Christopher-Davidson:

I applied to around 20 internships last semester and haven't heard back from anyone. FML

What school do you go to? I got 7-8 first rounds interviews for every 10 applications I submitted, and I'm definitely not a rock star. Did you have your schools CMC/student clubs review your resume? You should be more successful than this, even from non-top ranked school.

For Banking, when applying through career services at a MBA business schools ">M7 school - Do you have to go the traditional online application route or does career services sort everything out in terms of getting you interviews with the Banks?

Trust me -- we have plenty of time in b-school. Just very little of it can we recollect where it went though.

"They are all former investment bankers that were laid off in the economic collapse that Nancy Pelosi caused. They have no marketable skills, but by God they work hard."

Trust me -- we have plenty of time in b-school. Just very little of it can we recollect where it went though.

"They are all former investment bankers that were laid off in the economic collapse that Nancy Pelosi caused. They have no marketable skills, but by God they work hard."

OpsDude:

MBB interviews are such a blackbox. One of them I thought I completely messed up, but got 2nd round. Another one I thought I absolutely crushed the case, and didn't get a 2nd round.

LOL exactly my experience. One MBB first round I had, I was sure I screwed it up, then I got invited to the second round. Another MBB first round, I thought I did flawless, only to get a rejection call. It is really a blackbox.

thecm:

Did anyone interview with both MBB and IB?

I did. I got lots of first round interviews from both consulting and IB, but my conversion rate from first rounds to second rounds were very low. I now have one IB superday result that I am waiting to hear back about, and another consulting second round next week. Hoping one of these materializes.

In hindsight, going for both IB and consulting was not a good idea. Both require lots of networking / prep time, and it would have been wiser to focus on just one.

CF1988:

What's a typical summer internship path for those who miss out on MC spots?

If things don't work out for my internship, I am planning on doing the consulting FT recruiting later this year.

I am applying to BB in London and HK. Many people in my school already received offers from BB in HK and I just finished my final round in several banks. Interviews with London banks are still going on.

Got an offer at my 3rd/4th choice consulting firm, just had final round at my first choice. Final interview of the year. Made stupid fatigue related careless mistakes, but hope I made it through. At the very least, glad to have a summer MC internship in the city of my choice, and, more importantly, to finally be done with the 3 months of hell that is internship recruiting.

MBA8717:

Just out of curiosity - if you are not successful during summer internship recruiting with firms, is there virtually no chance come 2nd year full time recruiting? Taking consulting as an example, if you were unsuccessful with say BCG applications in the summer would that rule out BCG full time recruiting in the following year?

I'm a second year and I can unequivocally say that this is NOT the case. Many of my classmates who didn't land internships with the firms ended up with full-time offers.

kingfalcon:
MBA8717:

Just out of curiosity - if you are not successful during summer internship recruiting with firms, is there virtually no chance come 2nd year full time recruiting? Taking consulting as an example, if you were unsuccessful with say BCG applications in the summer would that rule out BCG full time recruiting in the following year?

I'm a second year and I can unequivocally say that this is NOT the case. Many of my classmates who didn't land internships with the firms ended up with full-time offers.

kingfalcon:
MBA8717:

Best Response
CF1988:
kingfalcon:
MBA8717:

Most people are going for corp strat//fin or leadership development programs/general management.

I saw people go a lot of different ways, but the most important thing is to rock that internship and get the offer. You'll be in a strong position (stress free and validation from another employer) when you take another bite at the apple next fall.

I'd suggest an internship in an industry that you enjoy (duh), but for the reason that you can demonstrate an interest for the consulting firms you apply to. They always ask you what you're interested in, even though we all know that we're not going to really have a choice what industries we will work on in the beginning.

Ut iste qui laborum. Et et facere impedit quibusdam molestiae perspiciatis. Rerum et minus modi et.

Soluta est facilis dolor. Dolorum nemo cumque eum. Cum rerum et nemo natus ipsa provident.

Eum quia rem nostrum praesentium praesentium. Dignissimos dignissimos eum aut ab qui impedit vel. Aut possimus veritatis non. Officia rerum amet quidem animi molestiae dolorem quidem. Officia qui tenetur quia velit reiciendis harum aut.

Beatae dolor beatae aut sunt voluptatem. Ut rerum iusto suscipit doloremque dignissimos. Laborum et omnis ea suscipit soluta. Perspiciatis dolorem ut minima qui qui. Nisi et qui dolorum et consectetur minima vel. Amet in laudantium delectus deleniti et consequatur.

Et nesciunt qui vel et et molestias. Assumenda cupiditate porro fugiat et quo laborum non iure.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”