HK FT CLASS OF 2011 OFFICIAL THREAD!!!

Thought it would be nice to have a place to share info for those going to HK for FT in 2011!
It would be great to talk about things like housing, comp, things to watch out for, etc etc!

Comp:

545,000 base (~$70,000 USD) 240,000 housing (~31,000) USD$10,000 relocation bonus

Total first year base comp = $110,000. [Bonus typically higher in HK as well]

(Tax in HK = 15%, tax in NY = 35%) --> For US citizens, first $90,000 you only pay the HK tax.

ibhopeful532:
Comp:

545,000 base (~$70,000 USD) 240,000 housing (~31,000) USD$10,000 relocation bonus

Total first year base comp = $110,000. [Bonus typically higher in HK as well]

(Tax in HK = 15%, tax in NY = 35%) --> For US citizens, first $90,000 you only pay the HK tax.

looks like HK is the place to be then lol. NY and London out of the window..

Question to you guys regarding recruiting from the US:

For those of you who went through SA recruiting from the US, did they fly you out to HK for superdays and everything? Overall, how does recruiting in HK differ from recruiting in NYC or the other US Finance cities? Also, what's the timeline like for SA recruiting in HK?

"If you can count your money, you don't have a billion dollars." - J. Paul Getty

Best Response

^

No, usually you submit resume online / campus drop (although these are only at select targets) / referrals. Then you get two rounds of interviews by phone. If you get through those, you go to Superdays. Superdays are located usually in London, and New York (BB's in HK predominantly recruit from US/UK strong targets).

With regards to difference, it is essentially the same as US SA recruiting. The questions tend to get a little more technical in the first few rounds (since they have a much smaller class, they need to make sure people know what they are doing or are easily trainable). An increasing trend that in my opinion is making HK increasingly less accessible is that most banks are increasingly requiring translation tests (Chinese - English) which reflects the increasing deal-flow from China.

SA time-line. Interviews begin November and extend into January. Superdays typically are in February, and offers extended early February.

@ Ricqles,

That's correct, the part of the bonus is allocated into the housing stipend - however, consider this.

If the market doesn't do so hot next year and bonuses are down... let's say middle bucket US$40k, the first year analyst in NY is making (40 + 70 base) = $110

The HK analyst comp structure GUARANTEES ~100k (base + housing). In other words, you get guaranteed 30K bonus. Also, after comping in the bonus, the HK analyst usually comes out to something like $170K first year. 2nd and 3rd years will reach around 200K.

i didn't know that hk 1st year analyst get 70k as their end of year bonus (170k-100k of base + housing). But i never worked there and just heard the numbers from the places I interviewed/had friends in the banks so maybe i was wrong. really? 170k? dang! haha

CS/DB/JPM are confirmed. It ranges from 180k (15k / month) - 240k (20k/month) but as someone mentioned before, the bonus will be adjusted accordingly to reflect the amount that was paid for housing.

It should be stated in your contract / expat-package addendum. Confirm with your HR team.

^

I think some banks have LOCAL PAY for hires out of China for the first year or two and then promote them. But if you are are hired from the UK / US, I believe you will get expat package regardless of citizenship.

Nah, the packages are standard. they get bumped up as you move up the ranks. MD's get a ridiculous amount... I know one or two who lived in the FOur Seasons serviced apartments, fully comp'd by company.

expat packages are insane in China. I lived in a 5-star hotel serviced apartment for 1 year when i first moved here - as an analyst... forget about MD's - when they move here (which is rare), the company buys them EVERYTHING - including leased BMW's with full time drivers and so forth... HK is a bit of a different story, as prices are more similar to the west, but if you're getting global pay in Beijing / Shanghai you can really live like a fucking PYMP.

International Pymp:
expat packages are insane in China. I lived in a 5-star hotel serviced apartment for 1 year when i first moved here - as an analyst... forget about MD's - when they move here (which is rare), the company buys them EVERYTHING - including leased BMW's with full time drivers and so forth... HK is a bit of a different story, as prices are more similar to the west, but if you're getting global pay in Beijing / Shanghai you can really live like a fucking PYMP.

I hope you are being sarcastic

^ lol nope it's true.

Goldman Sachs Beijing (Gao Sheng Gao Hua), UBSS (UBS Beijing division), JPMorgan, Morgan Stanley gets global pay (e.g. over $1 million RMB for a first-year analyst ... to put that in perspective, the average graduate from Tsinghua/PKU -- the "harvard" of China makes ~50,000 a year --- IF they can find a job in the first place)

Daily allowances for meals (lunch and dinner) is 250RMB = ~$35 USD... which in China basically means they can eat whatever they want. Weekends are 450RMB. Best part? Goldman, UBS, JPM (which are all in the same building) all have Audi's / VW Passat's in a row waiting downstairs. If you are a GS / UBS /JPM employee, you can use the company cars for any all all transportation services. Hong Kong and Beijing analysts travel very frequently throughout Asia and frequently roadshows to US --- always on business class and stay at the best hotels in BJ/HK (e.g. Ritz, Westin, Grand Hyatt Beijing) -- all of which are leagues more luxurious than their counterparts in the US.

And I've seen GS Beijing pitchbooks and compared them to GS NY pitchbooks ---- they are exactly the same quality (complete with the silver lined covers outlining Goldman Sachs and the bindings with Goldman Sachs imprinted in silver)

I hate to sound like a total bro/douche with this question, but how are the girls in these cities? Is the best thing you have to look forward to a cute Chinese girl? or are there enough expats that there's some diversity in selection? Are there clubs that are disproportionately filled with westerners?

"If you can count your money, you don't have a billion dollars." - J. Paul Getty

girls are fine, there are ugly and pretty girls everywhere. It really depends on how good yo uare around girls ( if you are bad at it..you won't get better if you go to a different country unless you want to attract golddiggers or busted asian girls who only like westerners)

as "ibhopeful" said above, I really was not kidding about the expat pay / lifestyle here.

It should be noted that offers at GS and other places like that will require 100% fluency in written/spoken chinese as well as 95% (like a high-school educated american) level of English, so it's basically impossible for a white westerner to get an analyst position at these big banks here (though I've seen it once or twice). Mostly it's chinese and american born chinese. Where I work is a smaller PE firm and a lot of what i do is in english so the language requirements weren't quite as insane (you still need to be well above "proficient"). Not knowing the language is limiting though - I feel constrained by it daily and its tough to really be "all that you can be" here, even if your chinese is "very solid".

The girl situation is glorious. There are 10+ clubs in Beijing constantly filled with foreigners (and hot asian chicks looking for rich foreign boyfriends) as well as 100+ similar locations in Shanghai. It's definetly easier to find Chinese girls (and no, i don't mean prostitutes - though they will find you too so avoid getting to wasted without others there to "protect you from yourself"), but American and euorpean chicks are around too if you're not into the whole "asian persuasion" thing.

One note about the girl situation is that while there's more foreign guys here than girls (maybe 60/40), the VAST majority of foreign chicks here have no interest in chinese/asian guys. On the other hand, 99% of guys here are interested in both chinese/asian chicks as well as foreigners - so in reality, the odds are tilted HEAVILY in your favor. I'm not saying you should come out here looking for a new wife (though I've found a pretty serious GF lately), but as an analyst or someone below like 28, it's pretty tight.

There are negatives though - for example, I've been here for a few years and am getting good experience, but am starting to worry that my skills won't translate properly back home in the US. Laws/regulations are different, we generally use a less formal, institutionalized and more cowboy type investment process, etc... I also work in RE PE and we don't use argus for modeling, while most US firms do...

HK is in some ways the best of both worlds, but it's WAY more expensive there and the girl situation isn't quite as obscene. If you start in HK you can move up to the mainland or back home to the US pretty easily, which is sick.

im thinking midlevels serviced-apartments (sacrifice space for convenience). will be happy with a studio... realistically won't be at home much anyway

I need to do more DD on this though. Kowloon is a possibility, it's a lot cheaper. I just want to live in a non-shady apartment though

are most banks done with recruiting for HK office? I have been in touch with HRs at different banks, they all told me phone screening starts in November. But obviously some monkeys on WSO have gone through interviews/got offers already... Is the process different between target/non-target?

Doloremque et nemo rem deleniti dolores dolores quasi. Aspernatur nesciunt et libero harum. Laudantium minima aut aliquam tempora qui sunt quis. Nihil aut ex quia. Aut in veniam eligendi quisquam perspiciatis vel.

Aut sint id quaerat repellendus distinctio officia sed. Et temporibus consequatur non consectetur animi dolorem tempora. Reiciendis cupiditate molestiae autem delectus quisquam. Nulla aperiam nobis perferendis maiores qui magnam ratione. Quia laboriosam temporibus laudantium vel.

Illum quod tempore et consequatur eligendi quis quas qui. Molestiae vitae quam similique quia placeat labore. Aut rerum et tenetur nobis expedita architecto hic. Placeat velit quos cum consequatur repudiandae. Consequatur eos quibusdam id ut. Cupiditate consequatur commodi repellendus excepturi quia omnis vero. Rerum quisquam veniam quo atque ullam labore architecto.

Quibusdam tempore provident quasi et. Voluptate consequatur alias ad et similique consectetur fuga.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”