MSF Class of 2018

I created the last post about this time so I thought it would be a good time to get a new thread going. With many MSF/MMS programs starting their application cycle in the next couple of months I wanted to provide a place where people can post their profiles, ask questions or seek help. I've done this for the past 3 years and I think a lot of people have found it helpful. I hope this year is the same!

http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/msf-class-o…

Ask away!

Do you need to have CPA or show progress towards it in order to work at big 4 tas/Valuation after your msf? I see so many big 4 tas jobs on the Internet that require you to pass the cpa or show show progress towards it which is disheartening since i have no interest in cpa. I'm more inclined towards CFA and would like to invest all my time in gaining the charterholder instead. Does CFA suffice?

@TNA" Hey I know I'm a little late on this particular thread but I am looking towards the future.

School: Junior at West Coast non target Academics: BA Finance, Cumulative GPA: 3.4 and Major GPA: 3.8 WE: Summer Treasury Analyst at Large healthcare group Summer Commercial Banking Internship at Modeling Courses Goal: Break into IBD, maybe stay the course in Corporate banking

Targets: Vanderbilt, USC, Others I should look at?

Hey Noelle90 -

My roommate works for Big 4 TAS, and he's currently studying for the CFA Level 1 exam. He said the few people who actually asked him understood because he explain that while he enjoys accounting, his heart is more into the finance. Nobody really minds, and some of his superiors have the CFA as well. Hope that helps.

Maximum effort.

Will be applying in First Round for Vandy, UTA, WUSTL, Minnesota. Profile is below. Would love everyone's thoughts/input. Location: Upper Midwest State School (MT, SD,ND, MN) GPA: 3.66 cumulative, no real trend Extracurricular: VP of student investment fund GMAT: Aiming for 690+ Current: Loan Officer at community bank, roughly 2.1B in Assets. Been there full time 1 year after interning there throughout college. Goal: IBD. Doesn't matter boutique, MM, BB. Just want a foot in the door & the chance.

Originally was planning on Law school, but had change of heart mid way through senior year, thus never had the opportunity for an ibd internships, etc.

Thanks for the opinions!

Blast-Off:

Will be applying in First Round for Vandy, UTA, WUSTL, Minnesota. Profile is below. Would love everyone's thoughts/input.
GPA: 3.66 cumulative, no real trend
Extracurricular: VP of student investment fund
GMAT: Aiming for 690+
Current: Loan Officer at community bank, roughly 2.1B in Assets. Been there full time 1 year after interning there throughout college.
Goal: IBD. Doesn't matter boutique, MM, BB. Just want a foot in the door & the chance.

Originally was planning on Law school, but had change of heart mid way through senior year, thus never had the opportunity for an ibd internships, etc.

Thanks for the opinions!

Assuming you get a GMAT in the range you are expecting, I think you'll definitely get into Minnesota, with a 90% at all the other schools. 1 year of work experience in credit is solid and makes up for no internship. 3.7 GPA is strong and higher than the average at the schools and a 690 would put you on solid ground. Being a domestic student will help as well.

Would be great if I could get some input on my profile for Oxford MFE, LBS MFA, LSE MFin Canadian Business Undergrad GPA: 3.8 GMAT: 730 Extracurricular: bunch of club positions, nothing amazing though Internships: S&T last summer, F500 this summer

Feel like what I'm lacking is quant courses (haven't taken anything above 2nd year math) and don't have great academic references Thanks in advance!

cloww:

Would be great if I could get some input on my profile for Oxford MFE, LBS MFA, LSE MFin
Canadian Business Undergrad
GPA: 3.7-3.8
GMAT: 740
Extracurricular: bunch of club positions, nothing amazing though
Internships: S&T last summer, F500 this summer

Feel like what I'm lacking is quant courses (haven't taken anything above 2nd year math) and don't have great academic references
Thanks in advance!

Highly competitive. As long as you hit the prerequisite Quant classes.

For LBS, I think you have a very high chance of getting in provided you ace your interview. If you want to do IB though, they'll grill you on that and you better have a pretty good story about how you intend to break into the industry w/o prior relevant experience. If you're interested in consulting or another area of finance, I'd say you're more or less in. Additionally, you may want to spin your EC or internship experience into making it sound more "leadership-like". LBS is just obsessed with admitting / nurturing leaders, just read the LBS review and you'll see.

For LSE, it's a bit trickier because you don't have good academic reference. They place a disproportionate amount of weight on academic reference, and since you're a fresh grad, you'd need 2 stellar ones. The odds of you getting in are still very high but there's a small chance of you getting dinged just because of that.

For Oxford, unfortunately I can't say because I'm not familiar with what they look for beyond solid academics, and don't have friends in the program.

If I may also add a bit of unsolicited advice, if you want to work in the UK after graduation, try hard to get into Oxford, with LBS being a very close second. The doors Oxford open, and the strength of the LBS network will make it that much easier. If you were British, LSE would also make sense but the fact is a lot of international students have been struggling to find jobs after doing their MSc there.

Thanks for such a detailed response. For what you said about LBS, I truly do want to do consulting so hopefully it is easier to get in. Do you think I can apply for both their MFA and MiM programs? Oxford is definitely my first choice because of the doors that brand will open, but their minimum requirements seem to be very high (asking for 90% percentile quant on GMAT, 3.6+ gpa, etc).

School: Non-target state school Academics: BA Economics 2.7 CGPA WE: 2 year higher ed accounting upon matriculation, may be moving to a reputable REIT Extracurricular: Founded a fraternity (held leadership positions), member of on-campus investment club, and several other clubs/group GMAT: 740 currently, retesting for 750+

Goal: IBD or corporate finance/Restructuring consulting (FTI, A&M, Alix etc.)

GPA will be the biggest hold-up I'm sure, I do have an explanation partly but doubt it'll sway the needle significantly.

Targets: Vandy, WUSTL, Villanova, UT, USC. I'd like to get your opinion on EU programs LSE, HEC MiM, ESADE, Bocconi.

Ultimately I'd like to go get an MBA, 2 or 3 years post-MSF from Gtown, Johnson, or UVA and transition to a BB; again GPA will be hold up here but hoping MSF GPA will assist in that regard.

Thanks for the help!

Great GMAT.

@tyler2434"

Domestic. GPA is bad, but not horrible. Can you highlight your major GPA? How about an upward swing to highlight?

Work experience is good. I'd say you'd get into nova, be competitive at UTA, struggle and vandy and wustl and have a low probability at USC.

Eu programs would be tough. They tend to give less leeway with grades and gmat.

School: Non-target state school Academics: Poli Sci, 3.4 GPA Exp: Quant summer analyst at F500 biotech, corp dev internship at f500 tech co, just finished ibd SA at a top MM m&a group, accepted full time offer Extracurricular: Fraternity rush committee, founded and incorporated an LLC on campus as a student run mutual fund, placed in top 3 in state for CFA investment research challenge which I led GMAT: aiming for 750+

Goal: enter msf after 3 years in ibd - possibly

GPA will be a hurdle, but I do have valid reasons for it being where it is. Have wanted to be a career banker for a while now, and still want to as of now; considering MSF in the event I don't feel the same way after analyst years.

Targets: USC, UVA, MIT, UTA, WUSTL, Cornell, Georgetown

Thanks for the input

ThatBankerOverThere:

School: Non-target state school
Academics: Poli Sci, 3.4 GPA
Exp: Quant summer analyst at F500 biotech, corp dev internship at f500 tech co, just finished ibd SA at a top MM m&a group, accepted full time offer
Extracurricular: Fraternity rush committee, founded and incorporated an LLC on campus as a student run mutual fund, placed in top 3 in state for CFA investment research challenge which I led
GMAT: aiming for 750+

Goal: enter msf after 3 years in ibd - possibly

GPA will be a hurdle, but I do have valid reasons for it being where it is. Have wanted to be a career banker for a while now, and still want to as of now; considering MSF in the event I don't feel the same way after analyst years.

Targets: USC, UVA, MIT, UTA, WUSTL, Cornell, Georgetown

Thanks for the input

GPA is fine. If you get a GMAT like that you will be solid. Don't do an msf after 3 years banking. Do an MBA.

Have heard the same. Is it just the value add that is greater? Assuming I get partner track at my MM - which I would be totally on board with as of now - I probably wouldn't need to erase my shitty ug name. But if I needed to rebrand my education, would it be wiser to take the 1 year msf or 2 year mba? Common sense says mba but the one year difference could make a difference. Not entirely sure

FYI top 3 in state for CFA challenge isn't much to brag about. Usually each state only has 5 universities, at most, compete. So you placed 3 out of 5 in your state, which is out of out of 50 states, which is out of 100+ countries that compete.

TNA,

Thank you for doing this! I'd really love your input on my profile.

School: Non-Target State School (ranked top 40 in country by Bloomberg, not sure if that means anything but thought I might as well throw it out there)

Academics: Finance Major, 3.4 cumGPA, 3.6 Major GPA (I didn't get into business school until my junior year and spent my first year and half at college as a microbiology major). *Strong upward trend in cumGPA

Experience: I had a sophomore summer internship in commercial lending at a commercial bank. I spent my junior year interning for WSO as a content management intern and am now a part-time employee. And for my junior year summer internship I worked at JP Morgan Chase as a summer operations analyst in markets & investor services operations.

EC's: Executive board of fraternity, also received officer of the year from my fraternity. I have a personal stock portfolio as well, I'm very interested in value plays.

GMAT: aiming for 680+

Goal: Equity Research/Investment Management/Private Banking(JPM)

I'm targeting the following MSF programs with Vanderbilt as my #1 choice: Vandy, Nova, MIT, WUSTL, USC, BC, UT

With that profile, I would say you'd get into Nova, most likely Vanderbilt/WUSTL, maybe USC. UT favors non-finance UG's so who knows. BC, probably in, but they are a little odd.

You have a good profile. GPA is fine. Domestic student. Good internships. Solid EC's. Assuming your GMAT is in line, you have decent rec's and your essays don't suck, you should be good.

TNA, thanks so much for spending the time to go through these again. Really great to get your opinion on everything. If you, or anyone else, has a some time to look over my app:

School: Top 10 Undergrad

Academics: STEM and Econ major with a 3.5 GPA. (notable upward trend)

Experience: Pretty weak, sadly. Graduated recently and have been working at a family office with a FoF approach to investing for the past 3 months. In college, about 13 months aggregate over 2 years as a research assistant for 2 different professors in different fields (one early on in college and the other throughout junior year). And a public finance summer analyst position (not junior summer).

ECs: Helped found a fraternity and was the service director for a few years. Tutoring throughout college. A couple of volunteering organizations with no leadership roles.

GMAT: Practice test around 720 so hopefully 700+

Goal: IBD or ER

Programs of interest: MIT, WUSTL, Vandy, Nova, USC,

Frankly, I would love to go through the curriculum of a MSF but would rather lateral. Any thoughts on how my prospects of that look in about the next year?

Cratorex:

TNA, thanks so much for spending the time to go through these again. Really great to get your opinion on everything.
If you, or anyone else, has a some time to look over my app:

School: Top 10 Undergrad

Academics: STEM and Econ major with a 3.5 GPA. (notable upward trend)

Experience: Pretty weak, sadly. Graduated recently and have been working at a family office with a FoF approach to investing for the past 3 months.
In college, about 13 months aggregate over 2 years as a research assistant for 2 different professors in different fields (one early on in college and the other throughout junior year). And a public finance summer analyst position (not junior summer).

ECs: Helped found a fraternity and was the service director for a few years. Tutoring throughout college. A couple of volunteering organizations with no leadership roles.

GMAT: Practice test around 720 so hopefully 700+

Goal: IBD or ER

Programs of interest: MIT, WUSTL, Vandy, Nova, USC,

Frankly, I would love to go through the curriculum of a MSF but would rather lateral. Any thoughts on how my prospects of that look in about the next year?

Personally, I would focus on networking and breaking into banking without a graduate degree. You have the education to do so. Assuming that isn't feasible, then I would say you should target MIT, Vanderbilt and USC (that is if you want West Coast finance).

Top 10 UG - solid. GPA is fine. Tutoring is a good EC to have. The research in school would help you with fellowship applications. I'd say if you get a 690 or above, you'd get into Vanderbilt, WUSTL, USC and Nova. If you get in the 720 range I think MIT becomes more of a lock. You should still apply with any gmat score above a 680, but the higher you get, the better your odds.

Good luck!

School: Private liberal arts school, T2 according to the Barron's. Well known but only on the west coast. Academics: double major in international business administration and music with a 3.84 overall. Honors program within the school of business. Experience: 1 year as branch intern for a brokerage firm. SA in operations at a top AM. Currently Business Director for a local non profit during this school year.

ECs: founder and president of a music-related club. Member of a sorority and occasionally show up to investment club meetings. Member of on campus choir and other ensembles with my instrument.

GMAT: haven't taken, hoping to be taking in mid to late October. SAT score was 2160 so some people say take the proportion of that? My math section on SAT was 740 if that helps.

Goal: get more specialized finance knowledge than I had In undergrad as well as connections from a better school

Programs of interest: LSE, Oxford Said, HEC, NYU, MIT, Cornell

bankrobber:

School: Private liberal arts school, T2 according to the Barron's. Well known but only on the west coast.
Academics: double major in international business administration and music with a 3.84 overall. Honors program within the school of business.
Experience: 1 year as branch intern for a brokerage firm. SA in operations at a top AM. Currently Business Director for a local non profit during this school year.

ECs: founder and president of a music-related club. Member of a sorority and occasionally show up to investment club meetings. Member of on campus choir and other ensembles with my instrument.

GMAT: haven't taken, hoping to be taking in mid to late October. SAT score was 2160 so some people say take the proportion of that? My math section on SAT was 740 if that helps.

Goal: get more specialized finance knowledge than I had In undergrad as well as connections from a better school

Programs of interest: LSE, Oxford Said, HEC, NYU, MIT, Cornell

So you have a very special profile. 1) being a woman is huge since all these programs are like 90% guys. 2) The liberal arts school, dual major in business and music, the EC's, the internships, all great. GPA is strong.

IMO, supposing you get a GMAT in the high 600's/low 700's, you will get into just about all the schools you apply to. Not sure which program you are looking into at Cornell/NYU. They have MFE programs, which I do not think you qualify for. MIT, 100% apply. The UK programs would love you. I'd look at LBS's MS in Financial Analytics as well. I would drop HEC though.

The schools you are looking at all have great brands. That being said, unless you are a European or UK citizen, only MIT is really going to help you get a finance job in the US. Maybe look at Northwestern, Duke, Michigan, UVA, for their MSM programs (or UVA's MS Commerce). All would give you that top tier brand and a graduate degree. UVA would especially be a good fit.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the response, it helps a lot. If you don't mind a couple clarification questions - why drop HEC? Also, what about my application would make the UK schools like me, so I know what to highlight the most on my application? Finally, I did receive a full time offer for the AM firm I worked for, but it's in operations and doesn't seem to have a whole lot of upward mobility. Still, I'd be getting paid instead of paying for an MSF. Which do you think is more worth it?

Does anyone know which MSF gets recruited for Big 4 TAS positions and my chances?

Profile: Non target UC school (California) Major- Accounting GPA- 3.7 ECs- President/Founder of Personal Finance Club, VP of Beta Alpha Psi, VP of social fraternity Internships- EY Audit and Audit/Tax internship with local CPA firm GMAT- still studying

nbd786:

Does anyone know which MSF gets recruited for Big 4 TAS positions and my chances?

Profile:
Non target UC school (California)
Major- Accounting
GPA- 3.7
ECs- President/Founder of Personal Finance Club, VP of Beta Alpha Psi, VP of social fraternity
Internships- EY Audit and Audit/Tax internship with local CPA firm
GMAT- still studying

Honestly, all the programs that have Big 4 UG recruiting. I've seen TAS hire from Villanova, Vanderbilt, WUSTL, and Ohio State. I have no doubt you could get it from USC, UVA and other schools.

Hey @TNA" , just wanted to check, I'm looking at applying to Vandy but I'm looking at getting my application in at the second round. How much of an effect does applying in the second or later rounds have on your admission chances?

keyboardb:

Hey @TNA , just wanted to check, I'm looking at applying to Vandy but I'm looking at getting my application in at the second round. How much of an effect does applying in the second or later rounds have on your admission chances?

Won't have too much of an impact. I like 1st round because it lets you have an acceptance to shop around. Big difference is between 1 and 3 round.

School: Top 10 business undergrad (Bloomberg ranking) Majors: Finance & MIS with a minor in Business Analytics GPA: 3.3 (Cumulative), 3.4 (Finance), 3.8 (MIS) GMAT: 690 (probably going to retake to get 730+) ECs: Several business clubs and president of a social club Internships: Financial Analyst at a large public pharmaceutical company, PE Analyst (part-time) at a search fund Current Job: Analyst at a REPE fund (credit focused strategies)

Programs of interest: MIT, Vandy, WUSTL, UVA, Cornell, Georgetown

Thanks for your help!

damitkwr:

School: Top 10 business undergrad (Bloomberg ranking)
Majors: Finance & MIS with a minor in Business Analytics
GPA: 3.3 (Cumulative), 3.4 (Finance), 3.8 (MIS)
GMAT: 690 (probably going to retake to get 730+)
ECs: Several business clubs and president of a social club
Internships: Financial Analyst at a large public pharmaceutical company, PE Analyst (part-time) at a search fund
Current Job: Analyst at a REPE fund (credit focused strategies)

Thanks for your help!

I'd say you are on the bubble for me giving you an all clear for Vandy/WUSTL. You are a business grad so UVA is out (unless you are looking at their MS Global Commerce). Probably in at Gtown. Probably not at MIT. Not sure which Cornell program you are looking at though.

GMAT at the 710-720 range would help, but not huge. Like I don't think it gets you into MIT at that level. Maybe boosts you for Vanderbilt/WUSTL though.

damitkwr:

School: Top 10 business undergrad (Bloomberg ranking)
Majors: Finance & MIS with a minor in Business Analytics
GPA: 3.3 (Cumulative), 3.4 (Finance), 3.8 (MIS)
GMAT: 690 (probably going to retake to get 730+)
ECs: Several business clubs and president of a social club
Internships: Financial Analyst at a large public pharmaceutical company, PE Analyst (part-time) at a search fund
Current Job: Analyst at a REPE fund (credit focused strategies)

Thanks for your help!

if your undergrad school withstands in top 15 MBA ranking lists, stuff other than Cornell and MIT ikely more of a downgrade, because your career office now should have more than enough alumni resources for your next pivot. Bloomberg UG ranking isn't a reliable list

Thank you for your inputs!

The school ranking does not hold in MBA ranking lists but does hold in part-time MBA rankings.

I am considering MSF as an option since I am international with uncertainty over H1-B Visa results. Better hedge than be sorry right?

@TNA What would you say I need to improve on to get better chances at MIT or any other top program?

Hey TNA, thanks for making this thread. I'm not sure where I stand relative to the competition, or whether the MSF is right for me, but am looking at all options.

School: H/Y/P/S/M, currently a senior Major: Economics GPA: 3.7/4.0 GMAT: N/A (not yet taken) Extracurricular: N/A (don't wish to disclose, but strong) Internships: Elite Boutique IBD in New York, no full-time return offer

Targeting MIT. Thoughts?

throwaway_999:

Hey TNA, thanks for making this thread. I'm not sure where I stand relative to the competition, or whether the MSF is right for me, but am looking at all options.

School: H/Y/P/S/M, currently a senior
Major: Economics
GPA: 3.7/4.0
GMAT: N/A (not yet taken)
Extracurricular: N/A (don't wish to disclose, but strong)
Internships: Elite Boutique IBD in New York, no full-time return offer

Targeting MIT. Thoughts?

Keep applying and target MIT. You have the GPA and school brand. Make sure you have the required math classes. Gives you optionality. Outside of that I don't know. You don't want brand devaluation this early. Keep grinding.

use your network wisely. if you're HYPS, sorry I don't know if M is MIT, then you should have a huge network that is handing jobs away comparing to nontarget and probably MIT MSF too.

Think about a different equation to network towards your career.

Hey @TNA and everybody else thanks for this post and thread,

Current finance senior at a north east non target school would like opinion on schools that I should apply and have a good shot at being accepted.

GRE 146Q,145V.... yes I know horrendous, suffer from extreme standarized test anxiety will not have time to retake it before applications nor do I think I can improve without therapy (yes its that bad)

GPA Cumulative is 3.9 Major GPA (Finance) is 4.0

Experience: Summer BO for a BB in their tech division, Summer for a fin planning shop, Co-founder/intern for schools vale investing endowment fund similar to what Yale has (serious fund by that I mean we work with and are under a BB, contracts with the fund school, etc...trying to say that its not a club/small group)

Can get solid recommendations from professors/Finance professionals. Resume is designed and created for finance jobs (*I did xy and results were z)

Looking to stay in the North East preferably in the NYC as I am from their and don't want to shell out on other living expenses. Looking to enter the IB world (if needed) and end up on the buy side for a HF.

Is the GRE going to end up fucking me over or do I have a shot at a few good schools. Once again thx everybody

+1SB for you TNA seems ur the MSF guru.

Silverback__Monkey:

Hey @TNA and everybody else thanks for this post and thread,

Current finance senior at a north east non target school would like opinion on schools that I should apply and have a good shot at being accepted.

GRE 146Q,145V.... yes I know horrendous, suffer from extreme standarized test anxiety will not have time to retake it before applications nor do I think I can improve without therapy (yes its that bad)

GPA Cumulative is 3.9
Major GPA (Finance) is 4.0

Experience:
Summer BO for a BB in their tech division,
Summer for a fin planning shop,
Co-founder/intern for schools vale investing endowment fund similar to what Yale has (serious fund by that I mean we work with and are under a BB, contracts with the fund school, etc...trying to say that its not a club/small group)

Can get solid recommendations from professors/Finance professionals. Resume is designed and created for finance jobs (*I did xy and results were z)

Looking to stay in the North East preferably in the NYC as I am from their and don't want to shell out on other living expenses. Looking to enter the IB world (if needed) and end up on the buy side for a HF.

Is the GRE going to end up fucking me over or do I have a shot at a few good schools. Once again thx everybody

+1SB for you TNA seems ur the MSF guru.

So. I have a excel GRE conversion tool and that came out to like a 400 GMAT. With that you will be seriously hindered. I would do one of two things.

1) Get a medical diagnosis and try and get an exclusion from the test. I think this is probably doable considering your GPA.

2) Assuming you cannot get a formal diagnosis, get letters from professors, something from a counselor, stuff from high school, whatever to make your case and directly talk to adcoms.

Without doing the above you'll be basically auto-dinged. Normally, I would say use your optional essay to explain this, but your score is too low to wait for the application essays. You need to head this off.

Assuming you get some traction with the above, I think you'd be competitive at a lot of schools. Without that, you'll get shot down from most programs off the bat.

Agree with TNA but I have one question, how did you get a 3.9 GPA with testing anxiety so bad that you got a GRE that I could've achieved in 6th grade? I am not even trying to roast you or disrespect you, my GPA was far lower than that. I am genuinely curious

Array

Hey thanks for doing this.

School: small liberal arts in Midwest GPA: 3.5 cumulative, 3.8 Finance Major Extracurricular: Student govt, Social Chair (not strong) GMAT: Aiming for 700 WE: internship at small boutique investment fund, almost 1 yr as financial analyst at a decently-established startup(left due to Visa), just started recently in IB at a local firm in South East Asia. Goal: Investment Management/HF Status: international

Would love to hear your thoughts on whether I should stick to the Analyst program for 2 years then try at Msf or apply to the current cycle now?

Thanks again. Much appreciated

klimaz308:

Hey thanks for doing this.

School: small liberal arts in Midwest
GPA: 3.5 cumulative, 3.8 Finance Major
Extracurricular: Student govt, Social Chair (not strong)
GMAT: Aiming for 700
WE: internship at small boutique investment fund, almost 1 yr as financial analyst at a decently-established startup(left due to Visa), just started recently in IB at a local firm in South East Asia.
Goal: Investment Management/HF

Would love to hear your thoughts on whether I should stick to the Analyst program for 2 years then try at Msf or apply to the current cycle now?

Thanks again. Much appreciated

Hmmm. Decent GPA (nice that your major GPA is higher). Liberal arts school in the Midwest is good. Check to see if your school has a connection to Claremont McKenna. You might be able to apply to their MSF if you do.

Work experience is nice. If your GMAT is in that range you'll be competitive. Weaker EC's, but that is a nominal impact on your application. Being an international is going to make it harder for you.

I'd suggest two courses of action.

1) Apply to only the best US MSF programs that place kids in banking.

2) Apply to US programs that are well known overseas. Basically hedging your bets in case you need to go back home and work.

In case 1, I think you could be competitive at Vanderbilt, WUSTL, etc. In case 2, I think you'll be more than fine at UIUC, JHU, OSU, etc. Make sure you get scholarship money or something since these programs are expensive and have limited career services.

Good call on the hedging route. Will definitely look into schools that are known back home.

My main concern, however is: would it hurt me in any way if I delay my application till next year (class of 2019, I'd be coming in with 3 years FT exp)?

From my research, 2 years FT exp seems to be the max (with some exceptions, but think that's more specific to individual's background)

My reasonings for applying later: more time to work on GMAT, EC. more deal/modeling exp. more knowledge on my country market (which might be useful when applying to those funds that want emerging market exposure). Also, maybe a long shot but I kinda want to wait it out on a fix to the H1b program to improve my odds (it may be worse though)

Your threads on the Msf programs have been really useful. Cant say enough thanks, TNA.

Thanks a lot for doing this.

Canadian engineering student (graduating April 2017) looking to get into IB (Canada or UK).

School: Canadian target Major: Engineering GPA: 3.8/4.0 GMAT: 780 (AWA6.0, IR8, Q51, V48) Extracurricular: several student groups that provide consulting services, student investment fund Internships: oil and gas (16 mo internship), pharma (4 mo internship), academic research (8 mo)

Targeting: Oxford MFE, LBS MFA, LSE, HEC

Would like your thoughts on admission chances. Also, what other schools could I realistically use to get into London IB? How do IE, Bocconi, St Gallen stack up? Not looking into US, because the costs are too high (my limit is ~USD 65K)

taranjka:

Thanks a lot for doing this.

Canadian engineering student (graduating April 2017) looking to get into IB (Canada or UK).

School: Canadian target
Major: Engineering
GPA: 3.8/4.0
GMAT: 780 (AWA6.0, IR8, Q51, V48)
Extracurricular: several student groups that provide consulting services, student investment fund
Internships: oil and gas (16 mo internship), pharma (4 mo internship), academic research (8 mo)

Targeting: Oxford MFE, LBS MFA, LSE, HEC

Would like your thoughts on admission chances.
Also, what other schools could I realistically use to get into London IB? How do IE, Bocconi, St Gallen stack up?
Not looking into US, because the costs are too high (my limit is ~USD 65K)

I think I answered this question on another forum, but I will do my best here. GPA and GMAT are stellar. Bonus points for a hard major. You'd most likely get into Bocconi and also get funds because of your gmat score. I think you'll get into LSE, especially since they tend to be pretty open to international students. LBS MFA is pretty new and I think they would like your stats. I think you'll also be pretty competitive with Oxford as well.

One thing you left out, which is important, is citizenship. If you are Canadian, I would look at Queens, Toronto, etc. Top Canadian schools. Citizenship really is a big issue. I feel like I repeat myself (which I do), but going to school in the UK or Europe doesn't really make it easy to get a job there for non-citizens. If you have prior connections there, dual citizenship or the ability to camp out and grind, then ok, but if you expect to do the traditional recruiting process you will find yourself hitting a brick wall.

If you do a foreign program, make sure it is well respected and represented back in Canada because you'll most likely end up back there for a FT position.

Thank you for your response.

I am Canadian, but have not considered Canadian programs because they require experience in finance (except McGill, but its program just launched, hence is unproven).

I was betting on the Youth Mobility Visa for work in the UK. Not sure if banks accept this Visa or otherwise sponsor students.

Sorry but this is a horrible answer TNA.

Having done my undergrad and graduate degree at the schools mentioned by taranja I can say:

• There is a number of canadians at these schools with similar backgrounds
  • The MSF helps them to place well and every Canadian I know managed to get a top SA gig in London
  • Working in London I have barely met any Canadian (in a junior position) that did is MSF at a top canadian school and landed a gig in London out of school

Hi there,

Thank you very much for creating this thread. I'd love to get your opinion on my current profile and chances for the following programs:

• London Business School (MSc Financial Analysis)
  • London School of Economics (MSc Finance)
  • Vanderbilt: Owen (MS Finance)
  • Oxford: Saïd (MSc Financial Economics)
  • MIT: Sloan (Master of Finance)

My profile details are below: - Education: BS Business Economics, 1.446/5.000 (within top 7.5% of class; magna cum laude) - GMAT: T770 Q49 V47 AWA3.5 IR8 (2nd take, initial: T730 Q47 V44 AWA5 IR8) - TOEFL: 116 (R30 L30 S28 W28) - Founded an inter-university finance organisation (grew from a pilot of 50 to now 800 members over 2 years, partnering with three other universities; accounts for almost 2% of all retail equity accounts belonging to Filipinos below 30) - Financial Services & Risk Management Advisory Intern at EY (derivatives structuring & valuation, conducted VCAs and credit risk research on Philippine agriculture and energy) - Passed FRM Part 1 (top quartile in all areas) - National semi-finalist in a McKinsey & Co. case competition (restructuring and relaunching bank remittances business), and national semi-finalist in a valuation competition - Executive positions in other organisations

Thank you very much!

I think you'd be competitive for just about all the schools. Top class honors is great. Super strong GMAT. All the brand names you have will grab people's eyes. I'd focus on recommendations and selling the essays. I would say LSE is going to be the "easiest" to get into, with MIT and Said be being the most difficult. You really stand out and check all the boxes, just need to humanize yourself on the essays and get solid recommendations from people.

Hey TNA, thanks for doing this!

School: Ranked no.1 in the country Major: Economics & Political Science GPA: 3.1 currently, aiming to end with a 3.3+. (very strong upward trend, started with a 2.35 due to semi-pro/pro soccer commitments during my first year) GRE: 320+ in practice tests, with a 164+ (166 highest currently) in Quant, hoping for a 325+ with a 165+Q

Extracurricular & Work Experience: - Captain of the Soccer Team (Varsity), team best player 3 years in a row. - Junior Year Internship, Citibank, Investment Banking Division - Consultant for family real estate lending business where I have been dealing with clients, negotiating and drafting contracts, interacting with lawyers, dealing with any issues that come up etc. I have successfully managed to bring revenue up by 41% in last year. (could put a different spin on this if you think this could help) - Worked as a social media consultant for a university incubated startup focusing on the healthcare sector. - USAID intern consultant for NGO certification within the country.

Target Schools: - Imperial College, MSc Finance - UCL, Management - Warwick, MSc Finance - LBS, MSc Management/Financial Analysis - HEC Paris, MiM/MS Finance - ESADE, MiM/Finance - Vanderbilt, MS Finance - Columbia, MSc Financial Economics - Kellogg, Management - USC, MS Finance - WUSL - UT Dallas & Austin

Aim is Investment Banking/Management Consulting. I would love to hear any feedback you have, or help you could provide regarding these schools, or ones i should be applying to.

Also, since most of these are one year programs, will my GPA affect my chances at recruitment since I wont have my masters GPA to show when companies come to campus.

Thanks!

heebie jeebie:

Hey TNA, thanks for doing this!

School: Ranked no.1 in the country
Major: Economics & Political Science
GPA: 3.1 currently, aiming to end with a 3.3+. (very strong upward trend, started with a 2.35 due to semi-pro/pro soccer commitments during my first year)
GRE: 320+ in practice tests, with a 164+ (166 highest currently) in Quant, hoping for a 325+ with a 165+Q

Extracurricular & Work Experience:
- Captain of the Soccer Team (Varsity), team best player 3 years in a row.
- Junior Year Internship, Citibank, Investment Banking Division
- Consultant for family real estate lending business where I have been dealing with clients, negotiating and drafting contracts, interacting with lawyers, dealing with any issues that come up etc. I have successfully managed to bring revenue up by 41% in last year. (could put a different spin on this if you think this could help)
- Worked as a social media consultant for a university incubated startup focusing on the healthcare sector.
- USAID intern consultant for NGO certification within the country.

Target Schools:
- Imperial College, MSc Finance
- UCL, Management
- Warwick, MSc Finance
- LBS, MSc Management/Financial Analysis
- HEC Paris, MiM/MS Finance
- ESADE, MiM/Finance
- Vanderbilt, MS Finance
- Columbia, MSc Financial Economics
- Kellogg, Management
- USC, MS Finance
- WUSL
- UT Dallas & Austin

Aim is Investment Banking/Management Consulting. I would love to hear any feedback you have, or help you could provide regarding these schools, or ones i should be applying to.

Also, since most of these are one year programs, will my GPA affect my chances at recruitment since I wont have my masters GPA to show when companies come to campus.

Thanks!

Lot going on in this post.

School ranking is good. Better programs get more cred from adcoms. GPA isn't THAT big of an issue, but if you get it to a 3.3 and have a upward trajectory along with say a higher major GPA you should be ok. Do the best on your GRE as that will help offset the GPA. Being an athlete is huge. Citi IBD internship is big. Love all the EC's and stuff.

Your list is way too big. Unless you are international or have EU/UK citizenship, I would simply avoid the UK/EU programs. If you are wealthy, well connected and really looking for an international experience, then fine, look at them. But if you are expecting a job in the US from these programs, focus on the places where you have the least barriers. So, assuming you are a domestic student, that means US programs.

Forget UTD. If Dallas is what you like, substitute SMU. Columbia's program is two years and really a PhD-lite program. Unless you love it, I would remove it. I think your UG ranking and major/minor would make you interesting to the MMS/MSB programs. Northwestern is too new for me to really be able to gauge, but I think it is worth you applying. I would also look at UMich and ND since they are all well ranked, well recruited and in the same vein as NW MMS. I think you would be competitive also, but make sure to really sell the social responsibility aspect of your profile for ND.

USC is getting more career focuses so they might forgive the lower GPA assuming you have frame it the correct way. They like well known UG's so your school should help you there. I think you'd be good at UTA. Vandy/WUSTL, your odds go up depending on their class years. I would say you'd have a better shot at Vandy than WUSTL, simply for the fact that career services has a strong voice in admissions and they will love your Citi IBD experience.

On a side note, please consider simply networking and grinding. You have the school name, you have the internships, your GPA is fine. You could really keep pushing and most likely land at a good shop. Food for thought.

thank you for the reply! that was very helpful.

a few points, i AM an international student, from Pakistan. I should've mentioned that before, and i want to work abroad, either in the UK but preferably the US. This is why i'm applying to schools in the UK and Europe as well. I know that if i want to work in the US, getting into a college there would be better.

Being an international student, would any of your remarks change? Or does all of this still hold?

Thank you again!

I have another question for you TNA. And thanks for answering the previous one. This isn't about me but what if a person goes to MSF program with 2 years of experience(24 yo, graduates at 25)? You may suggest an MBA instead but that experience was mainly gained in audit and isn't solid enough for a top mba. Would it be okay to pick the MSF instead and transition to IB/Valuation/tas/equity research and work for another 4-5 years and then apply for an MBA at 30? What would you do?

Noelle90:

I have another question for you TNA. And thanks for answering the previous one. This isn't about me but what if a person goes to MSF program with 2 years of experience(24 yo, graduates at 25)? You may suggest an MBA instead but that experience was mainly gained in audit and isn't solid enough for a top mba. Would it be okay to pick the MSF instead and transition to IB/Valuation/tas/equity research and work for another 4-5 years and then apply for an MBA at 30? What would you do?

Depends on your game plan. I agree with your thought process though. You need to consider not just how much work you have, but the quality. Saying "3 years or more = MBA, absolutely" is incorrect. If you have three years of experience that is something that can get you into an MBA program, then don't do an MSF. But if you have mediocre experience, the MSF might be a good bridge. And to be frank, of all the thousands of MSF's I know, probably less that 50 have gone and done an MBA. Truth be told, once you get into your chosen field and start working people consider the MSF to be a graduate degree and don't really care anymore. Also, if you go into MM banking/PE, people tend to be less brand snobby and just value your ability to do work.

Thanks TNA for this! It's a very helpful post.

I was thinking of applying for MSF in USA, haven't chosen some particular college list but my focus would be on very good programs like Vandy,Boston College or other good options. Would really like help in this regard.

Profile -

School - Private College in my home country India that comes under top 20 private colleges in the country.

Program - Bachelor's in Computer Science, with a CGPA of 6.8(74 percentile). * *NOTE - Due to my mother being hospitalized for 4 years due to stroke, I could not focus on my studies,
the fact which is reflected in the massive drop in grades which started in 2nd semester. My high school and Senior Secondary school are top notch, which may help me in this regard (Would need confirmation on this)

Experience - Started working from August 2015 in GlobalLogic as an analyst. No work ex in finance, still looking for internships as a financial analyst/IB

GMAT - Gave it two years ago and secured a 680 with mild preparations. Can consider giving it once more if chances of cracking good colleges are positive.

TOEFL - 107

Career Goals - Not any particular goals, but prefer to go into portfolio management or PE/Hedge funds.

Co-Curricular Activities - Like mentioned, due to circumstances couldn't be active in my college. Don't really know if high school achievements count, but I was the founder of Quiz Club, member of Debating Society and won quizzes and prizes related to Astronomy.

Recommendations - Would get solid recommendation from my college Economic Professor, as well as a Google
Manager with whom I'm currently working.

Kindly let me know the best options available for my current profile. Please do not be shy in being brutally honest with me :).

Regards Piyush Kathuria

Piyush Kathuria:

Thanks TNA for this! It's a very helpful post.

I was thinking of applying for MSF in USA, haven't chosen some particular college list but my focus would be on very good programs like Vandy,Boston College or other good options. Would really like help in this regard.

Profile -

School - Private College in my home country India that comes under top 20 private colleges in the country.

Program - Bachelor's in Computer Science, with a CGPA of 6.8(74 percentile). *
*NOTE - Due to my mother being hospitalized for 4 years due to stroke, I could not focus on my studies,
the fact which is reflected in the massive drop in grades which started in 2nd semester.
My high school and Senior Secondary school are top notch, which may help me in this regard (Would
need confirmation on this)

Experience - Started working from August 2015 in GlobalLogic as an analyst. No work ex in finance, still looking for
internships as a financial analyst/IB

GMAT - Gave it two years ago and secured a 680 with mild preparations. Can consider giving it once more if
chances of cracking good colleges are positive.

TOEFL - 107

Career Goals - Not any particular goals, but prefer to go into portfolio management or PE/Hedge funds.

Co-Curricular Activities - Like mentioned, due to circumstances couldn't be active in my college. Don't really know
if high school achievements count, but I was the founder of Quiz Club, member of
Debating Society and won quizzes and prizes related to Astronomy.

Recommendations - Would get solid recommendation from my college Economic Professor, as well as a Google
Manager with whom I'm currently working.

Kindly let me know the best options available for my current profile. Please do not be shy in being brutally honest with me :).

Regards
Piyush Kathuria

I think your profile would fit with programs like OSU, UIUC, JHU, Brandies/Bentley, etc.

Lower GPA, no finance work experience, limited/no real EC's, no CFA progress, etc. All going to make a tough sell for the top US programs. Being international will also be difficult. I totally understand why your GPA dipped and I think a lot of adcoms will understand as well. You do have work experience, which is good. GMAT is pretty good. You have a compelling story. I'd apply to these good, but not great programs that will have recognition back in India.

Thank you for doing this TNA! Below is my profile.

School: Top 5 private college in South Korea (no-name outside my home country) Major: Double major in Journalism and Business Administration, graduating in 2017 summer

GPA: 3.8/4.5 overall, with 4.0/4.5 since my junior year. With simple math, that would be 3.38/4.0 and 3.56/4.0 respectively

ECs at college: 1) VP of a politics debate club 2) Member of an investment banking club, established a fund within the club with colleagues

Internship experiences: 1) AM at EB, equity investment team, Korea office 2) Boutique PE in Hong Kong (agency hire, so I can't directly state the name of the fund on my resume. I have an explanation for that if asked during an interview) 3) DCM at BB (European bank), Korea office (current)

GMAT: Non yet, aiming for 700+ before October (got 640 for a prep test recently)

Others: 1) IELTS 8.0/9.0 2) Passed CFA Lv.1 3) Served 2 years in Korea Air Force HQ for my national service (2013~2015) 4) Spent 2 sems at a top school in Singapore as an exchange student (finance major) - As my college only accepts letter grades instead of converting them into P/F, my GPA is kind of low compared to my peers in Korea due to harsh grading standard of the Singaporean school

Goal: break into IBD or LevFin. Seeking for location jump

Target: LBS MFA & MiM, LSE, Oxford, HEC Paris, MIT, Vandy, Duke, Washu

Recommendations: I can get 1 from an alum who is LBS student ambassador (assuming that I'm targeting LBS), and 1 from the head of department I'm curretnly doing internship at.

My top priority is LBS MFA, as I've heard international students have higher chances of getting offers in London. Also LBS MFA allows CFA lv.1 instead of GMAT or GRE, so even if I fail hard in GMAT I can still get a shot (but will try to nail 700+ regardless of that, considering that I have to apply for other schools and that 700+ GMAT would be well received compared to CFA Lv.1. Just assuming the worst case scenario)

Any advice would be great! Thank you again for doing this.

I think you have a great profile. The GPA is fine. Your internships and work experience are where you really excel. I think LBS is a good play as well. MIT is worth applying as long as you get that GMAT at or above a 690. I think the military experience, coupled with your work experience would make you very attractive. Definitely an outside the box while still being a core finance student. CFA L1 is great also. IMO, I would drop HEC and Duke is your goal is IBD/LevFin. You have enough good schools and your profile is good enough that you don't need too many schools.

Hey TNA,

thank you a lot for your efforts and intensive care! I would like to hear your recommendation for my MSc. in Finance or Mgmt. study plans. I am from Germany btw.

School: Non-target, but solid ranked unversity Major: Economics B.Sc. with corporate finance major GPA: 3.1/4.0 currently, aiming to end with a 3.3, finance related GPA 3.7/4.0 - both converted from a German scale - might have some bias. GMAT: Working on - Target Score 680/700 Toefl: 110

Extracurricular & Work Experience: - free tution in math for fellow students - internships: Big4 Corporate Tax Services (2month), Big4 Transactions Valuation Services (5month), Big4 Restructuring Advisory (3month) , PE/corporate finance Advisory firm (3month), Pipeline: IBD M&A Internship at tier 2 bank, which I most probably will complete after my thesis in march 2017. - TA for a financial modelling course - Semester abroad in the USA (UC System)

Target Schools: - any target school in the US and Europe. I am more familiar with the European requierments, thererfore I kindly ask you to give me rough outline about my chances on the US labor market and my chances to be accepted for a tier 1-2 US business school program.

Aim is Investment Banking, highly interested in Leveraged Finance.

Thanks!

Good profile. I like the thesis. This will help you with any program that offers a graduate assistantship. They like seeing research and I think having a thesis is a great resume point. Internships are in line and positive. GPA is lower, but not horrible. I'd look at the main EU schools (Bocconi, St. Gallen, SSE, etc). As for US schools, I can see you having good odds at all the tier 1 MSF programs. You'd have to pick where you want to study though (north east, south, etc). I think you might have some difficulty breaking right into banking, but I think you would have a easy time getting into valuation with all your Big 4 experience which will set you up for banking after a little experience if that is what you want to do.

Thanks for doing this, wanting to apply for MSF class of 2018 too.

Currently a student going into my final year at a top-10 UK University studying econ.

Achieved a 1st in my second year, not entirely sure what that is equivalent GPA wise (3.7?). Top 15% of my cohort, don't know exactly where as my university doesn't tell us.

Targeting the following schools, all for MFin, ranked in preference:

LSE (MSc Finance, MSc Accounting & Finance) LBS (MFA) Imperial (MSc Finance) Oxford (MFE) HEC (MSc International Finance) Warwick (MSc Finance)

Currently studying for the GMAT, scoring around 700 on practice tests, have another 1.5 months before I take so aiming for around 720.

Strong EC for my application, strong volunteering, student mentoring, demonstrable interest in finance through attending many finance talks/conferences, analyst for student investment fund, pro bono community consulting through my university.

No finance work experience as of yet but I am throwing all my weight behind getting something for the summer of 2017.

End goal is to place into BB/EB IBD post masters. Chances?

I would say very good chances. Good GPA, targeting a good GMAT. You are going to top 10 UK school which should help with your apps (as opposed to a foreign student applying). With that profile I think you'll get into one of those LSE programs, the LBS MFA and Imperial as well.

Try and get an internship or some tangible experience. Will help your application as well as improving your odds at getting a job.

Thanks for doing this, wanting to apply for MSF class of 2018 as well.

Currently in my final year at a French B-school - GPA : 3.6 (3.71 for my major) GMAT: 680/700 (taking it on October) TOEIC: 970+

Targets schools: HEC (Msc financial economics) LSE (Msc in Finance) Said Business School (Oxford) EMLYON (MS in financial engineering) ESSEC (Msc in financial techniques) ESCP (Advances Master in finance) The Warthon And Maybe Stanford...

Work experience: SA at State Street (ER/Pricing) 6 months FP&A in Insurance Incoming in January 2017 : 6-month internship in M&A and IB Summer Analyst

So, my advice and review is similar to above. Good GPA and target GMAT. Being French and going to French schools should give you an advantage for the French programs. Really can't give too much advice from there. State Street is a good name on the resume. Good you have internships. I feel like Oxford might be a reach, but not 100% sure. You look like you have a decent profile though. I would encourage you to apply to the schools you have listed.

Thank you so much for doing this! I am only a rising junior but will put in my projected stats for graduation. I am doing this so I can get feedback and find out what to improve on while I still have time!

School: Non-target state school (Top 50 UG Business) Academics: BS Business (Duel concentration in Finance & Accounting) GPA: Cum. 3.4 - Major(s) - 3.6 WE: BB PWM Internship (soph summer), Finance department Veterans Services (work-study program) (Off cycle), Business Consulting internship (off cycle), IB SA internship (junior summer) Extracurricular: Fraternity member, corp. finance TA, financial management association member, CFA L1 (Dec 2017), Investment banking society GMAT: N/A Goal: IBD
Targets: I'd honestly just love some feedback on where I should improve and where I should target.

I am wondering if I should try to get more involved in ECs, get more WE, or just straight push GPA!

Thanks for the help!

Pass CFA L1, keep up with the networking and internships. Assuming you have a GMAT in the appropriate range you should be a competitive applicant at all the main programs. IMO, keep networking and interning and you should be able to land a good position without the need for an MSF.

Thanks for doing this

Questions: Does it matter what round you apply? Looking to apply late. Also, where to apply? Should I break into finance first(get a Financial Advisor or Wealth Management job) before I apply? Should I skip the MSF program, work, and then go for MBA?

Going into my senior year Psychology Major GPA: Cumulative GPA: 3.258 Major GPA: 3.9 , Upward trend URM if that matters,

Will be applying to UVA, Northwestern, Duke, and Michigan so far. Haven't looked at other schools. Would love everyone's thoughts/input. Location: Mid-Atlantic State School(top public school in the state) (PA, NJ, NYC, CT) Extracurricular: Pretty weak. Treasurer of club, Public Relations Office of a club, 1 yr leadership at club GMAT: Aiming for 700+ Internship: Project Coordinator for non-profit (Unpaid) (5 months) Current: Pharmacy Technician at top 2 Pharmacy (2 years), Retail Sales Associate at a stadium for a NFL team (4 years) Goal: IBD. Doesn't matter boutique, MM, BB. Just want a foot in the door & the chance. Took Calc 1, Financial Accounting, MIS Currently taking econ

Originally was planning on a health profession school (thus low cGPA because of lack of interest), but had change of heart summer before junior year, applied to all bulge bracket IBD and about 2 MM or boutiques(don't remember) but didn't get anything(didn't know how competitive it was). This was fall/winter of junior year

Thanks for the opinions!

Assuming your GRE/GMAT is above a 650, I think you'll stand a chance at Duke and maybe Michigan. You'll need a 700 or above to be competitive at UVA and Northwestern. I would probably look at Wake as a safety.

Later rounds can either hurt or benefit you. If a school needs a few last applicants, the last round can really help you. If they have a good applicant class, the last round will be used to round out and polish the years class. I recommend either 1st or 2nd rounds to be safe. Third is a crap shoot.

As for advice on MSF vs MBA, it all depends. I don't know if your experience so far and UG profile would be enough for you to break into a T10 MBA program. T11-20, maybe. If you ramp the experience, get a new gig, crush the GMAT, etc, then maybe you crack a top program and go into banking as an associate. If you can't get into a good MBA program you'll be stuck. I think doing an MMS offers a lot of benefits in your case since you didn't study business during UG, you need a nice brand and it will give you a chance to get into a good job that will set you up career wise or at least improve your MBA odds.

Hi and thank you again for helping me out.

School: Business school at a top 10 state school Major: Finance and Economics GPA: 3.5, Major GPA: 3.7

Work Experience and extra curriculars: - Currently enrolled in Fund Oversight at a well-known local mutual fund in Boston and enrolled for the CFA I in December - Completed 3 internships (2 Private wealth management internships) in Boston - 2 leadership positions in fraternity and philanthropy groups (treasurer and recruitment chair) - Completed the Wall Street Prep Program through WSO

Target Schools: - MIT, MSF - Northeastern, MSF - Columbia, MSc Financial Economics - Princeton, MS Finance - Kellogg, Management - USC, MS Finance

My goal is to get into equity research or work in a portfolio management group and would love to hear what route you think I should go down and any school suggestions that you feel would lead me on the right track. Also, if you think there are schools that are better suited for the ER route please let me know. My goal is to get into a school where I can get great connections.

If you need any more info please feel free to message me.

Thank you so much!

Without the GMAT or GMAT guidance it is tough. School ranking is a positive, GPA is good, but not great. Work experience is a positive, but fund oversight isn't glamorous. I would say definitely in at Northeastern. MIT is a stretch without a lot of work. Kellogg is obtainable though. Princeton is going to want more and better work experience. Columbia would want a more quantitative and academic looking background.

USC, maybe. I mean if you get a 700 or above things change a lot. You have a good, but not great profile.

I think your top 10 state school has enough resources. buying time with a MSF isn't always an excuse to not do networking all around. Fair questions for everyone to ask why you're doing MSF without a nontarget background or a horrible GPA. the real commitments are networking, expermential learning projects, and CFA since you singled out ER

Top 50 World Wide university located in northern Europe Bsc Economics Exchange semester to top 3 Hong Kong University GPA: 3.66 (straight 4.0 in final year, highest grades in all courses of class final year, except one) Dissertation: 4.0 EC: Finance club member, volunteer, affiliate Payment processor (e.g. PayPal), science mentor for high school students Internships/FTE: None GMAT: Not yet done

Noteworthy: - Had health issues during my studies. However after a clean MRI scan I got way less stressed about it and achieved 4.0 GPA ever since. - Played and coached poker profesionally at a high level. However I do not think I should mention this on my resume or cover letter while applying for such a program. - Owned an affiliate business. Managed 5-10 people and had over 100 clients. This was all online.

I would like to move abroad. What would be achievable universities for me in Europe (USA = too expensive).I would like to end up in IB and/or consultancy.

This year is a gap year, which I will try to fill with internships.

I would like to do a management and/or finance program.

Are universities such as LBS/HEC ever possible?

Thanks.

Don't worry about explaining your GPA, it is fine. I wouldn't hide the poker experience, especially if it is legit (ie. you won tournaments, stuff like that). Definitely focus on getting an internship. If you get a high gmat score you should be fine with applications.

Thank you very much for your reply.

To be honest I am high insecure and I would not know why ANY program would even accept me. Furthermore I am turning 24 already next year (2017).

I am wondering which applications would be fine for me? As in: at which universtities do you think I stand a chance?

My opinion is evolving. I used to think it was an OK program, but mainly international and not one that focused on placing students, but I recently checked out their webpage and it looks like their are placements now being posted. I think it is worth checking out, but the cost and location are big negatives.

Simon is a very underrated business school. They have a strong network and solid presence in mid-tier IB and in bval.

“Elections are a futures market for stolen property”

Hey TNA, thanks for all effort. Appreciate it.

I am an international student (from India), Targeting MIT. My profile is: Business Graduate with 3.7 GPA (Bachelor of Management Studies, specialized in Finance) from Delhi University, prestigious in India. 720 GMAT(Q50, V39) 2 Internships: One at Venture Capital Firm and one at Broker. It was mostly creating reports of upcoming industry in venture capital and back office work at the broker. The firms are small cap firms. I've cleared CFA level 1 this June and taking Level 2 next year.

My extracurriculars are not that strong, just managed some events at college level and was part of the Executive Council for the Finance Club. I will join Breaking Into Wall Street/Wall Street Prep this week and hopefully finish the basic module before applications.

Also, I am suffering from Type 1 Diabetes (Genetic), and have been able to manage it well. Will that make a difference?

I have no work ex. Wanting to get into Equity Research.

If you need any more info please feel free to message me. Thank you so much!

I say your MIT chance is very tough. if you really want it you need to double your speed with things. first of all you can't name any strong impacts in internships second congrats on CFA L1 but it's quite more often these days. Level 2 would be a plus but your MSF apps cant wait until next June I suppose. third your GMAT is 720 or "average" around top 15 schools. Sadly ORM such as yourself have to have high 740+ to be even "competitive" fourth your activities sounds very much blank, compared to others who started this competition probably 4 years ago.

Best of luck, but I say if you start working and really kill it, your MIT chances can raise exponentially

On paper you seem like a decent candidate. Your scores are all in their range or slightly higher. The internships and CFA are all good. I like that you are taking L2 in June. You'll definitely be able to talk about your love of finance and tie your education, CFA and work experience all into one.

I wouldn't bring up the diabetes unless one essay is asking about a personal struggle or something like this. Your application isn't weak so you don't need to explain or offset it.

Advice - apply. You could work on your GMAT split. I think if you could bump up the verbal section you'd look better as an applicant. This isn't an MFE program and employers are going to want strong English fluency. If you look at the class profile and then placements, you see how MIT is like 80% international, but their international placements aren't as good as the domestics. I'd probably advise you to target their 18 month MSF option as I believe this was created for people without work experience and those needing sponsorship.

Good luck!

Hi ANT! Wanted your view if I should be applying in Round 1 or Round 2. Will be appearing for the FRM-part 1 exam in Nov and will start actively looking for a job in Equity Research post my GMAT on Oct 6. (Scored 670 on the first attempt. Got a Q43 hence the 2nd attempt) + CFA level 3 passed candidate. So my question is Will Round 2 be a better option for me hopefully with FRM part 1 clear and a job in ER OR should I apply in the first round being an international applicant and possibly from an over-represented group (Indian Male) Thank you for putting in so much effort with the MSF threads (2016/17/18) Those have helped a lot

Gojzillla:

Hi ANT!
Wanted your view if I should be applying in Round 1 or Round 2.
Will be appearing for the FRM-part 1 exam in Nov and will start actively looking for a job in Equity Research post my GMAT on Oct 6. (Scored 670 on the first attempt. Got a Q43 hence the 2nd attempt) + CFA level 3 passed candidate.
So my question is Will Round 2 be a better option for me hopefully with FRM part 1 clear and a job in ER OR should I apply in the first round being an international applicant and possibly from an over-represented group (Indian Male)
Thank you for putting in so much effort with the MSF threads (2016/17/18) Those have helped a lot

Honestly, I would apply R1 and just let the adcoms know you plan on taking it again and expect to score higher. Plain fact is you are a pretty strong applicant and I think most programs would be happy to admit you even at the score you have now.

1) 670 is pretty good 2) CFA LIII being done is huge. Congrats.

As far as improving your application, I think a GMAT at or above a 700 would be the biggest ROI for you. FRM is nice, but you already have the CFA so it will be a small, incremental improvement.

Good luck!

Thanks for the prompt reply! Any suggestion on which universities should I be applying to? I have short listed Vanderbilt, Villanova, UT Austin, USC, WUSTL, Rochester. What are your thoughts on Illinois Institute of Technology (Stuart School of Business) MSF Corp Fin? Just read Claremont McKenna MSF is closed to non CMC undergrads on your website - No Change in the status of the program right? Any other universities I should apply to or drop from the list?

Ant I need your help! I just bombed my GMAT (cancelled the score) so should I apply with my current score of 670(old score) or reappear for gmat in the first week of Jan and apply for the 2nd Round? My practice test score range from 680-710. The only other small benefit is that I MAY be able to clear my FRM part 1 which I can add in my application. So the question AGAIN is R1 or R2? Sorry for the repeat question but kinda lost after the low gmat score. Appreciate any help. Thanks!

econecon101:

Thank you so much for doing this! I'm an international student from a country that should have very few MSF applications. I'm currently 1.5 years out of undergrad and double majored in Finance and Econ.

School: 3.4 at a midwestern university (think Notre Dame/U Chicago/Northwestern). How much will admissions take it into account if I was very ill for a portion of my undergrad and with this GPA is it necessary to explain it?

Work Experience: Post grad- one year in Economic Consulting (think NERA/Cornerstone/Analysis) in the US
During Undergrad - 1. a few months working in the finance department of at a large property
development company in Asia,
2. a few months doing accounting work in my home country,
3. a few months doing accounting work for a PE company in the US

EC: Used to be one of the best chess players for my age in my region before going to college (I've stopped competing since). Held a high position in one Finance service club during Undergrad and been in a few other clubs related to business/finance.

Test Scores: I took the GRE and got 162/163 reading/math. I'll be retaking it soon and expect to get around 162/166 reading/math (or a GMAT equivalent of around 720 according to online conversions).

Aim: I'm applying to schools mostly in Europe and one or two in the US (would need to apply for work visas in either location). What do you think is my chance at schools like MIT/Oxford/HEC Paris/University of St. Galen?

Questions:

1. Is it okay for me to take the GRE, or is it necessary for me to do the GMAT? Every school I've looked at seems to say they accept either score.

2. Is it worth the time for me to take the CFA level 1 and add that to my application?

3. Any idea how tough it is to find a job in Europe if I am only fluent in English? (though I would start language classes in the local language of whatever country I go to immediately)

4. Any specific schools you think would be good for me to consider?

3.4/4.0 GPA from those schools is fine. Work experience is nice also. I like the chess experience. European schools tend to be formulaic in their admissions. I don't think the GPA will hurt you and taking the GRE is fine.

I think you'd be competitive at MIT, but it would be a little bit of a stretch. Bocconi might like you with the higher GRE. I'd throw in LSE/LBS in the mix since you are an English speaker. I'm not as familiar with what Oxford or St. Gallen likes with applicants, but I think you have a good profile. A buddy of mine had a slightly higher GPA from a slightly lesser school and got into Bocconi, full ride with living stipend so I think you have a shot at the schools you are looking at.

ProspectusMonkey:

Targeting MIT/Princeton - Chances?

Profile:
Finance - 3.75 GPA (overall)
School: Semi-target known for rigorous academics
740 GMAT
Internships: Department of the Treasury, Department of Defense

Extracurriculars: Fraternity (Treasurer), VP of service club, Interfraternity Council (VP Finance), College Endowment portfolio management

I'd say very good for MIT, probably good for Princeton. Like I have said before, I think Princeton favors applicants with work experience, but I could be wrong. Definitely a great profile though.

School: Senior at Non-Target State school in south (VA, NC, SC, TN) Academics: BA Finance, Cumulative GPA: 3.0 and Major GPA: 3.6 WE: Summer 2016 Commercial Banking Internship at small regional bank Extracurricular: Treasurer of Fraternity, also own my own automotive business, other fraternity chair positions that aren't very relevant GMAT: 720+ Target (Excellent at quant on cold practice) Other: CFA I Candidate December 2016, Completed Wall Street Prep Financial Modeling Courses Goal: Break into IBD or ER, doesn't matter boutique, MM, or BB.

Targets: Vanderbilt, Villanova, WUSTL Others: USC, BC

Chances of getting into these programs and things I could potential work on before applications?

Also, as someone with no IB experience and brand name, would the Villanova program benefit me the most? With the program starting in June it could give me the possibility to do a part time unpaid internship at a boutique before FT recruiting in the fall.

Thanks for doing this.

dmak7:

School: Senior at Non-Target State school in south (VA, NC, SC, TN)
Academics: BA Finance, Cumulative GPA: 3.0 and Major GPA: 3.6
WE: Summer 2016 Commercial Banking Internship at small regional bank
Extracurricular: Treasurer of Fraternity, also own my own automotive business, other fraternity chair positions that aren't very relevant
GMAT: 720+ Target (Excellent at quant on cold practice)
Other: CFA I Candidate December 2016, Completed Wall Street Prep Financial Modeling Courses
Goal: Break into IBD or ER, doesn't matter boutique, MM, or BB.

Targets: Vanderbilt, Villanova, WUSTL
Others: USC, BC

Chances of getting into these programs and things I could potential work on before applications?

Also, as someone with no IB experience and brand name, would the Villanova program benefit me the most? With the program starting in June it could give me the possibility to do a part time unpaid internship at a boutique before FT recruiting in the fall.

Thanks for doing this.

Academically you are a so so applicant. Assuming you get a 700+ GMAT and pass L1 of the CFA, I can see you getting into Nova and at like 50% odds at Vanderbilt/WUSTL. Id try for an unpaid internship now while you wait. No sense in waiting when you can do it now. Build that resume as that will help or hurt you the most.

@TNA If you're still answering questions on this I'd appreciate any advice.

Here is my profile Senior at Top State Business School in Midwest Major: Finance Cum and Major GPA: 3.3/4.0, 3.6/4.0 Taking CFA Level 1 in December, feeling very optimistic about it. Haven't taken GMAT - would hope for 700+

Extracurriculars: Fraternity, Philanthropic organization for 3 yrs, Member of PM Club, I'd consider myself a pretty well rounded individual who got involved in a lot of organizations on campus, but never was President of a club. I am passionate about the markets and finance - On a daily basis I read WSJ and Seeking Alpha, weekly basis - Barron's, The Economist and research reports that my employer sends me. I have also read Intelligent Investor, Security Analysis, and numerous other finance books.

Work Experience: worked in regulatory department of BB PWM firm this summer. Now I am working part time digitally as an investment analyst for a PWM firm (around $750M AUM - one man shop) - will continue to work for him part time throughout the school year.

What are my chances of getting into a top 20 MSF program? I know it's probably somewhat late to start thinking about, but I don't know how good of chance I have into landing a spot doing something I actually want to (ER or AM). I am going to go through recruiting for Fall/Spring, see what how many offers I get, and then decide what to do (so I wouldn't apply until next summer). If I don't get any offers that are finance-relevant, should I consider taking a year off and being a snowboard instructor out west (very passionate about snowboarding), applying for MSF summer 2017, and then going back to to get my MSF (graduation date of 2019).

Questions -If my heart is set on ER/AM, should I pursue an MSF, or do another job first then try to network in? -Would I have time to take GMAT if I started studying after CFA Level 1 (CFA date is Dec. 3rd, would have a couple months before the best school's deadlines) -Would MSF provide any value at this point? I have the finance background obviously, but my primary reason for doing MSF would be to utilize the school's network.

Thanks

Assuming your GMAT is in line you will be fine for T20 MSF programs (really only 5-10 you should focus on anyway). CFA L1 will be gravy and help you with a job search.

As far as networking your way in, that is always doable. CFA progression would help. More work experience would as well. Really depends on the network your school has and if you are fine with the incremental progress and/or the grit to grind it out. Takes a while sometimes.

The MSF, if done right, can give you another/better network, access to that FO OCR you might not have had and allow you to skip a lot of the incremental job stuff. Only you can decide if the cost and time is really worth it.

Ok, thanks for that insight. Which 5-10 schools should I focus on then, assuming I do decide to go this route? I don't expect to get accepted at MIT or Princeton, but would like to to go somewhere with a strong network/job placement and a prestigious brand name. Also, preferably schools known for relatively higher placement in ER/AM.

I'd really appreciate any advice on my profile. Applying for MSF programs with a strong interest in S&T. -Senior with concentrations in finance & international business at the top rated SUNY business program - Cum/Major GPA: 3.1/3.8 - GMAT:700 - I have been a two year captain of the men's soccer team (NCAA-DI, ranked in the top 25). Playing (semi-pro) and training in the summer has limited my opportunities to be able to intern in anything outside a business analyst internship for a local healthcare company.
- I am pursuing an MSF to use the school's network to land a position in either S&T or in IBD at a BB (goal) or boutique. I am open to location of the school or possible placement, but NY, LA or Charlotte would be my top choices.

I am applying to the following programs for Fall 2017. -Tulane (strong s&t and interested in energy) -Baruch (instate tuition) -USC (west coast and brand name) -Villanova (NY ties) -Boston College (higher tier) Any other options that fit my profile/goals?

Also, I am graduating in December 2016, so I will have a free semester, are there off cycle internships at many boutiques that would value being a DI athlete entering a MSF program in the fall?

Appreciate any help

Assuming USC and BC are hardest to get into, I think you're competitive for all programs. GPA should not be a problem if other parts of your application are strong. Adcoms definitely put weight on being a D1 athlete. Only weakness is lack of relevant work experience. Placing into top S&T firms will probably be difficult w/o connections if you have no relevant work experience. Adcoms probably know this. Know that your work experience is your application's weakness, and structure your application so that it won't be that big of a problem. Play up being a D1 athlete and don't shortchange your business analyst internship.

What round are you applying for?

Hello everyone, My profile Female- Under grad: Electronics and Comp science engg. Grad: MBA in Finance from top 6 schools in India CFA: All levels cleared FRM: All levels cleared GPA: 3.5 overall, 3.7 Major GRE exam scheduled for Nov 16, (Aiming for 320+) Work exp:
- 1 year as economic research officer at Australian Consulate - 6 months as a Financial advisory consultant at Corporate Executive Board. - 20 months in IT industry

Recommendations: Excellent recommendation from the Consulate general for my economics, research and analytics skills.

Few questions: - Do I stand a realistic chance for MIT / Princeton program. - Also, is my profile more in line for a MFE / MFin. I am open to both programs as I do not have any specific reservations for type of job role except accounting and non Finance roles.

Appreciate your reply.

I'd target MFE programs. You have the background and there are never many women doing the degree. You already have an MBA and maybe MSF adcoms will almost automatically ding you because of it. MFE tends to not get this treatment because of the highly technical nature of the degree.

Hi guys, first post here in WSO.

A little bit of my background: - Brazilian (lived in different places like 2y in Germany) - speak 4 languages (Portuguese, Spanish, English and German) - Graduated from a top 5 university in Brazil (BA in International Relations, with focus in economics). My gpa was 75% of 100% (different method of calculating). Funny thing: in Brazil, a great gpa is 80%. A 75% puts me in the top 10% of the class; - Internship of 2y and a half in Energy consulting (american company) - downside is that I was in Marketing Strategy dpt, but had big exposure to energy market and planning - After graduation, started to work in the buy side / FP&A in an energy company, with great exposure of deals (more than BRL 2b), that developed my technical skills (financial modeling etc) as well as energy strategy. Total experience in this job: 1 year. - MBA in Finance from top 5 business school, gpa 94% in 100% (derivatives, risk, financial analysis etc)

Now my biggest doubt (that makes me lose my sleep lately) is: trying to apply to a Msc in Finance now or waiting a few more years to apply to a MBA? I'm 24 and I feel that being hired by an Investment Bank is, day by day, a more distant reality.

Thanks a lot!

I am confused. Do you already have a Top 5 MBA? IMO, sounds like you have great work experience and a very international background. If you are 24, you probably have close to 2 years work experience. Why not keep working for another year and apply to MBA programs. You should be a very attractive candidate and I can see you getting into T10 programs assuming your GMAT is sufficient.

@TNA

School: Non target lib arts, 3.5 GPA Degree: Finance & Econ double major (2015) GMAT: 650-700 range Work Exp: 1 Yr Commercial Credit Analyst ($10B assets) 1 Yr CRE Lending Analyst (top 10 US bank) Targeting: MSF at Villanova (Partnership with UG school)

Goal: Re-brand myself to move to IB M&A. Will be satisfied with MM, shooting for BB.

Question: Is my profile appealing to the MSF program? Will my post MSF profile land me in IB, or will i be too experienced for an analyst role?

ad231129:

@TNA

School: Non target lib arts, 3.5 GPA
Degree: Finance & Econ double major (2015)
GMAT: 650-700 range
Work Exp:
1 Yr Commercial Credit Analyst ($10B assets)
1 Yr CRE Lending Analyst (top 10 US bank)
Targeting: MSF at Villanova (Partnership with UG school)

Goal: Re-brand myself to move to IB M&A. Will be satisfied with MM, shooting for BB.

Question:
Is my profile appealing to the MSF program?
Will my post MSF profile land me in IB, or will i be too experienced for an analyst role?

You will 100% get into Nova. I don't think you will be too experienced at all. Some good credit experience. As long as it is below 3 years experience you are generally fine.

Hello, I am a recent UG graduate from a large big 10 school in the top 50, and I am also an international student from Korea but have a native proficiency in both English and Korean. I want to explore my chances at a top 20 MSF program in order to extend my stay here and secure a Visa sponsorship.

Major: Accounting GPA: 3.2, major GPA: 2.8 GMAT: 710 first time (Will take it one more time, hoping for 740+) Extra Curricular: Co-founded a business club, philanthropy chair for my fraternity, treasurer of a service club, member of Beta Alpha Psi (Accounting society) Work Experience: Interned for a small local Accounting and Audit company with mostly small business clients.

Targets: Duke, USC, Boston College, Johns Hopkins, UT Austin, Villanova.

Goal: Rebrand myself to work in Consulting, corporate finance, or Investment Banking

I wasn't motivated and disinterested during UG and I want a fresh start to make up for my poor GPA that I had in Accounting to prove that I have the ability to excel, and eventually set myself up for a top MBA program.

What are my chances at these programs and are there any other programs you recommend based on my profile? Thank you, I really appreciate the input!

JS_20:

Hello, I am a recent UG graduate from a large big 10 school in the top 50, and I am also an international student from Korea but have a native proficiency in both English and Korean. I want to explore my chances at a top 20 MSF program in order to extend my stay here and secure a Visa sponsorship.

Major: Accounting
GPA: 3.2, major GPA: 2.8
GMAT: 710 first time (Will take it one more time, hoping for 740+)
Extra Curricular: Co-founded a business club, philanthropy chair for my fraternity, treasurer of a service club, member of Beta Alpha Psi (Accounting society)
Work Experience: Interned for a small local Accounting and Audit company with mostly small business clients.

Targets: Duke, USC, Boston College, Johns Hopkins, UT Austin, Villanova.

Goal: Rebrand myself to work in Consulting, corporate finance, or Investment Banking

I wasn't motivated and disinterested during UG and I want a fresh start to make up for my poor GPA that I had in Accounting to prove that I have the ability to excel, and eventually set myself up for a top MBA program.

What are my chances at these programs and are there any other programs you recommend based on my profile? Thank you, I really appreciate the input!

Make sure your major GPA isn't included on the resume. 3.2 GPA is ok. GMAT at 710 is good, 740 would obviously help some. Good EC's. Big 10 school will be helpful. I don't think being international will have an issue since you speak fluent english and went to a US school.

IMO, in at JHU, Nova, Duke. Probably in at Boston College. UTA I give you 60% odds. They prefer non business UG's and you did poorly in your accounting major, but the rest of your profile is good. USC, really don't know. I feel like the GPA might be tough for them. I'd apply, but it is one of those schools that could go either way.

If you want to do consulting or corporate finance, I'd suggest you look at Notre Dame and Michigan for their MMS. Programs will place into both those fields and the brand will help you if you try for banking. The programs will be "easier" so you'll have a better shot at crushing the GPA, which will help you come MBA recruiting.

I'd make sure you address in your essays why you did so poorly in accounting. Finance and accounting have a lot of overlap and I think this will be a concern for some programs. Usually I see the reverse, higher major than overall GPA.

I've looked in to Notre Dame and Michigan MMS programs, and they state that its for non-business majors. Since I was a business major wouldn't that disqualify me from those programs?

And what do you think would be the correct way to explain my low GPA in Accounting? In Undergrad I was unfocused and distracted while unfocused about my career goals. Is there a "politically correct" way to explain this fact in my personal statements?

Thank you for your guidance, I appreciate it.

Wondering about the following, as I assume that it is fairly common. how would one go about applying for a Master program while still in his 4th year of university? Do you just submit all the grades you currently have, or try to make a prediction for the final grade? and can you mention that you are planning on taking the CFA later on?

I will apply in January, but will not graduate until June as i am still in my last years. Is there any additional information that needs to be provided?

As I have taken a gap year in the middle of my studies to complete two internships, would this limit my chances in applications in any type of way?

any answers and recommendations are much appreciated, thanks in advance

Vona:

Wondering about the following, as I assume that it is fairly common.
how would one go about applying for a Master program while still in his 4th year of university? Do you just submit all the grades you currently have, or try to make a prediction for the final grade? and can you mention that you are planning on taking the CFA later on?

I will apply in January, but will not graduate until June as i am still in my last years. Is there any additional information that needs to be provided?

As I have taken a gap year in the middle of my studies to complete two internships, would this limit my chances in applications in any type of way?

any answers and recommendations are much appreciated, thanks in advance

You'd fill out your application with your expected graduation year and your current GPA. I would include the CFA L1 test date on your resume. Once you submit, I would reach out to admissions, let them know you are graduating and will send final transcripts and grades once it is official. They might want interim transcripts and then final transcripts when you graduate.

Just give them a call and explain it. They will be fine.

Hey guys, this is my first time posting on WSO, and I was hoping to get everyone's opinion on my chances at a few programs.

School: Unknown state school in the Midwest Major: Accounting GPA: 3.89 (Cumulative) GMAT: 760 ECs: Founded a few student organizations and grew them substantially and multiple leadership roles in student organizations across campus especially in the investment club Internships: Multiple internships at Big 4 including TAS in NYC Work experience: Started my own business to pay for College which has been running successfully for 4+ years Status: International Programs of interest: MIT, Vandy, Nova, UVA (global commerce), UT Austin, Duke (MMS), LBS, LSE, Oxford

Thanks in advance everyone, I really appreciate it.

Sloth Brothers:

Hey guys, this is my first time posting on WSO, and I was hoping to get everyone's opinion on my chances at a few programs.

School: Unknown state school in the Midwest
Major: Accounting
GPA: 3.89 (Cumulative)
GMAT: 760
ECs: Founded a few student organizations and grew them substantially and multiple leadership roles in student organizations across campus especially in the investment club
Internships: Multiple internships at Big 4 including TAS in NYC
Work experience: Started my own business to pay for College which has been running successfully for 4+ years
Programs of interest: MIT, Vandy, Nova, UVA (global commerce), UT Austin, Duke (MMS), LBS, LSE, Oxford

Thanks in advance everyone, I really appreciate it.

Honestly, one of the strongest profiles I have seen.

Great GPA, Amazing GMAT. Very good EC's. Own business that has a track record and you used to pay for college, WOW. Internships with well known companies and brands, bonus points.

I would say definitely in at UVA, Vanderbilt, Nova, Duke. 99% sure in at UTA. LBS and LSE will accept you baring some disaster with the essays or application. Oxford, I think so since you have the stats, but I am not too familiar with how their adcoms look at things.

MIT, you might need to beef up on the math to hit their requirements, but I honestly cannot see how they wouldn't see you as an amazing applicant. I think you would be very competitive there as well.

For the other schools, make sure you apply for the fellowships as well. You should definitely get scholarship money from some or all of those schools.

Hello and thanks for this.

My current targets are Vandy, UT, MIT, Nova, etc.

I'm a recent grad from a non-target but high ranking business school (top 35 in Bloomberg) and finished with a 3.5 cum GPA (3.7 finance major GPA). I was treasurer of my social frat and on eboard for a philanthropy group that raised 60k a year. I've had a couple of internships in brokerage offices for FA's and am currently working full time in operations at an AM firm in Boston. I'm currently studying for the CFA I exam in December and am confident that I will pass. As soon as that's over I'll focus on the GMAT and study like crazy in order to get 680+. Want to break in IB and really want to do one of these programs.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

richyrich:

Hello and thanks for this.

My current targets are Vandy, UT, MIT, Nova, etc.

I'm a recent grad from a non-target but high ranking business school (top 35 in Bloomberg) and finished with a 3.5 cum GPA (3.7 finance major GPA). I was treasurer of my social frat and on eboard for a philanthropy group that raised 60k a year. I've had a couple of internships in brokerage offices for FA's and am currently working full time in operations at an AM firm in Boston. I'm currently studying for the CFA I exam in December and am confident that I will pass. As soon as that's over I'll focus on the GMAT and study like crazy in order to get 680+. Want to break in IB and really want to do one of these programs.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Assuming you get the GMAT you expect, you should be fine with all the schools other than MIT. MIT, I think it is worth applying, but not sure if your profile is stand out enough. Will depend on your rec's, essays and how competitive the class year is.

[Comment removed by mod team]

I am a UG student from South Korea, aiming for a decent FINANCE program admission after graduation.

Not that i got my gmat score figured out or something,

but i've been wondering if passing CFA L3 exam would help me get into decent (may be controversial) MSF programs.

PERSONAL INFO (in future prospect):

age : 25 (when i graduate) - in my defense, i served in the Korean army for 2 years.

relavant experience: probably one, since i will apply for the programs right after graduation. (In a small finance start-up firms in financial modeling and quant research)

EC activities : president of UG value investing community, the biggest one in South Korea.

education: Econ BA from one of Top 4 universities in South Korea (wonder if anyone would bother) CGPA 3.4 with strong upward trend

GMAT: hoping for +700, preferrably around 730 ~ 750

CFA : L2 candidate 2017 june, pretty sure at least L2 passed OR hopefully L3 Passed when i graduate

Target programs:

MIT, WUSTL, Vandy, USC, rochester, (as in MSF) and also.. since i have little info on the reputations other than these programs, OPEN to recommendations.

Target jobs: 1. AM (value-oriented firms preferred) 2. PE, IB

Target areas: U.S Local jobs works out fine, considering Hong Kong & Singapore also if AM + HK vs. IB + U.S id prefer the former.

upfront THANKS for the advice!!

veincut:

I am a UG student from South Korea, aiming for a decent FINANCE program admission after graduation.

Not that i got my gmat score figured out or something,

but i've been wondering if passing CFA L3 exam would help me get into decent (may be controversial) MSF programs.

PERSONAL INFO (in future prospect):

- in my defense, i served in the Korean army for 2 years.

relavant experience: probably one, since i will apply for the programs right after graduation. (In a small finance start-up firms in financial modeling and quant research)

EC activities : president of UG value investing community, the biggest one in South Korea.

education: Econ BA from one of Top 4 universities in South Korea (wonder if anyone would bother) CGPA 3.4
with strong upward trend

GMAT: hoping for +700, preferrably around 730 ~ 750

CFA : L2 candidate 2017 june, pretty sure at least L2 passed OR hopefully L3 Passed when i graduate

Target programs:

MIT, WUSTL, Vandy, USC, rochester, (as in MSF)
and also.. since i have little info on the reputations other than these programs, OPEN to recommendations.

Target jobs:
1. AM (value-oriented firms preferred)
2. PE, IB

Target areas: U.S Local jobs works out fine, considering Hong Kong & Singapore also
if AM + HK vs. IB + U.S id prefer the former.

upfront THANKS for the advice!!

I've seen a number of Korean applicants being a little older. No issues. Your military services counts as experience as well.

IMO, assuming you have a GMAT in the range you target, you should be good with WUSTL and Vanderbilt. USC, I think so. ROC is your safety. MIT is always the crap shoot. You have some good things about your profile, but it isn't stellar. From your typing you might have issues with your essays which will alert MIT. Work on written English so your essays flow well.

Not trying to knock you as I can't read or speak any other language, just know that essays can be a differentiator and some schools will ding you if they are obviously from someone with less than fluent english skills.

Got a "Merit Based" app fee waiver (probably meaningless) and an interview invitation for Vandy with a 2.8 GPA and 760 GMAT. A little glimmer of hope for anyone trying to overcome a low GPA, but I am still prepping myself for a rejection. Just submitted my SMU app as well.

Nice, congrats. I think your GMAT overcomes the GPA. If you have some decent work/internship experience it will also help.

Vandy cares about placing people and a lower GPA isn't a kiss of death (especially with a 760 GMAT to compensate).

Hey everyone, this is my first time posting here and I was looking to get some feedback on where you guys think I'd have the best chance to get in:

School: Semi Target school in Midwest Major: Finance Age: 23 when starting program GPA: 3.4 Cumulative, 3.4 Major (both upward trends) GMAT: 690 ECs: None, except for playing a sport (cricket) on a national level for the past 6-7 years. Internships: Pursuing one after graduation in December. Work experience: Volunteered about 2000 hours at a non profit over the last 2-3 years, along with about 300 hours of volunteering at other places/events. Can build on lots of leadership roles from sports and volunteering in essays. Programs of interest: Ohio State, Duke, UT, Villanova, Pitt, Miami, Loyola, Purdue, and Michigan State.

Goal: To work in IB then pursue an MBA after a couple years and try to move up.

If you guys can recommend any other schools I should look into also, that'd be great.

Really like your profile. If you didn't study finance you would be perfect for Notre Dame's MMS.

So the 3.4 GPA is good and the 690 is high enough to get it done. I think the Cricket is pretty interesting. But I think your community service is the big win. IMO, I would love this as an adcom. It is very impressive and shows a lot of commitment. Above and beyond the normal 20 hours people do. You need to build this out on your resume as real work experience since you've committed so much time to it.

IMO, all the schools you listed would love your application. I almost think you should email the ND people and see if they will make an exception for you. Like you really fit their social responsibility bucket. Long shot though.

I'd apply to Vanderbilt and WUSTL. Top MSF's and you will be highly competitive. In at OSU, Duke, Nova, 75% at UTA. Pitt, Miami, Loyola, Purdue, MSU, all in. These are safety schools and I would pick one of them for a specific reason (location, some family connection, whatever). You'll get into much better schools though so you don't need to apply to these schools, but you'd get in if you did.

School: Non-Target Private School in the South (ranked top 40)

Academics: BSM Finance 3.3, MSA (Master Accounting) 3.3

Experience: 2 years in public accounting (regional firm). I have my CPA license and am a CFA L II candidate

GMAT: 640. I first took it when I was 19, so I'm sure I can improve this.

Goal: Equity Research

I'm trying to decide if MBA might be a better option. The acceptance rate seems much higher.

Corporis assumenda est dolorum quae. Temporibus nam et iusto nihil. Temporibus sint sint molestiae fugit aut est omnis.

Occaecati maxime fuga quidem dolores. Temporibus maxime ut repellat architecto. Quaerat autem et unde eum perferendis explicabo.

Blanditiis voluptatem voluptatem vel repellendus ipsa. Et sequi culpa dolores at quisquam. Perspiciatis tempore modi vel qui. Et dolorem similique error laborum quia alias.

Rerum illo sequi sit tempora iste. Dolores voluptatem nesciunt voluptatem laudantium. Minima laboriosam aut repudiandae culpa. Et libero sed consequatur itaque exercitationem.

Et qui cum enim voluptatem sed quod tempora. Eaque saepe deserunt commodi facilis. Quas tempora ipsum illo sed nostrum. Fuga esse perferendis et velit accusamus.

Odit temporibus voluptatibus deleniti. Incidunt et eaque et exercitationem et autem nihil fugit. Dolores vel molestias veritatis quia veritatis sed. Nihil doloremque aut consequuntur non.

Omnis non maiores vero. Sed necessitatibus inventore aliquam non voluptas. Qui sit officia quia et excepturi officia.

Quia neque omnis aperiam quae iure nesciunt dolorem iste. Quis sunt odio beatae amet quis et exercitationem. Molestiae culpa aut esse adipisci.

Placeat quis pariatur omnis facere ipsam modi incidunt. Omnis quibusdam corrupti in tempora voluptatem repellendus. Quas consectetur delectus laudantium ex.

Quis minima voluptatem voluptatem ut eaque est voluptatum. Cumque ut accusantium omnis repellendus. Laboriosam quo hic dolor.

Eveniet rerum corporis omnis eius. Vel officia mollitia vero earum officia sed et. Ipsum ab dolorem nulla culpa cumque.

Aut explicabo expedita ad deserunt ut. Qui dolor culpa possimus nobis praesentium. Illum eaque itaque eius.

Dicta aut maiores cumque beatae. Provident sapiente nostrum sit voluptas quasi ducimus velit. Et nesciunt fugiat soluta excepturi. Occaecati veniam et cumque ut.

Odio sit amet tempora repudiandae sapiente. Adipisci odio alias voluptas inventore quos molestiae. Qui beatae libero tenetur error dolor est nam. Dignissimos vel consequatur et enim deserunt iste voluptas.

A et ab maxime eligendi. Sunt nostrum ut qui perferendis commodi. Recusandae molestias voluptas quo exercitationem consequatur. Distinctio et voluptatem delectus aut aut ut quasi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (85) $262
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (65) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (198) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (143) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”