'Equity' (2016) Movie Review: The Harsh Tale of Women on Wall Street

"Equity" came out last week (limited release) and currently has a 83% rating on Rotten Tomatoes

Coming straight out of 2016 TriBeCa Film Festival, Meera Menon's Equity is dubbed “the first all-female Wall Street movie” by many. It is an incredibly ambitious movie that shows the tougher side of women in finance. Having watched every finance movie out there and memorized the lines of Wall Street and Wolf of Wall Street by heart, it felt extremely refreshing to see a female face in a position of power on the big screen.

Equity follows a high-flying investment banker named Naomi Bishop (Anna Gunn, from Breaking Bad) who sets her eyes on a tech IPO along with co-worker Erin, played by Sarah Megan Thomas. The IPO goes well until a series of rumors threaten to devalue the company. Thus Naomi encounters a situation where no man or woman in her circle can be trusted.

One interesting twist to the story is Naomi’s friendship with Samantha (Alysia Reiner), a prosecutor for the U.S. attorney’s office. Besides the fact that Alysia Reiner is incredibly hot and seductive in this movie, she is also manipulative with her sexuality and uses it to take down young Wall Street guys.

This movie definitely resonates with female audiences as it reflects many themes of how women still face the so-called “glass ceiling” in the corporate world, with both Naomi and Erin being denied their promotions.

Another theme raised in the movie is female career trade-offs. Women of my generation grew up with the idea that we can have it all: we can have children, do household chores, and have careers at the same time. But in reality, many women find that there is simply not enough time in the day to master all of this. How can one be a dutiful mother and, like Naomi screams in the movie, a “rain maker” at the same time?

Truly, this movie serves as a harsh wake-up call. The movie confronts the realities of being a woman in the corporate world without any unnecessary sugarcoating. It lacks the humor of The Big Short and the debauchery of The Wolf of Wall Street, but it definitely presents a new, somewhat harsh female perspective on the finance world. Maybe this is the reality check that we’ve all been waiting for?

U.S. release date is July 29, 2016.

The trailer for 'Equity' and the director's commentary are available below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg2TSp5tJy4

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/equity/

Also hadn't heard of it, but it definitely sounds like it's pretty good. I'm always up for new takes on the same ol' same ol'. If this can be to Margin Call, Boiler Room, Wolf of Wall St. , etc. what Creed was for the Rocky series I think it'll be a winner.

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers

Best Response

Is anyone else sick and tired of the 24/7 "Up with women! Down with the patriarchy!" bombardment? It's insufferable, and at this point completely false - white women in the West are the most privileged class in history.

At one time feminism was a real movement that represented the struggle for equal rights... Now it's a corporate gravy train that everyone is jumping on. I heard Justin Trudeau (prime minister of Canada) say that he was a feminist. Wtf is that about?

These stupid women don't want equal rights, they want special privileges; responsibility without accountability. I used to think that both sexes were equal, now I think women need to be treated like children i.e. they don't know what's good for them.

"I think of a man, and I take away reason, and accountability" - Jack Nicholson

We don't want special privileges. As a women working at a bank, at every company event, dinner or lunch, all the guys make pervy / sexual comments about women. How are men supposed to respect the women they work with if that's how they talk about women they see during lunches or dinners? You're a man, so you never have to deal with a guy "mansplaining" to you (google it if you don't know what that means) and you never have to deal with always having to work extra hard in everything to earn respect from your peers.

"Mansplaining" is complete bullshit, the term itself is sexist. Just because some males are arrogant pricks doesn't mean the entire sex is. The same goes for "Manterruption."

How about "manspreading?" Evil men everywhere are spreading their legs on subways and buses alike to keep women from sitting down.... or maybe anatomical differences - i.e. a penis and a pair of testicles - make it more comfortable for men to spread their legs.

How do you feel about "Shebagging?" I see women everywhere taking up multiple seats on public transit with their absurd amounts of bags.

Or how about "Womanipulation?" I see women use their emotions as weapons, manipulating men everywhere with their crocodile tears.

Women are built to talk, and in the modern, social media dominated world, ye who talks loudest dominates the conversation. Look no further than the Tim Hunt saga to see what happens when a woman complains about a man, even when her complaint is complete horseshit.

I honestly hate this bullshit about "mansplaining" mainly because anything that could be informative is taken as condescending.

My wifes "boss" was the broker for our house for legal purposes. She tried to drive the listing price down multiple times and called the pricing "aggressive". I don't budge and of course the place sells for over asking day after the open house with no inspection.

I of course make it very clear that this is how the market works in the area. Her job is to value the place properly. I am telling her she needs to get better at it because once you don't have the market doing it for you you will be screwed (in much nicer terms of course). She just got all bitchy after the phone call and called me condescending to my wife. No skin off my back it isn't my income source but I am trying to help you. Her inability to deal with intelligent/type A personalities is what will hurt her career (this isn't the first example).

I also had to explain why someones model was crap at work. She didn't care at all and just came up with new ideas. Probably because we are here to make money not to have our emotions coddled.

Maybe since I work with a bunch of PhDs and techies (all more educated than myself) I am used to people explaining things. I just see it as an opportunity to learn.

People also explain things to me that I already understand pretty often. I just let them run with it and try to see if they have any insights on it.

CRE:

Idk about Alysia Reiner's sex appeal though. She's fit at least I suppose.

Movie about how hard it is to be taken seriously as a woman in finance, due in part to the sexism of the men in the industry, comment about the sex appeal and "fitness" of the actress. Please tell me the irony isn't lost here.

OP - "Another theme raised in the movie is female career trade-offs. Women of my generation grew up with the idea that we can have it all: we can have children, do household chores, and have careers at the same time"

Society (incl the over-the-top progressives) tacitly agree that men CANNOT "have it all" but somehow they keep pushing the "having it all" narrative on women, probably because some are dumb enough to believe it..

Truth is, NOBODY can have it all.. If you have a high flying career, you will miss your kids' recitals, bed-time stories, parent-teacher meetings and your kids WILL spend more time with professionally hired help than you. On the flip side, if you want to devote 10 hours a day doting on kids and cleaning the house, you will never become a high flying wall street CEO..

From the trailers, I would say both men and women can relate to the frustrations of a highly competitive job, excl, of course, this part: "she is also manipulative with her sexuality and uses it to take down young Wall Street guys". I don't see anyone complaining that men cannot do the same.. Soooo many double standards!!

Yes, totally agree.

What frustrates me the most is how many women themselves keep pushing this "you can have it all story." It is just a little disappointing. This movie finally shows that in reality you can't have a high-flying career and be a top mom at the same time, as Anna Gunn's character is not married and doesn't have children. This is the only movie that rejects the idiotic Hollywood stereotypes of females.

It ain't what you know, it's who you know

I am glad this movie is talking reality. But in all fairness, gender equality will only be a reality when BOTH men & women are held to the same standards and the current wave of "victimhood" goes away..

(Let me preface the next part by saying that we all know there are douchy men... and that nobody likes them..)

eg 1: In my office, a guy made a slightly (very very slightly) off-color joke and woman 1 got annoyed.. 2 minutes later woman 2 makes EXACTLY the same joke and woman 1 found it so funny that she could not stop laughing. When I pointed this out, the explanation was just gibberish.. I have seen this double standard in action 2-3 times in the last couple of weeks alone (not kidding; W1 & w2 are new here) and as a result I have minimized my contact with these 2 women. Brain-washed people would go like "oh, he is avoiding them because they are women" but NO, this is just how people deal with crazy folks.. My point is - not everything happens because of gender. Stop glorifying it so much!!

eg 2: a while ago, my sister went into a meeting in an industry that she was trying to get into and had no previous training or work experience in. The clients were lukewarm at best. Her first comment to me about the whole thing was - "yeah, of course, it didn't go great because they didn't want to listen to a woman". I could not even come up with words to explain how ridiculous that sounded..

Bottom line.. the more gender-baiting is promoted, the more it will continue to be an issue...

Alibabes56:

Yes, totally agree.

What frustrates me the most is how many women themselves keep pushing this "you can have it all story." It is just a little disappointing. This movie finally shows that in reality you can't have a high-flying career and be a top mom at the same time, as Anna Gunn's character is not married and doesn't have children. This is the only movie that rejects the idiotic Hollywood stereotypes of females.

Lol my mom complains about this. "When I was young I was told I could have it all and it's just not true. Men don't face the same challenge."

When I pointed out the fact that every one of the ultra successful men we knew had at least one gaping hole in their lives (no children, problems with children, multiple divorces, seriously overweight, substance abuse problems, etc. etc. etc.) she just stared.

I don't think women have the ability to think linearly.

Alias aperiam quibusdam molestias aut. Et consectetur quis repellat et voluptatem. Voluptas numquam voluptates et.

Et quod distinctio aspernatur ratione. Ex quia praesentium odio sapiente in placeat. Neque animi quidem labore maxime. Ut aut occaecati sunt sit dolore ex placeat sit. Corporis asperiores dolore fuga quibusdam numquam harum molestiae. Nulla porro in nostrum qui. Ut commodi pariatur consequatur quia repellat id sint.

Officia quibusdam dolorem rerum recusandae. Harum voluptates voluptate debitis et numquam tempore sed. Fugiat numquam nam ea sed consequatur. Qui libero aliquid qui esse esse. Quas sed dolorem voluptatem cum. Sit quidem nulla magni natus vitae in.

Et laudantium pariatur harum et saepe pariatur dolorum. Quo dicta sed consectetur sunt sit recusandae deleniti nemo. Corrupti tempora id aut quia. Reprehenderit debitis excepturi inventore veritatis.

It ain't what you know, it's who you know

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (85) $262
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (65) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (198) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (143) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”