Duke MMS Thread

So I am eagerly waiting to hear back if I got into the program or not (Decision release date is May 14th for my application round)

I just wanted to hear back from those who got in to the program for this coming year.

What was your background/gpa/work experience/gmat score like and what are your goals coming out of the program? (IB, Consulting, etc,)

And also what are you guys doing for housing?

I'll start:

• Engineering Background
  • multiple engineering internship experience and 1 year of full time experience
  • Currently doing an IB internship at a Boutique
  • 660 GMAT
  • Looking to obtain an analyst gig at a MM or BB, preferably in a tech or industrials group working on M&A

I have not had an interview yet, and yes I applied for the March 30th deadline.

I'm hoping to hear something soon, I have my fingers crossed

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis - when I was dead broke man I couldn't picture this

Still waiting as well. Some of my materials weren't in on time, so I think they started reviewing my app as of Wednesday of last week, so I might hear back from them fairly late. Considering two other acceptances and waiting on LSE still.

Profile: 710 GMAT, 1.75 years FT in Credit Risk Mgmt, Overall 3.2, Finance 3.6 Also looking for analyst level MM/BB IB in an energy focused group. I wonder if my 1.75 years FT would disadvantage me from these jobs though.

Jiggy:
Still waiting as well. Some of my materials weren't in on time, so I think they started reviewing my app as of Wednesday of last week, so I might hear back from them fairly late. Considering two other acceptances and waiting on LSE still.

Profile: 710 GMAT, 1.75 years FT in Credit Risk Mgmt, Overall 3.2, Finance 3.6 Also looking for analyst level MM/BB IB in an energy focused group. I wonder if my 1.75 years FT would disadvantage me from these jobs though.

Did you ever find out if your full-time experience will work agaisnt you for entry level analyst positions? I am in the same circumstances, working for a F500 right now and studying for the GMAT, Duke MMS is where I would like to go for a MS in hopes of moving into finance. Wondering if your strategy is working and if you have any suggestions for me.

FinancialNoviceII:
I applied in the previous deadline. Interview is relatively easy, based upon your CV and career choices.

Can you tell us what the interview questions are? Thanks in advance.

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis - when I was dead broke man I couldn't picture this

idragmazda:
FinancialNoviceII:
I applied in the previous deadline. Interview is relatively easy, based upon your CV and career choices.

Can you tell us what the interview questions are? Thanks in advance.

Seconded. Thanks in advance.

Btw, i heard that interview invites went out this week. Not sure if everyone gets one; I got mine just today.

RatinaMaze:
Congratulations. I am applying in the final round. I am an international student from Australia.

What are your stats like?

Mine:

University of Melbourne 3.5GPA Interning at PWM firm in Sydney GMAT 680

Hopefully international students are OK for application

I think that is a solid background. And I think they would probably love to have international students as it would round out the class. Good luck to you!

idragmazda:
How did everyone's interviews go this week?

hi, i have a question. do they send all the invitations only in one day? or they will continue to send interview invitations?

wuzhao:
idragmazda:
How did everyone's interviews go this week?

hi, i have a question. do they send all the invitations only in one day? or they will continue to send interview invitations?

No clue, sorry

Had my interview today, I think it went well.

The Duke MBA I spoke to was very friendly and very smart.

Excited to hear back in a few weeks. Good luck to everyone!

I hear once you get admitted to the program, you get access to the rest of the classes contact info through an MMS facebook page. I'm assuming thats how you link up to find roommates.

I think someone already made an unofficial secret fb group (trust me, having an invitation only secret group really helps) for MMS 2012. If you guys send me your fb profiles, I can send you an invite. Also, I am leaving Durham by the end of May but my lease isn't up till July 10th. If you guys need a sublet for a month while you figure out where you wanna live let me know. I live in a three bedroom and all of us are leaving.

I just talked to a person at the admissions office because I thought maybe I didnt get in for round 4, because on the application website it said:

Date Submitted: March 25 and Application Completion: March 31 (so naturally i was like WTF! so I freaked out)

But its all good, she said the decision has NOT been released yet, but it should be any moment now. She said they have been having some issues with the server.

Good luck!

I was hoping to hear in the morning so that I will know of the decision when I wake up...and here I am still waiting, ha. I hope they fix the server soon.

Ha, great. You'd figure that since they are only accepting around 20 ppl this round, they could call them individually if the server problem persists for a few days... I am just NOT being productive today...

hi guys i know no one has posted in here for a while, but anyone applied round 5? my stuff was late as well, and I didn't receive any interview yet (maybe i won't perhaps). i read on facebook that they were still accepting applicants due to space... i'm really nervous.

this is the only "calling all members" thread online -- so round 4 people, what was the gap between your app submission, interview, and acceptance?

I can figure it out from the posts above, but wanted to make sure.

thx!!

Some people must have gotten rejected because I read that 4 times as many people applied this year (I'm assuming 100 x 4 = 400 people) and the class is only 100 people (about 75 students actually registered on the FB private page).

Yeah that would be great. I know there is quite a few kids who are planning to start an Energy club. Send me a PM when you decide to come.

Your guys stats make this non-target liberal arts guy feel totally outclassed! It honestly makes me wonder if I should even be considering this program. Without any internships or experience, I have a feeling I'd get killed in interviews for good jobs.

"There are only two opinions in this world: Mine and the wrong one." -Jeremy Clarkson

Thats good to hear, (for me anyways) I'm going to try and use my last year and half of undergrad to network and build up something resembling a resume. I'd love to break into finance (MM banks in particular) but have nothing to go on as of now.

"There are only two opinions in this world: Mine and the wrong one." -Jeremy Clarkson

I'm in the program now, and its definitely NOT undergrad 2.0.

This is straight up a business school program, and they try to cram pretty much all of the "general" courses you would take in an MBA program into one year (15 courses, over 11 months, its intense). The quality of work they (the Duke Fuqua MBA professors) expect out of you is what they expect out of their MBA students.

B-school is a totally different mindset coming from undergrad. The grading is NOT based on an A/B/C/D scale. Its all relative, and only 25% of the class is permitted to get grades higher than a "3.5". Very intense for sure. Nearly half of your work is team based and they put you in teams that you would not normally get along with (you fill out psych tests before you start the program).

The Fuqua staff has really done a great job of taking their MBA program and bringing it down to a scale for use by those with less experience.

At first I was planning to use this program just for recruiting, buts evolved into much more than that. They really develop you here, and it happens really quickly so you are much more polished than kids coming right out of undergrad.

Obviously if you had the chance to go straight into banking after undergrad, you really don't need this. But if you want a second chance at recruiting, and you're a non finance/business major like me, this program is pretty much a "boot camp" to get you ready for banking, consulting, or marketing.

And for workload: You are in school 7 days a week, even if you don't want to be, its intense, but very rewarding.

You are forced to become a great communicator and presenter, and they really teach you how to develop your networking skills (its like the networking/fit/technical interview guides sold by WSO all crammed into your various courses)

OCR is getting better, but I would never suggest relying on that, even if you were a Duke MBA. The Fuqua Alum are amazing, and VERY helpful, especially those who work in Finance.

Thats a nice update on the program. I'm really interested to see how recruiting for finance positions will go over the next year or so. If I were to get in, it's highly doubtful I'd be competitive for IBD, but any decent banking job would be nice get my foot in the door.

Hi, I am a junior in college and I am looking into MMS/MSF programs and Duke's has really caught my eye. I have a couple questions, one dealing with financial aid. Duke says MMS students are offered financial aid.

http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/student_resources/financial_aid_mms/

How does it work? I'm going to assume it's not as good as regular, undergrad Financial Aid, is it? My sister is going to college next year (when I'll be a senior) so I expect my EFC would go down a little bit. Since I would be 22 when I would start a MMS/MSF program would I still be considered dependent for FA purposes? Say if my EFC (based off of parents income and having a younger sibling in college) was ~$25,000, would I get some money?

Not really sure how grad school FA works. I thought colleges kind of distanced you from your parents after undergrad, but I'm not really sure.

How is the Duke MMS FA? (any good or only for super poor people?) MSF financial aid in general? Any good?

Oh and one more thing, is the MMS COA really $65,000? I will be on my parents bill for insurance as long as I am in school (old policy, not sure with Democrats healthcare plan) and I guess with Obamacare I'll be on their plan until I am 26? So that looks like a big savings, so academically I'd only have to drop $43-44,000, but they estimated over $20,000 for living expenses...what!? I could live for half of that in undergrad and Durham is not a huge city high a high cost of living. Not like I would have to live off of ramen either but I think $20,000 is a bit crazy. Can any current/past students comment on this.

http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/student_resources/financial_aid_mms/estimated…

Thank you!

I had zero money saved up for this program, and student loans cover all of it. about 20% is subsidized, but the process of getting loans is painless. Tuition is about 45K and they give you about 20K for living expenses (but you can take out as much as you needed for the Grad Plus loans). All you do is fill out the application forms once you are accepted (they give you instructions how), and it all happens very quickly and painlessly. Tuition is automatically paid for, and the excess is sent to you via check or by direct deposit (depending on what you have set up)

and 20K gets realistic really quickly, going out multiple times a week, going out to eat, it all adds up VERY fast.

Oh I forgot to mention dry cleaning and having enough business casual clothing to wear to class everyday (although not everyone adheres to the rules).

idragmazda, Duke really the shit? I was accepted this year and didnt go. I was set for USC but a death in the family prevented me from going. I kinda regret passing on Duke. Whats the placement opps like thus far, i.e. campus visits etc? I might consider chucking in an app for next year depending on where I am. Always good to have options.

Hmmm, alright interesting.

Yikes, so you are borrowing all $65k. I guess that is not that bad, do you know if Duke gave anyone financial aid or merit scholarships? The websites says they do, but it is probably for super poor people and the merit awards are for kids with 3.95 and 770 GMATs.

I'm hesitant to dish out this kind of money for a program, but I might have to.

09-10 class placement here: http://msfhq.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/DukeMMSFinalEmploymentStats…

Not too shabby. Do you think it is worth the $65k idrag? I'd also like to get my MBA later in life so taking on $65k of debt plus MBA debt isn't exactly thrilling, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do I guess.

thank you.

Financial novice - coming from a state school background, this was the best decision I ever made in my life, both personally and professionally. The social life is amazing (if you make an effort to know everyone) and the academic life is challenging, but very rewarding since it's alll stuff you NEED to use on the job.

Big Daddy- if 65k is the price to pay to have the career you really want, it's totally worth it. If you do, let's say, get that dream "BB gig", in the long run (20 hrs career or so), 65k is not much...that's how I think about it. Also, I don't know why people rely on OCR for recruiting, it's slightly "better" than resume dropping on a company's website but not as effective as networking. Buy the WSO networking guide, read it, and apply those skills - it will take you VERY far, especially at a school like Duke where the Alumni go to great lengths to help students.

As far as placement: it's getting a lot better, more firms are recognizing the value of the MMS degree and they are warming up to it very well. Like I said in the previous post: networking is your best friend at Fuqua.

Merit scholarships: if you apply in earlier rounds you qualify, I applied late so I didn't qualify - I don't know anyone who got one (never asked I guess).

One of my HS friends is in the program this year and landed an investment banking gig at a boutique firm. They were also rumored to place one in McKinsey. Sounds like it's improving but I'm not ready to gamble my future on it yet.

I was really thinking about the program but an MMS is still so unheard of in the US. I opted to go to a masters of accounting program down the highway from Durham ;). I am still learning how to hate duke properly.

the program starts in July, and most people graduate in mid-May..what do people generally do between mid-May and the beginning of the program? I feel like nothing serious can be done in such a short time (probably only one month left after all the packing and preparing stuff)

I will appreciate any insights on this problem.

thanks!

Hi folks, I need your help. Considering my profile, I am not sure if I should apply in Duke MMS.

Majors: Computer Science and Engineering GPA: 3.52 University: International Institute of Information Technology Hyderabad, India Graduating in: 2013 Experience: Summer research project in Shanghai, China; other clubs and positions at University GMAT: scheduled to give on October 30, 2012 short term goal: consultancy in education sector

Would really appreciate any help in deciding if I should apply for Duke MMS

You're a weaker candidate b/c of GPA, but its tempered w/ your CS/Engineering double-major, so you'll probably be given a little bit more 'leeway'. Other than that you look remarkably average so a lot will ride on your GMAT so that's your first priority. Crack the GMAT and your chances definitely improve. That being said, I'm under the impression that Duke's MMS isn't impossible to break into and w/ a few improvements to your CV and a good GMAT, you'll get through. An issue to think about is how competitive you'll be once you're accepted and get on campus. You'll have to compete against your peers and UG's so beefing up your resume and networking should be a priority once the GMAT's out of the way.

'Before you enter... be willing to pay the price'

@ BepBep12 Thank you for replying. But I think, given that mean GPA was 3.4, my GPA is decent. But may be the overall profile, because of lack of a finance internship or full time work-ex, is on the downside. I am targeting a GMAT score of 710+. Still I think I will give Duke MMS a try.

Thanks.

If you are screwing up and no one is telling you anything, it means no one cares about you.

goutamtulsiyan:
@ BepBep12 Thank you for replying. But I think, given that mean GPA was 3.4, my GPA is decent. But may be the overall profile, because of lack of a finance internship or full time work-ex, is on the downside. I am targeting a GMAT score of 710+. Still I think I will give Duke MMS a try.

Thanks.

If you are screwing up and no one is telling you anything, it means no one cares about you.

Yeah, I mean you don't really have much to lose besides $100... pretty small gamble for a great potential payoff.

'Before you enter... be willing to pay the price'

@ BepBep12 Finished with GMAT. got 710 (quant=50, 90 percentile, verbal=35, 75 percentile). And cany you help me with one more thing ? My GPA is 8.82/10 (India follows a 10 point scale). Do you know how to convert it to US based grading system? I believe dividing it by 2.5 is the wrong way to approach it.

ahh this old thread!

My update: I graduated from the program in May, started working at a financial services firm in their corporate strategy/internal management consulting group (comp is near MBB 1st year analyst, with very easy hours, so I lucked out). I wanted MM IB out of this, and almost landed at BB IBD (but screwed up 1 single part of the superday). Nevertheless, better off than where I was before the program started.

I still plan to get my MBA in a few years. Good luck everybody.

@idragmazda I want to apply to Duke MMS this year. My stats: Indian male (graduating in 2013) , GPA = 8.82/10, GMAT = 710 (q=50;v=35), Computer Science and Engineering majors form top 10 Indian School, research experience; Summer research in Shanghai, China. extra curricular = internship and placement co-ordinator, teaching volunteer for slum kids. Are my chances any good. Also is it difficult for international students to get a job after graduating from Duke MMS ?

goutamtulsiyan:
@idragmazda I want to apply to Duke MMS this year. My stats: Indian male (graduating in 2013) , GPA = 8.82/10, GMAT = 710 (q=50;v=35), Computer Science and Engineering majors form top 10 Indian School, research experience; Summer research in Shanghai, China. extra curricular = internship and placement co-ordinator, teaching volunteer for slum kids. Are my chances any good. Also is it difficult for international students to get a job after graduating from Duke MMS ?

In my opinion, if you write a well-reasoned essay and interview well, you should be fine. I don't think your stats and your background will keep you out at all (they may scrutinize your essay a little more, given your lower verbal score, but I wouldn't really worry since you have a 710).

I know international students in my class had more difficulty landing positions within the US. Not because of the MMS degree, but actually because not many US employers were sponsoring visas. However, those who did network hard did end up with something. Those who ended up going back to their home countries ended up landing great gigs. I know people who went back to china, europe, etc and landed at BB banking and MBB consulting.

• 22, M -Currently living in the Orlando, FL area -Econ/Applied Math state school Background -Planning on going into M&A while also looking into/considering S&T -Currently looking for a roommate or two as well and expecting to move up to Durham Memorial Day weekend (PM as well if you're interested)

Really looking forward to getting a good group started here before we even start the program. See you guys soon.

Hi guys!

I'm trying to get in an application for the last round. Hopefully I will still be accepted.

My background is Political science major, minor in Econ, from Brown, 3.8GPA, still have to take the GRE, scheduled a month from now but may push it up.

Does my profile sound like someone whose likely to get in? If you dont mind me asking, what were your profiles like?

Hi Class! Looking forward to seeing you all in July.

• 22, Male
  • Originally from Houston, TX
  • Just graduated from Syracuse University with majors in broadcast journalism, finance and accounting
  • Interned at JP Morgan Chase last summer
  • Have lots of experience in media and entertainment; freelance for various national publications in both broadcast and print
  • I would like to do fixed income sales (preferably commodities, but am open to others)
  • Don't have housing yet, but would prefer to live within a 10 minute walking distance to campus. I won't have a car.

futurectdoc:
If you have a good job, why would you?

The job I have was more of a 12 month thing. They have plans to reassess and all indications I will get a permanent position but I do like the flexibility the program offers and ideally would like to get into a different sector.

I was hired to work at the Economist Group.

Agreed with the above - many people use it to get a second shot at OCR (or to get OCR at all if they come from a non-target). It apparently places reasonably well into consulting roles (couple of offers from just the Midwest of one MBB firm); I'm not sure about any other jobs though.

If you're happy with what you're doing, I don't think there's much value. It's certainly not going to give you an MBA network or credential...

signposts:
Agreed with the above - many people use it to get a second shot at OCR (or to get OCR at all if they come from a non-target). It apparently places reasonably well into consulting roles (couple of offers from just the Midwest of one MBB firm); I'm not sure about any other jobs though.

If you're happy with what you're doing, I don't think there's much value. It's certainly not going to give you an MBA network or credential...

I do like my job but I do think the program has quite a lot of value for someone with a background like mine. I would be interested in consulting work.

I actually hung out with a bunch of the people from that program a couple weeks ago. It's a more diverse group of people that I expected, both in terms of undergrad education and career goals. Actually out of the 15 people I know, only 1 person wanted to be in banking.

I think there's a finance concentration so maybe all the people I met were from the more general management science program, but at least from what I understand the curriculum is very broad, encompassing strategy, marketing, and communications, etc etc etc... Depends on what you want to get out of it, I guess. I really liked the people though, and they seem like a really close group. Oh and Durham is a shithole.

I don't accept sacrifices and I don't make them. ... If ever the pleasure of one has to be bought by the pain of the other, there better be no trade at all. A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud.

Doloremque et assumenda ut in aut. Exercitationem dolorum fuga sit.

Quis vel temporibus ut alias distinctio. Vitae nulla sapiente consectetur ut. Unde aut voluptate ipsum aliquam. Sint quia iusto consequuntur. In esse et et. Saepe consequatur enim perferendis eaque qui et.

Dignissimos nulla corrupti rerum optio rerum nisi. Quia rerum modi voluptate autem. Animi velit non veniam. Laboriosam dignissimos enim omnis. Sunt autem est deserunt velit.

Ea minus tempora id. Et magni voluptatem unde esse magnam facilis. Nam modi iste ab est excepturi ad voluptatem. Eum labore tenetur dolore similique.

Qui recusandae hic odio nisi eum dolores. Ut quia consequatur enim quaerat soluta omnis commodi tenetur. Numquam dolorum cum non dolorem autem. Corporis fugit est ut debitis suscipit qui esse in.

Reprehenderit distinctio perferendis recusandae enim labore. Recusandae architecto et reiciendis et eum molestiae repellat.

Necessitatibus dolorem sint expedita unde. Sit at est non veritatis voluptas. Provident velit id ipsa illo voluptate error. Provident impedit modi ad eaque minus ex. Voluptatem laborum aliquid ratione non quia iste dicta. Dignissimos nihil et dignissimos.

Pariatur ex quasi omnis culpa. Rerum velit accusamus expedita sed vitae velit et. Ab similique veniam quis explicabo quidem.

Et consectetur et sunt omnis. Quia cum quia impedit ut ab aut quisquam. Vero enim commodi tempora aperiam et. Excepturi harum qui odit ab culpa. Quasi quas alias voluptate aut sit.

Et adipisci rem molestiae sequi ex. Adipisci esse perferendis rerum architecto quia culpa est.

Atque saepe ipsum sint pariatur. Eius voluptas quisquam qui sint fugiat qui sed. Eveniet eligendi alias exercitationem consequatur quasi cum reprehenderit. Eum ut dolores nobis et omnis consectetur sunt. Veniam vel consectetur sint magni commodi et perferendis. Aliquam et autem cum tempora. Atque voluptas aspernatur consequatur recusandae non ut atque.

Ut quam distinctio alias voluptatem aut aut rem. Expedita maiores tenetur possimus. Est expedita voluptatem magnam et quam voluptatem.

Dolorum numquam quidem ipsa laborum mollitia nemo facilis. Cupiditate maiores deserunt repellendus repudiandae quidem id earum.

Autem iste numquam saepe voluptas delectus cum. Rerum dolorum tenetur harum nihil qui. Consequatur rerum ut quas aut et. Beatae aut exercitationem qui quia vero pariatur.

Quia non doloremque est voluptas aliquam. Qui dolorem dignissimos qui deserunt. Repudiandae nostrum inventore accusamus corrupti ratione. Nihil error eligendi iste expedita eos. Quo harum laboriosam natus ut omnis iusto.

Eligendi cum modi qui deleniti repellat quia. Error blanditiis animi consequatur modi. Et eum quidem aut voluptatem commodi id voluptatibus. Occaecati et consequatur sit vel voluptas nesciunt temporibus. In eaque quod consequuntur qui voluptatem et.

Provident sequi ab quasi quia veniam possimus dolorum. Deleniti aut doloribus qui qui corrupti. Rerum et est facilis beatae non voluptatibus.

Voluptate quos veritatis aliquid rem autem et. Iure eum ut sunt rem aliquam quos. Non consequuntur ea minus totam consequatur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”