ARGUS....how to learn the basics without spending money??

Is there a quick and free way to learn the basics of ARGUS....I don't want to buy the program or spend money on some ridiculous training course/session.

To be honest, I just want to be able to say that I'm familiar with the program whenever I interview.

The best way to learn argus is to download the trial version and play with it.

I am assuming you were looking into CRE jobs and they all required argus exp. The truth is that you wont even get an interview if you don't have working exp with argus, no matter how well you know it. The CRE job mkt is VERY bad right now.

--- man made the money, money never made the man

Ways to get it for $500 or less. 1. Get your employer to pay for it. Should be able to do so if your boss doesn't suck and you are in a remotely relevant field. ARGUS is the industry standard. 2. Go to a nearby university, get in touch with the RE club. Ask when ARGUS training is. Work a deal and see if they let you pay for a slot. I've seen it done this way. 3. There are some online resources you can learn from. Never heard of anyone using them but they are out there.

If you're a student you can purchase the e-learning material which includes the certification exam. I purchased a copy a few weeks ago.

Also, your school has to have an agreement with Argus in order to purchase the student version.

Best Response
GoldmanBallSachs][quote=tbux22:
If you're a student you can purchase the e-learning material which includes the certification exam. I purchased a copy a few weeks ago.

Also, your school has to have an agreement with Argus in order to purchase the student version.

Just curious, is this the package you purchased? Or did it not come with all those things? Also, if this was it, was it 500? http://customer.argussoftware.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1638/.f[/quote]

The package included everything mentioned. I am assuming the Certification Manual is the same as the University Training Guide. I also have a 6 month license instead of 1 month license.

I think the link you have provided is a version for non students.

Scroll down to "elearning certication package includes:" and you will see what I purchased for $500. Exclude the One day advanced classroom training. http://www.argussoftware.com/en/education/universityprogram/files/Unive…

Maybe a stupid question, but what is the difference between the duration of "license" and "certification"? The non student link mentions "the 1 month academic DCF License" and "certification is valid for two years". Thank you!

The Auto Show

huanleshalemei:
Maybe a stupid question, but what is the difference between the duration of "license" and "certification"? The non student link mentions "the 1 month academic DCF License" and "certification is valid for two years". Thank you!

The "licensing" of the product refers to the length of time you would be able to have access to Argus software.

The certification is what you receive after you pass the Argus certification exam. This shows you are knowledgeable enough about Argus to pass their administered exam.

tbux22:
huanleshalemei:

The "licensing" of the product refers to the length of time you would be able to have access to Argus software.

The certification is what you receive after you pass the Argus certification exam. This shows you are knowledgeable enough about Argus to pass their administered exam.

thank you! do you know the duration of the free trial version of Argus? can't find such information at all. http://www.argussoftware.com/en/solutions/valuation.aspx

timing is such a key...

The Auto Show

License refers to use of the program, and certification refers to the passing of the test. You have to recertify every two years so that they can make additional money on the re-certification exam.... I meant, so that you can re-confirm you are still familiar with the program. Whoopsy daisy.

GBS

GoldmanBallSachs:
License refers to use of the program, and certification refers to the passing of the test. You have to recertify every two years so that they can make additional money on the re-certification exam.... I meant, so that you can re-confirm you are still familiar with the program. Whoopsy daisy.

thank you! ye it's shi*ty that we have to pay for the monopoly (a.k.a. industry standard), hopefully after 2 years someone can pay for me!

The Auto Show

pudding:

Just out of curiosity, any reason you are doing training in DCF instead of AE? From what I was told by the nice people over at Argus, they are trying to completely phase out DCF and are really only selling AE now.

I'm just doing what I'm told to be honest and I was told to learn Argus over the next three days and get certified. It makes sense if they're moving people over though. DCF looks like it's straight out of Windows 97. Pretty impressive program otherwise though.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Don't have any specific materials to share, but I've been using Argus for a while now and still find the "Step by Step" guide they put out to be a great resource. It literally walks you through building a cash flow model. You can download it for free from Argus (although I think it was published in 2008, so there might be slight differences depending on which version you're using).

You can take the Argus class, it's like two days. I took it many moons ago. Advanced use just takes time and trial and error.

Also, did you upload an avatar of no avatar? Pretty strange, dude.

Please don't quote Patrick Bateman.

Hi there!

I am a college student looking to break into the real estate industry. Would be gladly appreciated if anyone could send the training materials and case studies to me too?

Thanks a lot!

prospie,

Argus offers a $500 certification program for college students. I would receive a 6 month software license, as well as access to e-learning courses.

The problem I do NOT want to run into, of course, is starting the e-learning courses and not having enough foreknowledge to be able to comprehend the courses.

to pass the ARGUS test all you need are the materials they give you during the training. They are certifying that you can use their software, not that you understand RE finance. Yea, it helps if you know what the trainer means when they say that the cap rate is 5%, but like prospie said, if you've done well in corp finance the concepts are not hard to pick up on.

If you want to go crazy: http://www.amazon.com/Real-Estate-Finance-Investments/dp/0073377333/ref… is the book you'd want.

Your school library probably has it, or an equivalent.

I recently purchased the $500 Argus package and plan on getting certified in the next week or 2. It comes with 10 e-learning sessions, a course manual, 6 month license, a pretest, and the actual certification test. I've spoken with a few people who have done it with this package and it seems like it shouldn't be too hard as long as you complete the 10 courses, and study the manual, which is pretty much a step-by-step instruction guide on how to use the Argus program.

In terms of cost, I think its a really good deal. The certification exam itself is $350, so you're getting a lot of extras for an additional $150. If you weren't a student, I think the same package sells for over $1000.

Hey welcome2nyc, I'm the WSO Monkey Bot and I'm here since nobody responded to your thread! Bummer...could just be time of day or unlucky (or the question/topci is too vague or too specific). Maybe one of these topics will help:

More suggestions...

Fingers crossed that one of those helps you.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Quaerat quam pariatur nostrum ea fugiat a et. Tenetur excepturi laborum quia et quibusdam rem minus. Velit sequi temporibus distinctio porro. Ad consequatur sint et quia accusantium dolorum cumque. Magnam dolorem magnam impedit dolorem aliquam inventore. Rerum est similique beatae ea harum.

Et rerum nemo porro veritatis. Recusandae id enim aut ut.

Quasi ut vel porro ratione et fugit. Quod officia asperiores animi a dolor incidunt aspernatur. Eius aut sit omnis et soluta voluptas.

Omnis repudiandae quo non. In ad deleniti et voluptates atque optio.

"Who am I? I'm the guy that does his job. You must be the other guy."

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”