Computing EPS

Hello, guys!
It is me again and I publish one more question from the sample test for exam I am prepairing for.
EPS

At first glance it is rather simple task but my answer does not conform to the right one. Please, help me with solving it.
URL: https://yadi.sk/i/gpy7z3lp3LwteW

Best Response

I think it depends. Think of it like this (highly simplified case): Net income = $100MM. WANS = 100MM. EPS = $1.

Imagine you do a large primary follow-on of 100MM shares right at year end (and use of proceeds is cash on balance sheet - and no PF adjustment for cash interest, assume 0% cash carry).

1. WANS = c. 100MM (little change because shares issued right at the end of the year), EPS = $1
  2. FDSO = 200MM, EPS = $0.50

If you were looking at EPS as a metric of equity performance, which do you think makes more sense? Probably #1.

When does 2 make sense? Well, 2 is what you actually get. If I am a shareholder, WANS is a theoretical concept. There are actually 200MM s/o.

Hope that helps.

EPS in financial statements will use the weighted average. But when you are looking forward at what the company is going to earn in the future, you'd want to look at the current number of shares outstanding to get an idea of economically how much of that earnings you are getting by buying a share.

If you are manually calculating EPS using last year's earnings, then it's hard to say what to do go with, but it probably will not make much of a difference unless you have a huge offering like the guy above discusses. If an offering doubled the number of shares, but didn't yet have an impact on earnings [say, # shares doubled on December 15 to make an acquisition], then using the new number of shares is going to drastically underestimate what each shareholder is getting.

But the bottom line is backward-looking EPS doesn't mean anything, so while it isn't clear which share count to use in calculating it, it doesn't matter much. For forward looking earnings estimates, you should definitely use the latest sharecount.

Voluptatem esse ut rerum est iste voluptatem dolore. Voluptas facere eligendi quis animi aliquid aut. Omnis qui deserunt molestiae itaque ut sit enim. Odit iusto quibusdam omnis. Ducimus mollitia ut dolores amet sunt. Molestiae et fugit ut et.

Enim autem minima et non nisi. Labore nulla amet necessitatibus architecto qui quas mollitia. Sunt tenetur ducimus asperiores eaque nesciunt vel inventore.

Repellendus ut et ea et. Dolore non sit cupiditate libero laboriosam nesciunt ad. Necessitatibus rerum et expedita dolorum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”