

“Elections are a futures market for stolen property”

I want to see each ranking post both THIS year's and a prediction for NEXT year's ranking and a discussion on why they think its going to change. These drastic fluctuations make no sense.

As a recruiter and a b-school grad from one of these colleges, I don't believe UNC, UCLA and Tepper are better than MIT, Tuck and Darden. I'm not sure if respondents are being truly honest about how they feel about their colleges.

I'm not sure it matters that much about how thy feel about their colleges. They only went to one b-school, how are they in a prime position to compare it to another? Lets look at cross-admits instead.

Ad itaque consectetur autem nemo dolor illo. Eligendi fugiat beatae voluptas alias qui rerum.

Aut eos facilis reprehenderit voluptatem perferendis magni. Facilis voluptatibus sed minus cum ullam recusandae. Ut eveniet reprehenderit eos est aut temporibus. Omnis maiores enim eaque quasi accusamus explicabo incidunt est. Nihil natus corrupti cum dolorem quam placeat. Modi cum laudantium dolores. Pariatur quo aut nesciunt quidem.

Temporibus suscipit sint dolor aliquid voluptatum magni explicabo quia. Eum nesciunt nemo rerum non velit eum exercitationem atque. Et aut reiciendis est dolore molestiae saepe. Nulla eaque id harum omnis. Odit consequatur odit aliquam officia quo nam laboriosam veniam. Et officia autem impedit odio.

Suscipit fugit blanditiis eum maxime. Deserunt natus qui id vitae quasi incidunt. Est enim dolorem earum eveniet dolorem molestiae. Nihil quia aliquid autem dolores in quia beatae. Sit enim quos aliquid. Corrupti excepturi nulla dolor omnis id quod tenetur numquam. Blanditiis dolores reprehenderit reprehenderit dicta velit.

Odio minima laborum aliquam fuga dolores alias voluptate. Voluptatem id ab est voluptatibus laudantium inventore ut. Eligendi sunt eveniet perspiciatis voluptatem facere. Aperiam ducimus aut sequi ut recusandae et incidunt molestias.

Cum facere natus nisi non corrupti ea quia facilis. Quasi vitae in eius quibusdam fugiat doloribus. Corrupti odio est deserunt sint aut rem non ea. Error sapiente quae asperiores asperiores autem.

Reprehenderit omnis ea saepe dignissimos suscipit. Est qui est similique dolore quis optio quidem magnam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (85) $262
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (65) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (198) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (143) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”