Forbes 30 Under 30 2017

Forbes came out with their annual 30 under 30 for 2017 yesterday. It's that time of year where we feel bad about ourselves, but at the same time motivated, because no matter how well you're doing, there's always someone out there who's doing even better. Unless you're a 29 year old Partner at Pershing Square.

Link: http://www.forbes.com/30-under-30-2017/finance/#2…

Being a VP at a BB or an Associate - even a post-MBA one - at a megafund is great, but that it's not exactly on the same tier as being a Partner at Pershing Square or co-founding a cool-ass startup... now how do we know that it isn't the same case for the tech or healthcare or marketing counterparts in the other Forbes 30 Under 30 lists?

Yeah the list is by no means definitive or accurate. Just look at the 30 Under 30 for Sports list. There are a few top athletes in there, but you also have some mediocre athletes along with random sports management professionals. Still amazing people and achievements, but just nowhere close to where the true superstar athletes are.

Draymond Green is on the list and there are three under 30 players on his own team who are better than him.

And somehow Javier "Chicharito" Hernández is the only soccer player they deemed worthy enough to make the list. Maybe Leo Messi deserves to be there?

Link: http://www.forbes.com/30-under-30-2017/sports/#71c87dc272ca

I feel bad that his video is passed around on this site...but then again, he posted it on YouTube.

Robert, if you ever read this, please take notes and don't read from the screen (I assume that's the reason for the unwavering eye contact and the fact that it sounds like it is scripted/dry). In all seriousness, I hope you do well...but that video was awkward as hell.

1/2 the the list is truly worthy of being on a 30 under 30.

1/2 the list are people that simply have good jobs, nothing more nothing less - not hating but just being real. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if there is some tie in because of the ad dollars that the BBs spend on Forbes - hey HR send us your top associates and we'll include some in the feature.

This. One of the women on here is a VP, Corporate Banker (point contact at the bank for clients covered to provide bank debt and treasury management services). This is the same thing that I do (except I am on the underwriting side)....and I have no business being on there, definitely not T30 under 30 worthy. Seems like every year a VP corporate banker from BAML makes the list.

How is an apollo RE debt fund associate on this list? Next to the guy at Abrams that's an MIT grad, HBS grad and Harvard JD or the PE partners, it just looks ridiculous. And this is coming from a RE guy. I know partners that are under 30 and running their own successful RE funds, yet I don't see them on the list. The PC police clearly had a hand in this.

I find the acceptance rate of 4% quite high for being a top 30 list of finance professionals.

ALSO: the finance 30 under 30 is a lot less interesting than the same lists for sports / music / whatever else there is, because although these people have had an impressive start in their career, the big things in finance usually happen more than six years out of undergrad. You will most likely not be the founder of a multi-billion dollar hedge fund when you are 28, nor will you be the CEO of GS. In sports and music, where age doesn't play much of a factor after you are say 18, young people will achieve much more (e.g. Phelps winning 28 Olympic medals at the age of 31).

These people are clearly very successful in their careers at a young age, but have they really done anything truly extraordinary or notable?

Where is the next generation of Zuckerberg types?

"A real entrepreneur is someone who has no safety net underneath them." - Henry Kravis

The Healthcare list is the same idea as the finance list.... a random MD student at Yale isn't that impressive.

The answer to your question is 1) network 2) get involved 3) beef up your resume 4) repeat -happypantsmcgee WSO is not your personal search function.

At least they didn't resort to gaming LinkedIn by posting Bikini and other very scantily clad women to get to Forbes 30 under 30 list like Candice Galek. She had a very one-tracked marketing campaign that essentially converts LinkedIn to Facebook and brought out the most childish behaviors of our modern Social Media community. Win-win for attention and her business Bikini Luxe! A few INC magazine articles and etc later... She is now a business superstar!

Here's her Photo from Forbes' 30 under 30 Art and Style: http://specials-images.forbesimg.com/imageserve/585adddca7ea431d601b799…" alt="Candice Galek Forbes" />

Her latest LinkedIn Article "Stop Fing me" image: https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/jc/AAEAAQAAAAAAAAgEAAAAJGE4NTBhMTc4LTFm…" alt="Wow really?" />

Apparently, this is classified as SFW now. At least by LinkedIn standards it is SFW.

Remember: http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2016-05-17-1463448990-8549956-CANICEGA…" alt="BikiniLuxe" />

Eos nulla distinctio qui nam quo. Aliquam sed harum explicabo et ipsum ratione officiis. Dolores et officiis ut placeat voluptatem.

Voluptatem odio vero cumque doloremque architecto culpa velit. Laudantium sit et quisquam iure quia. Quia voluptatem aspernatur est. Officia sed autem voluptates laborum laborum. Et et reiciendis unde quidem et et. Tenetur et minima unde nostrum sed et. Magni deleniti nihil in error.

Nam deserunt vel aut fugit molestiae. Consectetur et iste magnam sunt distinctio. Neque unde alias nihil cumque optio voluptatum unde sed. Est sit deserunt cupiditate. Natus voluptate tenetur inventore omnis aliquam molestiae. Doloribus aliquid molestiae impedit reprehenderit.

Pariatur saepe nisi quasi aut aperiam quaerat. Minima sit nostrum nobis hic voluptatem animi. In impedit fuga ea ab tenetur. Aspernatur id inventore dolores ut.

Dolorem consequatur commodi fugiat consequatur quia pariatur perferendis. Ipsa illo iusto odio corporis voluptas rerum optio. At enim est minus et.

Sit rem sed fugiat earum aut incidunt aliquid. Laborum numquam quibusdam eveniet ipsa odit in. Maxime soluta magni consequatur vero voluptatum nihil sunt. Doloremque sed ut magnam voluptas qui temporibus rerum at. Eveniet vitae doloribus perferendis. Voluptas unde vero cum consequuntur nam.

Voluptatem ad qui placeat nulla. Incidunt esse dignissimos quibusdam. Quas eveniet ducimus et quo voluptates molestiae laboriosam enim. Aut qui sed qui. Dolores quibusdam ea at omnis nemo sit temporibus. Sapiente rerum beatae laudantium repudiandae.

Hic placeat consequatur id ea. Porro non veritatis rerum modi ut. Ut excepturi aut quam voluptatibus blanditiis eos.

Perspiciatis occaecati dolor qui aut. Animi quod perspiciatis dolorem quos velit enim et ea. Blanditiis iure voluptate doloribus vero perspiciatis fugit minima vitae. Est quas corrupti consequatur asperiores. A esse reiciendis aut aperiam et molestias ut. Perspiciatis qui quibusdam eligendi aut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”