Frugal Financiers -- Ballin' on a Budget

So I'm thinking of starting a 'blog' posting on here that will go ahead and highlight pretty good deals and when they are available to everyone -- things that monkeys would enjoy -- so I wanted to start it off with a heavy salvo. While everyone most likely thinks of Illini being the most money conservative one here, I am pretty 'efficient' with my money as well. Part of this is due to the fact that when I was working in retail in early college, I couldnt go ahead and use my discount on anything that was deeply discounted already. Basically, I was getting fucked and the best thing to do was just buy the clothes normally when they were on sale. Other than that, I was on my own cash wise since I was 17 so I had some creative financing that I had to do at times.

New York City is known to be pricey but it definitely doesnt have to be -- there are plenty of money saving options and ideas available.

1- DINING

While groupon and livingsocial can, from time to time, offer some pretty good discount deals on food, the majority of the deals they list are pretty crap. Sure, you get 30 bucks of food for 15, but what if you're gonna go out to that restaurant and spend a lot more money? A personal favorite of mine is GILT CITY -- Gilt Groupe's dining/pampering/events focused website. Many time's ill go out and have a dinner for two with a cocktail or two per person (or glass of wine) for a mere 50-70 bucks, MUCH lower than it normally would be ! Any self respecting foodie in NYC definitely has to use and abuse this site.

Right now they have a deal -- when used in conjunction with the 40 percent off coupon signing up with my link will grant you -- that will cost $44 bucks for two appetizers, two entrees, two glasses or prosecco, and two desserts. Normally that would cost you $130 at the restaurant -- and these arent cheeseburgers, they're very solid dishes like sea bass and rabbit confit, feta and beet salad, etc -- so it is a HUGE cost savings. Or, double up the quantity and get TWO of these deals for $52 each. Sick deals

http://www.giltcity.com/invite/ncfield

Use this invite link so we both get the 40 percent off coupon -- Of course I am going to scheme!

2- HOUSING

Doorman buildings and high rises and the like are pretty nice and fancy with all the amenities, but I personally think you're paying a lot extra in a premium for the space you get in your apartment. Same goes with brokers-- they usually fuck you hard. For the best deals, try to prowl craigslist for non doorman walk up or elevator buildings (midrises) and you'll pay significantly less. I share a 2 bed, 2.5 bath, 2 living room duplex with a Porsche Design kitchen, Viking/Sub Zero/wine fridge and a laundry machine room with a second fridge in it as well (the room is bigger than some peoples bedrooms in Manhattan) with my room mate and we pay $3500 total for this space(1300 sq ft?) that is an ave away from Columbus Circle and Central Park. There are definitely steals to be had in the city if you know where to look.

Also something very important, esp for monkeys moving to the city: May-September(october?) is the peak season for people moving in and out and prices tend to get jacked around then. If you move in during this time, you're most likely going to get locked into this area for a while, so see if you can rent a room for a few months to get into the 'off peak' season where rents are more negotiable and lower overall. Or you can always negotiate an 18 month lease to turn your July lease renewal into a winter renewal!

3- SHOPPING

I personally prowl dealnews.com (among all the other sites like slickdeals passwird etc) each day to look around for random things that are deeply on sale. This is great if you need a new tv, laptop, other computer, or just want to get a LOT of ramen for cheap! A lot of the times they will have free codes for MP3s, Amazon VOD, etc ripe for the taking which are perfect to add to your itunes library legally or stay in and watch a movie. Definitely isn't a bad idea to time all of your large purchases for holidays like Black Friday or wait a few months for the large annual sales that Brooks Brothers and the like will have so you can save a BUNDLE of money each and every time you go out and do a large purchase!

If you like the experience of going out to eat, as many New Yorkers do, $22 per person for dinner is a steal.

At most places, $22 wouldn't even cover 2 glasses of wine/prosecco and an appetizer.

At some, it wouldn't even cover the prosecco.

Midas Mulligan Magoo:
Illini will take your prodigiously spendthrift anus to TJ Maxin Millions fool.

Yeah you think this is cheap? Why do you need a Porsche Design kitchen? Illini gots a muthafuckin fire and spit.

Reality hits you hard, bro...

or you can get off the prestige-baited hamster wheel and build real wealth by living and earning in a city far away from an overpriced, rat-infested hellhole like NYC

SF, LA and even DC are far better than that fucking sewer

Short and I have been talking about doing a series on this stuff, but apparently he's in a bit of a different price point than me.

My suggestion is to live in the Jersey City waterfront or Hoboken for a year or two when you first move here. And get a roommate where you can split a two bedroom. Net savings over renting a Manhattan studio in an elevator building? $2300-900 pp= $1400/month + $300/month in city taxes. That's $20K/year.

Some people by nature of their jobs (IBD) MUST live close to work. I recommend getting a roommate and living in a walk-up. As a 20-something, you have a comparative advantage over 30-somethings in renting 4th floor apartments, which tend to carry a $100/month discount. Consider making the extra flight.

As a college student, I considered Subway "eating out", and $5 a lot of money to pay for a six pack, let alone a glass of beer at a bar. This mindset is a huge asset and you need to maintain it for as long as possible.

Obviously it's very important to make friends in your analyst class, but since you don't want to be the cheap guy in your group of friends, it's important to find thrifty friends. HINT: Look for people who went to state schools or religious schools (they will hand out a facebook on the first day). Lunch is generally a great time to socialize and it's cheap. There's a lot of nice sit-down places where you can do lunch for $10/person.

Bottom line: NYC is a very expensive city and every dollar that you save here will go twice as far in Chicago or even San Fran/Boston/Philly; three times as far in Texas or Michigan. If you remember that every day you spend here, you find it's very easy to save large portions of your income. Overlay that with dividend stocks paying 6% and all of a sudden, you're really looking at 12% yields on your savings. Save $20K living in Hoboken or JC for a year, that's $1200/year in extra dividends, $2400 worth of spending power Chicago/Philly-cost-of-living adjusted.

IlliniProgrammer:
HINT: Look for people who went to state schools or religious schools (they will hand out a facebook on the first day).

i went to a private school and wear my oxford shirts until the collars and cuffs are coming off. still on the same pair of eccos from 2005 as well.

IlliniProgrammer:
Uhhh, you lost me at Oxfords. At state schools, we wear $7 Wal-Mart t-shirts until they have holes in them. Obviously there are more exceptions to every rule than folks who follow it, but folks who get thrifty on tuition tend to get thrifty on eating out too.

LOL

ok you win, i can't beat the $7 tees.

i'd totally shop at walmart, except i fucking hate walmart.

ivoteforthatguy:
IlliniProgrammer:
Uhhh, you lost me at Oxfords. At state schools, we wear $7 Wal-Mart t-shirts until they have holes in them. Obviously there are more exceptions to every rule than folks who follow it, but folks who get thrifty on tuition tend to get thrifty on eating out too.

LOL

ok you win, i can't beat the $7 tees.

i'd totally shop at walmart, except i fucking hate walmart.

You can shop for t-shirts at military surplus stores. Their t-shirts are very durable, and cost less than $7.

LOL,

I'm nowhere near IP, but I am a dutch calvinist who went to a state school in illinois. No joke, just today my wife noticed that the elbow on my shirt had a hole. This is the second hole I've found on the elbow of my shirt in the past month. I buy nicer stuff, but then I do wear the hell out it.

twitter: @CorpFin_Guy

voteforthatguy -- trust me, my ideal situation is to work for dimensional fund advisors down in austin texas where the lifestyle is laid back, can do the finance situation and have low taxes and a low cost of living. nature of the beast is that the majority of the finance jobs are in NYC-- part of me post b school will be drawn to go to boston for the large asset managers though. if i switched into consulting id def consider living in austin with dallas as my hub. (mind you im not sure if that makes sense since in halfway knowledgable about consulting as well lol)

shorttheworld:
and the majority (maybe not majority but a good solid chunk of them) of the females in the city arent worth their salt and just want a guy to upgrade their lifestyle and make something for them that they wouldnt be able to get otherwise :>

amen. i'll record that as reason #4802 to hate NYC.

I've mellowed out over the past four years, culminating with a move to NYC. But as college students, you guys shouldn't get off the thrift train just because you have more money coming in.

The truth is that after you're earning about $45K/year (ok $90K/year in NYC), the most important component of how happy you are is free time. It's the old story of the hedonic treadmill- we eventually get used to eating out at restaurants, living in a high-end high rise with a balcony and fitness center, etc. (Though laundry is a huge chore if it's not in your building) What we do not get used to is working 60 hours/week.

60 hours/week gets a lot less stressful when you know you could quit tomorrow and be fine for five years. When you can go home at night, point at that poster of the Sleeping Bear Dunes, and say that every dollar you save today brings you closer to plentiful outdoor space and cheaper living.

Illini, what % of your after-tax income do you try to save? Currently I am saving about 21% of my AT income (after 5% Roth contributions) which are directly deposited to my brokerage account.

After that, I live slightly net-positive paycheck-to-paycheck saving up money every month or so and then buying something I like. (Just receently dropped $1500 for skydiving license classes).

I live somewhat frugally but it doesn't bother me that much. I think there is a big difference between being frugal and being cheap. Do I pregame before I go to a bar? Yup. Did I just save $80? Yup.

Most of my friends are pretty bad with money and almost none of them are investing outside of their 401k's. Every dollar saved now and invested in compounding investments is exponentially fewer dollars you will need later in life to retire early.

My goal is to be out by 40 with $10-15mill. Saving and investing (in addition to a high income) is the only way I can see myself getting there. Will I get there? I hope so. I invest pretty aggressively, I don't really believe in efficient market hypothesis.

My name is Nicky, but you can call me Dre.

My composite pre-tax/post-tax number right now is about 45%. That's going to come down to more like 30-35% when I move to New York.

Saving 21% of your income most likely will not get you out with $10-15 million at 40, if you adjust for inflation. Assuming 20 years of compounding at CPI + 6% returns, and income that approaches $500K/year CPI adjusted in a straight line over 10 years followed by $500K/year earnings, you are looking at about $2 million in savings if you're saving only 20%. At a conservative withdrawal rate of 3%, this will provide $60K/year in income.

Working in finance, you do not want to invest too aggressively. Factoring out my emergency fund, my portfolio has a net beta of about 0.7. Nearly everything is invested outside of the banking sector. You do not want to be in a situation where if you lose your job, there goes half of your retirement.

If you really want to retire at 45, you have to be saving upwards of 30-40% of your income, starting very early, and coming up to 50-60% later on if your income increases significantly as you approach retirement. And you have to be making 6% returns after inflation. Now, you may get lucky, strike it rich, and have a few seven figure years. It's possible, but fewer folks in banking than you think pull this off. It's also possible that you plateau much lower. With your career, you hope for the best, but with financial planning, you have to prepare for the worst. If you set a rule of saving 30% of your income early, and it stays relatively flat past 30, you've got a very good chance of retiring before 50.

I'm an extremely conservative guy with a somewhat gloomy Malthusian outlook on the next 20 years. Other people will tell you to expect 7% rates of return and a 4% draw from retirement savings. But it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

i think id rather retire at 50-55 -- you need to have a LOT saved for all those extra years and i think 50-55 is a good time to retire early but also once you have a larger amount of cash stockpiled from all those years each extra year giving 6 7 8 percent or whatever youre looking at will allow your stockpile to double while also cutting out agood chunk of years of drawing on that cash.

i have a 'bad' habit of taking my large bonuses and investing them in the market and then when i hit a dry spell at work i get uber cheap and 'panic' even though i have a very solid amount of cash stockpiled.

LOL. Me too short. It's a lot of work to be greedy when others are fearful. Sticking to a slightly lower beta portfolio and buying into industries that are less correlated with finance does tend to help. But when the cash is rolling in and you're not worried about your job, it's a lot harder to stick money into savings and the boring stuff that doesn't lose as much value during a bear market.

My one rule is to buy dividend stocks and hold them unless there becomes something truly wrong with the firm on a fundamental basis.

IlliniProgrammer:
LOL. Me too short. It's a lot of work to be greedy when others are fearful. Sticking to a slightly lower beta portfolio and buying into industries that are less correlated with finance does tend to help. But when the cash is rolling in and you're not worried about your job, it's a lot harder to stick money into savings and the boring stuff that doesn't lose as much value during a bear market.

My one rule is to buy dividend stocks and hold them unless there becomes something truly wrong with the firm on a fundamental basis.

I understand the low-finance-correlation perspective.

Assuming, you don't need access to the capital, I don't understand investing in a dividend-heavy portfolio instead of a growth portfolio over 20+ years. You'd have to be remarkably bearish over that time frame for that to make sense.

but the only reason to is

dabanobo:
I understand the low-finance-correlation perspective.

Assuming, you don't need access to the capital, I don't understand investing in a dividend-heavy portfolio instead of a growth portfolio over 20+ years. You'd have to be remarkably bearish over that time frame for that to make sense.

but the only reason to is

Take a look at the stock market from the late 60s through the early 80s. It went sideways for 15 years as P/Es compressed from 28 down to finally 6-7.

When I can pick up growth stocks with P/Es of 8 and dividends of 5% because everyone thinks the world will be ending, THAT'S a good time to buy growth. At the secular bottom, folks will see growth stocks like they saw penny stocks at the secular top.

In the meantime, it's infrastructure, resources, quality real estate, and maybe consumer staples and pharma, just like the '70s. I get 3-7% dividends that I KNOW are being paid from operating profits. If the stocks get cheaper as the operating earnings hold up, I win even more as my returns go from 5-6% + CPI to 7, 8, or 9. With a bank, with a tech company, with a retailer, you have no idea where that dividend is coming from or whether it will be there in 15 years. With an oil company or a timber company, you know there's a certain amount of reserves in the ground or a certain number of trees available for harvest, that we probably won't stop using oil or wood anytime soon, and that even if prices and operating earnings dip temporarily, they'll eventually recover and track inflation over the long run. So why not pick up some resource stocks with highly sustainable dividends?

Btw, the low-finance-correlation is increasingly difficult to achieve, since so much of one's comp is deferred into the firm these days...
Well, there's ways of protecting yourself- like long-term puts far out of the money on the XLF. And honestly for me, nothing hits the books for accounting purposes until it's vested and I have the right to sell it.

shorttheworld:
1- DINING

While groupon and livingsocial can, from time to time, offer some pretty good discount deals on food, the majority of the deals they list are pretty crap. Sure, you get 30 bucks of food for 15, but what if you're gonna go out to that restaurant and spend a lot more money? A personal favorite of mine is GILT CITY -- Gilt Groupe's dining/pampering/events focused website. Many time's ill go out and have a dinner for two with a cocktail or two per person (or glass of wine) for a mere 50-70 bucks, MUCH lower than it normally would be ! Any self respecting foodie in NYC definitely has to use and abuse this site.

Right now they have a deal -- when used in conjunction with the 40 percent off coupon signing up with my link will grant you -- that will cost $44 bucks for two appetizers, two entrees, two glasses or prosecco, and two desserts. Normally that would cost you $130 at the restaurant -- and these arent cheeseburgers, they're very solid dishes like sea bass and rabbit confit, feta and beet salad, etc -- so it is a HUGE cost savings. Or, double up the quantity and get TWO of these deals for $52 each. Sick deals

http://www.giltcity.com/invite/ncfield

Use this invite link so we both get the 40 percent off coupon -- Of course I am going to scheme!

2- HOUSING

we pay $3500 total for this space(1300 sq ft?) that is an ave away from Columbus Circle and Central Park. There are definitely steals to be had in the city if you know where to look.

3- SHOPPING

1. I will definitely hit up your Gilt City referral. I am cheap, but not as cheap as Illini and I still like my food, alcohol, and women all luxurious/extremely well endowed. My first weekend in the city I blew $125 on dinner with drinks and I have been trying to avoid that again.....and failing every time,

2. I know you say brokers eat you alive, but I have found no other way as my first/only sub-lessor thought I was a human ATM. I am serious. She would call me and ask for parts of rent early. This is before living in Harlem really started to piss me off, but I dealt with it. When it came time to move out, she actually owed me money and did not have my security deposit on hand. Thank god she had overdraft protection because I hit that shit up like it was my own money (and it was). Although, I cannot say the broker I have been dealing with has been all that great. Do you have any personal recommendations as far as brokers that will not try and fuck you with their shitty Eastern European accents all the way through the process? I know that is tough but asking can't hurt.

3. I usually don't give a fuck about value for anything but electronics, and my apartment is as close to an ASUS advertisement as it gets. I never use most of the things anyways (still wondering why I bought that tablet). I will check those websites out though. Do they have a referral program like Gilt Group because I will give you some love.

If your pay somehow derives from net trading revenues, you HAVE to believe in alpha.

I think it exists within reason. Having the market compensate people $100/hour for quality research or on their risk capital for market-making is hardly a violation of the efficient markets hypothesis. Also the ability to find out that someone is buying is also worth something to the markets.

Alpha definitely exists, but in a fairly efficient market, it's really just compensation for your time, work, and the agita of buying when everyone else is selling.

Traders and quants are really just another version of the people you see going around collecting cans for the bottle deposits. Other people can't be bothered to make another nickel off the $1.25 soda trade they made, and they leave that to to the traders.

yeah gilt is the only one i legit use a lot. make sure you grab that referral by this weekend or else the 40 percent off will go down to 20!! and neither of us want that!! lol

i do have a cool broker guy if you want his contact information, send me a PM. when we got our place he was like 'yeah markets fucked right now (april 09 haha) you can probably low ball' and it was a no fee place.

i dont really care for assigning names to things for the most part, but i believe in making money when others are fucking up. so yeah, if you considered that alpha then yes. lol

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?tag=dealnewscom&ie=UTF8&docId=100… Free $2 on amazon MP3s, code FALLMP3S

IlliniProgrammer:
I did some research and RDNY had a lot of negative reviews on Yelp. Landlord links was kinda useful and for $35, was not that big of a dent in my budget.

Really? Well I didn't find anything on rdny myself but a ton of people on city-data talked about them as being helpful. Also there are housing lotteries but it's all for income under 50k so not many people on this board can use it I imagine.

City-data.com helps also with information about moving

The bottom line is that resource assets from timber to agricultural land to oil wells really provide the option to produce the underlying components of the consumer price basket for a certain amount of labor input and are all currently paying economic rent between 3-7%/year that will scale with CPI over the long run.

The principal risk you are talking about is merely P/E compression or deflation. Either way, though, as someone worried about retirement, you are concerned about your dividends relative to inflation. In both cases, these are really just risks that retirement goes on sale even more than it is already. The one true principal risk that you have to worry about with resource assets- which is actually much lower than with treasuries- is sovereign risk; the chance that the state where your assets are nationalizes everything or turns communist. This is a risk that we really can't control and is generally present in all assets besides precious metals, but it is probably much smaller than the 3-7% economic rents these assets are paying and it's something you can diversify against.

30 years (hopefully) of retirement require a great deal of food, energy, residential real estate, furniture, and medicine/medical care. Over the long term, it is very difficult for farmland to be losing money if food is very expensive. Same with oil companies and gasoline, REITs and rents, etc.

Maybe, but do they deserve to have a high beta? Remember that if I am a long-term investor and collecting 6-8% dividends, a drop in price without a drop in operating earnings (which can really only drop if the energy component of the PPI goes down), means I am now collecting 10% dividends and that's even BETTER news for me as an investor.

.5(1.1)^30 is a heckuvalot more than 1*(1.05)^30. So if my P/Es plummet and dividend yields go up for no good reason, I'm thrilled. Indeed, the only way I can lose money over the long run is if the CPI goes down, in which case, my retirement also gets cheaper- in effect, I made the mistake of buying before the sale, but I still think I'm getting a pretty reasonable deal with 5x P/Es in European oil majors with international assets that sell into an international market.

You don't have to buy low beta dividend stocks. Buy the high beta stuff, cross your fingers that the price goes down, and if it does, be happy- now you get to buy and reinvest the (fairly safe) dividends at 9% instead of 6%. Maybe I'm getting a raw deal with 5x P/Es. Hopefully I lose another 90% while oil prices stay reasonably high and dividend yields go to 100% so I can double my money inflation-adjusted every year. But I suspect something will have to give before we get to that point and unfortunately I will be left back at 6% dividends.

IlliniProgrammer:
.5(1.1)^30 is a heckuvalot more than 1*(1.05)^30. ... I still think I'm getting a pretty reasonable deal with 5x P/Es in European oil majors with international assets that sell into an international market.

Indeed it is about 2x. But of course there's path dependency, and the final expected value has a fair amount of variance to it.

I agree with you about European oil majors, though I am a bit concerned with the Hang Seng "trading" like all of China is one big fraud.

StryfeDSP:

Buy bulk packages of chicken breast and flank steak from the frozen food area. Super low fat, high protein and you can stove cook em in 5-7min.

^ this and frozen veggies are a good addition to lean protein with low carbs and vitamins. Eat it with brown rice and you'll have a healthy diet.

It's annoying sometimes and takes planning ahead, but make simple meals in advance on weekends and then bring them with you on weekdays. Saves a lot of money vs. buying something on the run 3/4/5 days per week.

Why try to be frugal about food? I never understood this and never will. Food is one of the most enjoyable things in your life and will always be that way. I spend so much on food, it's great.

Frank Sinatra - "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy."

yeahright:

Why try to be frugal about food? I never understood this and never will. Food is one of the most enjoyable things in your life and will always be that way. I spend so much on food, it's great.

Why spend more than you have to?

yeahright:

Because when you're on a tight schedule and have the same 7 options every day 4+ times a day it gets boring. Food becomes fuel, a commodity.
"After you work on Wall Street it’s a choice, would you rather work at McDonalds or on the sell-side? I would choose McDonalds over the sell-side.” - David Tepper

Buy protein bars and protein powder in bulk. They do not need to be prepared or refrigerated. Also, eat lots of oats and drink milk if you can tolerate it.

"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man." ― William Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing

Solid deal - probably wont find much better...

Thatbbeing said - I would recommend taking a look at Briggs & Riley (personal luggage of choice). Their lifetime warranty blows Tumi's limited (I think 2 or 5 yr) out of the water... While the name isn't as well known, the customer service is in a different league.

Gray vs black --- if you're using it's as a carry on you shouldn't have too many concerns. In general though, yes - anything outside of black will show some 'dirt' (could be called character)

Was also sold by a non-Amazon seller, brings the warranty into question.

To slightly thread-jack, can anyone recommend a good laptop bag (or brand thereof)? Still using the ho-hum Targus bag from training, thinking its about time for an upgrade. Tumi, Briggs & Riley, someone mentioned Filson at some point - any other good ones?

$170 for travel apparel is not necessarily being frugal when you can get a cheap duffel bag for $40. If you travel all the time and have frequent flyer status up the wazoo, this is a smart buy. But $170 for something you use two, maybe four flights a year? With a (generous) ten year life, I still don't see the benefit over the backpack.

Sorry for being the downer, it is simply my job as the resident champion of thrift.

eriginal:
I agree with IP, I didn't even know brand name luggage was a thing until this thread. I carry on my beat duffel bag, now I feel so self-conscious...

Don't get me wrong, for short trips (business or otherwise, don't care) - totally use the old duffel bag from IBD, agreed - looking for a laptop bag because I carry it to & fro the office every day

i am generally up with thrift but the first garment bag i bought on the cheap for my IBD SA made traveling a massive pain in the ass due to bad design and low quality. if it is something you will use often spend a little more on quality and enjoy it.

Lol " After measuring yourself at home, go online and order your suit. Three weeks later, your bespoke suit will be delivered—perfectly tailored"

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Might be in for one. I've used Blank Label for shirts and had a good experience (customer service and quality), which has a similar business model. have the measurements from the last suit I had tailored so not too worried about sizing.

"For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen."

shorttheworld:
for 290 bucks cant beat it

you're welcome for that 20% off :P

"For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen."

Interesting... One of the junior guys I work with got a suit from KnotStandard recently. I think it's a bit pricier but the quality was good and it's pretty customisable.

I like to keep it old school though and have a regular tailor that I go to for most of my suits & jackets. I like the process and personal touch. I also like to try the odd new place if recommended or unique...

Is megabus safe...I much rather take GreyHound or PeterPan...

The answer to your question is 1) network 2) get involved 3) beef up your resume 4) repeat -happypantsmcgee WSO is not your personal search function.

Megabus is 100x safer than Greyhound. The reason? Tickets can only be purchased online, which eliminates the drifter/convict crowd. Buses are clean and in good shape.

"I don't know how to explain to you that you should care about other people."

she_monkey:
personal experiences tm lewin's definitely a bit below tyrwhitt. i went to both stores pretty much back to back and was able to feel a difference in material.

however given that the shirts will be pressed, and worn 1x before its pressed again.. i doubt the marginal difference in material will be visible.

shop monkeys shop!

I just don't like the feel of of those shirts. I think Tyrwhitt is more comfortable to wear for that price range.

Under my tutelage, you will grow from boys to men. From men into gladiators. And from gladiators into SWANSONS.

Head over to Nordstrom rack at union square. They have the nordstrom rack shirts for $30 (and they have slim fit as well if you need them). Pants $30-60. They have other brands as well (hugo boss, ike behar, etc)

Century 21 has good deals on shirts and pants as well ($60 for hugo boss dress shirts, cheaper brands as well). The one on the UWS is usually less crowded than the one downtown.

Those are the cheaper options that I know of. Not sure what "tier" you are looking for, but if you want to spend more or get nicer stuff there are plenty of other places I can recommend.

Nihil veniam repellendus et consequuntur. Velit voluptatem et accusamus aut. Numquam quidem expedita qui porro earum. Repellendus porro praesentium pariatur.

Laudantium accusantium iste et et non sed sint sunt. Pariatur qui alias quos et sunt corporis quae quia.

Beatae fuga atque fugiat nobis architecto amet et. Aut at error asperiores adipisci autem facere. Enim quidem molestiae ducimus et voluptatibus blanditiis. Voluptas neque iste et illo officia mollitia asperiores nostrum. Rerum omnis temporibus rerum nulla.

Incidunt ex nisi dolor consequatur. Nihil molestiae repellat sint nostrum. Et ut nisi repudiandae laboriosam sapiente laboriosam earum. Nihil sed fuga non molestiae qui.

Repellendus eaque distinctio commodi sequi dolores earum quas. Nulla iure enim est voluptas et ut. Placeat consequuntur expedita eos molestias et libero animi ut. Quia voluptatibus modi maxime aliquid exercitationem reprehenderit. Voluptatum iure qui quia voluptas corrupti. Et nam numquam dolor consequatur repellendus et molestiae.

Ut aut fuga omnis sint repellat. Quam ex ipsum voluptas laboriosam quae.

Quod fugiat enim perspiciatis esse et. Qui minus est et animi in sapiente. Quo excepturi est explicabo incidunt reprehenderit. Inventore aut natus voluptas reprehenderit. Et quaerat accusamus et recusandae qui. Deserunt odio id molestiae eaque assumenda ipsam ipsa.

Modi ut excepturi eos maiores aperiam sit. Dolorem ab sed ipsam quam necessitatibus incidunt. Ea et repellat quibusdam.

Ad odio repellendus voluptatem ex. At adipisci dolores illo amet praesentium recusandae sed. Asperiores sed nostrum ut.

Voluptatum alias reiciendis impedit dolore qui nihil blanditiis. Cupiditate odit eos eos quo. Maiores eaque ea accusantium iste dolorum. Deserunt debitis neque quod ipsa maiores.

Possimus laborum ea necessitatibus quis. Neque rem blanditiis incidunt quo error sunt debitis.

Facere ipsa distinctio provident est. Sequi ut non corrupti est. In in porro veniam vero qui repudiandae.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”