Global 500 company exec works 120 hours per week!?

Just an interesting story I wanted to share - had a conversation with a family friend who's a junior level executive at Samsung/LG/Sony in Asia. I imagine an exec position at a F500 to be quite cushy in the US. However it's a different ball game in Asia.

He mentioned that he goes to work at 6am, and gets out at 1am everyday, except for Sundays when he works a little less. That comes out to about 120 hours per week assuming he works a lighter schedule on the weekend.

The crazier thing is, he is in his late 30s and has a family. The craziest thing is, one person who was in a similar exec position and worked the same hours actually died in his sleep few years ago from the stress.

The story doesn't get better- when he tried to move to a smaller company,his bosses pretty much blackmailed him. They gave him more money and managers said if he works for another company, they will try to end his career.

After hearing that story, banking sounds like a vacation. Averaging 80 hours a week for only two years when I'm 22 sounds like a piece of cake compared to this. Keep truckin' WSO'ers!

nom_yourmom:
I believe this. It's a much different workplace culture in Japan/South Korea. You impress people by the amount of time you spend at the office, not how much work you get done. As a result, people work much longer hours but they also spend a significant amount of time napping/slacking off at work.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this guy was working the most of the time though. He said the reason why he was in the office for so long was because they staffed him on 4~5 projects at a time.

At least he's an executive,, I've seen ppl at the lower level put up with those shit coming out with only 20K in Korea (Samsung/LG/Hyundai), bound to be replaced with fresh graduates....

Doloremque vero reiciendis voluptatibus itaque perspiciatis commodi voluptates quisquam. Exercitationem pariatur dolor voluptatem ipsam. Ut dolores sint eos sunt qui placeat dolor illum. Voluptate aut quos vitae ducimus consequatur dolor eos.

[quote=patternfinder]Of course, I would just buy in scales. [/quote] See my WSO Blog | my AMA

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”