Master of Real Estate Applications Fall 2015

What's up, WSO? It's been a while. I wanted to start a thread for people who have applied to or are applying to MSRE/MRED programs for this upcoming fall to try and get a bit of a community going if there are enough of us on here.

I applied to:

Johns Hopkins MSREI
Georgetown MPSRE
Clemson MRED
Maryland MRED

and also, UNC Kenan-Flagler's MBA program as a reach because of their fantastic Real Estate concentration.

If you would, post where you applied, what your thoughts are, any questions you may have, and then when acceptance letters go out we can reconvene.

Thanks!

Brandeis IBS has a masters in finance program with a great real estate specialization. I have heard the head of the real estate program is great and has connections everywhere. I had a friend do the program.

Brandeis IBS has a masters in finance program with a great real estate specialization. I have heard the head of the real estate program is great and has connections everywhere. I had a friend do the program.

evilmindbulgaria:

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any info on University of Miami's MREDU program? Came across the program a while ago, curious to hear anything about it.

Miami is strong is real estate for South Florida and has a strong alumni base. No idea about the actual program though.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

I spoke with some guys in Miami last time I was down there. They said the guys in their office who got the degree didn't see it add much value, and was more of a credential... quite the opposite from people's experiences I know (Georgetown, NYU, Hopkins)... but that was only a couple people's opinion. The team worked in lending.

Looking to apply to the same schools in 2016 (don't want to go up north)

I've known JHU to be a great program for the DC/Baltimore market. However, some of the graduates I've spoken to mentioned that they should have done the program part-time...>50% of the full-time students were international and did not stay afterwards. Otherwise, great alumni network, coursework and fantastic professors.

I've heard Georgetown fits well for part-time students..cheaper and classes are in the evening.

Any feedback on Clemson and/or UMD?

Has anyone done the Boston University Real Estate Certificate? I've been thinking about taking a few classes there to learn more about real estate and to jazz up my resume a little bit. I would probably take a basic real estate investment/finance class and an Argus cash flow modelling course.

What's up, REvest?

I ended up getting into JHU with $, Georgetown without $, and Clemson without $ (but Clemson doesn't give $ until year 2 anyhow).

I did not get into Maryland outright, which is amusing as it was both my least favorite choice and the newer/less established program of the four. Add to that a very...odd tempered admissions staff...and I'm not too cut up about it.

Two years in DC without $ was never a desire for me, and I didn't want to go part time, so I ruled Georgetown out even though one of my best friends had a lot of success there. I struggled for a long time with a cheap two years at Clemson or a very expensive (even with $) one year at Hopkins and ended up picking Clemson over Hopkins just based on feel. The Hopkins people were very nice and very professional but the Clemson people treated me like a king and the program really aligns well with how I want to spend my time in graduate school and where I want to work when I graduate.

I think that if I did not have any experience and wanted to work in a bigger city at more of a name brand company, I would have picked Hopkins. Luckily, I already have a solid network, don't want to work in DC at all, and always enjoy smaller, more agile companies over corporate monstrosities. Clemson will allow me to have internships during the year and the summer with a hilariously low cost of living. I'm pretty pumped for fall.

Thanks for the feedback, CRE. Congrats on Clemson.

That's what I had in mind. I work in PE real estate and want a more comprehensive real estate education. Clemson seems well rounded. After working in Philadelphia and being from the D.C. area, I'm definitely interested in heading down south.

Just curious, where are you looking to play long-term? It seems like if you were to build your network around Clemson, you would have options in Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, etc. Also, what area of CRE are you looking to work in afterwards (acquisitions, development, finance, Asset Management, etc.)?

REvest:

Just curious, where are you looking to play long-term? It seems like if you were to build your network around Clemson, you would have options in Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, etc. Also, what area of CRE are you looking to work in afterwards (acquisitions, development, finance, Asset Management, etc.)?

I want to be able to do deals throughout the southeast wherever I am, but I have no interest in living in Atlanta or Louisville. I'm in Nashville now and would love to come back, but it's not a necessity. Never lived in North Carolina so I can't comment, but from the "sound" of it I doubt I would mind it much.

I was pretty set on doing development until this summer. I've been interning (paid thankfully) at a value-add REPE shop and it's a cool business model. I'm planning on interning at some different places and then picking, to be honest.

Best Response
jon1987:

Any thoughts on Texas A&M's program?

A&M is actually interesting because they have a Masters of Real Estate degree in their business school and also a Master of Land & Property Development in their Architecture and Urban Planning school. The MRE is more finance-focused and the MLPD is more development focused. As probably predicted, there is a lot of crossover between classes, and a MRE/MLPD dual degree is also offered, presumably able to be completed in two years' time since both programs are individually just longer than a year in length. Their placement is high, and I suppose it's cool for resume purposes to come out with two masters degrees while I will have only one, even though our time in school and general course offerings will be identical. Also cool though if you know you want to be in real estate but don't have as much interest in development, or vice versa, that you can get out in a year/year and a half.

Eum veniam minus harum aperiam hic suscipit. Est ut rem quia possimus asperiores non optio. Voluptates dolores nemo et expedita repellendus ipsam repudiandae blanditiis.

Est quod ad assumenda tempore perspiciatis exercitationem. Iste provident laborum deserunt quia repellendus blanditiis repellat.

Voluptatem qui voluptas enim. Nesciunt repellat illum commodi.

Ut molestiae a voluptas ut aut neque est ducimus. Nihil est magni labore et. Molestias deserunt consequatur id incidunt corporis quaerat ducimus. Harum voluptatum voluptas modi laborum maxime nesciunt.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”