• Sharebar

We all know how expensive pursuing MBA can be. Most programs would cost you anywhere from 50-80k a year including living expenses. Then, factor in the opportunity cost of leaving your work for two years, and MBA sure as hell is an expensive credential to pursue.

So, what is the lowest ranked-MBA program that you would consider attending, after factoring in ROI, opportunity cost, and risk/ reward potential?

For me - I wouldn't attend an MBA ranked below U Texas/ UNC range. Getting I-banking or top consulting out of UNC/ U Texas MBA can still be tough, but at least I will get to watch sick sports and have an awesome social life at these schools, which make these two MBA programs worth it to attend in my book.

Comments (340)

  • illiniPride's picture

    I wont waste my money on a MBA unless I'm going to a top 5-7 school.

    Leadership can be defined in two words: "Follow Me"

  • In reply to illiniPride
    Sexy_Like_Enrique's picture

    illiniPride wrote:
    I wont waste my money on a MBA unless I'm going to a top 5-7 school.

    I used to think this way too, but I noticed there are many successful finance and consulting guys from B-schools such as NYU Stern, Duke, Michigan Ross, Cornell, and UNC, all of which are ranked outside top 7.

    My guess would be that ultra selective employers such as MBB consulting or elite PE shops don't recruit outside M7, but outside of these small number of employers, it doesn't make that much difference as long as you attend a top 15-20-ish school, but that's just my speculation. I think most of BB's and non-MBB consulting shops still recruit heavily at most of top 20 MBA programs.

    Outside of top 20 MBA though, I think all B-schools are just scams desperate to collect your tuition money.

  • illiniPride's picture

    I personally don't care much who recruits where. I'm pretty sure I won't need business school and will only go to take a break from working and gain access to a new network. I'm also pretty sure I'll be able to get into one of the top 7.

    If not, I'll take my money and travel instead while reading a ton and auditing an online class or two. I think it would be pretty cool to live in south/central america for six months and in europe for another six.

    Leadership can be defined in two words: "Follow Me"

  • In reply to seedy underbelly
    Sexy_Like_Enrique's picture

    seedy underbelly wrote:
    Too freaking expensive to go anywhere outside the top 15.

    I seriously think lower-ranked programs need to reduce their tuition, or they are just being scams and screwing with people's future. Imagine going into 150k in debt for a mediocre MBA and ending up in a dead end job with shitty pay. Why anyone would choose to attend Purdue MBA paying 150k is beyond me...

  • In reply to Sexy_Like_Enrique
    seedy underbelly's picture

    Sexy_Like_Enrique wrote:
    seedy underbelly wrote:
    Too freaking expensive to go anywhere outside the top 15.

    I seriously think lower-ranked programs need to reduce their tuition, or they are just being scams and screwing with people's future. Imagine going into 150k in debt for a mediocre MBA and ending up in a dead end job with shitty pay. Why anyone would choose to attend Purdue MBA paying 150k is beyond me...

    But they won't because gullible people will stay pay for them. I agree, they should be much cheaper than the top 7.

  • In reply to seedy underbelly
    Sexy_Like_Enrique's picture

    seedy underbelly wrote:
    Sexy_Like_Enrique wrote:
    seedy underbelly wrote:
    Too freaking expensive to go anywhere outside the top 15.

    I seriously think lower-ranked programs need to reduce their tuition, or they are just being scams and screwing with people's future. Imagine going into 150k in debt for a mediocre MBA and ending up in a dead end job with shitty pay. Why anyone would choose to attend Purdue MBA paying 150k is beyond me...

    But they won't because gullible people will stay pay for them. I agree, they should be much cheaper than the top 7.

    Agreed. And, this is kind of sad.

    One guy I know from my high school was about to attend MBA at a tier two state school, paying shit load of money. When I asked him if he thought that was a good investment idea or not, he replied: "where you go to school doesn't matter. what matters is your personal character and your effort." I've known too far many people who have this kind of mentality and willing to go attend some horseshit schools for MBA or law schools, paying insane amounts of money. All of that is nice, except you will likely to miss out on most of finance/ consulting recruiting if you attend MBA ranked below top 20. And, the ultimate purpose of going to MBA is to get a job in finance or consulting...

    I wish there is some regulation that polices the prices of MBA programs, and sets the ceiling on the prices. There are just too many retards who are going to pay insane amounts to attend these second tier MBA schools, only to fuck with their lives with shit load of debt. This whole thing - outrageous tuition even at mediocre MBA, colleges, and law schools - is fucking retarded and this needs to be fixed.

  • In reply to Sexy_Like_Enrique
    PIGS's picture

    Sexy_Like_Enrique wrote:
    seedy underbelly wrote:
    Sexy_Like_Enrique wrote:
    seedy underbelly wrote:
    Too freaking expensive to go anywhere outside the top 15.

    I seriously think lower-ranked programs need to reduce their tuition, or they are just being scams and screwing with people's future. Imagine going into 150k in debt for a mediocre MBA and ending up in a dead end job with shitty pay. Why anyone would choose to attend Purdue MBA paying 150k is beyond me...

    But they won't because gullible people will stay pay for them. I agree, they should be much cheaper than the top 7.

    Agreed. And, this is kind of sad.

    One guy I know from my high school was about to attend MBA at a tier two state school, paying shit load of money. When I asked him if he thought that was a good investment idea or not, he replied: "where you go to school doesn't matter. what matters is your personal character and your effort." I've known too far many people who have this kind of mentality and willing to go attend some horseshit schools for MBA or law schools, paying insane amounts of money. All of that is nice, except you will likely to miss out on most of finance/ consulting recruiting if you attend MBA ranked below top 20. And, the ultimate purpose of going to MBA is to get a job in finance or consulting...

    I wish there is some regulation that polices the prices of MBA programs, and sets the ceiling on the prices. There are just too many retards who are going to pay insane amounts to attend these second tier MBA schools, only to fuck with their lives with shit load of debt. This whole thing - outrageous tuition even at mediocre MBA, colleges, and law schools - is fucking retarded and this needs to be fixed.

    So what you are saying is that an MBA is useless unless you want to go the consulting/finance route

    AND

    That there are lots of retards in this world who go to top 20 business schools instead of top 7.

  • TonyPerkis's picture

    HBS

    I eat success for breakfast...with skim milk

  • FutureBanker09's picture

    WUSTL #20, and that's only because they are free to apply, require no recs, and with my gmat/ background I could probably get a decent scholarship there.

  • heister's picture

    The rank of the overall bschool doesnt mean anything. It depends on what you want to do. For example one of the top MBA programs for golf course management is at a MBA program that isnt even top 100. You all are too quick to write of anyone who does not ooze prestige. The fact of the matter is that finance is not the only career path that exists in the world.

    Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays

    Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

  • happypantsmcgee's picture

    For all you jackassees saying anything outside the top 10 is a waste, work for a few years and see how successful alums from some of those 'middling' institutions are.

    If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

  • Brady4MVP's picture

    Given my age and career goals, it would not make sense for me to go below M7. I seriously considered applying to tuck, stern, and haas, but tuck's location in the middle of nowhere is a dealbreaker, and the latter two's weakness in buyside recruiting is a non-starter as well.

    For MBB and generic banking though, anything in the top 15 would work. It will be harder to get MBB from say darden as opposed to kellogg, but plenty have done it with hard work and some luck.

  • Bobb's picture

    Wouldn't this really depend on what you plan on doing post mba? Sure if you want to work at the top PE/IB/MBB firm having having a top 5-7 mba is definitely going to give you a great advantage. Even if you go top 20, you can make anything happen with the right connections etc. Suppose you want to work at a lower tier bank or boutique firm? Is a top 5 school necessary?

    Maybe you don't want to do banking or PE at all. I think it all really depends on your post mba plans and what you want to do in life

  • In reply to Bobb
    Brady4MVP's picture

    Bobb wrote:
    Wouldn't this really depend on what you plan on doing post mba? Sure if you want to work at the top PE/IB/MBB firm having having a top 5-7 mba is definitely going to give you a great advantage. Even if you go top 20, you can make anything happen with the right connections etc. Suppose you want to work at a lower tier bank or boutique firm? Is a top 5 school necessary?

    Maybe you don't want to do banking or PE at all. I think it all really depends on your post mba plans and what you want to do in life

    Yes, I agree with this for the most part. It also depends on your opportunity cost and what you're willing to give up for an MBA. For a lot of people, they are not willing to take out a massive loan and give up 2 years of income for any b-school that is not top 10. Much of this comes down to personal career goals, preferences, etc.

  • illiniPride's picture

    I think my point is being misunderstood. I think all MBA degrees are overvalued so I would rather take a year off traveling than go almost anywhere. This is just my opinion and I had no intention of slighting those who go to schools outside of the top 7.

    Leadership can be defined in two words: "Follow Me"

  • In reply to Sexy_Like_Enrique
    UFOinsider's picture

    Sexy_Like_Enrique wrote:
    One guy I know from my high school was about to attend MBA at a tier two state school, paying shit load of money. When I asked him if he thought that was a good investment idea or not, he replied: "where you go to school doesn't matter. what matters is your personal character and your effort." I've known too far many people who have this kind of mentality and willing to go attend some horseshit schools for MBA or law schools, paying insane amounts of money.

    Coming from a guy who went to a state school and busted his ass to find a job, speaking to a guy going to an ivy who made no effort: this is an absurd asessment. As long as we're not talking an MBA from bumfuck community college, a lot of those schools do just fine. For finance, yes, certain schools serve as recruiting pipelines so you want to go there.

    But as for your argument that the government should regulate what schools do what: that's a whole different topic and has been covered in many threads here.

    As for what school: top 20 for me. If I kill the GMAT, this becomes [hopefully] top ten. I have a shitty ugrad GPA that's going to be a weight around my neck, so I can't realistically think HBS/Standford but I'm still going to apply.

    Get busy living

  • ConanDBull's picture

    University of Pheonix MBA best one on the market!

    "Know what to do, know how to do it, and do it hard." - Juan Castillo

    If you are in the Toronto Area join my group "Toronto Prospective Monkeys"
    http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/group/toronto-prosp...

  • In reply to illiniPride
    Brady4MVP's picture

    illiniPride wrote:
    I think my point is being misunderstood. I think all MBA degrees are overvalued so I would rather take a year off traveling than go almost anywhere. This is just my opinion and I had no intention of slighting those who go to schools outside of the top 7.

    An M7 MBA is definitely not overvalued. You should really do some more research on this.

  • shorttheworld's picture

    I cant comment on UNC but Ive heard some strong things about them although they have to compete with Duke and maybe Emory regionally and then for NYC things get much tougher. But in terms if Texas, UT has the best energy finance program. If you want to do energy finance in Houston, youre better off going to UT or Rice. Houston is not dominated by Ivy leaguers and is quite the opposite with most guys being from UT, A&M, Rice as the top schools who quite honestly would rather higher a smart state school kid from Texas than a yacht warrior New Englander who went to Philips. The other beauty about McCombs is that if you are a solid candidate from out of state who plans to stay in state after graduating ie energy finance, they're pretty liberal to give you an instate waiver -- bringing it from 50k to 30k a year for tuition. Couple that with Texas as a place to live after has solid eco growth, low taxes and much cheaper RE andTONS of latinas = winwinwin. Sure it doesnt place a ton of in New York but unless you have a hard on for NYC, who the fuck cares? They still dominate energy banking -- consulting sure could be stronger but Deloitte is still strong even though it isnt MBB, and you can stay in Austin after to live and work. Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio are all very solid cities and LOTS of tech opening up in Austin. If you want to live in a warm climate low tax state, especially if you want to do energy finance, then UT is top tier -- even for the supermajors rotational programs McCombs has kids going in competing against M7s. Dream job for me would be working at DFA in Austin. fapfapfapfpafpafpap

    Disclaimer: Austin gives me a hard on. huge fucking chubber.

  • In reply to Sexy_Like_Enrique
    cphbravo96's picture

    Sexy_Like_Enrique wrote:
    illiniPride wrote:
    I wont waste my money on a MBA unless I'm going to a top 5-7 school.

    I used to think this way too, but I noticed there are many successful finance and consulting guys from B-schools such as NYU Stern, Duke, Michigan Ross, Cornell, and UNC, all of which are ranked outside top 7.

    My guess would be that ultra selective employers such as MBB consulting or elite PE shops don't recruit outside M7, but outside of these small number of employers, it doesn't make that much difference as long as you attend a top 15-20-ish school, but that's just my speculation. I think most of BB's and non-MBB consulting shops still recruit heavily at most of top 20 MBA programs.

    Outside of top 20 MBA though, I think all B-schools are just scams desperate to collect your tuition money.

    Ideally you want to be top 10, to have a shot at the 'elite' jobs/recruiting...but realistically, a top 25 will get you where you need to be if you have more of a regional focus.

    For instance, when I apply to bschool, I will be focused on the SE US. Because of this, as school like Vanderbilt or Emory would trump a school like Texas, even though Texas is considering a better program. Dollar wise, I will be spending near the same amount as a top 7 school, so if I can get in, I'm better off going their, because the brand name is substantial enough to still work well in a more regional market...however, a UNC or Emory is going to serve me better in Atlanta or Charlotte vs an MBA from Texas...and vice versa if I wanted to work in Texas.

    Also, you might be able to secure more cost reductions/grants/scholarships in the 11-25 range vs the 1-10, depending on the overall strength of applications. I've heard of people considering Vanderbilt, UT, UNC and Emory going to UNC because they reduced the tuition significantly for them. That, of course, may be a unique situation.

    Regards

    "The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so."
    - Ronald Reagan

  • In reply to Brady4MVP
    illiniPride's picture

    Brady4MVP wrote:
    illiniPride wrote:
    I think my point is being misunderstood. I think all MBA degrees are overvalued so I would rather take a year off traveling than go almost anywhere. This is just my opinion and I had no intention of slighting those who go to schools outside of the top 7.

    An M7 MBA is definitely not overvalued. You should really do some more research on this.

    Overvalued to me. Not to everyone.

    Leadership can be defined in two words: "Follow Me"

  • txjustin's picture

    Out of the M-7 probably more like top 5, all schools are regional.

    For me, I'd attend Rice so whatever they're ranked. Top 30?

  • heister's picture

    Personally, I am going to HES for my masters after I retire.

    Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays

    Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

  • shorttheworld's picture

    to build on CPH's comments, NYC is really the only metro area that circlejerks to brand name, at least to a strong degree. ive heard of kids from mendoza and kelley all landing solid jobs in chicago alongside ross -- socal is marshall and anderson with stanford and haas thrown in too.

    you also have to understand that people at these other schools arent so hype on OMG MBB IBD LALALASUCKSWALLOWYUM so there is less competition as well.

  • In reply to txjustin
    PossumBelly's picture

    txjustin wrote:
    Out of the M-7 probably more like top 5, all schools are regional.

    That.

    Go to the best school in the region in which you wish to live post-grad.

    If that is Texas --> don't go to Tuck.

    If that is New York ---> don't go to Haas

    If that is California ---> don't go to Sloan

    Not that you can't get to one from the other, but you're wasting the reason you get an mba...the network.

  • In reply to shorttheworld
    UFOinsider's picture

    shorttheworld wrote:
    to build on CPH's comments, NYC is really the only metro area that circlejerks to brand name, at least to a strong degree.

    you also have to understand that people at these other schools arent so hype on OMG MBB IBD LALALASUCKSWALLOWYUM so there is less competition as well.


    BWAHAHAHAHA

    Get busy living

  • shorttheworld's picture

    actually for texas and tuck -- there are Tuckies go get into DFA now and then for IM since French is a professor there and they do place well for consulting in Dallas from what I've seen :) but other than that most likely not haha. But tuck is def more northerastern focused yes

  • Brady4MVP's picture

    Ugh. If I were actually interested in consulting or banking, i would definitely apply to stern, haas, anderson.

  • illiniPride's picture

    I'm drinking the orange kool aid after that victory over OSU.

    Why the fuck did I reply to this thread? I knew it was going to turn into a shit show.......

    Leadership can be defined in two words: "Follow Me"

  • ConanDBull's picture

    what part of UNIVERSITY OF PHEONIX do you not understand?

    "Know what to do, know how to do it, and do it hard." - Juan Castillo

    If you are in the Toronto Area join my group "Toronto Prospective Monkeys"
    http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/group/toronto-prosp...

  • In reply to ConanDBull
    cphbravo96's picture

    ConanDBull wrote:
    what part of UNIVERSITY OF PHEONIX do you not understand?

    Haha. That's the internet...so it's 'region' is everywhere!

    Regards

    "The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so."
    - Ronald Reagan

  • In reply to UFOinsider
    Sexy_Like_Enrique's picture

    UFOinsider wrote:
    Sexy_Like_Enrique wrote:
    One guy I know from my high school was about to attend MBA at a tier two state school, paying shit load of money. When I asked him if he thought that was a good investment idea or not, he replied: "where you go to school doesn't matter. what matters is your personal character and your effort." I've known too far many people who have this kind of mentality and willing to go attend some horseshit schools for MBA or law schools, paying insane amounts of money.

    Coming from a guy who went to a state school and busted his ass to find a job, speaking to a guy going to an ivy who made no effort: this is an absurd asessment. As long as we're not talking an MBA from bumfuck community college, a lot of those schools do just fine. For finance, yes, certain schools serve as recruiting pipelines so you want to go there.

    But as for your argument that the government should regulate what schools do what: that's a whole different topic and has been covered in many threads here.

    As for what school: top 20 for me. If I kill the GMAT, this becomes [hopefully] top ten. I have a shitty ugrad GPA that's going to be a weight around my neck, so I can't realistically think HBS/Standford but I'm still going to apply.

    What I have problem with is the fact that lower-ranked schools, including MBA, law schools, and what not, charge almost identical amount of tuition as Harvard or Stanford, and this is just wrong.

    If someone pays 70k to buy a Honda Civic, when that individual could buy a Porsche with that money, this is market failure and consumers are getting shit on. When Purdue MBA charges you 70k a year and Harvard/ Wharton tuition are the same, we know something is wrong with the system. I think both schools (MBA) and consumers (students who go to low ranked MBA) are both to blame, but it would be nice if it becomes ILLEGAL that a horseshit MBA school charges anything more than 30k a year for tuition, because their value doesn't justify their price tag.

  • In reply to Brady4MVP
    Sexy_Like_Enrique's picture

    Brady4MVP wrote:
    Given my age and career goals, it would not make sense for me to go below M7. I seriously considered applying to tuck, stern, and haas, but tuck's location in the middle of nowhere is a dealbreaker, and the latter two's weakness in buyside recruiting is a non-starter as well.

    For MBB and generic banking though, anything in the top 15 would work. It will be harder to get MBB from say darden as opposed to kellogg, but plenty have done it with hard work and some luck.

    So for banking and consulting placement, the hard cut-off seems to be top 15 MBA?

  • In reply to illiniPride
    Sexy_Like_Enrique's picture

    illiniPride wrote:
    Brady4MVP wrote:
    illiniPride wrote:
    I think my point is being misunderstood. I think all MBA degrees are overvalued so I would rather take a year off traveling than go almost anywhere. This is just my opinion and I had no intention of slighting those who go to schools outside of the top 7.

    An M7 MBA is definitely not overvalued. You should really do some more research on this.

    Overvalued to me. Not to everyone.

    All MBA's are over-valued and over-priced if we are strictly talking about the quality of education that these schools provide. My older bro went to HBS, and he told me he learned absolutely nothing of value except learning how to network. However, the value of top MBA comes from network, sick OCR, and the fact that you can have a break from work and get to fuck around and party hard with other fun, intelligent kids.

  • In reply to Sexy_Like_Enrique
    illiniPride's picture

    Sexy_Like_Enrique wrote:
    illiniPride wrote:
    Brady4MVP wrote:
    illiniPride wrote:
    I think my point is being misunderstood. I think all MBA degrees are overvalued so I would rather take a year off traveling than go almost anywhere. This is just my opinion and I had no intention of slighting those who go to schools outside of the top 7.

    An M7 MBA is definitely not overvalued. You should really do some more research on this.

    Overvalued to me. Not to everyone.

    All MBA's are over-valued and over-priced if we are strictly talking about the quality of education that these schools provide. My older bro went to HBS, and he told me he learned absolutely nothing of value except learning how to network. However, the value of top MBA comes from network, sick OCR, and the fact that you can have a break from work and get to fuck around and party hard with other fun, intelligent kids.

    I think you just made my point for me. Outside of the top 7 I would rather spend my dough traveling (unless I had an extremely specific reason for applying to another school).

    Leadership can be defined in two words: "Follow Me"

  • In reply to Sexy_Like_Enrique
    heister's picture

    Sexy_Like_Enrique wrote:
    UFOinsider wrote:
    Sexy_Like_Enrique wrote:
    One guy I know from my high school was about to attend MBA at a tier two state school, paying shit load of money. When I asked him if he thought that was a good investment idea or not, he replied: "where you go to school doesn't matter. what matters is your personal character and your effort." I've known too far many people who have this kind of mentality and willing to go attend some horseshit schools for MBA or law schools, paying insane amounts of money.

    Coming from a guy who went to a state school and busted his ass to find a job, speaking to a guy going to an ivy who made no effort: this is an absurd asessment. As long as we're not talking an MBA from bumfuck community college, a lot of those schools do just fine. For finance, yes, certain schools serve as recruiting pipelines so you want to go there.

    But as for your argument that the government should regulate what schools do what: that's a whole different topic and has been covered in many threads here.

    As for what school: top 20 for me. If I kill the GMAT, this becomes [hopefully] top ten. I have a shitty ugrad GPA that's going to be a weight around my neck, so I can't realistically think HBS/Standford but I'm still going to apply.

    What I have problem with is the fact that lower-ranked schools, including MBA, law schools, and what not, charge almost identical amount of tuition as Harvard or Stanford, and this is just wrong.

    If someone pays 70k to buy a Honda Civic, when that individual could buy a Porsche with that money, this is market failure and consumers are getting shit on. When Purdue MBA charges you 70k a year and Harvard/ Wharton tuition are the same, we know something is wrong with the system. I think both schools (MBA) and consumers (students who go to low ranked MBA) are both to blame, but it would be nice if it becomes ILLEGAL that a horseshit MBA school charges anything more than 30k a year for tuition, because their value doesn't justify their price tag.

    You are so full of shit, you have your head shoved so far up the prestige asshole that you don't see what a non top 20 mba offers. MBAs as you stated are almost exclusively networking tools. Granted that only a few MBA programs are designed for a national presence your "crappy MBAs should be illegal" rant is very shortsighted and makes you look like an elitest douchebag. This is coming from a guy who is considered by many on here to be very elitist.

    Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays

    Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

  • In reply to heister
    Sexy_Like_Enrique's picture

    heister wrote:
    Sexy_Like_Enrique wrote:
    UFOinsider wrote:
    Sexy_Like_Enrique wrote:
    One guy I know from my high school was about to attend MBA at a tier two state school, paying shit load of money. When I asked him if he thought that was a good investment idea or not, he replied: "where you go to school doesn't matter. what matters is your personal character and your effort." I've known too far many people who have this kind of mentality and willing to go attend some horseshit schools for MBA or law schools, paying insane amounts of money.

    Coming from a guy who went to a state school and busted his ass to find a job, speaking to a guy going to an ivy who made no effort: this is an absurd asessment. As long as we're not talking an MBA from bumfuck community college, a lot of those schools do just fine. For finance, yes, certain schools serve as recruiting pipelines so you want to go there.

    But as for your argument that the government should regulate what schools do what: that's a whole different topic and has been covered in many threads here.

    As for what school: top 20 for me. If I kill the GMAT, this becomes [hopefully] top ten. I have a shitty ugrad GPA that's going to be a weight around my neck, so I can't realistically think HBS/Standford but I'm still going to apply.

    What I have problem with is the fact that lower-ranked schools, including MBA, law schools, and what not, charge almost identical amount of tuition as Harvard or Stanford, and this is just wrong.

    If someone pays 70k to buy a Honda Civic, when that individual could buy a Porsche with that money, this is market failure and consumers are getting shit on. When Purdue MBA charges you 70k a year and Harvard/ Wharton tuition are the same, we know something is wrong with the system. I think both schools (MBA) and consumers (students who go to low ranked MBA) are both to blame, but it would be nice if it becomes ILLEGAL that a horseshit MBA school charges anything more than 30k a year for tuition, because their value doesn't justify their price tag.

    You are so full of shit, you have your head shoved so far up the prestige asshole that you don't see what a non top 20 mba offers. MBAs as you stated are almost exclusively networking tools. Granted that only a few MBA programs are designed for a national presence your "crappy MBAs should be illegal" rant is very shortsighted and makes you look like an elitest douchebag. This is coming from a guy who is considered by many on here to be very elitist.

    Are you retarded?? No. You must be the one full of shit and lacking intellect to argue otherwise.

    Seriously, if you pay 70k a year to attend some no-name MBA that doesn't get ANY recruiting from banks or consulting or whatnot, you are doing it wrong and wasting your money.

    I only care about prestige for career purposes, and rightfully so. The reason prestige matters at all is because IB and consulting firms only recruit from top 20 or so MBA schools.

    And, why the fuck is it wrong to argue that horseshit MBA schools should NOT charge as much tuition as Harvard or Wharton? Clearly, M7 MBA gives much better networking and top notch OCR to top employers, which are incredibly valuable and the only reason anyone should go to MBA. When low ranked schools don't offer these perks, they should NOT charge anything close to what M7 MBA schools charge for tuition.

    For example, you would be fucking retarded to argue that it is right for Honda to charge 70k for their Civic. This price is outrageous, considering the quality of the product. Yet, no one cares if Mercedes or Porsche charge 70k for their product, because their quality justifies their price tag. Same shit with MBA and other higher education, including law schools and even colleges.

  • In reply to heister
    Brady4MVP's picture

    heister wrote:
    Sexy_Like_Enrique wrote:
    UFOinsider wrote:
    Sexy_Like_Enrique wrote:
    One guy I know from my high school was about to attend MBA at a tier two state school, paying shit load of money. When I asked him if he thought that was a good investment idea or not, he replied: "where you go to school doesn't matter. what matters is your personal character and your effort." I've known too far many people who have this kind of mentality and willing to go attend some horseshit schools for MBA or law schools, paying insane amounts of money.

    Coming from a guy who went to a state school and busted his ass to find a job, speaking to a guy going to an ivy who made no effort: this is an absurd asessment. As long as we're not talking an MBA from bumfuck community college, a lot of those schools do just fine. For finance, yes, certain schools serve as recruiting pipelines so you want to go there.

    But as for your argument that the government should regulate what schools do what: that's a whole different topic and has been covered in many threads here.

    As for what school: top 20 for me. If I kill the GMAT, this becomes [hopefully] top ten. I have a shitty ugrad GPA that's going to be a weight around my neck, so I can't realistically think HBS/Standford but I'm still going to apply.

    What I have problem with is the fact that lower-ranked schools, including MBA, law schools, and what not, charge almost identical amount of tuition as Harvard or Stanford, and this is just wrong.

    If someone pays 70k to buy a Honda Civic, when that individual could buy a Porsche with that money, this is market failure and consumers are getting shit on. When Purdue MBA charges you 70k a year and Harvard/ Wharton tuition are the same, we know something is wrong with the system. I think both schools (MBA) and consumers (students who go to low ranked MBA) are both to blame, but it would be nice if it becomes ILLEGAL that a horseshit MBA school charges anything more than 30k a year for tuition, because their value doesn't justify their price tag.

    You are so full of shit, you have your head shoved so far up the prestige asshole that you don't see what a non top 20 mba offers. MBAs as you stated are almost exclusively networking tools. Granted that only a few MBA programs are designed for a national presence your "crappy MBAs should be illegal" rant is very shortsighted and makes you look like an elitest douchebag. This is coming from a guy who is considered by many on here to be very elitist.

    If you think a purdue MBA is worth the same as HBS/Wharton, then you are totally clueless.

  • In reply to Brady4MVP
    UFOinsider's picture

    Brady4MVP wrote:
    heister wrote:
    Sexy_Like_Enrique wrote:
    UFOinsider wrote:
    Sexy_Like_Enrique wrote:
    One guy I know from my high school was about to attend MBA at a tier two state school, paying shit load of money. When I asked him if he thought that was a good investment idea or not, he replied: "where you go to school doesn't matter. what matters is your personal character and your effort." I've known too far many people who have this kind of mentality and willing to go attend some horseshit schools for MBA or law schools, paying insane amounts of money.

    Coming from a guy who went to a state school and busted his ass to find a job, speaking to a guy going to an ivy who made no effort: this is an absurd asessment. As long as we're not talking an MBA from bumfuck community college, a lot of those schools do just fine. For finance, yes, certain schools serve as recruiting pipelines so you want to go there.

    But as for your argument that the government should regulate what schools do what: that's a whole different topic and has been covered in many threads here.

    As for what school: top 20 for me. If I kill the GMAT, this becomes [hopefully] top ten. I have a shitty ugrad GPA that's going to be a weight around my neck, so I can't realistically think HBS/Standford but I'm still going to apply.

    What I have problem with is the fact that lower-ranked schools, including MBA, law schools, and what not, charge almost identical amount of tuition as Harvard or Stanford, and this is just wrong.

    If someone pays 70k to buy a Honda Civic, when that individual could buy a Porsche with that money, this is market failure and consumers are getting shit on. When Purdue MBA charges you 70k a year and Harvard/ Wharton tuition are the same, we know something is wrong with the system. I think both schools (MBA) and consumers (students who go to low ranked MBA) are both to blame, but it would be nice if it becomes ILLEGAL that a horseshit MBA school charges anything more than 30k a year for tuition, because their value doesn't justify their price tag.

    You are so full of shit, you have your head shoved so far up the prestige asshole that you don't see what a non top 20 mba offers. MBAs as you stated are almost exclusively networking tools. Granted that only a few MBA programs are designed for a national presence your "crappy MBAs should be illegal" rant is very shortsighted and makes you look like an elitest douchebag. This is coming from a guy who is considered by many on here to be very elitist.

    If you think a purdue MBA is worth the same as HBS/Wharton, then you are totally clueless.


    I think what Enrique is saying is that anything outside of an ivy is worthless...

    Get busy living

  • In reply to Sexy_Like_Enrique
    Brady4MVP's picture

    Sexy_Like_Enrique wrote:
    Brady4MVP wrote:
    Given my age and career goals, it would not make sense for me to go below M7. I seriously considered applying to tuck, stern, and haas, but tuck's location in the middle of nowhere is a dealbreaker, and the latter two's weakness in buyside recruiting is a non-starter as well.

    For MBB and generic banking though, anything in the top 15 would work. It will be harder to get MBB from say darden as opposed to kellogg, but plenty have done it with hard work and some luck.

    So for banking and consulting placement, the hard cut-off seems to be top 15 MBA?

    For MBB and bulge bracket banks, it will be very tough outside of the top 15. Even at schools like darden/haas/fuqua, MBB doesn't take that many people, so the competition will be keen. I know if I were to go to one of those schools, I would be stressed out about recruiting because I would need to bust my ass off to get a good gig, and my social life would suffer. At the M7, I would still work hard, but due to the amazing OCR, i can relax a lot more and spend my time partying. In this sense, b-school is the total opposite of college. The better the school, the more fun you will have.

  • In reply to UFOinsider
    Sexy_Like_Enrique's picture

    UFOinsider wrote:
    Brady4MVP wrote:
    heister wrote:
    Sexy_Like_Enrique wrote:
    UFOinsider wrote:
    Sexy_Like_Enrique wrote:
    One guy I know from my high school was about to attend MBA at a tier two state school, paying shit load of money. When I asked him if he thought that was a good investment idea or not, he replied: "where you go to school doesn't matter. what matters is your personal character and your effort." I've known too far many people who have this kind of mentality and willing to go attend some horseshit schools for MBA or law schools, paying insane amounts of money.

    Coming from a guy who went to a state school and busted his ass to find a job, speaking to a guy going to an ivy who made no effort: this is an absurd asessment. As long as we're not talking an MBA from bumfuck community college, a lot of those schools do just fine. For finance, yes, certain schools serve as recruiting pipelines so you want to go there.

    But as for your argument that the government should regulate what schools do what: that's a whole different topic and has been covered in many threads here.

    As for what school: top 20 for me. If I kill the GMAT, this becomes [hopefully] top ten. I have a shitty ugrad GPA that's going to be a weight around my neck, so I can't realistically think HBS/Standford but I'm still going to apply.

    What I have problem with is the fact that lower-ranked schools, including MBA, law schools, and what not, charge almost identical amount of tuition as Harvard or Stanford, and this is just wrong.

    If someone pays 70k to buy a Honda Civic, when that individual could buy a Porsche with that money, this is market failure and consumers are getting shit on. When Purdue MBA charges you 70k a year and Harvard/ Wharton tuition are the same, we know something is wrong with the system. I think both schools (MBA) and consumers (students who go to low ranked MBA) are both to blame, but it would be nice if it becomes ILLEGAL that a horseshit MBA school charges anything more than 30k a year for tuition, because their value doesn't justify their price tag.

    You are so full of shit, you have your head shoved so far up the prestige asshole that you don't see what a non top 20 mba offers. MBAs as you stated are almost exclusively networking tools. Granted that only a few MBA programs are designed for a national presence your "crappy MBAs should be illegal" rant is very shortsighted and makes you look like an elitest douchebag. This is coming from a guy who is considered by many on here to be very elitist.

    If you think a purdue MBA is worth the same as HBS/Wharton, then you are totally clueless.


    I think what Enrique is saying is that anything outside of an ivy is worthless...

    No. What I am saying is low ranked MBA programs need to adjust their tuition level with their value of product. HBS/ Wharton and Purdue MBA aren't equal, yet they charge almost same tuition, which indicates market failure.

    Let's face it - the value of MBA comes from its OCR and its ability to place its students into desirable jobs. Not all MBA programs are equal in quality, hence their tuition level shouldn't be equal either.

  • shorttheworld's picture

    fuqua is a target for mckinsey :> and i think BCG is making them one as well. fuqua does very well in consulting for MBB, ross does decent...

    for banking anything top 16 is fine.. i really think its more 'top 8' and then a distinction between the top 16 with UT thrown in because UT crushes it in texas and gets really solid jobs and tuck gets all the MBB, IBD, and has a very strong PE program and has investment management-- not HFs

    if you want to do investment banking im kind of sure it doesnt matter if youre at HBS or if youre at Fuqua -- okay sure you might get more of an auto in but any of the top 15 you have a really solid chance at it -- i know guys from chicago who went to jefferies so its not like all BB go to the big top schools and then its only MM and jt marlin for non top 8

  • In reply to Brady4MVP
    Sexy_Like_Enrique's picture

    Brady4MVP wrote:
    Sexy_Like_Enrique wrote:
    Brady4MVP wrote:
    Given my age and career goals, it would not make sense for me to go below M7. I seriously considered applying to tuck, stern, and haas, but tuck's location in the middle of nowhere is a dealbreaker, and the latter two's weakness in buyside recruiting is a non-starter as well.

    For MBB and generic banking though, anything in the top 15 would work. It will be harder to get MBB from say darden as opposed to kellogg, but plenty have done it with hard work and some luck.

    So for banking and consulting placement, the hard cut-off seems to be top 15 MBA?

    For MBB and bulge bracket banks, it will be very tough outside of the top 15. Even at schools like darden/haas/fuqua, MBB doesn't take that many people, so the competition will be keen. I know if I were to go to one of those schools, I would be stressed out about recruiting because I would need to bust my ass off to get a good gig, and my social life would suffer. At the M7, I would still work hard, but due to the amazing OCR, i can relax a lot more and spend my time partying. In this sense, b-school is the total opposite of college. The better the school, the more fun you will have.

    I see... what other areas of finance besides banking do banks recruit MBA students for? I heard S&T doesn't recruit MBA students much at all. So, getting BB IBD gig from the likes of U Texas or UNC must be really tough...

  • illiniPride's picture

    Brady: When is the last time you've gone through life without stressing over the next step? Don't mean this as a dig, just curious.

    Enrique: The price is function of supply & demand just like everything else. Demand for B-School in general is high, supply at the elite institutions is low. Therefore demand at the other institutions is also high. They price the degrees where they do because people are willing to pay. I see no reason to regulate that.

    Leadership can be defined in two words: "Follow Me"

  • In reply to shorttheworld
    Brady4MVP's picture

    shorttheworld wrote:
    fuqua is a target for mckinsey :> and i think BCG is making them one as well. fuqua does very well in consulting for MBB, ross does decent...

    for banking anything top 16 is fine.. i really think its more 'top 8' and then a distinction between the top 16 with UT thrown in because UT crushes it in texas and gets really solid jobs and tuck gets all the MBB, IBD, and has a very strong PE program and has investment management-- not HFs

    if you want to do investment banking im kind of sure it doesnt matter if youre at HBS or if youre at Fuqua -- okay sure you might get more of an auto in but any of the top 15 you have a really solid chance at it -- i know guys from chicago who went to jefferies so its not like all BB go to the big top schools and then its only MM and jt marlin for non top 8

    By target, you mean MBB visits fuqua and does on-campus recruiting. But if i'm not mistaken they don't give out that many offers, so the competition will be a nightmare.

    Going from booth to jefferies would really fucking suck.

  • In reply to Sexy_Like_Enrique
    Brady4MVP's picture

    Sexy_Like_Enrique wrote:
    Brady4MVP wrote:
    Sexy_Like_Enrique wrote:
    Brady4MVP wrote:
    Given my age and career goals, it would not make sense for me to go below M7. I seriously considered applying to tuck, stern, and haas, but tuck's location in the middle of nowhere is a dealbreaker, and the latter two's weakness in buyside recruiting is a non-starter as well.

    For MBB and generic banking though, anything in the top 15 would work. It will be harder to get MBB from say darden as opposed to kellogg, but plenty have done it with hard work and some luck.

    So for banking and consulting placement, the hard cut-off seems to be top 15 MBA?

    For MBB and bulge bracket banks, it will be very tough outside of the top 15. Even at schools like darden/haas/fuqua, MBB doesn't take that many people, so the competition will be keen. I know if I were to go to one of those schools, I would be stressed out about recruiting because I would need to bust my ass off to get a good gig, and my social life would suffer. At the M7, I would still work hard, but due to the amazing OCR, i can relax a lot more and spend my time partying. In this sense, b-school is the total opposite of college. The better the school, the more fun you will have.

    I see... what other areas of finance besides banking do banks recruit MBA students for? I heard S&T doesn't recruit MBA students much at all. So, getting BB IBD gig from the likes of U Texas or UNC must be really tough...

    S&T trading at MBA programs have virtually dried up, with the exception of sales. But pure trading desks don't really hire mba's. They prefer promoting their analysts or phd's who can do quant research and programming. That's where the trend is heading.

    Yes, getting BB IBD from a place like UT or UNC will be VERY tough. You would have to bust your ass off, network like your life literally depended on it, and get lucky with regards to the job market. This is why i think non-M7 schools are not as nearly as fun.

Pages