Hello WSO! F500 Corporate Finance Guy trying to break into Investment Banking!

Hi WSO!,

I am currently a third year Finance student at McCombs (UT/Texas). Starting out at McCombs I thought I was set on doing F500 corporate finance. I really struggled my first year averaging a 3.0 GPA and then slowly improved to a 3.35 my second year. since and I should see further upward trend from here on out.

Coming into McCombs I came in with quite a few credits and so I decided to take a gap semester off my third year to do a 6 month internship at The Boeing Company (Boeing Commercial Airplanes division) in their corporate finance division doing Financial Planning and Analysis in Seattle (I will also be returning my junior year summer). Right off the bat I will tell you that the work/life balance was great. Honestly that was the only thing I really enjoyed about the corporate finance lifestyle. Other than that the work wasn't very intellectually challenging or "sexy"/"exciting" and the people I worked with were plain average joes and weren't very "intellectual" as well. These are the two main reasons why I hate the corporate finance lifestyle.

It was in the middle of my internship that I wanted to research more challenging finance career paths with great exit options (I would like to end up in Venture Capital eventually) and I came across investment banking. It was also then I was introduced to this wonderful website. I have come to realize that my odds at a bulge bracket are almost non-existent so I am tying to at least aim for Middle Market or Boutique banks if that's even possible. I took the advice I saw on trying to get a feel of the industry by cold calling/cold e-mailing people via my alumni network and through other contacts I knew. Guess what: NO DICE! Things took a turn mid November (right before Thanksigiving) when I had the chance to have a phone conversation with an alumni from McCombs working in RBC Capital Markets in Houston. I had an informational interview with him and things went well, but afterwards I tried following up with him quite a few times and no reply at all or contact at all

Now here I am on New Years trying to figure out a game plan and seek some wisdom to get into I-Banking. There are a few minor roadblocks though. This semester was spent at my CF internship at Boeing and my next semester will be spent studying abroad in Paris so I won't have an opportunity to at least resume drop for summer analyst positions which means I would HAVE to do Full Time Recruiting. This is where I need your guys' advice and help on whether I should bother continuing trying to break i given my GPA and my previous work experience (corporate finance seems to be on the bottom rungs if not THE bottom rung of the corporate finance ladder) as well as the fact that Full time recruiting seems exponentially harder than Summer Analyst recruiting. With this I wanted to ask you guys a few questions:

1) Previous work experience is a huge deal when it comes to getting an interview with a bank it seems. How will my work experience in corporate finance at a Fortune 50 company (The Boeing Company) will fare when it comes to interviews?

2) Has the switch from a F500 internship to Investment Banking full time ever been done? I have used the search engine on this and can't find any situation/question being asked? Is my only option now to wait for MBA and then transition into banking afterwards?

2) How much more difficult is recruiting Full Time during the school year vs internship recruiting for a Summer Analyst position? Are the expectations even higher?

3) Assuming the worse of the GPA situation (where my GPA stays the same at a 3.35 going into Full time recruiting). Is this enough for FT recruiting for Middle Market/Boutique banks? What is the GPA range for such banks?

4) Finally what should I do here on out? I am going to continue to network my ass off but aside from that what else should I do?

I apologize for the meaty introduction/dilemma. I am hoping some of you will help me out!

Gad to be part of the WSO community!

Thanks

P.S: If any of you are wondering why I will be returning to Boeing for my summer internship its due to the fact I will be studying abroad next semester so I don't have access to On Campus Recruiting so I am trying to play it safe

You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and know what exactly you want. So my best advice is don't give up and be persistent. Keep networking your ass off and continue to strive at your current job. Someone once told me that getting an MBA is almost like a 'restart button'....no matter what previous GPA or job you held that all goes out the window. Just keep that in mind. Your intern experience with that non-profit sounds interesting.

Best of Luck

I have mentioned corp dev/treasury/m&a work to a high up executive as something I'd be interested to rotating to (he agreed that I seemed to be under-worked/underutilized in my current role) but he said that there are few to no analyst level positions the way our company runs it, and that despite being one of the largest companies in the world we do little acquisition work ourselves. It's still something I am trying to find out more about, but people within my department don't want me going anywhere so I have to be careful about who I ask and how I ask it.

Still not sure if I want to spend the next 30+ years grinding away in corporate finance and the WSO dream chase or look to have enough passive income to live simply and work minimally.

Neque debitis voluptatibus et voluptate voluptate dolore ipsum qui. Voluptatem magnam qui est nihil quis asperiores. Aut cumque voluptatem quia quia provident temporibus dolores quis. Ea et iste cupiditate nihil. Consequatur voluptatem aperiam perspiciatis quas libero consequatur.

Harum ad mollitia blanditiis iusto debitis architecto itaque. Asperiores enim eum id assumenda quod.

Dolores dolores et eum tenetur optio. Minus molestiae labore repudiandae corrupti.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”