Mastering the 100-hour work week - for females

When I have 100-hr work weeks, I have one thing in mind: maximizing sleep. I've had lots of busy weeks like this, unfortunately, and I've perfected a routine that helps gets me through. From the outside, it appears as through I've had a full night of sleep and ample time to get ready.

My morning routine is 20 minutes from bed to door:
-Wash face/brush teeth
-Run wet fingers through hair, then comb through with mousse into ponytail (mousse makes hair look wet/freshly washed all day)
-Pearl necklace, watch, diamond stud earrings
-Foundation and concealer - fresh, perfect skin is an absolute MUST if you want to look like you're able to handle your work hours with no problem
-Brooks Brothers non-iron dress shirt tucked in to black slacks or skirt
-Grab my food (pre-prepared meals from the weekend), phone, wallet, and out the door

I look exactly the same every day--I consistently wear a smooth, fitted dress shirt with nice jewelry, neat hair and clean skin. Looks like I actually had time to get ready.

On the subway I read the main headlines of the paper and eat my breakfast (something easy like a bagel or piece of toast).

Works out well--I arrive on time every day with a full belly, looking and feeling tidy, and informed of the day's headlines. And even though I'm dying for a nap on the inside, I appear a lot more prepared and ready to work than my peers.

metrovestments:
My morning routine is 20 minutes from bed to door: -Wash face/brush teeth -Run wet fingers through hair, then comb through with mousse into ponytail (mousse makes hair look wet/freshly washed all day) -Pearl necklace, watch, diamond stud earrings -Foundation and concealer - fresh, perfect skin is an absolute MUST if you want to look like you're able to handle your work hours with no problem -Brooks Brothers non-iron dress shirt tucked in to black slacks or skirt

No shower?

I'm not a girl and I don't work in VC, but I also swear by night showers and pre-prepared meals. Night showers are way better in my book because you go to bed clean every night .. who wants to sleep in their own ick all the time .. and you're way quicker in the shower when you're tired knowing that it's the last thing between you and some hard-earned sleep. I'm also surprised at how many people are absolutely clueless when it comes to cooking. It's a lifesaver. It'll save you more time in the end knowing you can just grab something out of the fridge when you're rushing in the morning and can eliminate the wait in line wherever you'd stop otherwise.

I am permanently behind on PMs, it's not personal.

Vontropnats:
Night showers seem clutch but you just don't feel clean and alert the next day, at least in my experience. I love morning showers.

I do both. Actually wash myself at night and in the morning just stand there until I wake up

t_banker:
20 minutes for a girl seems pretty rare, but good for you. Don't you wear other makeup, or style your hair (down)?

I love to wear other makeup and style my hair, but not when I work this many hours!

exceptionruled:
Why are you working 100-hour weeks in VC anyway? I thought that's for the bankers not the buyside.

My 100-hour weeks are never straight VC work--it is a combination of office time and being active in the local startup scene. That means visiting incubators, going to every startup event I can possibly make it to, watching speakers and panels, etc.

I sweat too much over night that a morning shower is necessary, plus I'd be a zombie, if I could skip it. My wife showers at night sometimes, but it'd never work for me. That said, I can get'ER done all-in in 10 min...shower, teeth, gel, no shave...

Takes me about 35-40 minutes to get out the door, that includes a bowl of cereal (with sportscenter of course), making bed, brushing teeth, shower, and dress. I never shave in the morning, always @ night after the gym.

Wouldn't be possible to not shower in the morning. I would feel grimy all day, plus my hair would get quite greasy.

Night showers aren't for everyone. Obviously if you sweat during your sleep you're going to need one in the morning, but if you hit the gym at night after work, you're already going to be taking one before sleep. Maybe I'm one of the lucky few who just don't need one in the morning, but on the point of needing it to wake up, I'm the opposite. If I take a morning shower, I'm half as efficient because I'm still drowsy. I'm under 10 minutes when I know it's the last thing standing between me and a decent night's rest. When I'm groggy in the morning, I can easily spend 20 in there before even knowing what's good.

I am permanently behind on PMs, it's not personal.

metrovestments:
-Run wet fingers through hair, then comb through with mousse into ponytail (mousse makes hair look wet/freshly washed all day)

You're not fooling anyone - hair that looks like it's wet all day long does not look "fresh" unless it's very short. And it's unprofessional. Why not wash it in the evening or use dry shampoo every now and then?

People may be surprised to know some VC people work decent hours also. My usual day is 12 hours at the office. Then I usually do work at home. Don't work weekends too often but keeping up on the local VC and startup scene can take up time. For example - I have a 2 hour conference tonight after work and i'm going to a 9am-5pm conference on Saturday. Also, due diligence trips can tire you out. For example, one of my team members flew to Nashville yesterday, in office today, Atlanta tomorrow, back in office Friday.

My MD's are here from 8:30 - 5/7, usually forward me e-mails from new contacts to research that night while they're home with the family. Also, I'm tasked with having an initial sourcing call with 160-200 new companies a year - that takes a lot of time.

"If you want to succeed in this life, you need to understand that duty comes before rights and that responsibility precedes opportunity."

TheBigBambino:
Also, due diligence trips can tire you out. For example, one of my team members flew to Nashville yesterday, in office today, Atlanta tomorrow, back in office Friday. .

This just seems inefficient. Why not just spend the next day in ATL working remotely?

MM IB -> Corporate Development -> Strategic Finance

Atque rem qui tempore id harum tempore illum. Consequatur at placeat beatae autem. Placeat necessitatibus iusto fugiat incidunt consequatur quod. Provident rerum quia et expedita est at eos quisquam. Voluptas rerum sed consequatur molestiae dolorem maiores aliquam. Nostrum et accusamus dolore et magnam nesciunt voluptates.

if you like it then you shoulda put a banana on it

Et error ut sunt culpa laborum. Dolorum animi quas suscipit dolor enim illo aliquam et. Minima autem magnam earum nihil. Ex quo quia ut vero eligendi inventore. Aliquid at maxime dolorem quae. Modi et voluptas sit sequi delectus. Ipsum ut inventore nulla nulla vero repellendus.

Officiis numquam unde quaerat sunt. Tempora est animi enim esse officia voluptates.

Quia ut dolores earum. Fugit doloremque voluptas animi voluptas ipsum. Accusantium rerum excepturi ut optio aut blanditiis.

Animi aut culpa et molestias. Officiis quos itaque unde quibusdam. Vitae aliquam doloribus facere id consequatur perferendis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”