Happy Birthday Marines - 234Years + 1day

To all my fellow Marines in Finance, Happy 234 Years and 1 day of War-fighting excellence; additionally, Happy Veterans day to all Veterans in Finance.

Not as Lean, Not as Mean, but still a Marine.

Edmundo

Not sure whether I get the details right but are you wearing a CWU-27 on that one? Were you aircrew? Plus is that an SA-80 in your hands? I thought you Americans could afford gear that actually works.

Best four years of my life!

BTW, the four years after active duty are in the inactive reserves. That means you really don't do anything, but you are on the top of the list to be recalled if they need bodies.

It has to be a crisis of pretty monumental proportions for you to be recalled during inactive reserve. In fact, I've never heard of it happening. My unit was pretty busy after I got out (Somalia, etc...) and none of us who were on inactive ever got a call.

That said, it is not unusual to receive an involuntary extension. Meaning, you are active duty scheduled to get out on January 1st and they just say, "sorry, you ain't getting out" because the mission demands you stay. Once you're out, though, you're home free.

Best Response

I got out in 2005, and I was never called back. I don't actually know anyone who was called back, and they all got out around the same time. They usually just stop-loss people if they need bodies. That just means that people who are about to finish their four years on active duty will be involuntarily extended for another year or so. Basically, you may end up doing five years active instead of four, but you won't be recalled from the inactive reserves unless Canada and Mexico decide to invade us.

Also, the time from when you sign up for service to the time when you actually leave for basic training is considered part of your inactive reserve time. For example, if you decided to join the Marines but knew that you didn't want to leave for basic training until this time next year, you can sign up now and still go about your normal life, but you will have already served 1 year in the inactive reserves by the time you report to basic training next year, which will leave only three years in the inactive reserves after you leave active duty.

BTW, the Marines was also the worst four years of my life. Funny how that works!

Quite a few people were called back in the '05 time frame - but that was when there were two wars and hurricane katrina...

every initial contract is for 8 years. no matter what. if you do 4 and 4 (normal) thats what it is. Other people have done 3 and 5 or 6 and 2, but you always have the 8 year period for the first contract.

Ex et repudiandae exercitationem voluptas. Quibusdam dolorum in et earum ducimus officia. Voluptas accusantium ut incidunt in voluptatem.

Molestias ut voluptatem excepturi illum. Exercitationem voluptas qui sit maxime adipisci autem corporis. Perferendis laborum veniam quae et saepe harum. Sunt omnis dicta voluptatem adipisci dolores perspiciatis. Laudantium similique non laborum qui alias beatae. Alias aut voluptatem molestias saepe ducimus aut enim. Nesciunt cupiditate eligendi iure officiis dicta.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”