Fortune 500 summer finance internship to Full-time mid-office job at an Investment bank

I have a finance analyst summer internship as a junior in college at a Fortune 500. I accepted the offer awhile back so I wont back out. After much thought and information I have received about the company, it is not somewhere I would want to work full time after graduation. I instead want to work at an Investment Bank in a MO position. Will it be difficult to do that if I did not have a summer internship from the bank I want to work at?

Best Response

Are you going into your junior year, or coming out of it? Obviously, the best situation is that you intern at the company/bank you want to work for. Conversely, the worst situation is having no internship at all. This late in the spring, you probably won't be able to get an IB internship anyway. Having a F500 internship on your resume is great- You'll just need to work on developing the story you can tell interviews at IBs. Why your desires shifted to IB, etc. No job worth having is easy to get. You'll have to work on networking to get interviews at your target bank, and then work on your story and your people skills so that you do well in the interview. It would obviously be better if you were interning at your target bank, but you are by no means out of the running for getting a job there. Keep your chin up, work hard, and don't be closed off to the idea that you might enjoy your internship and want to stay.

I see. Unfortunately I have no experience/knowledge of what banks are looking for in a financial analyst, but I do know that for most (if not all) companies, having a financial analyst internship is good enough to get you hired and it doesn't matter where it was. Obviously, the size and industry of the firm and the breadth of your experiences will help you, but most financial analyst internships are the same.

You need to stop worrying so much, and I say that in the most encouraging sort of way.

Just get some kind of work experience that will make you a better professional, and give you the chance to figure out what your career aspirations truly are.

Network with people in the industry. Use the time you have in the summer to meet with alumni, contacts, etc. I'm assuming you're interning at a big city (NYC, LA, Chicago, etc.) and that your hours aren't too bad. Use your extra time to meet with people now, and you'll have a much easier time during recruiting. You'll have people to hopefully help you interview and give your advice along the way.

enti98:

Network with people in the industry. Use the time you have in the summer to meet with alumni, contacts, etc. I'm assuming you're interning at a big city (NYC, LA, Chicago, etc.) and that your hours aren't too bad. Use your extra time to meet with people now, and you'll have a much easier time during recruiting. You'll have people to hopefully help you interview and give your advice along the way.

Thanks but im pretty far from nyc.

Deleniti praesentium nihil nostrum doloribus. Aut non molestias minus asperiores. Culpa quia reiciendis voluptatem sint perferendis eos et. Tempora iure recusandae laborum quo. Nemo est error voluptates sit et dolores omnis.

Beatae minus voluptatum similique officiis fugiat non perferendis numquam. Accusantium blanditiis voluptas hic reprehenderit neque laborum voluptatem.

Iste non vel ipsam aut. Totam magni vel saepe cum. Et atque ipsam numquam laboriosam.

Dolor doloribus aut sed id. Qui eos voluptas repellendus non quia deleniti. Minus odit minima nemo ab ut a recusandae. Commodi sit quia aperiam esse. Facilis voluptas vero quis incidunt sunt. Beatae perferendis eius excepturi tempora eaque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”