First Year Analyst class June 2011

I am recent grad that got offered by a BB for their 2011 Analyst Class. I accepted so I will be moving to NYC in June. I know mostly all of wall street brings in new full time analyst in the summer months. I was wondering if anybody is looking for roommates, or has any thoughts on where to live, etc. I was hoping to find roommates who are also young professionals.

chubbybunny:
Great, what school you from?

I only room with whartonites.

No, i'm not a Whartonite. Maybe for MBA. But I graduated Kennesaw State, the 2nd largest school in GA after UGA.

You give me a gift? *BAM* Thank you note! You invite me somewhere? *POW* RSVP! You do me a favor? *WHAM* Favor returned! Do not test my politeness.

bulge4lyf:
Where are you looking to live?

Doesn't matter to me, Just as long as its nice and convenient. I've been looking at everything from brownstones in Brooklyn to Luxury high-rise's in FiDi.

You give me a gift? *BAM* Thank you note! You invite me somewhere? *POW* RSVP! You do me a favor? *WHAM* Favor returned! Do not test my politeness.

Omoba De Jonz O:
Someone created a similar thread a while back which had a lot of replies. Search for it.

Yeah thanks, I found it after I posed mine.

Whatever you do, don't live in the boroughs. If you're working in Midtown, look at Murray Hill or Clinton/Midtown West. FiDi might be a stretch, 20-30 minute commute kills.

I am permanently behind on PMs, it's not personal.

A Posse Ad Esse:
Whatever you do, don't live in the boroughs. If you're working in Midtown, look at Murray Hill or Clinton/Midtown West. FiDi might be a stretch, 20-30 minute commute kills.

Really? why is that? I heard a lot of analyst say they live in brooklyn.

What!? Most people have a complete loathing of anything beyond the island. If anything, live in Jersey City (or just PM IlliniProgrammer, he'll give you a dissertation on the topic). The thing is that if you're working 80-120 hours a week, the last thing you want to do after hours at the office is spend any length of time getting back and forth to/from your place for the next day.

If anyone was living in Brooklyn I imagine they'd be working down in FiDi.

Yeah that is is one thing that was on my mind. After long hours I definitely don't want to spend a long time getting home. My office is going to be right by Grand Central. What about uptown area? like harlem.

Also I don't know anything about the NYC subway system. What trains could I hop on that would go Straight to Grand central. I don't want to have to transfer at all.

1man2nv:
Also I don't know anything about the NYC subway system. What trains could I hop on that would go Straight to Grand central. I don't want to have to transfer at all.

Its not that hard to navigate if you just take a look at the map for a few minutes. http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

It looks to me that you're going ot have to live near the green line (4, 5, 6) if you don't want to transfer, though the shuttle between TS and GC runs often. However, during the summer, spending any additional time in a subway station is far from ideal.

When people say that Harlem is gentrifying, are they referring to east or west or both?

Thanks for the tip that would definitely suck. The reason I considered Harlem was because I heard its been gentrifying for a little while and there are supposedly some really nice places that are underpriced at the moment.

Thanks! in reference to the gentrifying, I don't know. I just know that new condo's with all the perks (doorman, lounge, etc...) have been going up in the area recently.

Trains are not that hard to master, they lines are normally 3 blocks apart east/west tops and all run north/south, only the L crosses and it does that at 14th.

If you're in Midtown, live in MH or Clinton. MH is a fairly fratty district, tons of young professionals right out of undergrads so that's the crowd at the bars there. You could swing Gramercy if you found something on its western edge so you were still close to the 456, but you might not be. Look in the 30s-50s, both east and west. Anything below NoHo or above upper Midtown is just too far for you.

Thanks. Thats exactly where i'm looking for, somewhere where alot of young professionals live.

No problem. I don't know if you've already found brokers, but if you just want to find some decent properties online, check levelgroup.com or anchornyc.com, if you can pinpoint some buildings but want to use a broker you already know just let them know about the place and go through your preferred.

cool i'll do that....What do you know about Flex apartments, are they worth it? Like ive seen some OK prices 3BR flex. meaning its a 2BR they turned into a 3br with the walls and what not. The reason I ask is because my roommates and I would have a chance to live in an amazing building (doorman, lounge, indoor pool, etc...) for not too bad a price.

Depends on what you're willing to sacrifice and if you can deal with the cost of putting up the flex. A very few companies will cover the cost of the wall if you're willing to sign like an 18- or 24-month, but not many will.

Et doloremque quis nihil. Accusamus qui dolorem eligendi quam doloremque ipsam ab illo. Ullam in sunt dolore. Doloribus autem repellat maxime a.

Dolore culpa eos suscipit dicta aut. Laudantium dolorem repellat laborum sint molestias numquam laudantium. Mollitia eos repellat aliquam aut praesentium non. Sint numquam maxime ut. Officia qui veritatis quasi ad et ipsa. Autem vitae ut dolorem aut.

Mollitia qui quis ut aut aut consectetur amet. Ut ipsum est eum rerum eum consequatur eos. Ut molestiae reiciendis pariatur deleniti. Unde voluptatum eaque qui libero doloribus ipsa. Velit molestias iste est impedit fugiat.

Quisquam omnis iure illo sed atque dolores. Quis exercitationem qui maxime autem vel. Pariatur impedit totam eaque aut facilis impedit.

Qui quod beatae omnis sit eius est at. Alias modi possimus odit qui expedita aspernatur consequuntur. Nihil ut est aut quam dolores illum. Similique et tempore ut animi laboriosam. Exercitationem delectus optio et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”