Cries:
2.3, currently in an analyst program.

Did an MSF for 1year, got a 3.5gpa, did an internship while advertising only my MSF gpa on resume, and cold-emailed a ton to get a FT.

Wow, that's super impressive. Would certainly appreciate a more detailed description of how you broke in.

seedy underbelly:
Cries:

Did an MSF for 1year, got a 3.5gpa, did an internship while advertising only my MSF gpa on resume, and cold-emailed a ton to get a FT.

Wow, that's super impressive. Would certainly appreciate a more detailed description of how you broke in.

Agreed, please contact andyluis for interview, WSO needs you
Get busy living

Best Response
Cries:

Wow, I'm pretty similar...

~2.5 UG GPA from a Big Ten school... currently 2nd year IB analyst with a regional MM

Did an MSF, got a 3.6, interned during my time MSF at a boutique unpaid, networked and pounded the pavement, got a FT interview and an MD at the boutique called the new firm I was interviewing at to "go to bat" for me Harris Williams style, haha. Nailed the interview and the rest is history.

Second_Chances:
That's awesome, congratulations! If you don't mind telling, which MSF program did you attend? Is it a top program? Also, how did you get into the school? (Gmat? Work Exp.?) I really appreciate this information.
I went to a small liberal arts school for undergrad, that nobody would have heard of. I did an MSF at a large state school, nothing super impressive. I got in because: 1.) I'm caucasian/american and 2.) GRE score. The MSF I attended had a severe lack of domestic applicants, which worked out well for me (I was rejected from the 3 other MSFs I applied to). GRE is 1560.

No work experience, no internships, no anything prior to the MSF. It was a one-year program that started about 2 weeks after my undergrad graduation.

Array

A friend of mine's dad, who is part of the admissions panel in his bank, told me that they would regard an MSF as the same as a very good undergraduate degree. So, if you didn't do well in your undergrad degree, doing an MSF would bring you to the same level as those who got Firsts/4.0s. Though I assume an MSF from the very top schools would be much better to have than just a good degree. Also, are MSFs graded everywhere, or is that just an American thing? Because from what I've heard in Europe you either pass, with the possibility of getting a distinction which are very rare, or fail. Anyone have any experience with this?

Cries, your story on overcoming a poor GPA is inspirational. Could you please tell us more?

You downplay your near-perfect GRE score. How long did you study for the GRE? Are you naturally gifted with standardized tests? How much of a math/quant background did you have before entering the MSF program?

Also, how early on into your MSF program did you begin hunting for internships?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Est sequi dignissimos et facilis. Nihil doloribus consequuntur eligendi cum deserunt aut. Fuga rerum id explicabo laudantium.

Qui corrupti enim quis voluptatem veritatis dolorum. Totam odio quaerat distinctio. Quo quos exercitationem ullam earum fugiat. Est quis est tempora soluta a dolores quos.

Animi sit error nihil totam voluptas vel. Consequatur sint est autem ut nobis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”