Masters in Accounting at age 24/25; Does it impact your hire ability with Big 4?

Lets say that I was able to have a successful business venture or do tech sales for 3/4 years post graduation. Then go back to get a MS in Accounting. Would being older be a disadvantage for Big 4 hiring or might it even be a plus since you have more verifiable and actionable experience.

I guess I'm asking is are the Audit hiring classes in the Big 4 normally all 22/23 year olds or do less traditional people trickle in?

Take what I say with a grain of salt, as I am a graduate of a B-School that typically spits out Big 4 employees which may skew my experience.

From what I've seen, and from what many friends who now work at the Big 4 experienced, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference for age brackets. I've had colleagues who were fresh out of an undergrad-masters expedited program who managed to cruise through the hiring process. I've also known people who had just earned their Masters in Accounting in their late 20s who managed to do the same thing.

Bottom line - if you have a solid Masters program under your belt and a helpful career center/network, you should be fine regardless of age.

Thanks! I've been completely considering the idea of doing tech sales for a couple years (since the pay is roughly $100K/yr) to save up, pay off other loans then launch into something more analytical and financial related. Thanks for the advice! :)

"It is better to have a friendship based on business, than a business based on friendship." - Rockefeller. "Live fast, die hard. Leave a good looking body." - Navy SEAL

Best Response

Just a consideration for you, assuming you're successful in tech sales (zero insight into this field) and are regularly hitting that $100k/yr number, I'm not so sure I'd switch to public accounting, especially as a new Associate. You'd essentially be cutting your pay roughly in half (low to mid 50's for a new Associate) for a position that you may or may not actually enjoy. Sure, you'll learn a lot about accounting, but you'll learn a lot more about your firm's respective approach to auditing and accounting guidance/codification. There are definitely more "analytical" positions out there if that's what you're going for. The higher up in public you get, the more it becomes about project management (manage the audit, manage the budget, manage the client, manage the partner) and putting out fires, at least in my experience. Can't say this will be the same for you should you go that route, but just something to think about.

Someone explained that to me, exactly how you did: it becomes more project management. But I actually enjoy that type of role. I'm considering somewhere between public accounting (I did honestly enjoy my 4 accounting courses) and sales operations (analytical/data driven). Money isn't a huge issue, I'm a very big minimalist so it doesn't really hurt me too much if I have to take a pay cut to pursue something interesting.

"It is better to have a friendship based on business, than a business based on friendship." - Rockefeller. "Live fast, die hard. Leave a good looking body." - Navy SEAL

I have a similiar question. I am in my junior year undergrad. I am in a 150hr program in which illgraduation with my BBA and MSA. I really Wish to commission in the navy as an officer upon graduation, but I’m curious how this Will affect my career path. I would be able to get my MBA while serving at no cost to me, and I certainly wpuld do this. My question is how marketable will I be If I have Obtained my CPA, BBA, MBA, and MSA as well as served a tour as a Navy Officer. My school does not have a strong presence of Big four presence currently. Deloitte recruits heavily, but as far as the rest they are hardly here. I hwve Internship opportunities this upcoming tax season with a few local medium sized firms, but I reqlly Wish to go big four. I was Also wondering if I do do navy, and get my MBA when I finish Service how hard will it be to get a big four job and what would be my starting salary in south east Michigan the starting salary for a staff tax or audit accountant is 57,000. I would Be around 29 when searching for a big four Job and would really like to have a 25-30% salary hike from there. Last but not least, I’d really like to leave the service and work in consulting either with pwc or EY, any advice on how my path would impact my marketability for those roles?

Quo ea doloremque sed. Soluta ex repellat quod consequatur eum. Enim dignissimos ut quasi recusandae. Id autem enim cum vel fugit excepturi.

Quibusdam ut perspiciatis in quia quo. Est sunt beatae aut voluptates. Magnam impedit harum eum esse ut et. Qui iure rerum ea quis.

Occaecati explicabo molestiae alias eius quis et non. Aut expedita deserunt officiis qui. Expedita optio rerum qui.

Deserunt nesciunt et nemo nostrum sit quas asperiores. Distinctio harum neque iusto assumenda. Sit quae quo dolor necessitatibus ex autem. Sint quo sint in repellat neque et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”