From Community College To BB IBD Q&A 2015

Hello Everyone,

As the title reads, I attended Community College and transferred to a 4-year University (Non-Target) this Fall semester. I have an offer from a BB (IBD) and only have my community college GPA on my resume. Feel free to ask any questions.

@InvestmentJunkie, It was a mix of everything. I did a ton of networking but for the most part what got me in was my enthusiasm and willingness to learn. I applied online for an accelerated opportunity and got multiple accelerated Superdays at top banks (Not through Referrals).

Not trying to be a dick, but what got you in was in large part your minority status given your grades and school history. However, beating out the other candidates for an offer was all you.

As some other posts have said (have they been removed?) I'm not sure if you'll be able to add any real value/provide advice to anyone because the vast majority of people will not be in your situation. While I could absolutely be wrong in saying that, I personally feel that there are already so many AMA: how I broke in type posts on wso that new ones (not just yours) have relatively little value. By now, anyone who wants to know how to break in already has all the info they need.

Congratulations on getting your offer - good luck converting to FT.

@"notthehospitalER" I appreciate the "Not trying to be a dick" part. Although it was a minority program I was competing against a ton of Ivy kids. To top it off there were both asians and whites at the superday. If it makes you feel better I had accelerated Superdays (Non-Minority focused) with other top banks. Interviews are no different either so technically I can add value. Thanks for the input!

1) As I said, interviews were all you and minority program would just get you in the door in most cases. So yes, you did well to get the offer.

2) I noted that I personally believe it's difficult for anyone who gets an SA to add value because the subject has been beaten to death already. I said you may not be able to add additional value because your situation is pretty rare. Just my opinion, and others may disagree. Nothing against you personally - purely a function of how little additional value can be added to the same topic again and again.

Out of curiosity, what would your advice be? Go to the best school possible (since you transferred)? Network? Know your technicals? Connect with interviewers? Have a great story for why IB? Try to get relevant experience? Etc etc? See what I mean?

Network, Know your technicals to an extent (don't be afraid to say "I don't know"). My post was geared towards kids in Community College looking to break into Banking, not so much everyone else. I agree the topic has been beaten to death, but as you mentioned I'm a rare case (Obviously I know kids who broke in after Community College but not directly after they transferred with no GPA at their 4-year school).

First of all, well done and congrats on your offer!

-- How did you talk about your experience at CC when (or if) it was brought up? -- How did you show an interest in finance at the CC?

Best Response

Ok, honest answer time: Do you honestly believe that other non minority students from CC with no GPA from a 4 year school will ever get a BB SA in IB the way you did, without the benefit of the minority program?

If you sincerely, honestly believe they can/will (in which case I am sure your advice would be helpful) then fair enough, this AMA could add value. If you don't (I think most would fall into this category, including me, and I am one of the most optimistic people out there) then my point that this falls into the regular AMA category that's been beaten to death and adds little value.

I should clarify - you should be thrilled with your offer (as I'm sure you are) and even if you received any benefit from being a minority (that may only offset real disadvantages in your life, no-one here knows) you'll only get the FT offer if you perform - so I'm not saying you haven't accomplished something by getting the SA, and all my skepticism isn't directed at you personally. I just think these general "how to get an SA" AMAs are no longer useful because all the information is already readily available. That's all I'm saying.

I think this has troll written all over it, but I don't think this situation is impossible.

Here goes... What was your networking strategy? As in who did you speak to and how did you go about asking for a referral.

So you got in through some diversity program (judging by your username and the fact that it is November). Good for you, but certainly nothing to brag about. I would be more interested in hearing of the experiences from someone who put in hard work and wasn't handed an offer simply for being a minority.

@Fitnessmodel, I'm not bragging nor do I care whether you think I deserve the offer or not. What you should know is although it was a diversity event there were plenty of pathetic white and asian ivy kids. So I'd say that I more than deserve the offer.

I scored a VC internship and I'm at a community college, I tried networking with BB guys but all I heard back was "unless you're in a top 10 school don't bother, I'm sorry that's the way it is" I spoke to an MD on the phone for 40min and when I told him my school he was like oh, welll sorry bud, try and transfer and we'll see in a year so so.

I'm trying to transfer to a nice school but I'm probably going to be stuck at a big state school in the south. Its not a big deal though just gotta keep climbing.

Also no referral, from CC college idk about that, its hard enough to apply to places if you're not going through OCR.

Next year I'm going to shoot for a BB internship since I'll have one internship & job exp in the field.

Seems like OP is just here to gloat / troll.

Congratulations on the VC Internship. Definitely transfer and shoot for BB IBD. I'm not gloating, im trying to provide hope to those who were like me. I would go through these forums and kids would say if you went to Community College IBD is out of reach, but it is not. I can see that these forums are like a glorified CollegeConfidential, so i'm not gonna answer any questions unless they are PM.

it's because it's rather unconventional, and not a long shot by any stretch without exogenous variables. It would give someone a false sense of hope if you say that it is possible. It should be that it is possible to be at CC during freshman year, transfer to 4 year in sophomore, and then kill it and get into target during junior. If that is the progression, then yeah, its definitely possible.

There's a closer meaning to my user name. Try reading it quickly. Perhaps you will then understand ;P

Dolor ad nam voluptas perferendis consequatur. Aliquid vero facilis labore deserunt. Totam sequi quae incidunt neque.

Amet necessitatibus praesentium magni cum doloremque impedit. Aut quas et omnis dolores modi corrupti consequuntur. Blanditiis dolorum voluptas officia molestiae. Laudantium nihil quidem voluptatem enim totam neque dolore veritatis. Qui ullam mollitia sit hic aut quas.

In optio ducimus unde aut atque doloremque omnis nostrum. Reprehenderit sint magni corrupti velit. Natus velit modi omnis vel nulla aut. Odit et et sunt alias non. Ullam qui blanditiis necessitatibus dolor qui consequatur labore.

Ut ad tenetur vero et tenetur itaque ullam aut. Cumque nulla maiores consequatur consequatur rerum praesentium enim placeat. At et quam in ullam aut deserunt.

Voluptatem est autem omnis saepe. Quibusdam consequatur voluptatem sequi et quia.

Commodi ex provident non et voluptate inventore aliquid. Nihil possimus accusantium ea. Nihil et maiores incidunt et. Nemo qui et quia est sit non. Voluptatem voluptatum illum vel iusto nostrum laborum. Praesentium dolorem nesciunt et sed nobis maiores voluptatem. Ut error saepe est molestiae enim autem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”