long time viewer, first time poster
I'm currently in the summer after my freshmen year at the University of Michigan interning at a mortgage bank.. hey, its a job!
anyway, im looking for some advice on a major decision i have to make by the end of this month. I applied to Ross this past year (I'm currently in LSA) and i will be hearing back from them on June 22nd. However, my second semester performance was absolutely terrible because of misguided priorities, etc etc, so my cumulative gpa for my first year came out to be a 3.2. So now, despite my heavy EC activities, my chances look pretty slim so i am faced with a decision.
if i don't get into Ross, i have narrowed my Michigan route down to a major in Mathematics of Finance and Risk Management. The problem with this is that i feel like i would have to work extremely hard to boost my gpa for a chance at IB. also, so far ive only covered calc 1 so this would mean a full course load, possibly extending to some summer work, which in turn would take away more resume building opportunities. The Michigan Econ major is likely to be flooded with Ross rejects this year and my impression after taking the basic micro/macro classes isnt that great.
My other option is to transfer to Michigan State this coming fall. I have already been accepted into Eli Broad, and i have contacted the director of their FMI scholars program and have been told that I will still be eligible. For those of you who dont know, the FMI scholars program at MSU accepts 10 students, give or take, their soph year from the eli broad school and hooks them up majorly with IB opportunities. I feel that if i do decide to transfer, i will do everything possible to get a 3.8+ and i am confident i can get in.
Regardless of whether i transfer, my mind is set on working hard, so if i stay in Michigan, there wont be any screwing around. The problem is really, do i have enough time to raise the gpa for internship time? My question is, if i dont get into Ross, should i stick it out with a Financial Math major or should i try my chances at MSU's FMI Schlar program.