EY v KPMG Tax Internship summer 2016

Hey guys, here is my situation and I need help!!
I have two nyc summer 2016 internship offers and need help deciding. EYvKPMG

EY - base salary of 4900/month (58.8k) in FSO tax
KPMG - base salary of 69k in FEDERAL real estate tax

i want more for long term than just short term extra cash. I liked the people both very much. I want to know in the long run which will be easier to get promoted, better pay later on, and how they will treat me. I know long hours and what not. Any help is highly recommened.

Best Response

I don't have any advice for your particular situation, but man that's a big difference in pay... Do you not have a preference in real estate vs. fso?

Generally, Big 4 promotions are very set in stone for the first like eight years. Basically, if you have a pulse and continue to put in the hours and get 3 ratings, you will promote for a long while. Trying to predict beyond that...well it's just a bad idea. I think 1% of staff end up becoming a partner just an fyi.

I will also say, pay wise, at least in my old Big 4 view (was not tax), real estate and fso both pay well, because they are "specialized" industries.

Generally Big 4 promotions are by class/service line. So everyone the same level will receive their promotion within a set range, say 10 - 15%. The high performers are up top, low on the bottom. Raises and a high base pay are king (vs. tons of bonuses) as they will compound over the years. But who knows, EY could offer a huge raise next year and catch you up to KPMG, you know?

I will add, if it was my choice I would choose based on this order 1. FSO vs. RE? 2. Pay? 3. Firm?

All accountants will have a view on which firm rocks and which sucks, but realistically, it is not going to alter your daily experience, unless your one of those kids who thinks he's working at Goldman (your not) or one of the firms gets gobbled up (thus becoming the Big 3) and that is speculation at this point...besides, you can always move firms, much easier to do that than change your experience/resume (RE vs FSO again).

Big 4 international tax here. That's a huge difference between offices. Take KPMG, accept their FT offer upon completion of internship. Get your CPA license (even if you are a JD/LLM, still get your CPA license).

You seem very stern on KPMG, can I ask why? Just so I know why I am choosing it? I have a plan to have my CPA the summer after I graduate with my Masters. If I pass all 4 parts on my first try that is..

Hey guys, here is my situation and I need help!! I have two nyc summer 2016 internship offers and need help deciding. EYvKPMG

EY - base salary of 4900/month (58.8k) in FSO tax KPMG - base salary of 69k in FEDERAL real estate tax

i want more for long term than just short term extra cash. I liked the people both very much. I want to know in the long run which will be easier to get promoted, better pay later on, and how they will treat me. I know long hours and what not. Any help is highly recommened.

Excepturi voluptates mollitia consequuntur beatae. Saepe nostrum hic atque vero. Et voluptatibus aut non id necessitatibus enim incidunt. Dolorem omnis omnis voluptates beatae quasi. Non sint odio vero saepe fugit. Qui est fuga quis accusantium placeat aliquam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”