NBA Free Agency 2016

And most importantly, where will Kevin Durant end up?

I'll update the thread with some of the other deals going down...

The Lakers and Cavs free agent center Timofey Mozgov have finalized a deal worth $64 million over four years.

DeMar DeRozan has decided to re-sign with the Toronto Raptors. The deal with Toronto is five years and worth more than $139 million.

I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing. See my Blog & AMA

Best Response

DJ Augustin signed with the Magic Nicolas Batum re-signed with the Hornets Beal Bradley re-signed with the Wizards Jordan Clarkson re-signed with the Lakers Derozan re-signed with Toronto Andre Drummond re-signed with Detroit Tim Duncan exercised his option but is still contemplating retirement Al Jefferson signed with the Pacers Timothy Mozgov signed with the Lakers Hassan Whiteside has re-signed with the Heat

Supposedly the Warriors are interested in Dirk Nowitzki. Doesn't sound realistic to me.

In related news: O.J. Mayo has been dismissed from the NBA, because he violated the anti-drug program.

I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing. See my Blog & AMA

Matrick:
In related news: O.J. Mayo has been dismissed from the NBA, because he violated the anti-drug program.

Gotta love the eternal idiots. Nothing like throwing away millions of dollars - not to mention he barely deserves them in the first place with his poor play.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Durant has reportedly narrowed his choices down to six teams: Oklahoma City, Golden State, San Antonio, Boston, Miami and the Los Angeles Clippers.

Regardless, Bun B has joined the campaign and wants to bring Kevin Durant to Houston.

Because he was injured and then the Cavs switched up their system where they didn't play him. People forget how good he was in last years finals (arguably second best player on Cavs).

Also, you need to take into consideration the Cap increase this year and next year. 16 mill this year is equal to 10.5 mil last year. For reference Tyson chandler got paid 12-13 million last year. So, this deal sounds about right.

mCobb:

Notably overpaid players in NBA this Free Agent Season:

Matt Dellavedova 4 years $34.8 million
Evan Turner 4 years $70 million
Solomon Hill 4 years $52 million
Chandler Parsons 4 years $94 million

In breaking news: all four died of laughter after they signed their ridiculous contracts. NBA investigates how to treat cap space.

whattherock:

it's our time to enhance their wealth management.

The dream eh? But seriously, has anyone here ever looked into what these guys do in terms of wealth management? My knoweldge goes as far as ballers and that's it..

most of them blow it. I know quite a few PWM guys who handle money for athletes and entertainers (musicians, promoters, agents, etc.) and most of the athletes get the first check, payoff their friends and family's debts, get themselves houses, get their family houses, and then wake up in 5-8 years as a middle of the road player with nothing left in their checking account.

the running theme seems to be live uber-rich for a few years rather than live well forever. other complicating factors are divorces and child support, but mostly what happens is they look at their income now and extrapolate that out forever. think about it, let's look at a 5 year deal for $50mm all guaranteed plus a 10y endorsement deal worth $150mm. sports agent gets 10-20% of the endorsement, and 3-5% of the contract, so at the high end, you're looking at 500k from the contract and 3mm from the endorsements paid to the agent PER YEAR. so from 25mm/yr you're down to 21.5mm. not bad right!

you're in a big metro area, so let's assume federal plus state taxes amount to 60%, you're looking at 12.9mm cash per year, pretty good, over a million bucks a month, you can definitely make ends meet there. most guys aren't going to buy right away, but let's say you rent something worth about $10mm, that's at least $50k/mo or 600k/yr. but you're going to not just want a home where you play, but also where you're from, right? double that figure, or maybe 1.5x instead of double.

uh oh, your mom's getting foreclosed upon, you need to help. good news is she only in a $200k house, but she wants to upgrade, so you clean up her debts and buy her a nice place. I mean, she can't live in a hood anymore right? add another 1.5mm to the tab for this year.

on top of that, all of your boys will come begging saying they helped you out back in the day, family members you've never heard of, business ideas from perfect strangers (think ideas of the same quality as kanye's donda chart), and you might be lucky to have a few million left each year. this assumes you don't have child support or buy multiple houses. the shitty thing about child support is they calculate it based on your income around the time of conception, so you could feasibly pay 5 figures a month even after you leave the league. sure, you can petition to get it lowered, but even if you do, if you don't understand how condoms work, you could be shelling out 5 of those checks a month to different mothers.

I could go on and on, but the smartest players live modestly, buy their homes for cash, and pocket as much of their money as possible. the best financial plan I've ever heard is gronkowski. he pockets 100% of his contract money and only spends endorsement deals (which are large in their own right). he will be fine financially forever. there are several success stories out there, but most people just get in over their heads expense wise, and end up broke once they get injured or their career takes a turn.

...and the frenzy continues... Jerryd Bayless signs with the 76ers (3yrs/27mm) Kent Bazemore re-signs with Hawks (4yrs/70mm) Mike Conley re-signs with the Grizzlies (5yrs/153mm) Jared Dudley signs with the Suns (3yrs/30mm) Evan Fournier re-signs with Magic (5yrs/85mm) Jeff Green signs with Magic (1yr/15mm) Jordan Hamilton signs with Brooklyn (2yrs/6mm) Dwight Howard signs with Hawks (3yrs/70.5mm) Joe Johnson signs with Jazz (2yr/22mm) E'Twaun Moore signs with New Orleans (4yrs/34mm) Joakim Noah signs with Knicks (4yrs/72mm) Mirza Teletovic signs with Bucks (3yrs/30mm)

There was a time I would have gotten excited to see Howard going to Atlanta and playing with a young, dynamic team. Nowadays I just wonder how someone can be so gifted and yet so underachieving.

why does the NBA institute a salary minimum in addition to a salary cap?

With the new Salary Cap raise for this year, teams have no choice but to overpay this class of free agents in order to meet the threshold.

Imagine the impact on team chemistry and morale when Harrison Barnes becomes the highest-paid player on the Warriors

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." --Abraham Lincoln

The Warriors have reached out to free-agent guard Jamal Crawford. Crawford will likely leave Los Angeles after the Clippers low-balled him on their offer.

Aaron Afflalo signs with Kings (2yrs/25mm) Courtney Lee has apparently signed with the Knicks?

Free-agent shooting guard Courtney Lee has agreed to a four-year deal with the New York Knicks, sources told ESPN's Ian Begley.

The deal is worth approximately $48 million, sources say, with all four years guaranteed. Basketball Insiders first reported Lee's decision to agree with the team.

KD will sign a 1+1 with OKC. The $ he stands to make from this is valued at like $100 mil. It also gives OKC the chance to sign necessary players to ensure a championship caliber team (and they already have making moves with Oladipo). He'll then sign the highest NBA contract in history after that year with whichever team can position him for a ring.

I think a big problem with the NBA is that it is perceived that there is only one winner per year (the champions). Because of that, a lot of teams would rather tank for picks than try to go as an average, 8th seed playoff team. This obviously hurts the parity in the NBA and makes it a lot less competitive.

I think a way to fix this partially would be to incentivize competitiveness by partially tying team revenue to record (i.e. top seeds get a larger portion of revenues). Any thoughts on this?

Quam saepe voluptatem est exercitationem aut. Est quam sed vel qui eaque non nulla. Quas nihil rem illo rerum omnis. Accusantium sed voluptatem nostrum autem dolorum maxime distinctio.

Incidunt architecto natus vero deserunt. Repellat accusamus modi enim pariatur similique ab aspernatur sapiente.

Recusandae ex nam et vel dolores. Unde dolorem harum et sit et. Autem eum eum qui vitae. Voluptatem aut odio exercitationem impedit necessitatibus dolor. Qui iusto delectus similique nam alias architecto vero perferendis. Iusto praesentium necessitatibus corporis labore suscipit dicta earum. Voluptates quasi sequi commodi repudiandae.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Vel non facere fugiat dicta qui. Laudantium natus unde dolores consequatur distinctio voluptatem delectus cumque. Dolore officiis molestias id ea. Sit culpa necessitatibus natus odit.

Aliquam voluptates mollitia dolor ut fuga vel. Quasi ex distinctio aperiam quia. Repudiandae officia nisi nihil et. Laborum odio iure illum sed quia voluptas.

Repellendus sunt inventore ea voluptatem enim ipsum sit. Enim autem officiis neque aut dicta eum exercitationem saepe. Suscipit autem repudiandae eligendi saepe deleniti vel. Fuga voluptate fugiat laboriosam sint labore et tenetur.

Velit recusandae mollitia dolores tempora quibusdam eos sapiente. Quaerat non harum repudiandae dignissimos fugiat quia consequatur. Ex provident in laudantium. Dolores quidem expedita praesentium blanditiis. Id quis est sit saepe iure dolorem. Unde voluptates qui et harum et enim molestiae et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”