Friend offered 110k salary w/ stock options with no college degree. senior in college. Not in finance

so as we're all grinding away with investment banking. I see my friend do his own thing. getting an offer from a publicy traded small cap tech company paying him 110k without requiring him to finish a college degree.

anyone else think that's crazy?

Not really - see other recent posts here. Companies (Inc. Google, I believe) are starting to offer people 'apprenticeships' (basically, jobs that don't require a college degree). I don't know too much about it but I believe they are "legit" jobs too. While I personally would always want to get a degree (for lots of reasons, Inc. getting to be in college) the rising costs etc. mean things like this will be more likely to pop up.

Best Response

schooling can get in the way of education. there are a lot of in demand skills in tech where they just cant afford to wait for a better hire. kids are getting internships in highschool now and already fullstack before finishing school

my mentor in PWM never graduated college. education is not the same as wisdom. that being said, I think it should be the standard for most kids unless they want to pick up a trade. don't get frustrated, there are plenty of other stories that should piss you off more (college dropouts making the forbes 100).

just focus on you, don't worry about him. college degrees give you the ability to move around, so while the experience is great, experience + degree is better ceteris paribus

Know a number of guys who were in intensive four year physics and math programs that got internships during their sophomore summer and made it known that they could, and would if given an offer for FT, graduate with a lesser degree (general science, liberal program instead of major in their faculty, etc.) in three years.

Internships at top firms are just 10-week interviews. You either have the general demeanor to succeed within the group or you don't; prerequisite knowledge, including the laughably small applicable knowledge you'd get from the most "relevant" degree programs, is completely secondary to personal attributes. Once you're in, and are thought highly enough of to get a returning offer, what your degree actually ends up being is of almost zero importance.

In addition, we had to consider the ceiling and stability.

It is very impressive that your friend was able to leverage such a job, but there is a ceiling in terms of pay for computer engineers (I'm not sure what it is, but I think it's below 200k). The true value comes from being able to start a company or identifying a good idea and getting on early. But for such a company to survive, investors need to invest, and they take everything into account, especially early-stage companies. Having a college degree, even a token one, is crucial here.

Also, remember when the tech startup world wasn't so hot about 4 years ago?

--Death, lighter than a feather; duty, heavier than a mountain

grandmaster:
brokencircle13:

but there is a ceiling in terms of pay for computer engineers (I'm not sure what it is, but I think it's below 200k).

Not when you become a manager, then director, after spending some time as a developer.

Thank you. For some reason, there's this idea (exclusively on this site) that it's different in finance; somehow politics and the corporate ladder go out the door. There is a "ceiling" in everything corporate - some people make it higher, some don't.

Zafrynex:

Well in banks, public side at least, it is relativeley "easy" to make it to VP level and without a terrible lifestyle, you just need to be good overall, not really stellar and you end up making 350-400k.

A VP making 350-400k? That's not super common, at least of the VP's that I know (not talking about investment banking here). I'm sure it happens, but not every VP makes that much or even close.

I agree with a lot of comments. There are a lot of ways to trailblaze your way to a very comfortable lifestyle. There are a lot of programmers who work on multiple projects / companies, charge a certain amount on an hourly basis, and make a very comfortable living. They can do well by having spending 4 years programming rather than college and become a manager. But they have to be very nimble and stay ahead of the curve, and not everyone has that energy all the time.

That being said, I still do think it's crazy, but I would be lying if I didn't say I was jealous.

--Death, lighter than a feather; duty, heavier than a mountain

Didn't read a damn thing but there are at least a bajillion ways to make ~$110k in America. Quit being a fuccboi and get your hustle up

[quote=mbavsmfin]I don't wear watches bro. Because it's always MBA BALLER time! [/quote]

Sint placeat impedit placeat est sint cum tempore. Recusandae error ipsa aspernatur quae nulla.

Corporis alias ut error vero sit aliquid. Nesciunt est et consequatur delectus explicabo ut aut eos. Illum et voluptatum dolor aut unde alias ut.

Labore sint sunt est aut enim. Accusamus aut non omnis et illo.

Nulla voluptatem expedita nobis ipsam adipisci. Eligendi nihil eum incidunt et neque qui. Quibusdam enim dicta et omnis iste dolorum.

[quote=mbavsmfin]I don't wear watches bro. Because it's always MBA BALLER time! [/quote]

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”