Harvard 1899 Entry Exam

if you couldn't figure that out, this was the exam to get into Harvard in 1899 (before the SATs made all entrance exams standardized)

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/education/harvardexam.pdf

Mod Edit: there's no need for a duplicate thread. Subsequent replies regarding 48/2(9+3) should go here //www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/48÷293?

damn #8 on the arithmetic section imagine doing that by hand no calculator.... it isn't hard just would take forever.

The answer to your question is 1) network 2) get involved 3) beef up your resume 4) repeat -happypantsmcgee WSO is not your personal search function.

Best Response

Before you go on and say this test is really hard you should put everything in context. Back then they started studying Latin and Greek at age 10. They also approached mathematics in a fundamentally different way.

I thought the Latin was rather easy with the exception of some of the grammar.

I don't know any Greek so I cannot comment.

The history and geography should have been very easy because when you read Greek/Latin they are always put in context. You'll know where things happened and the historical significance behind them.

The mathematics portion is another story. On one hand everything they ask is from Algebra II/Trigonometry or below. On the other hand some of the questions they asked would have never have been asked today. Our generation grew up on calculators while the former generation grew up on charts in books. I don't know if they were allowed to use charts for certain things, but it certainly would have helped.

Also as wanderer mentioned this test could actually be from 1869 since it is dated 1869 in the bottom left corner of each page. Maybe they reused in in 1899?

Latin isn't that bad for anyone who's taken Latin in HS up to AP latin. I'm still impressed that people learned latin AND greek, but humans in general are very good at being multilingual if trained from an early age. Geography was fucking hard for me, but I would imagine this is just the kind of shit they were taught in school all the time. Math was a joke. All just tedious problems, nothing really difficult analytically.

Warhead:
Math was a joke. All just tedious problems, nothing really difficult analytically.
Yeah, that's lame. "Just for fun, how about we make applicants do really long division?! I mean, REALLY long."

The math questions are insane - it sounds easy b/c we have calculators but

one of the questions was "Divide 33368949.64 by .007253"

How is that even possible without a calculator? The amount of trial and error to solve that would take 20 minutes, and that's just 1 questions

damnthetorpedos:

How is that even possible without a calculator? The amount of trial and error to solve that would take 20 minutes, and that's just 1 questions

Multiply 33368949.64 and .007253 by 1,000,000. You get 33368949640000 and 7253. The long division part will be annoying, but you gotta go what you gotta do to get into Harvard.

damnthetorpedos:

The smart answer to this question, in a time-limited context, is to drop it.

The exam is from 1869. The 1899 is a library stamp. Why would it have a library stamp if it weren't some sort of historical document?

I don't remember math at all, especially how to do it by hand, I would've done bad on that section haha. I remember the little bit of statistics and algebra and calc I use for finance purposes. Other than that, no point in remembering stuff like trig, etc.

It's like apples and oranges who studies Greek anymore? Back then everybody studied Greek after a shimsham in the wolly-yard and after your britches had been cleaned, starched, and pressed, and you'd taken your monthly bath.

F this noise.

"Major in economics; use your economics degree to get an analyst job on Wall Street; use your analyst job to get into Harvard or Stanford Business School; and worry about the rest of your life later"

It's interesting to see the differences in what people learned today vs. 150 years ago - and how they seem to have learned. Growing up, I remember lots of my tests were multiple-choice, fill-in-the-blank-type ones which really emphasized memorization of lots of facts over actual fluency, writing skill and the ability to put different concepts together. I hated classes where profs would give essay tests and questions where I would actually have to write out a paragraph on something - it was just so much easier to check off a bunch of A's and B's on a scantron. But looking back, those are really the classes where I learned the most in - because I actually had to understand the material to be able to articulate it. Don't even get me started on calculators - I luckily had some great math teachers in middle school who still made us do things by hand/mental math - but so many people today (even fellow analysts here) struggle with arithmetics. And learning Greek and Latin makes sense when you consider that Greek and Roman history and philosophy are the basis for Western civilization, and learning these languages equips you with the skills to go to the primary sources.

I hesitate to say that people back then were "smarter" because you're also talking about a 19th century society where only the elite really got educated, so they could afford to get this classical education. Not sure how today's elite prep schools stack up since I went to public schools all of my life.

Dignissimos culpa et unde ipsam quis. Nostrum delectus voluptatem molestiae quia inventore amet.

Officiis sint architecto architecto velit. Aut enim cupiditate voluptates sequi.

Quasi placeat dicta voluptates vel excepturi. Sint distinctio odit eligendi est.

I am permanently behind on PMs, it's not personal.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”