How many "buy-side" investment clients would pay between $20,000 to $40,000 service fees for big 3 credit rating agency - Moody'

Hello,

I am doing research on the credit rating industry. There is much controversy among Credit rating agency's business model post sub-prime. The issuer pay model clearly has serious conflict of interests. Beside income from debt issuers, does anyone know roughly how many investment clients (e.g. buy side hedge fund or mutual fund) would actually pay Big 3 agencies between $20,000 to $40,000 on advisory fees?

Thanks. Need your opinions urgently.

My perspective: Hedge fund-not many; if I were paying 2&20 I'd want original thinking. One exception may be CDO managers, whose agreements often require certain ratings in order to manage the risk for the various tranches.

Other buysiders (insurance companies, mutual funds) may be willing to pay. Certain subsectors are dependent on ratings to prove their investments are sufficiently low-risk.

There have been many great comebacks throughout history. Jesus was dead but then came back as an all-powerful God-Zombie.

credit hedge funds would very frequently use S&P and Moodys online portals for ratings/analystics/research/etc, and even those cost tens of thousands per year... but making investors pay for ratings is a retarded idea, the whole point of new legislation is to make it more transparent and accessible....i.e. if 1 agency is "hired" by an issuer, it has to disclose all information that the issuer gave it to other NRSROs so they could, if they wanted to, give unsolicited ratings. issuer pays is the best model, you just have to keep business side and rating analytics side separate. ibanks managed a chinese wall just fine its no big deal

They don't pay for ratings, they pay for bespoke analytical reports. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the smaller, 3-partner no-analyst hedge funds would commission a bespoke investment report in an area they weren't sure of, but found appealing. Where did you derive that fee range from?

The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

Aliquid et eos error et voluptas suscipit. Illo sunt neque recusandae voluptate facere non. Reprehenderit officiis suscipit mollitia eaque cum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (250) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”