Current reputation?
Future outlook?
Better exit opps?

Which one to chose?

Group dependent. eg FIG UBS > FIG Nomura. but overall UBS is above nothing special happening at either places

no similar exit opps. it's confirmed by linkedin you can have a look by yourself to judge

imo in your place i'd go by UBS

UBS

(speaking from my perspective with my opinions) UBS was still considered a prestigious global bank before 2008, obv had lots of trouble post 2008. BUT they've already gone through the BS that Deutsche and CS are going thru right now, and IMO, there shouldnt be too many cuts at UBS in the future as the bank is somewhat stabilizing.

Nomura isnt doing too hot rn to be honest, and as a Japanese bank the prestige isn't there, again, IMO.

UBS M&A, Tech, and LevFin (especially), are quite good, at least in NYC. LevFin is highly regarded in Londres as well, I know for a fact.

BTW what school do you attend? Bocconi?

There is no separate Tech team in Europe at UBS. Tech is now part of TMT. Tech in the US was non-existent for a while - some people left and some were let go - and they literally had one person running around on the West Coast. This may have well changed, but UBS is nowhere close to being able to compete with US banks in US Tech. Telecoms & Media, particularly in Europe, is completely different. It is arguably, one of the strongest teams they have...

I don't get the point of spreading purely false information. Nomura has offices in pretty much all European countries, including Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Netherlands, and Nordics.

The reason why you should choose UBS over Nomura is simply the massively greater number (and size) of key European corporate clients, guaranteeing a pretty constant deal flow which Nomura doesn't enjoy. Nomura's experience would probably be more skewed towards financing, which is the only area where they still compete aggressively. In advisory league table terms we are talking about a constant Top 10 vs a ~ Top 30. As a matter of fact, I know 2-3 people who moved from Nomura to UBS, but none that did the opposite.

The only factor that could change this decision is that at Nomura most people with some seniority (think Associate 1 and above) can have a pretty relaxed life for being in IBD in London, and still get exposure to some nice deals once in a while and enjoy the BB salary. On the other hand, UBS is pretty much a sweatshop.

Best Response

I just did a high-level check on league tables positions as compiled by mergermarket data for Europe as a whole, maybe that helps:

2012-2017 YTD: UBS 11, Nomura 21 2013-2017 YTD: UBS 11, Nomura 29 2014-2017 YTD: UBS 11, Nomura 27 2015-2017 YTD: UBS 11, Nomura 34 2016-2017 YTD: UBS 10, Nomura 43

I guess that's what you call a trend...

Where did you like the people more? Have you spoken to people who actually work at either of these places (excluding interviews obvs)? Have you thought about team selection? Maybe you have a connection at one of your preferred teams at one of the banks?

Once you get in the bank experiences can massively differ between teams (i.e. Nomura TMT has the longest hours - literally every single day until 3 am, do you know which teams at UBS are sweatshops?). You need to speak to people at both places who can share their honest views and then make a decision based on culture. What you learn will not be too different at Nomura or UBS.

PM me if you want any further info..

Have had experience with both firms over the years and have friends working at both places.

UBS enjoys a better reputation given the successful restructuring Orcel and Ermotti did in 2013-2014, essentially exiting the FICC business. They've tried to rebuild the IB business as well and a number of very good bankers have left - Warshaw, Hartop, Reid, the list goes on. New people have been brought on board, but many have failed to impress and have since left or were let go...There is a lot of instability in the organisation and people are being let go all the time - from analyst to MD. TMT and FIG are probably the two teams where you will get excellent experience as an analyst and equally, these teams are known to be pretty hardcore. ECM is strong as well and you will have good dealflow, but your experience would be quite different from your peers in sector teams.

Nomura has had a number of tough years post Lehman, which culminated in the closing of Equities and ECM businesses in Europe last year. A large number of ex-Lehmanites have left over the years, yet plenty of them are still around. From recent discussions with a number of people there, it certainly feels that the business is performing well (both on M&A and LevFin sides) and is on an upward trajectory overall. Nomura's strongest teams are LevFin, TMT, Consumer & Retail, Financial Sponsors. Notably, Nomura has a much stronger LevFin franchise vs UBS (and, as a matter of fact, a number of other players on the Street). Again, experience would be quite specific and not directly comparable to that of your peers. However, exits from LevFin to PE are much easier than from ECM.

Your exit opps will depend on the team you will end up at and your own performance. On balance, comparing teams like for like, you would probably get marginally better chances coming out of UBS. Again, LevFin is probably going to be the only exception to this rule.

It is difficult to choose and without knowing the full details it is quite difficult to provide meaningful advice. For me it would mostly come down to the choice of the team (as per above some teams are much stronger than others).

Qui et nisi placeat sit non iure. Maxime tempora tenetur dolorem cupiditate vel. Natus et ipsa est repellat. Iure nam iure voluptatibus exercitationem optio ex voluptas.

Expedita quia doloribus quis harum praesentium incidunt. Est magnam dolorum totam similique qui est et in. Est aliquam quia consequatur. Molestiae praesentium repudiandae asperiores quidem vitae dolorum. Esse sed molestias unde qui nisi expedita qui. Optio quos esse consectetur voluptatibus illum sapiente. Est quibusdam corporis qui quia facilis.

Dolorem deserunt odio exercitationem enim omnis. Modi id nulla illum doloribus. Voluptatum quidem optio expedita voluptates.

Eos consequuntur non molestiae maxime expedita. Occaecati ullam aliquam consequatur nihil aut. Consequatur quasi totam explicabo placeat impedit. Earum vero atque harum. Sed neque sint autem quaerat et qui quia.

Earum quibusdam rerum fugit sit ut. Ut et cumque consequatur ratione molestiae quod minima. Ut autem quam laboriosam qui dolorum qui. Et deleniti ullam ut et. Ut iusto fugit et quibusdam qui.

Iure deserunt non voluptates et. Sapiente labore veritatis dolor voluptas et provident fugiat. Vel facere quia aliquid officia accusantium reprehenderit velit voluptas. Commodi quisquam non quos blanditiis rem alias. Error officiis voluptates reiciendis est.

Et occaecati in qui eligendi libero. Quia dolores adipisci pariatur velit. Quidem voluptates sit maxime necessitatibus minima vero. Fugit aperiam aliquid aut maxime.

Dicta deleniti qui maxime ea fugiat. Voluptas aut illo suscipit suscipit. Veritatis vero quo occaecati enim saepe sed earum. Quidem omnis sed minima nisi recusandae. Quos doloribus repellendus quod laboriosam suscipit enim. Ut molestiae dolor asperiores et dolores perferendis. Illo odit vel consequatur quia deserunt.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”