Master of Real Estate & RE MBA Applications Fall 2016

I know CRE started a thread early last year for fellow applicants to MSRE/D programs for the fall summer/fall of 2015. I’d like to get the same thread going for this year’s applicants for summer/fall 2016 to exchange decision dates and overall thoughts on programs. However, I’m also applying to MBA programs with real estate concentrations, so anyone going down the MBA route with a real estate concentration please feel free to contribute as well.

Applications I have submitted or will be submitting:

Cornell MPSRE
Columbia MSRED
USC MRED
NYU MSRE
Johns Hopkins MSREI
Georgetown MPSRE
UNC Kenan-Flagler MBA - Real Estate Concentration
Wisconsin MBA in Real Estate
Miami Accelerated MBA in Real Estate

Please post where you have applied, any thoughts or questions about particular programs, etc. Then when decisions or interview invites come in, let the rest of us know.

Thanks and good luck to all!

BTW - CRE, if you’re reading this, let us know your thoughts on your first semester at Clemson MRED.

Interlude12:

How are these programs for real estate ibd?

Unfortunately, I can't give you the best answer to this as I haven't gone through any of the programs yet. However, through my research (which was a lot) the common theme seemed to be that a strict MSRE/D will not place you in IB. Is it possible…sure, but you most likely would need to have experience already. If that's the case then why would you be interested in the MSRE/D? Most people exploring the MSRE/D programs are not looking to get into real estate IBD.

The MBA/MPSRE dual degree from Cornell is certainely worth looking into and would give you the best chance out of any of the programs I mentioned of landing you in real estate IBD.

Just my two cents...

Best Response

If I could give one piece of advice on applying to MSRE programs, it would be to focus on the essays. Admissions people care a lot about your fit and desire to work in real estate. I know the essays played a big part in me getting accepted to Texas A&M's program for the spring.

"There are only two opinions in this world: Mine and the wrong one." -Jeremy Clarkson

jon1987:

If I could give one piece of advice on applying to MSRE programs, it would be to focus on the essays. Admissions people care a lot about your fit and desire to work in realm estate. I know the essays played a big part in me getting accepted to Texas A&M's program for the spring.

Do you live in Texas? I did not consider this program, as I'm not interested in living in that region, but the program itself looks really solid. In-state tuition with that program looks like a great deal!

CRE Sparky:
jon1987:
If I could give one piece of advice on applying to MSRE programs, it would be to focus on the essays. Admissions people care a lot about your fit and desire to work in realm estate. I know the essays played a big part in me getting accepted to Texas A&M's program for the spring.

Do you live in Texas? I did not consider this program, as I'm not interested in living in that region, but the program itself looks really solid. In-state tuition with that program looks like a great deal!

I'm OOS. But even with that, it's still a very fairly priced program. Tuition for the spring (excluding one-time program fees) was 8k for OOS. From what I can see, A&M has no issue placing outside of the Texas market, but many students have no desire to leave Texas so employment reports reflect this.

"There are only two opinions in this world: Mine and the wrong one." -Jeremy Clarkson

jon1987:

If I could give one piece of advice on applying to MSRE programs, it would be to focus on the essays. Admissions people care a lot about your fit and desire to work in real estate. I know the essays played a big part in me getting accepted to Texas A&M's program for the spring.

This is a big one. These programs care far more about your story and your potential than they do about your grades and your GRE/GMAT.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Hugoistique:

Great Thread, was wondering how you guys thinnk an MPS/MBA 3 year Dual Degree from Cornell compares to MIT MSRED or even Top 15 MBA with Real Estate Concentration such as Kellogg/NYU/UCLA 2 year MBA? In regards to job oppurtunities, networking, knowledge and overall class calibre.

MPS/MBA dual degree from Cornell definitely over MIT MSRED.

Not sure regarding the other programs…

Interlude12:

Kinda silly question, CRE, but is MSRE(d) a post experience program?

From what I've seen USC, Cornell, and MIT all prefer if not require it, but others such as A&M, Clemson, Florida, etc can be applied to right out of school. I have some WE in construction estimating and general management, but nothing prestigious like REPE or IBD.

Interlude12:

Kinda silly question, CRE, but is MSRE(d) a post experience program?

Yes and no. Some like MIT require experience. Others do not, or only require very minimal experience. That being said, it is clear in the program who has experience and who doesn't. Your internship and career opportunities, for instance, are worlds apart.

Excellent thread, CRE Sparky . You might have already got more responses than I got last year.

For everyone here, I applied to the following programs:

1. Johns Hopkins MSREI
  2. Georgetown MPSRE
  3. Clemson MRED
  4. Maryland MRED
  5. UNC MBA

I was accepted with a scholarship to Johns Hopkins, was accepted to Georgetown and Clemson, was tentatively accepted with requirements to Maryland (which I found hilarious, since it is the "worst" or at least the least established of the schools I applied to), and withdrew from UNC. (My own fault - I applied last minute and wouldn't have heard back from them in time)

I'm happy to talk about Clemson (especially since they are making MAJOR changes for this upcoming year), Georgetown (one of my best friends is a graduate) or Johns Hopkins (was very close to attending).

CRE:

Excellent thread, @CRE Sparky . You might have already got more responses than I got last year.

For everyone here, I applied to the following programs:

1. Johns Hopkins MSREI
2. Georgetown MPSRE
3. Clemson MRED
4. Maryland MRED
5. UNC MBA

I was accepted with a scholarship to Johns Hopkins, was accepted to Georgetown and Clemson, was tentatively accepted with requirements to Maryland (which I found hilarious, since it is the "worst" or at least the least established of the schools I applied to), and withdrew from UNC. (My own fault - I applied last minute and wouldn't have heard back from them in time)

I'm happy to talk about Clemson (especially since they are making MAJOR changes for this upcoming year), Georgetown (one of my best friends is a graduate) or Johns Hopkins (was very close to attending).

Thanks CRE. Wanted to get another discussion going for this year's applicants.

Nah, IBD is its own beast. A RE concentration will give you better knowledge of the sector and will "show your interest" in the market, but IBD recruiting is IBD recruiting regardless of what division you want to be in, more or less.

VTB89:

Would you need a program with a RE concentration for RE IBD recruitment from a top15 MBA? I.e. Duke/Ross etc without RE focuses, can you still aim for RE IBD or will programs with known RE concentrations dominate recruiting for RE groups?

CRE nailed this on the head. You don't need the RE concentration from top 15 MBA or top 15-25 most likely for that matter for RE IBD recruitment.

Oh, and for everyone here, know why you're applying to MRED/MSRE programs instead of MBA programs. Have legitimate reasons. Practice reciting those reasons. I haven't found it to be a major impediment but for the love of god it will come up constantly.

In every single internship interview I've been in, I've had to explain my program, explain why I didn't go to Top Regional MBA Program, and explain the advantages of hiring me...all to a guy who inevitably has an undergraduate degree or a MBA from said Top Regional MBA Program. I feel a lot of times like I'm seen as a strange oddity, or a "how did you even rise to this level without Top Regional MBA Program pedigree?!?" I cover this up with a mixture of football smacktalk, data, and bullshit, but it's a real talking point.

Don't go to a MRED/MSRE program because you personally can't yet get into a MBA program. That will be sniffed out immediately. Go because you know exactly what you want to do and your program of choice enables that perfectly. Conviction and rational thinking is respected far more than settling and following the path of least (or at least less) resistance.

Hello Guys,

I am looking at applying to NYU Schack MSRE for the Fall looking to get in to Acquisitions/Dispositions, I was wondering what backgrounds they look for? And is the acceptance rate that high?

I graduated UG in May with a 3.164 GPA and have just recently left a FT Risk Assurance gig at a Big 4 accounting firm to pursue Commercial Real Estate. my other work experience is in Market Research internship with a large book publisher, a summer analyst gig at a start up PE shop, and a project management internship with a big 3 PE shop (Think Bain Cap, Blackstone, KKR). Would this background be sufficient to apply without GMAT or should I look to get a 650+ on GMAT and apply for spring 2017. I am also sitting for CFA L1 in June.

Best Regards

John Black:

Hello Guys,

I am looking at applying to NYU Schack MSRE for the Fall looking to get in to Acquisitions/Dispositions, I was wondering what backgrounds they look for? And is the acceptance rate that high?

I graduated UG in May with a 3.164 GPA and have just recently left a FT Risk Assurance gig at a Big 4 accounting firm to pursue Commercial Real Estate. my other work experience is in Market Research internship with a large book publisher, a summer analyst gig at a start up PE shop, and a project management internship with a big 3 PE shop (Think Bain Cap, Blackstone, KKR). Would this background be sufficient to apply without GMAT or should I look to get a 650+ on GMAT and apply for spring 2017. I am also sitting for CFA L1 in June.

Best Regards

Why did you leave your job with less than a year of experience? If I were you I would have stayed in that job and gotten some tuition reimbursement while attending NYU Schack part-time (assuming you’re in the NYC). I can’t speak from experience, but from what I’ve gathered on the program you can probably apply without a GMAT and have a shot. If you know you want to do it then just apply and see what happens.

WestCoastMonkey425:

Hi all,

Currently, I have been accepted to McCombs and wailisted at Ross for Fall 2016. I am putting down my deposit for McCombs, but on the chance I am accepted into Ross during the next round I am looking for some advice. Their website said those accepted off the waitlist have 48 hours to decide (which seems ridiculous), so I want to have my decision made before that day comes.

Goal
Currently at small RE development/investment firm after 3 years in BIg4 audit. Would like to move into larger REIT/REPE firm after graduation. Location not as important, as long as I'm out of California

McCombs Pros
Specific RE Finance program with experiential RE fund
Strong, passionate alumni base
City of Austin > Ann Arbor
Not cold as fuck

Ross Pros
Ranked higher than McCombs (11 vs. 18)
More national alumni reach (not as regionally focused as UT)
Recruits more to Chicago (preferred post-graduation city)
Strong finance curriculum
Harbaugh

Basically, my question is would a higher overall ranked school be more beneficial than having my specific program? Anyone else have this dilemma, RE related or otherwise?

Thanks for any advice.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, as I don’t have any experience with either of these programs. I love the UT program for RE Finance and if it was me personally, I would go the UT route given that I would want to be entrenched in RE. Ross will probably get you to Chicago easier. Ultimately, if you really want to get to a certain city I think you can make it happen with either program. Obviously one will make it easier than the other. Decide how important it is for you to be in that certain city rather than surrounding yourself with the tools and network that will help you succeed in the career you want to be in. Also, have you visited both programs? This could also be a deciding factor if you "fit" in better at one over the other.

What are your thoughts on the MS programs Texas A&M vs NYU?

I've been looking at TAMU mainly because of the relatively low tuition and when I research alumni profiles on LinkedIn, I see many in NYC. The curriculum looks fairly identical to NYU but the placement stats for TAMU look spectacular - they're advertising 100%: http://mays.tamu.edu/master-of-real-estate/

I'm currently in NJ, right next to NYC, and I want to stay in the area and wondering which of these would be better for me. I've lived in Austin for about a year but I definitely want to continue living in Greater NYC because I like the weather and urban environment here.

I've read the other threads which say to choose a program near where you want to work but TAMU's placement (or at least, alumni profiles on LinkedIn) doesn't really reflect this.

Could you go to A&M and then get a job in NYC? Sure. Is it the path of lease resistance? No, not at all.

Why would you want to miss out on the networking opportunities, the internship opportunities, and getting to know the NYC market better?

SamSung:

What are your thoughts on the MS programs Texas A&M vs NYU?

I've been looking at TAMU mainly because of the relatively low tuition and when I research alumni profiles on LinkedIn, I see many in NYC. The curriculum looks fairly identical to NYU but the placement stats for TAMU look spectacular - they're advertising 100%:
http://mays.tamu.edu/master-of-real-estate/

I'm currently in NJ, right next to NYC, and I want to stay in the area and wondering which of these would be better for me. I've lived in Austin for about a year but I definitely want to continue living in Greater NYC because I like the weather and urban environment here.

I've read the other threads which say to choose a program near where you want to work but TAMU's placement (or at least, alumni profiles on LinkedIn) doesn't really reflect this.

Texas A&M and NYU are two completely different animals. I really like the T A&M program, but if you want to stay in NYC area this is a no brainer. Go to NYU.

Anyone heard anything pertaining to U of Colorado Boulders MSRE? It's a new program they began in 2015. I know they have had the mba with re concentration for some time, but I am a bit unsure what to make of the new MS. I have been accepted at CU with a fellowship and Clemson without (they don't offer anyways) .. My 3 years prior work experience took place in the southeast but I am not set on living here forever

Totam dolorum iusto consequatur dolores magnam et. Quia molestiae suscipit et praesentium. Molestiae non odio recusandae vel consequatur tenetur nobis doloribus.

Voluptas vel error delectus. Perspiciatis quam neque et soluta harum sint. Molestiae necessitatibus minima et autem rerum. Sit vel dolorem eum consequuntur asperiores. Quod rerum nemo ea ea labore illum. Molestiae laudantium illo et dolor est consequatur est. Animi repellendus odit omnis expedita repudiandae reiciendis sed.

Nihil omnis magni qui eum et asperiores. Illo autem nostrum saepe architecto eligendi quo molestiae.

Doloremque consectetur provident illo a sunt quia. Omnis rerum labore velit. Commodi ratione minus fuga. Quos similique provident consequatur impedit enim id.

Esse aut reprehenderit est non. Ipsa officiis sunt iure rerum sed deleniti iure molestias. A iusto in esse ut non autem esse eum. Et impedit aut iste occaecati facilis quis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”