Failed at MBB; Internal Consulting Offer at F100 Insurance Company; Advice Needed!!

Hello All,

I am currently attending a top 10 MBA program, and I was just offered an internal consulting role as part of a rotational program for a top P&C insurance company (Fortune 100). I also interviewed at MBB earlier in the year and some tier two firms, and made it to final rounds for a few them, but did not succeed (In the end, I believe fit and "being natural" in the interview room was an issue). The question I have is for you guys is what are the growth opportunities within the insurance industry, and how does the general business/financial industry view the sector? In addition, what other sectors would I be able to transition into from serving as an internal consultant at an insurance company. This opportunity kind of just landed on my lap, and I'm not sure where the hell I can go with this.

Some good points about the role is that full-time offers are around 130-135K (not including 10-20% bonus), hours don't exceed 40 hours a week, and base goes up around 10% each year.

I've been speaking to a few people who went through the same program, and I hear that this is a very well respected program, but I might be hearing a biased view. I know I will have the opportunity to re-recruit in the fall, but if I have a great time with the program, and it seems to be well-respected I will stick with it. Several consulting firms (Tier 2) have already expressed that I will only need to go through the final round in the Fall.

Interested in hearing your thoughts.

Insurance is a fascinating field. I have no idea what consultants do, but I talk to people treasury, collateral management, etc. all the time and they seem to enjoy it. Stable job, and solid pay. Could be a lot worse

Congrats on your offer! That sounds like a pretty nice gig. Transition opportunities will depend on whether your consulting work focuses on issues specific to the insurance industry or is more oriented toward fields like IT, process improvement/operations management, change management, project management, et. al. that are needed across industries.

Eaque eius omnis voluptatem quibusdam qui architecto tempora. Culpa reiciendis et enim a soluta id. Magnam veritatis perspiciatis molestiae et sit.

Consequatur accusantium nulla voluptas et minus repellat repellendus. Et rerum hic debitis quasi pariatur consectetur repudiandae. Saepe doloremque recusandae ut omnis. Ut soluta suscipit aut explicabo perferendis est molestiae. Dolor fugit et ut corporis eligendi atque ut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (552) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”