MSF Class of 2017

Mod Note (Andy) - this was originally posted 8/25/15 but we know @TNA" loves answering these questions so bumping up again to the top

With the MSF recruiting cycle quickly approaching, I thought it would be helpful to create an updated MSF thread for everyone applying to the 2016-2017 MSF cycle. Feel free to post questions for this years upcoming applications here. I will answer what I can. Good luck everyone!

What are your thoughts on UVA's commerce program relative to its competition (Vanderbilt, Villanova, WUSTL, Duke, etc...)? Is it harder to get into? Its academic requirements are not out of the ordinary (gpa range 3.1-3.7 and GMAT range 610-740) and it has a fairly large class size. Are they looking for a specific type of student? Do you think I stand a chance with a 3.5 gpa and a mid/high 600 GMAT if apply second round? For a program with such great OCR and placements one would think that it would have higher GPA/GMAT stats.

Thanks

programs always want diverse cohorts, so that the class isn't disinteresting to recruiters, professors, alums, etc. always focus on the whole package! anything that your schools take for admission decisions! (sorry I'm saying it the 2nd time on WSO), and it's not just a cold numbers game of GPA + GMAT.

benjingg:

What are your thoughts on UVA's commerce program relative to its competition (Vanderbilt, Villanova, WUSTL, Duke, etc...)? Is it harder to get into? Its academic requirements are not out of the ordinary (gpa range 3.1-3.7 and GMAT range 610-740) and it has a fairly large class size. Are they looking for a specific type of student? Do you think I stand a chance with a 3.5 gpa and a mid/high 600 GMAT if apply second round? For a program with such great OCR and placements one would think that it would have higher GPA/GMAT stats.

Thanks

UVA consistently has great placements. I consider it to be one of the top programs. The difficulty in getting into the program is more their restrictions on who can apply. You have to be a fresh graduate who studied a non-business major. This knocks out a lot of traditional MSF applicants. If you meet the aforementioned requirements with the stats you mention above, I think you'd stand a decent chance.

Two-part question: 1.) Placement (areas) on Wall Street- e.g. AM vs. IB vs. quant/risk - Rochester (Simon Full-time) - Villanova - Claremont Mckenna - BC - UF - Columbia (MS Financial Economics)/ similar level of admission difficulty as math of finance? 2.) Credibility of these programs: - Fordham and Johns Hopkins (in terms of prestige and placement) - Wake Forest MA in Management (in terms of relevance) - Stevens Institute of Tech. MSFE (in terms of prestige and chances as non-math undergrad)

Thanks for doing this post, TNA. I have used past discussions as a resource for 2017 MSF programs.

wallynutsack:

Two-part question:
1.) Placement (areas) on Wall Street- e.g. AM vs. IB vs. quant/risk
- Rochester (Simon Full-time)
- Villanova
- Claremont Mckenna
- BC
- UF
- Columbia (MS Financial Economics)/ similar level of admission difficulty as math of finance?
2.) Credibility of these programs:
- Fordham and Johns Hopkins (in terms of prestige and placement)
- Wake Forest MA in Management (in terms of relevance)
- Stevens Institute of Tech. MSFE (in terms of prestige and chances as non-math undergrad)

Thanks for doing this post, TNA. I have used past discussions as a resource for 2017 MSF programs.

Rochester - mainly F500 type placements. I have met some Simon alumni on the street though. Villanova - Banking/F500/Big 4 TAS, etc. Mainly in the north east (Philly, NJ, NYC). Boutique/MM. Claremont - Banking/F500. West Coast focused. MM/Elite Boutique/Some BB. UF - unless you are a UF UG the program is closed to outsiders. Amazing placements. BB/MM. Southern and NYC placements. Columbia - not sure. 2 year program. Think PhD-lite. I am sure if placements are your goal this degree would allow you the opportunity to interview at any top shop.

2) JHU and Fordham are all very good schools. Their MSF programs will provide a great education. The issue is they don't have a history of placements which many (most) MSF applicants use to decide where to attend. If your main (only) goal is to get placed and have those opportunities then I would probably apply elsewhere and keep these as your backup.

Wake Forest MiM - It is a good program. Southern type placements. Obviously you'd compete again UNC, Duke, UVA, etc. Other top southern schools. I'd say Wake would be good for F500 placements. Maybe a southern banking placement from time to time, dependent on the student. The nice aspect of the Wake program vs. Duke's MiM, is that Wake doesn't admit business UG's. Levels the playing field for the class.

Stevens - no clue. If you are a non-math UG I would probably shy away from MFE type programs. Learning curve will be incredibly steep and odds are, if you make it through, you'll struggle and not be mid/top of your class.

The reason why I placed such an emphasis on placement is because I am considering an MSF in lieu of an MBA. Did you and your peers already know which area of finance you wanted to work in ahead of entering your MSF program? And how heavily should an applicant consider placement in selecting MSF programs? I am definitely interested in the learning aspect (I think that's common among anyone pursuing an MSF) but I feel like it would be foolish to pursue academia and disregard the relatively near-approaching post-Graduate future by thinking "I can always get an MBA" which I feel is, at the very least, uncommon after an MSF.

Best Response
wallynutsack:

The reason why I placed such an emphasis on placement is because I am considering an MSF in lieu of an MBA.
Did you and your peers already know which area of finance you wanted to work in ahead of entering your MSF program? And how heavily should an applicant consider placement in selecting MSF programs?
I am definitely interested in the learning aspect (I think that's common among anyone pursuing an MSF) but I feel like it would be foolish to pursue academia and disregard the relatively near-approaching post-Graduate future by thinking "I can always get an MBA" which I feel is, at the very least, uncommon after an MSF.

The MSF still isn't considered on par with an MBA, at least from a branding perspective. You'll be an analyst candidate, not an associate like with an MBA. If you have the experience, do an MBA. That being said, placements are key when selecting an MSF program, without a doubt. The people that were/are most successful are those that have a clear idea of their goals and how they plan on achieving them. The year goes by very fast and you need to hit the ground funning day 1.

TNA:

- Fordham and Johns Hopkins (in terms of prestige and placement)
- Wake Forest MA in Management (in terms of relevance)
- Stevens Institute of Tech. MSFE (in terms of prestige and chances as non-math undergrad)

Rochester - mainly F500 type placements. I have met some Simon alumni on the street though.
Villanova - Banking/F500/Big 4 TAS, etc. Mainly in the north east (Philly, NJ, NYC). Boutique/MM.
Claremont - Banking/F500. West Coast focused. MM/Elite Boutique/Some BB.
UF - unless you are a UF UG the program is closed to outsiders. Amazing placements. BB/MM. Southern and NYC placements.
Columbia - not sure. 2 year program. Think PhD-lite. I am sure if placements are your goal this degree would allow you the opportunity to interview at any top shop.

I don't know anyone from Villanova in Big 4 TAS/Valuation, at least not in NYC. Most come from Vandy/Rochester.

“Elections are a futures market for stolen property”

Is there anywhere where I can look up all the available Masters programmes in the U.S. (I am an international student).

Also, what are some top programmes in the U.S. for placement?

Can anyone explain how recruiting works if one were to do the traditional 4 years at an UG and then a 1 year MSF? Would you recruit for SA in the summer before starting the MSF or do you recruit for FT? I'm looking at the LinkedIn profiles of the some the Mckenna students, as @TNA mentioned have great placements, some of them are doing BB SA's before starting the MSF, is that by leveraging McKenna's career center? I also see some people doing SA 's after graduating from the program.. Any insight would be much apprecited

centrum100:

Can anyone explain how recruiting works if one were to do the traditional 4 years at an UG and then a 1 year MSF? Would you recruit for SA in the summer before starting the MSF or do you recruit for FT?
I'm looking at the LinkedIn profiles of the some the Mckenna students, as @TNA mentioned have great placements, some of them are doing BB SA's before starting the MSF, is that by leveraging McKenna's career center? I also see some people doing SA 's after graduating from the program..
Any insight would be much apprecited

You'd have to apply and interview for a SA in your senior year. If you didn't do that I'd try and get a summer internship at a boutique to boost your resume. Most msf students aim for FT positions post graduation. Some do SAs, but it's a little tough going that route considering the fact that you'd be a masters graduate working with a bunch of juniors.

I'd try and land a job coming from UG, if thst fails roll into an internship and then the MSF. Use the masters to convert to FT.

Pokemon Master:

What are my odds at USC?

Finance major at a top but non-target state school with a 3.6 GPA. Equity research internship at no name shop and a private equity internship at a <$1bil AUM PE fund. My GMAT is abysmal and USC is the only top FT program in the U.S. that doesn't require the GMAT.

USC requires a GMAT now. If they have it as optional I still think you need it. The program is run by a professor and admission standards are high. I'd say you have to get that GMAT up to stand a serious chance.

Associate at a BB working out of Chicago. Have finance exp, but did a non-business undergrad, so need finance creds. Find out if I am accepted to ND's MSF program on Monday.

My personal situation is that I am only going to pay 15% of the degree cost and be able to work FT during the year, so really no opportunity cost (besides a social life). When I checked out the campus and sat in on a class facilities and academics were both great.

I would like to know what you think about this program, because it is new. Think ND's business school pulls enough name recognition? Think I should just shoot for an MBA? My thinking is if MSF ends up falling short can only help my chances getting into a m7 program.

audiblechimp:

Associate at a BB working out of Chicago. Have finance exp, but did a non-business undergrad, so need finance creds. Find out if I am accepted to ND's MSF program on Monday.

My personal situation is that I am only going to pay 15% of the degree cost and be able to work FT during the year, so really no opportunity cost (besides a social life). When I checked out the campus and sat in on a class facilities and academics were both great.

I would like to know what you think about this program, because it is new. Think ND's business school pulls enough name recognition? Think I should just shoot for an MBA? My thinking is if MSF ends up falling short can only help my chances getting into a m7 program.

Hmmm. So your options are really this, chicago PT or Emba, Northwestern PT or Emba. Since you're already an associate and would still work while going to school I'll assume you're looking to stay in banking. I think ND is great in Chicago and the program is only about a year. MBA is still the go to degree though.

I'll say this. Choice is yours, but I don't think you'll be negatively impacted by the ND msf. Good brand, finance education, grad degree, strong network. For the cost it seems like a no brainer.

Thanks, your input means a lot, you seem to be the MSF expert. Chicago and NW both have awesome programs, but ND is one year and I only care about Finance. How do you think MSF is viewed in the PE/Fund world?

Hello guys Am a prospective applicant to MSF programs for 2017 from India. Computer Science Engineer with 3.0 GPA,passed out in 2011,worked at an IT firm for 10 months. Had a liking for the financial markets and had been trading personal accounts from engineering days. Grades suffered a bit in engineering as I was totally into trading and planning how to switch over to the world of finance. It took some time a little bit of courage to quit and then got into a one year post graduate diploma course in Financial Markets offered by the National Stock Exchange of India and the Ministry of Finance,Government of India. Loved the basic introduction to markets and performed well in the course. 73% score after the 4 quadmesters (the topper got 80%). Was accepted as an intern with a leading brokerage firm and was able to work directly under a partner. Learnt the methods and strategies on their prop desk trading equity and FX derivatives. Loved every bit of it and got to experience a lot. Now looking forward to delve deeper into the financial markets world by pursuing a MSF program and then get to work at one of the coveted firms into trading,operations and maybe AM roles. Preparing hard for the GRE and other exams,scoring decent enough in practice. (300-320) Also,how hard is it for international participants to get sponsorship these days in such jobs?

Should I retake the GRE? 160 verbal 157 quant GPA: 3.9 "non-target" school 1 big internship with big 4 Applying to MSF programs at Texas A&M and UT Austin. My quant score isn't in 80th percentile, which is what worries me. Hoping that GPA maybe matters more? Thank you for any advise!!

Amstonecipher:

Should I retake the GRE?
160 verbal
157 quant
GPA: 3.9
"non-target" school
1 big internship with big 4
Applying to MSF programs at Texas A&M and UT Austin. My quant score isn't in 80th percentile, which is what worries me. Hoping that GPA maybe matters more? Thank you for any advise!!

Echo what Btown said. Internship is good. Strong GPA. In at Texas A&M. Most likely at UTA.

Hi just posting here, been reading past years topic and ''enjoyed'' it.

Final year, had some study delay because of serious health issues.

GPA: 3.20, planning to increase this to 3.7+ in Economics

Played professional poker throughout my studies, earning over $500,000 in profits Coached over 20 players in poker strategy and their mental game Affiliate for payment processor (providing the processor with over $250,000 in revenue) Did some serious Bitcoin arbitration by selling Bitcoins, riskless, for a heavy mark up (2% to 10%), over $200,000 in sales (over which 2%-10% was profit)

Interned as a legal assistant for a small law firm

So yeah I have some ''unique'' selfemployment expierence, but nothing like an internship and my GPA sucks of course. Currently trying for an internship at the big banks.

My questions: Have one connection with a trader, who I played a lot against in poker, who cashed big during the Greek crisis and then left his firm Barclays, do you think this connection is realisticly worth anything for an internship?

Do they take my health issues into account?

Is it even possible with this profile to apply to internships at JP,MS,DB, and CS?

What top universities are realistic?

Will an internship at a HFT firm help?

Have you guys heard of Rotterdam Erasmus University, would a master in Finance be of value? (I am Austrian)

do you not care about your own health issues? who cares other than working you hard, they got life insurance on you anyways for pennies on dollars.

you have some good stuff, but you need to widen your scope. otherwise you look like an entrepreneur and firms will think you'd do a short-term, learn the gigs and run away on your own.

I think your story is best told through networking. Like you need to find someone who played poker and is now a trader and take them out for coffee and just lay it on them. You sound pretty entrepreneurial. IMO, I would keep doing what you are doing and forget finance. That being said, I think you'd be well received.

Rotterdam is a good Euro MSF. I'd look at others though just to be safe. Either way I think your story is pretty great.

Thank you so much for replying, really appreciate it. Not just replying to mine, but also others. It is very interesting to read replies to others.

I am glad to hear you have heard about Rotterdam

I have been entrepreneurial my whole life but I am afraid that the opportunity costs are so high now, fellow students doing good internships, getting awesome greats and just become all around savy people. The businesses I am in are not sustainable AT ALL. And in this day and age I feel like more skills are needed to be a succesful entrepreneur, for example my entrepreuneurial activities have been done only in small and niche markets without much competition or with competition but plenty of demand.

@TNA

I'm applying to Masters programs in the UK. Target school in Texas GPA: 3.5 (finance/Econ double major) GMAT: not taken yet WE: 1 year boutique VC (while still in undergrad), internship at BB credit risk, now working full time at GS/MS.

I work a lot- usually 80+ hrs a week. I've asked for a GMAT waiver, but I don't know how likely that is. I've never heard of it happening, have you? Can you comment on my chances?

FinanceGuy15:

@TNA

I'm applying to Masters programs in the UK.
Target school in Texas
GPA: 3.5 (finance/Econ double major)
GMAT: not taken yet
WE: 1 year boutique VC (while still in undergrad), internship at BB credit risk, now working full time at GS/MS.

I work a lot- usually 80+ hrs a week. I've asked for a GMAT waiver, but I don't know how likely that is. I've never heard of it happening, have you? Can you comment on my chances?

Doubtful. Why do you want to do a masters? You seem like you are doing fine professionally.

Mainly because I want to transition to corporate strategy or strategy consulting, and I have no idea how to make that happen from my current situation (my background is very quantitative). Also, I want to try and gain some international experience- hence not really applying to US schools. I'm not really interested in a long term career in Finance anymore. I'd like to switch to consulting. Are you doubtful of my admission or of the GMAT waiver?

Two questions:

How would you summarize Baruch's program? On the forums, it seems like people either view it as trash or as a solid school. My guess is that the academics are decent but the name is not strong. So let's a student with solid networking, grades, ambition, etc... graduates from Baruch with an MSF, where could it get them?

Also, what are your thoughts on the lesser known California schools? I know CMC and USC have solid programs. The only other schools I know of with MSF's on the west coast are UCSD and USD, although UCSD seems like it's geared towards financial engineering. Would an MSF from USD just be an expensive piece of paper?

benjingg:

Two questions:

How would you summarize Baruch's program? On the forums, it seems like people either view it as trash or as a solid school. My guess is that the academics are decent but the name is not strong. So let's a student with solid networking, grades, ambition, etc... graduates from Baruch with an MSF, where could it get them?

Also, what are your thoughts on the lesser known California schools? I know CMC and USC have solid programs. The only other schools I know of with MSF's on the west coast are UCSD and USD, although UCSD seems like it's geared towards financial engineering. Would an MSF from USD just be an expensive piece of paper?

I think Baruch is fine and its location in NYC is a big plus. If you go that route you are going to bear the burden of career services on your own shoulders though. I think calling the school trash is too much though.

As for "lesser" California schools. I think once you go outside of the CMC or USC type schools you will still get a good education, a brand with a lot of local alumnus, but your chances of landing a job in investment banking will diminish. All of these rankings and stuff are all based on which programs place you into investment banking. If your goal is F500 and you want to work in Cali then you can go to a much wider variety of schools.

Rady is a small place. It does have guys like Markowitz (probably taught enough). networking is the real key - if you do Baruch and meet the right people, it may help more than HBS. With that said, it is obviously easier to find right people in better schools as lesser schools are feeding MO BO while the ivyies take FO, right?

It's your call.

jingbong:

Two questions:

Hi, I am applying for 2016-17 Msf Brief profile International student I have completed my BE with a first class (62%) from university of Pune, India I currently work with a small sized IB as an analyst with a client facing role. Experience 7 months as a financial analyst at an MNC 5 months as IB analyst GMAT 700 q49 v37 Toefl 114

Applying to Vandy Wustl BC Nova CMC Simon

How are my chances at these schools? Pls suggest other schools as well Regards Rohan

Hi TNA

• i'm a 25 years old Iranian
  • MBA IN FINANCE from sharif university (best MBA program in middle east / best university in my country / 130-140 in world )
  • GPA 3.93 out of 4 (highest in the history of program )
  • 780 in GMAT
  • 4 year of work experience ( 2 years in ACCOUNTING department of a private holding / 2 years in ER, buy side of the biggest broker in my country) [Islamic banking]
  • CPA chart holder and level 3 CFA (and some other certifications like exam 70 and 63 equivalent of my own country)
  • i can speak fluent Persian , English , Japanese, Arabic and some chinese

i was thinking about completeing a MASTER IN FINANCE program, while getting some internships and networking and then apply for jobs in middle east (Saudi Arabia / Dubai) offices of BB banks. i have three questions from you:

1. what do you think my chances of getting accepted to TOP MSF programs are?
  2. considering my goals which programs do you recommend to me?
  3. What do you think my chances of getting an offer AFTER I finish my program with 1-2 internships in IB are? . do you even think my background will land me any internships? does my background appeal to IBankers at all? (if not what should i do?)

many thanks kamyar

Hi, I am applying for MSf 2016-17 program in US Brief Profile I am a 26yr old Indian and have done my BE from university of Pune ( 62% agg.) I work in an Investment bank( Mid Size) as an analyst with 1 yr work ex and plan to pursue/switch to corp fin GMAT 700 q49v37 Toefl 114

Wish to apply to Vandy,wustl and Nova How are my chances at these schools, i would appreciates if you could suggest some other good schools.

Thanks Rohan

Hello All,

I have a question in regard to the recommendation letters. Do these letters have to be sent from recommenders directly? The reason I am asking is that I already have soft and hard copies of reference letters from professors and supervisors. It is a heavy duty if I am applying to 6 different schools, which will require multiple submissions from professors and supervisors.

Also, my university has a service to send out reference letters on behalf of the student. Will that work?

Please share your thoughts. Thank you.

It's all about internships, plain and simple. GPA is the metric that lets you apply for jobs with GPA cut off but internships are what get you the interviews/offers.

p.s. I disagree with @whattherock" statement about undergrad leftovers, if you are an impressive candidate you will get your share of recruiting against undergrads for sure.

Array

BobTheBaker:

It's all about internships, plain and simple. GPA is the metric that lets you apply for jobs with GPA cut off but internships are what get you the interviews/offers.

p.s. I disagree with @whattherock statement about undergrad leftovers, if you are an impressive candidate you will get your share of recruiting against undergrads for sure.

I respectfully disagree. it's not about candidate's performance. it's about candidate's access. As a MSF you're bound to have less priority to MBA/BSBA students.

IF MSF cannablizes UG/MBA students, then the b-school is going down, and MSF will go down too.

As a nontarget that worked in retail when I graduated and now im on my second finance internship, first was in advisory now I am doing valuations for a CRE firm, the MSF is already paying dividends. I would not get an MSF if I already had a good job or had alot of experience (talking non MIT/Princeton/ European MSFs here).

Array

A MSF is a graduate degree in finance. How you use it and value it is up to you.

And all should be warned. It's up to you to execute on the opportunity a masters will provide. The degree isn't going to magically give you a job if you don't network, interview well, actively pursue a job.

Hey everyone,

First post here on WSO. Will be graduating in Spring of 2016 and I'm currently applying for 2016-2017 MSF programs both here in U.S. and Europe. Brief Profile: Applied/Comp Math major; Finance & Econ. minors Undergrad GPA: 4.0 and Graduate coursework has been 4.0 as well GRE: 170 Q, 160 V, 4.0 AWA Professional experience: 2 actuarial internships with a company with one of the more competitive full-time actuarial programs; non-finance related legislative internship under my State senator Research: Completing Fin Math Honors Thesis (focuses on the computer simulation of derivatives' prices); another fin math project centered around the efficient derivation of B-S pde solutions

Applying to: MIT, Vanderbilt, UVA, LSE, Oxford, HEC Paris

Long-term goal is to end up in IB in NYC or London. Currently, I am applying for IB SA positions for the summer before MSF to help add credibility in full-time search after MSF.

My questions: What schools do you think I have the best shot at given my background and interests? (definitely think I'll have a good shot at MIT with quant background)

Also, down the road, I'd like to end up back in states so how hard is it for someone to go to a MSF program in London or Paris and end up back in the states for full-time?

Thanks!

undefined:

@TNA

I've already graduated this year and currently work as an intern for a small boutique IB in west coast (mostly private placements -fundraising, and valuation advisory)

Semi-Target
3.2 GPA (FInance & Accounting Major)
GMAT - 680~740 (on MG, OG tests), taking the test this month
Previous Internship: VC (Abroad), International Banking (Money Market, Structured Finance), IB (current internship)
CFA Lv.2 Candidate

I'm planning on applying for msf this year, what are my chances at these programs?

CMC
USC
Vandy
Duke (MiM)

Thanks,

Do you really need an MSF? You could probably network into an off cycle with this profile. You'll get into all the programs you listed, with USC being the only wild card because of their odd admissions preferences.

@TNA: applying to Robinson at Georgia State MSF. Stats: BBA in Finance. 3.4 plus gpa. Top 15 percent in undergrad. T3 law degree. B average in law school. Crappy grades in law school. Experience in financial advisory, corporate access and fixed income sales trading. Three and a half years total experience. SEC while in law school. Mid 30s. Kaile encourages me to apply.

Just,need to hit the GMAT.

undefined:

@TNA: applying to Robinson at Georgia State MSF. Stats: BBA in Finance. 3.4 plus gpa. Top 15 percent in undergrad. T3 law degree. B average in law school. Crappy grades in law school. Experience in financial advisory, corporate access and fixed income sales trading. Three and a half years total experience. SEC while in law school. Mid 30s. Kaile encourages me to apply.

Just,need to hit the GMAT.

I hope a week is enough for you to realize.... there are no fools working in School Admissions that will discourage you to apply.

Was this a helpful response? Adcoms can and do tell you exactly what is up. You talk to them and tell them about your 540 gmat score and I guarantee they will either bluntly or delicately tell you to retake your GMAT or that you'd most likely not be able to get in.

I helped you a lot when you were looking at schools. We've all be there. If someone has a question don't be a dick.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on my situation.

I have 2 offers: F500 Corp Fin and Data Analyst at FinServices company. I still haven't taken the GMAT but have 3.9 at non target @ bschool, (on pace for cum laude.) MSF rep from Nova told me I could study and take GMAT in March and they'd accept my score in their final admission window.

Assuming I get in (which I know isn't a given), I'd want to use the program as an opportunity to buy myself another year to break into IB/ER or at least VAS while upgrading schools. I'm worried that my existing offers would make it difficult to end up in a big ticket finance role down the line but am weary of the effectiveness of MSF in my situation. Thanks ahead of time!

undefined:

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on my situation.

I have 2 offers: F500 Corp Fin and Data Analyst at FinServices company. I still haven't taken the GMAT but have 3.9 at non target @ bschool, (on pace for cum laude.) MSF rep from Nova told me I could study and take GMAT in March and they'd accept my score in their final admission window.

Assuming I get in (which I know isn't a given), I'd want to use the program as an opportunity to buy myself another year to break into IB/ER or at least VAS while upgrading schools. I'm worried that my existing offers would make it difficult to end up in a big ticket finance role down the line but am weary of the effectiveness of MSF in my situation. Thanks ahead of time!

depends on many other things. I probably prefer working in Meaningful Jobs than MSF. You at least get paid, and you also get the choice of other opportunities.

if you get a boring job and can't upgrade to your dream job - you keep your boring job. if you get a MSF and can't get your dream job - you become unemployed.

Also if your GPA is 3.9 with a decent GMAT I think you can aim for better MSFs out there. with all due respect, aim for higher isn't a bad thing.

undefined:

I am planning to apply to MSF programs. Unlike most peers, however, post MSF I am interested in entry level management/strategy consulting (think Big Four/Accenture/etc. -- in other words, very good companies, but not, specifically, the "best").

I was wondering more about applying to MSF programs, opposed to being recruited out of MSF programs. Do programs look down on this type of non-finance career plan? "My" story is, essentially: either out of UG or after working one/two years, I would not be able to break into Big Four/Accenture/etc. consulting without an MSF.

Any insight is appreciated. Of course, there are many other factors that determine MSF placement into Big Four/Accenture/etc. consulting; I am, perhaps along with others with similar backgrounds, more interested in how this type of career plan may impact the admissions decision.

Thanks,
Happy123

Suppose a big 4 recruiter comes to you and ask... Why MSF? Why not MAcc? you need to have an answer. also I don't know how much the curriculum will touch on "consulting" topics, although undergrads in Finance are not discriminated necessarily by the consulting firms either.

MSF programs won't have an issue with this. Vanderbilt has a bunch of consulting placements. Nova has them from time to time. Same with the others. I would add into your essays how you've already interviewed with these types of places, know people, etc, and the MSF is the polish you need in order to land the job. This will impress them and put their concerns to ease. Honestly, you'll be one of only a few, if any, MSF students seeking out this kind of placement so I think this will make you stand out. The fact that you've already been able to get interviews at these places is a big positive as well.

Good luck!

Background:

URM working as a commercial credit analyst at a commercial lender which is owned by a large auto company. It's a mix of general credit/financial analysis, commercial loan and RE underwriting, loan documentation, Real Estate due diligence, and loan securitization type stuff (reviewing UCC filings, contracts and loan agreements). I'm interacting with our clients on a daily basis through the whole process of underwriting the deal to funding the transactions.

2.85 UG GPA in Econ, B.S. , 640 GMAT. Enrolled at a small liberal arts college for an MSF while working, I have a 3.7 GPA through 12 credits. My mom had cancer through UG, and I was pretty much the only family member able to get her to her chemo-appointments, take care of her, etc. so admittedly, my grades suffered. I'm in a better place now and I've been able to do fairly well in my first 4 MSF courses.

Ideally, I want to work in NY in a similar role, commercial or middle market, basically wherever my transferable skills would be a good fit. I'm tired of the state I'm in and I want out, so I'm open to firms of any size. I'd imagine making the move would be difficult. I was thinking about transferring to a school in the NYC area, getting my master's there and then going on the job hunt.

What are my realistic options here for school? I feel like I'm stuck and I'm trying to transfer. I was thinking going to school in the area I wanted to work in would help with getting a job. I was targeting Spring 2017 to make the move, and by 2017, I'll have a total of two-years experience at my current firm. I've excelled at my firm so far and I'm on track for a promotion to the second-analyst level as of my first annual review.

I'm also interested in how the different application rounds impact admissions. Generally, does admissions at each successive round become more and more competitive? I would assume admissions gets more competitive, but it'd be great to hear some insight!

Thanks.

Curious about the essay portion and its weighting within admission criteria. What aspects of your application are weighted heaviest, is it mostly undergrad gpa/GMAT, or is it more experiences/background, or recs? I imagine each program is different, but itd be useful to hear where the majority of time should be spent when forming one's application "package"

undefined:

Curious about the essay portion and its weighting within admission criteria. What aspects of your application are weighted heaviest, is it mostly undergrad gpa/GMAT, or is it more experiences/background, or recs? I imagine each program is different, but itd be useful to hear where the majority of time should be spent when forming one's application "package"

weighted heavier in GPA/GMAT to cover your typical lack of work experience, but that's COMPARED TO MBA PROGRAMS, but still, you need the full pictures for AdComs to interview/admit you.

Really depends on which program you apply and how weak certain aspects of your resume are. If your GPA is below a 3.0 then the GMAT will be disproportionately higher weighted than anything else. Sometimes CFA L1 and/or L2 can help mitigate the GPA issue. But assuming your GPA and GMAT are decent (but not super high), then the essays and recommendations have a very high weighting.

The whole package is heavily reviewed at the various MSF programs. Essays are important because they spell out career plans and how you've thought about the program. This is a strong indicator on ability of a student to get placed. Also helps identify your english language skills.

IMO, if you have a 3.2-3.4 GPA range I would focus on the GMAT to get you about a 650. However much time and effort depends on the person. After that, the essays, recommendations, touring campus, getting internships, that is the make or break aspect. Especially if you are a domestic student.

undefined:

Really depends on which program you apply and how weak certain aspects of your resume are. If your GPA is below a 3.0 then the GMAT will be disproportionately higher weighted than anything else. Sometimes CFA L1 and/or L2 can help mitigate the GPA issue. But assuming your GPA and GMAT are decent (but not super high), then the essays and recommendations have a very high weighting.

The whole package is heavily reviewed at the various MSF programs. Essays are important because they spell out career plans and how you've thought about the program. This is a strong indicator on ability of a student to get placed. Also helps identify your english language skills.

IMO, if you have a 3.2-3.4 GPA range I would focus on the GMAT to get you about a 650. However much time and effort depends on the person. After that, the essays, recommendations, touring campus, getting internships, that is the make or break aspect. Especially if you are a domestic student.

I misspoke.

Big 4 valuation/M&A/Restructuring shops are almost exclusively hiring MACCs/MSFs these days at the Associate/Senior Associate level. Vanderbilt is really ahead of the game in this area but there's plenty of room for growth at other programs.

“Elections are a futures market for stolen property”

3.758 GPA Engineering major from HYP

Will have worked for approximately 2ish years as a technology consultant at a small, no name shop

Looking to transition into investment banking -> corporate development (end goal is corporate development but would be willing to look into consulting or FLDP if they can get me there)

No finance experience

770 GMAT (50 Q 45 V 6 AWA 8 IR)

Applying to the following schools: Vanderbilt LSE Finance and Risk and Finance Imperial Finance WUSTL (if rejected from Vanderbilt)

you're not really a MSF candidate. if you're from HYP, use that network to leverage yourself into a job. You just need to start with the alums that are closest to your job.

Alternatively you could get into some nice MBA program and ride on a possible scholarship with your GMAT and school background. You might need some storytelling but that's all.

Obviously a troll or something. With that profile, you don't even need MSF or another degree. I agree with whattherock, use that network. You could always go back to school for MBA later. Vanderbilt doesn't have a better network than HYP, just saying. You'll be devaluing yourself.

Add MIT and Princeton to your list.

1) I think you should be looking at MBA programs, but I think your work experience is going to be an issue.

IMO, try and go to another firm with a more recognized brand name. Do that for say two years and then apply to top MBA programs. You have the GPA and GMAT, you should be fine. That way you can go into IB as an associate. Right now, with your experience, I think you'd come in as an analyst at most shops.

With that GPA/GMAT I would exclusively apply to top MBA programs/ top MSFs in europe, why would a 3.75 engr from HYP with 2 years experience and a 770 GMAT want a job as an IB analyst at this point? Why are you not applying to MIT/ Princeton if you insist on an MSF?

Array

There is no age limit. It really depends on what you want to do, your comfort with being outside the normal age range at a lot of places and what your goals are. You'll see a range of ages at most programs, with the average age being around 24-25.

I didnt go to HYP. I went to a top 2 liberal arts school. I am not a finance/business/or econ major.

The reasons I'm considering a msf is

1. Help rebrand

2. Im currently applying to MBA programs but if I dont get into a top program perhaps doing an msf, getting a high gpa in the msf and working at a big name company will increase my chances for the M7. ( My undergrad gpa is low and will probably kill me for mba apps

3. Have an extra network to pull from ( If I were to apply msf it would be USC, Vandy, and UT Austin). Also getting an msf would allow me to network within my undergrad network much better with a background in finance.

4. I;m a little worried looking at the stats for how many people got their supposed dream job and then hated it an switched. Perhaps doing it earlier on from an msf would confirm 100 percent what I want to do.

I'm 25 and soon to be 26 so I' m not sure if thats too old. I've made a thread a couple weeks ago but I posted here to try and get more opinions.

if I could switch the "brands" with you, I would be totally up for it. If you don't do your MSF at your undergrad colleage, lol, it pulls you away from your network don't you think?

Just be upfront and own the fact that you suck at networking until this point. Work on that and come back after you fix that.

It's kind of harsh to say, but you might not get value out of MSF or MBA or anything if you don't recognize what you want to work on

I am from a non-target school in south florida (FGCU), where campus recruiting is mainly wealth management. I would like to break into IB/ consulting eventually. -GMAT - 700 (44Q/41V) 89th percentile...only studied about one month and can improve quant score if needed -GPA - 3.6 -currently employed at Morgan Stanley Wealth Management as an analyst/client service rep (since Feb) -chosen to participate in student managed investment fund (class of 7) -played ice hockey all through school and worked part time

Looking to apply to MSF programs at Vandy, UT Austin, USC and open to other suggestions...or should i try to get better work experience for now and wait to pursue an MBA. Is my quant score too low for top MSF programs?

well.... almost sounds like MBA battles..

they're more consulting schools, naturally by their placements. they're coming for the MBA anyways, so the MiMs are just grabbing graduate recruitments "by the way".

Ross tends to feed a lot in tech/F500, solid finance but not a core Kellogg is consulting heavy then finance, but obviously much more finance recruiting walks across the street for Booth

Yup. It would have been great if these schools included few finance courses (Ross has few electives). They are technically open to every career path, but the placements don't reflect that. This is why i wouldn't pick them over Duke or UVA.

With regards to a back up option, the question is "Are these 2 better than Tier 1 MSF ?". Also, applying to these is really a painful process (Kellogg - 2 video essays) contrary to MSF (1 size closely fits all essay)

About me:

Currently a 4th year senior (Im 21) Graduating in May Considering: MSF, MMS, or MBA (not likely)

University of Florida Major: Finance; Minor: Real Estate GPA: 3.3 GMAT: 720 (Q46, V42) Internships: one with a financial advisor (AXA Advisors), one with a 4 year-old tech startup (gaining legitimacy through deals with large companies, such as AB InBev)
Some on campus involvement: assistant treasurer of campus organization, chairman of selection committee of my fraternity

Interests: Aim to be a CEO/CFO/Founder one day, but i want to start out in something such as investment banking, corporate finance, or whatever the best job I can get out of one of these programs.

Programs I want to apply to: Texas MSF Vanderbilt MSF Boston College MSF Wash U MSF Miami MSF Duke MMS (My dad is an alum) Northwestern MSMS NYU MSRE UF MSRE

I know a lot of these programs have incredibly low acceptance rates because there are few spots, but what do you think about my chances of getting into these programs? I know I can do much better in the quant section, but I am not sure if it would be worth it to retake the GMAT, especially considering that I am less interested in the quantitative programs, such as MFE.

*side note--- after speaking with admissions at University of Miami MBA, I think I have a decent shot of getting in despite my lack of work experience. Is the Miami MBA worth pursuing? Or would it be better to do an MSF/ MMS and go back for the MBA later on if i feel like it is necessary? I know the MBA programs are more valuable if you have work experience, but there is something to be said about the chance to graduate at 24 with an MBA at the top of your class (which I think is attainable).

Anyways, thanks in advance for the advice. I appreciate it! Looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say.

few things to consider

Miami MBA is probably not even stronger as Florida MBA. taking easy MBA early in career is like career suicide, they take you because you pay cash or something? useless to take GMAT again if your understanding of Graduate business admisssions is on that level. That itself is enough for anywhere but maybe not the rest of your application. why MSF and can't you find a sound job as-is? saves you some bucks unless Florida's network isn't enough for your appetites.. with that many MSF/MMS apps, quality might suffer... you only need one admit, but it might get harder if you're writing essays, interviewing for multiple places (if they do decide to invite)

I think it is a good program, but behind SMU and UTA. It hasn't been open to non TAMU students for a while so I am not sure about their placements from the program. Lots of alumni in the Texas area though which will be helpful when it comes time to look for a job.

undefined:

I think it is a good program, but behind SMU and UTA. It hasn't been open to non TAMU students for a while so I am not sure about their placements from the program. Lots of alumni in the Texas area though which will be helpful when it comes time to look for a job.

dude, they have 59% TAMU undergrads, implying 41% from outside schools...anyways, they do pick up outsiders.

It has one of the best best statistics department in the country, the programming pre-requisite makes it look like it is a MFE but it'll depend on when they offer electives, it could be more of a MSF.

I will first slam you for not having 99% of your MSF app ready a week before deadline. if you're doing more than minor adjustments two days before, that's a waste of money, better off to round 2. Writing those for once takes hours, revising them takes ages!

second, it's about how you communicate the story. STAR method, and how you express your interests and passions by doing. they know you want to do MSF, but they want to you about your personal profile to understand where you're from, why here now, why MSF later.

if you help them understand your story, they'd help you to raise your admit chances!

Sorry that my reply is past the deadline. You will be fine with just listing what you have. They include the professional section in case you work and are part of any number of groups (CFA society, ACG, TMA, etc).

I noticed Washu does not really place well in the South (based on their placement info online). I am from Texas. Should I just stick with schools such as UT, Vandy, and SMU?

your question is pretty strange itself. plenty of people are not in the southern MSF programs, and they're not worried about placements in the south.

now, if you wanna work at TX area, it's pretty reasonable to lean for those programs you aforementioned....maybe A&M as well dependin on your due diligence results.

undefined:

your question is pretty strange itself. plenty of people are not in the southern MSF programs, and they're not worried about placements in the south.

now, if you wanna work at TX area, it's pretty reasonable to lean for those programs you aforementioned....maybe A&M as well dependin on your due diligence results.

I kind of got the feel that Washu was more for people trying to find a job in the Midwest or up north

@TNA" I read in an earlier comment you posted several years ago that you wouldn't recommend Syracuse's MSF program. Do you think their program is still not worth applying to?

Happy123:

@TNA I read in an earlier comment you posted several years ago that you wouldn't recommend Syracuse's MSF program. Do you think their program is still not worth applying to?

I would still apply elsewhere.

What are my chances at UT Austin MSF, USC MSF, and Vandy MSF?

I have a 3.0 gpa from a top 2 liberal arts school I have a 710 GMAT ( 48 Q, 40V) I'm 25 years old, soon to be 26.

I have 3 years of work experience so far ( 2.5 in marketing, and 0.5 years in real estate finance,

I'm not sure how MSF views gpa vs GMAT. Will my 710 gmat make up for my 3.0 gpa.

I was also a student athlete and captain of a team that won the national championship. ( Not sure how much this will help if at all)

~3.55 cGPA from non-target public in engineering ~2 years as engineer No financial experience, my interest just comes from doing trades in financial industry. I will do fairly well on GRE, my practice scores have been around 165's.

No real extracurricular activties besides work for the past few years. Do I have a shot at Berkeley/MIT? What can I do to improve my chances - does applying early help a lot? I think I can secure a solid letter from a former professor and hopefully one from work (as long as I don't mess anything up). My goal is to go to Berkeley. My GPA is around ~0.1 below the avg of Berkeley, and I have some work experience.

Asian-American.

Any advise is appreciated.

Hi all, wanted to throw my hat in the ring as I'm finishing up applying for programs this week.

Background: Major: Industrial Engineering (top 10 engineering school in the country, bet you can guess by the user name) Minor: Entrepreneurship (really interested in valuation) GPA: 3.00 (~3.4 for junior and senior years after switching my major) GMAT: 750 (98th%, 48Q 44V) Decent EC's from campus orgs, case study competition, and fraternity that I can sell very well in an interview. -Also unique real world consulting experience through a school program Graduated in May 2015

Currently working in Engineering Sales in Chicago, very self sufficient role with project based experience, coordinating with multiple divisions in the company and frequent long hours on project sites. Can leave my job after May (otherwise I have to pay back my signing bonus). I tried to get consulting/finance roles out of undergrad but didn't work out.

Looking to get into banking to get as much financial deal experience as possible. Eventually I would really like to do venture capital or impact PE in emerging markets. I'd ideally like to come back to work in Chicago, but definitely open to going anywhere around the country.

I've already applied to the UVA MS in Commerce, probably my top choice (open to hear feedback on that) Putting final touches on applications for: Vanderbilt MSF Villanova MSF Notre Dame MSM

I think I'll be competitive at these schools, but I'd love a second opinion from some of the usual suspects on here.

Any other programs I should consider taking a look at? I'll obviously need internship experience so that's something I want to consider. I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on the Northwestern MS in Mgmt Studies. Most notably about placements for banking roles. I just know the admission process is kind of a pain and pretty tough to get in.

Thanks for everyone who keeps contributing all the MSF info throughout the site @TNA" @whattherock". It's really been helpful and is what spurred me to get on this track.

I think your list of schools is a good start and that you stand a pretty good chance at all of them.

There are a few other programs potentially worth considering: UT MSF, Duke MMS, LBS, LSE

PassionBucket:

Was hoping to get some input quick as this is the day of vanderbilts 2nd application deadline. I just needed to take the GMAT, my app is ready to go but I took the test today and scored 640 (42Q, 35V) is it worth applying now? 3.73 undergrad gpa dual finance Econ major at a fairly reputable school, good complete package from what I've read and heard, is it worth applying with a 640 or should I take it again and go for the next round? Thanks

@TNA any insight? is 640 an automatic ding?

I would reach out to Cherrie, let her know you are retaking your GMAT as you believe you can score higher, but want to get your app in before it is too late. Often they will review you and give you a provisional acceptance upon getting your GMAT to a certain level. I would 100% try and get your app in the 2nd round.

Hello All,

I was wondering what you guys thought about the new UVA MS in Global Commerce program?

The basic premise of the program is it is a year long and you spend 15 weeks on UVA's main campus, 9 weeks in Lingnan University in China, and 15 weeks at ESADE in Spain. (I know that is only 39 weeks and I said a year-- there are some breaks in between)

The program is for Business undergrads only.

UVA's coursework will focus on "Global Strategic Management". Lingnan's coursework will focus on "Global Financing & Operations" ESADE's coursework will focus on "Global Innovations & Alliances"

The class starting in Fall 2016 will be the inaugural class.

I want to go into consulting, do you guys think this would be a good path out of an undergrad in finance with a few corporate finance internships?

Showtime22242:

Hello All,

I was wondering what you guys thought about the new UVA MS in Global Commerce program?

The basic premise of the program is it is a year long and you spend 15 weeks on UVA's main campus, 9 weeks in Lingnan University in China, and 15 weeks at ESADE in Spain. (I know that is only 39 weeks and I said a year-- there are some breaks in between)

The program is for Business undergrads only.

UVA's coursework will focus on "Global Strategic Management".
Lingnan's coursework will focus on "Global Financing & Operations"
ESADE's coursework will focus on "Global Innovations & Alliances"

The class starting in Fall 2016 will be the inaugural class.

I want to go into consulting, do you guys think this would be a good path out of an undergrad in finance with a few corporate finance internships?

I've met the person running this and was very impressed with the direction they are going with this program. A lot of schools are starting global MSF type programs as an effort to absorb excess Chinese applicants while not diluting their FT MSF program placement stats. Not to say this is the only reason for the programs, but this is absolutely one of them. This program is focusing on US students as well as some students from South America. This isn't an overflow program. In fact, this program is the Dean's baby,

I am not sure about how this program will place as this is the first year. I know the goal of this class is to be extremely high quality as it will carry UVA's brand and name. The experience seems truly unique and they are working hard to make classes relevant and incorporate every facet of the school into this degree. If you want consulting and prepare for it, I think you'll be able to achieve it from this degree.

Starting the Georgia State MSF program this year. Interesting that they moved the program to August rather than January. Prefer to start in fall. Night program. @TNA, the programs price tag went up about 2000 bucks since last year to about 39k. Anyone else enrolling?

Just found out I was admitted to the UVA M.S. Commerce Program for the class of 2017! I'm very excited about this, but have to make the decision by March 1st, and I'm still waiting to hear back about the Vanderbilt MSF. I had an interview at Vandy scheduled for Feb. 21st, but I'm going to try and get that moved up now. Any tips on how to approach both Vanderbilt and UVA admissions about this, and how to begin the process of trying to kindof make financial aid packages compete against each other?

Does anyone know if one can apply to two programs at Vanderbilt? I'm contemplating applying to Macc Valuation, and the MSF before March deadline. I'm mostly interested in big 4, corporate finance, valuation. The reason I'm applying to both is because I don't think I have a strong profile for the MSF. I'm not applying to Macc Assurance because the OCR is Audit focused only. @TNA" ? I've emailed them but they haven't replied. And I haven't been able to call them because of time difference!

1. Definitely ask for an extension on the decision deadline, you've already been accepted and it won't hurt to ask, they aren't going to rescind the acceptance for asking.
  2. Get Vandy to move up the interview date
  3. If you get the Vandy offer be sure to explain you are trying to choose between two great schools and finances are a consideration, maybe mention an estimation of UVA's aid package.

tha'ts how I would go about it

Array

ChloeJ90 If you don't want IB/ER/Buyside I would apply to the MACC Valuation as your goals seem to be aligned with the program. You can just apply to MSF's elsewhere (Nova, SMU, Wustl, UT) then decide later. Unless you are locked in on Vandy.

Array

Well I'm also applying to a couple of other MSFs. Vanderbilt is just better, you know(lol), and I love Nashville(been there before). I don't have any expectations, but it won't hurt applying. I think I'll do that in case they don't accept two applications(still waiting for response). Thanks!

Thanks for the reply @BoilerBob. I had my interview on January 20th, so I'm just waiting for a final decision. I called and they said my final evaluation will be at the next meeting-- so it's looking like Thursday. Can't wait.. Thanks for the info and good luck to you!

I had interview with Vandy last Friday Feb 12, from what I heard it was earlier than some R1 or R2 applicants( I applied right after the R2 deadline). Will that put me into the same pool with R2 applicants or do I have to wait another 7 weeks to hear back from them? BoilerBob Do you know when's their next meeting? And big congs for yall who just got accepted!

With you applying after the R2 deadline, I'm not sure where you'd stand on that, but it sounds like they might've just put you in round 2 with an interview that early. I was actually just accepted on Tuesday, same as Jarsmith14 but I asked them to fast track my decision based on deadlines for another school. I would reach out to Liz or Cherrie and just ask them. They've been very responsive and willing to help.

Hey all, was hoping to find out my chances at admission into a decent program. I'm going to be applying next year with hopes at vanderbilt, uta, nova, smu in that order. I'm a current BBA undergrad from a non target with a 3.3 cumulative gpa. I had 1 failing semester, then served in the military, since the military I'm sitting at a 3.9 gpa. I'm looking at a 670 GMAT. Unfortunately no intern experience. However my military job was an intelligence analyst, so maybe I get a bump there? I would truly love to pick your brain @TNA I feel like with your insight into can be successful. Thanks in advance for input.

When I attended the on campus interview in January, I was told their incoming class at Vanderbilt had an average GMAT of 700+, so it seems the applicants are strengthening for this program. I have a 700 GMAT and 3.6GPA in Finance from a non-target, currently work in PWM at a BB, but I think you should have a good shot at all of those programs as long as you explain exactly what you did here about your GPA, and tailor your experience in the military toward the program and how it will help you pursue your career goals. You should look into BC in addition to the programs you listed since it is located in Boston and will have great networking opportunities. What career path are you planning to pursue? Also, thank you for your service!

This is the answer I was really hoping to hear but I was just unsure. I haven't looked into BC too much yet so that's why I haven't included it, but I'm about to look into it now. I really am preferring to be placed in Dallas or Charlotte therefore Vandy being my top choice. As far as career I'm looking to go IB or consulting, I'm equally interested in both.

wardulack:

Hey all, was hoping to find out my chances at admission into a decent program. I'm going to be applying next year with hopes at vanderbilt, uta, nova, smu in that order. I'm a current BBA undergrad from a non target with a 3.3 cumulative gpa. I had 1 failing semester, then served in the military, since the military I'm sitting at a 3.9 gpa. I'm looking at a 670 GMAT. Unfortunately no intern experience. However my military job was an intelligence analyst, so maybe I get a bump there? I would truly love to pick your brain @TNA I feel like with your insight into can be successful. Thanks in advance for input.

I think you'd get into most of the schools you listed. With that said, I would strongly advise you to look at MBA programs as I am going to assume you have more than one year experience. Military, especially the role you were in, combined with your stats, should help you get into a number of very good schools.

That's awesome to hear, I've been stressing out about upcoming grad school applications pretty heavily. I'm glad you mentioned MBA, as that was my original goal but I am fearful of the work experience portion of admissions. I did have 4 years experience as an intelligence analyst, with some very strong accolades including a meritorious promotion, every evaluation cycle being in the top 10% of my peers, and rapid promotion with leadership positions overseeing teams of 20 or so people . Whereas I personally feel like it is relevant work experience, the more I looked into it I was seeing schools define work experience as post UG. Since I was enlisted in the military, then went to UG, and then was looking into going into an MBA program immediately after I figured that would severely hamper my chances. Even if I get my MSF, an MBA is my ultimate goal so if you think I can be competitive for MBA now that would be incredible. I would love to hear your thoughts on this. Thank you so much TNA for your insight, I have read through all 20+ pages of past years threads and really appreciate your efforts to the community.

Hi all

I'm wondering whether I'd be competitive applying for a top MFin program (mainly MIT). I'm pretty happy with my sell-side trading job right now but wouldn't mind moving into something more quantitative, or possibly move to the buyside. I'm certain my desk would be supportive of me and might help open some doors. I have EU citizenship so I could go to London, but I'd be happy returning to my current shop or moving to NY.

• 1.5 years on a short term rates trading desk outside the US (think Canada, France, Australia). It's a big local market share leader, and is well regarded here. I recently have gotten my own book to trade under arms length supervision.
  • 740 GMAT
  • 2 separate degrees: First in economics, 3.5 gpa. Failed a math/econ course in second year on, and had to repeat a few courses, last year GPA was 3.9 though, top marks in a few key courses. Second degree was in a general management/commerce type degree, 3.9 GPA, award for top 5% of the class. Somewhat prestigious school (for being outside the US), maybe a third of this forum would recognize the name.
  • Passed all 3 levels of the CFA (repeated 1 as it conflicted with an internship, nailed the internship and got the return offer).
  • Founded a school trading club that now has 100+ annual paying members.
  • Regularly use VBA, Python, and some R in my job. I can program basic stuff in C++ as well.
  • Rec letters from my school's Master Program (MFin equivalent) director (aced one of his courses, did some research with him), and can probably get one from one of the senior traders I work with.

If I applied next year, is there anything I could do to strenthen my profile? I'm worried about the F on my transcript blacklisting me. Would it be better to wait and do an MBA instead?

I think you are a bit overqualified for an MSF degree and would be better served by waiting to pursue an MBA. You have a very strong profile and would have a good shot at some of the top programs. I would wait until you have 3-4 years experience though.

gradschoolhopeful:

Hi all

I'm wondering whether I'd be competitive applying for a top MFin program (mainly MIT). I'm pretty happy with my sell-side trading job right now but wouldn't mind moving into something more quantitative, or possibly move to the buyside. I'm certain my desk would be supportive of me and might help open some doors. I have EU citizenship so I could go to London, but I'd be happy returning to my current shop or moving to NY.

- 1.5 years on a short term rates trading desk outside the US (think Canada, France, Australia). It's a big local market share leader, and is well regarded here. I recently have gotten my own book to trade under arms length supervision.
- 740 GMAT
- 2 separate degrees:
First in economics, 3.5 gpa. Failed a math/econ course in second year on, and had to repeat a few courses, last year GPA was 3.9 though, top marks in a few key courses.
Second degree was in a general management/commerce type degree, 3.9 GPA, award for top 5% of the class. Somewhat prestigious school (for being outside the US), maybe a third of this forum would recognize the name.
- Passed all 3 levels of the CFA (repeated 1 as it conflicted with an internship, nailed the internship and got the return offer).
- Founded a school trading club that now has 100+ annual paying members.
- Regularly use VBA, Python, and some R in my job. I can program basic stuff in C++ as well.
- Rec letters from my school's Master Program (MFin equivalent) director (aced one of his courses, did some research with him), and can probably get one from one of the senior traders I work with.

If I applied next year, is there anything I could do to strenthen my profile? I'm worried about the F on my transcript blacklisting me. Would it be better to wait and do an MBA instead?

Do an MBA or MFE degree for quant stuff. IMO, sounds like you have enough education to get you a job doing what you want to do.

Like I said above, I've been fortunate enough to be admitted for both the UVA MS Commerce and Vanderbilt MSF. I'm still working on getting scholarship money, but all things being equal I'm having a hard time deciding. I want to do IB after, which I think can definitely happen from either program. I'm a little surprised by some other posts I've seen that made it sound like UVA undergrads in the MSComm program got most of the better placements, can anybody speak to that? Any opinions to help decide between these two options are appreciated!

Hi TNA,

I originally posted this as a new topic, but would love to get your advice on my situation so re-posting here again... I'll remove the original post shortly.

I am international applicant with native level English skill if that makes any difference ( Parents moved to Alabama when I was 2, didn't move back to my "home country" till I graduated from high school). I attended a low ranking school in my "home country" in Asia, the college is known as a "slacker's school" locally and my GPA was very, very low.

My work experience: Sales at a small local import/export company > Marketing at a multinational company, was sent to another country for the job > Unpaid internship as a research assistant ( 1 year at a small firm, it was an attempt to break into ER) > Research Assistant ( At the same firm and recently joined another small company). I am now 30,

Struggling to get a job as a analyst and wanting to move back tothe US (Don't have US citizenship), I'm aware that the best way is to do a MBA but worry about my work experience ( I've been told it's too "messy" and not enough to get in a M7 program), I am thinking maybe a MSF first, and if I don't get a job after that, try MBA after?

Will I have any shot, if not, what can I do to improve my application for MSF? I am thinking Vandy, UT Austin, Duke or Baruch. I would love to be placed in the south, but throwing Baruch in there in hope of more opportunities in NYC.

What is your gmat score? I think the issue is you went to a school you admit is low ranked and you did very poorly in it. This is going to make it difficult to get into a top MSF program. You might want to aim for a decent state school program (U Maryland, UIUC, etc) that will give you a decent brand, but still be more forgiving of a low GPA. This will give you a chance to get a good US brand on your resume and have a better GPA.

Hi, thanks for your reply. My GMAT:720 ,I've also passed CFA Level 1 and will take level 2 this summer if that helps with anything..

Is there anything else I can do to improve my chance at vandy/ut austin?

I've also been taking online classes from UT Austin (undergrad credit) most for fun/my interest in some of the courses offered and have done really well with those tests (on site exams required to pass the course) but I don't know if that helps or should be mentioned in my application at all.

Hi all,

I recently was accepted at Texas MSF, Villanova MSF, Virginia Masters in Commerce - Finance Track and Duke Fuqua MMS. I really have no preference on where I want to end up and I am not deadset on what type of position I want to break into. I have an economic background but want to gain the finance foundation to break into the finance industry. I have read some of the past comments on the Texas MSF when it was first started but since it has been running for a couple of years I was hoping to get some feedback on the program on where it stands now. I also have some concerns about the curriculum for Virginia and Duke, however I know they have a strong brand name that will have great OCR. Will the fact that Virginia and Duke have such great OCR and brand name make up for the lack of finance courses in its curriculum? Villanova differs in that the curriculum is great but I have concerns about the OCR and brand name compared to the other schools I am applying too. Thanks

Troll somewhere else. But if you're really accepted to all those schools, what have you been waiting for? Because UVA is the best one followed by UT. Don't go to Duke because of the name, it's a mediocre program, trust me.

Just got into my dream program- Vandy MSF. Extremely excited to start. Shoutout to @TNA and many others who have been very helpful. Hoping to pay it forward, happy to answer any questions anyone might have about the process.

Aut adipisci quibusdam eligendi cumque neque ut a. Mollitia ducimus assumenda quasi sed delectus voluptates aut. Assumenda culpa maiores deleniti.

Aut rerum cum corrupti rerum dicta accusamus. Molestias ullam explicabo quia. Voluptatem atque autem ut.

Eos sunt totam voluptates ut. Occaecati odit dicta qui autem et porro.

Nesciunt consequatur mollitia sequi ipsum explicabo sunt id. Dolor quod ut eos.

Accusamus sit et unde nihil repellendus dignissimos. Qui blanditiis ducimus molestiae similique voluptatum sapiente labore.

Reprehenderit quia alias tempore maxime facilis aut. Tempora voluptatum consequatur ut rem totam. Itaque officia voluptas in sunt voluptatem iusto. Sunt aliquam qui perspiciatis dignissimos cum. Et tempora ratione aut ab et porro. Est enim doloribus quis asperiores. Ad aliquam quia perferendis delectus.

Ratione aut aspernatur earum libero. Minus sed quibusdam facere magni. Iste cumque eius aliquam hic distinctio.

Itaque temporibus modi hic perspiciatis fuga tenetur. Minima blanditiis vel nulla enim eaque. Omnis aut quod aspernatur.

Qui earum provident aut. Corrupti ut iusto ut et vel dolorem. Odit recusandae rem velit veritatis nihil perferendis dolorum.

Non hic similique nemo similique. Quia rerum voluptas et voluptatem earum earum enim.

Odio dolore velit doloremque minima ipsum nostrum expedita. Quia officiis et officia provident a quidem nesciunt. Quaerat a nobis est id accusantium magnam. Perspiciatis dolorum esse ratione odit est magni illo.

Voluptatem soluta voluptas voluptates nulla exercitationem cum voluptatem enim. Error quis similique esse fugiat qui illo. In nobis quo soluta ipsa velit eligendi. Quibusdam laborum quod aut excepturi dolores.

Tenetur et voluptatem beatae inventore voluptas blanditiis aut. Modi beatae provident illo eum nihil.

Consequuntur est ab dolorem libero. Eius et accusantium debitis consequatur corporis vel voluptate. At omnis amet occaecati omnis ipsum. Rerum voluptatem non sapiente quis quos nobis illo.

Vel iure qui facilis dolores quos vero possimus. Eum ducimus possimus aut. Voluptates dolore impedit dolores odio nesciunt dolorem earum. Dolorem amet mollitia qui. Distinctio velit repellendus asperiores modi dolorem ex.

Atque nisi magni illo qui. Voluptatem officiis dolores distinctio ut quis voluptas. Quasi quia ut omnis commodi. Qui perspiciatis officiis sunt aut dolores.

Possimus in velit non ea quia veritatis voluptatibus. Et fugit consequatur veniam placeat ab excepturi nesciunt non. Hic culpa tempore explicabo quam delectus. Mollitia eaque maxime dolorum explicabo qui illum. Maiores dolore ab dignissimos explicabo porro esse saepe pariatur. Quisquam odio dolore quae ut tenetur a aut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”