Drug Testing Potential Summer Analysts

Ok, so a really quick and random question. Are drug tests used when hiring summer analysts?

Wall Street Drug Test

When preparing to go through the recruitment process with a bank you should be prepared to take a drug test. A bank has the right to drug test for employment. If you are drug tested it will most likely be a urine test. Below is a list of major banks that have conducted drug tests. A test would be part of a pre-employment screen. These tests will most likely be conducted by a nurse practitioner or doctor. This person may or not be present when you are providing the sample.

Notable Investment Banks That Drug Tests

• Citi Bank
  • Deutsche Bank
  • Goldman Sachs
  • JP Morgan
  • Morgan Stanley
  • UBS
  • Wells Fargo
  • RBC Capital Markets

This list is by no means all-inclusive. There is a searchable database that you can access

Find the Best Jobs on Wall Street

Subscribe to our extensive list of finance jobs! Free one month subscription to the job board if you fill out a WSO Applicant Profile by clicking here. Just send the link of your profile to [email protected] once it's created and get access within 24 hours.

WSO Job Board

you should talk to your employer about your concerns. ask about which drugs they specifically test for, i'm sure he'll be glad to address your worries.

haha this is ridiculous. first off, it's a urine test, and i'm pretty sure all banks test their summers on the first day of your internship (mine did at least). we were told ahead of time, and I'm pretty sure that that is the standatd. most hard drugs (amphetamines and other stimulants) will be out of your system within 5 days. Marijuana may take slighter longer, and even longer if you're a heavy user. if you can't just stop using whatever you're using for 5 days to 2 weeks, you probably shouldn't be in banking since you have no self-control.

you declare any medications you're taking prior to the test that may show up, although if prescribed something like adderol, i'd probably just skip the dose for that week since it will eliminate having to have the bank get the prescription confirmed by your doctor.

Most urine tests can be passed by drinking special flushing drinks or even from buying synthetic urine or real urine online to pass the test. Up to you but a friend of mine got busted trying it in drug rehab. Just search around online and you can find places offering with guarantees that their stuff will have you pass.

Just make sure you haven't smoked or anything within a few weeks of the drug test and you'll be fine. :) I've heard of people being tested for SAs and people also not being tested... time varies a lot by firm, some will do it immediately, others will wait etc.

Plus honestly if you're a regular drug user you probably shouldn't be doing this job, all joking about bankers being cocaine addicts aside.

dosk17:
Just make sure you haven't smoked or anything within a few weeks of the drug test and you'll be fine. :) I've heard of people being tested for SAs and people also not being tested... time varies a lot by firm, some will do it immediately, others will wait etc.

Plus honestly if you're a regular drug user you probably shouldn't be doing this job, all joking about bankers being cocaine addicts aside.

This comment is totally on point. I completely agree.

The Prince of Wall Street

http://www.princeofwallstreet.com

some places actually make you pee in the office on the first? thats kinda weird... isnt the whole point of the drug test a "pre-employment" procedure, along with background checks? the few times ive had to take a drug test for a job it was always at a 3rd-party lab and they give you a certain deadline of when to take it, like 2 weeks before your start date or whatever.

i cant believe some places make you test in your first day as an intern...seems illogical. what a waste of resources to fully hire someone and get them settled in, only to kick them out immediately if they find out theyve been using drugs

Depends on the company.. Large companies may require you to take a drug test. But such tests are just like an alcohol treatment center It depends on you to be drug free for your own safety. Just try to be drug free all the time if you want a job and one that pays well.

Thanks for the fast reply. I had been looking at the testclear site, and didn't see anything in particular about Citi and UBS. It seems that most firms do urine, but the hair is becoming more common, and can find minor things from 2 or 3 months back, so it would be really good to know. There were no recent mentions on these 2 companies, so if anyone has information it would be greatly appreciated.

DontMakeMeShortYou,

You most certainly can blow while hungover. You have never woken up still drunk from staying out til 3:30/4:00/bar close? I have a buddy who, when he was underage, got a ticket when he showed up to a tailgate having not had a drink yet, thanks to the night before.

Sounds like you're having a great college experience...

You have to do it no sooner than 30 days before your start date and no later than 5 days before your start date. At least thats what my packet said. You have to have fingerprints done also. I'm assuming its a urine test. Just don't smoke and you're fine.

eh it kind of behinds. most do the criminal background check automatically.

drug test is hit and miss.

"It is better to have a friendship based on business, than a business based on friendship." - Rockefeller. "Live fast, die hard. Leave a good looking body." - Navy SEAL

why do drugs anyways? You can achieve the same results w/o the drugs w/o putting yourself at risk. Just study more.

I know someone who took adderal before a stat test, and fell asleep during the test.

And don't get me started on recreational drugs.

thatguy123:
alright aspiring monkey, have at it. I'm getting you started on recreational drugs. Let's hear it.
don't do it:P, the way I see it, its a waste of money and since its not controlled you are very likely to get some bad drugs and die.

have to think about it in the risk vs reward sense...reward: I'll feel happy risk: I'll die.

But personally I don't care what other people do on their own time, its your life, and if you are dumb enough to eat a pill that you get from a shady guy in a dark alley, then its obviosly that you are just there to remind us of Darwinism while you twitch on the floor foaming at the mouth.

The gov't should control drugs though. Not that whole war on drugs thing which is an obvious failure, but a system of checks and balances. Make it like liquor...have to be 21 to use, can't be publically intoxicated, can't drive under the influence etc. Then of course tax the crap out of it to help reduce the deficit.

Example: an Exctacy pill costs what 20 bucks? It hardly costs that much to produce, so the whole profit goes into the pockets of the dealer, the goverment will just replace the dealer, and pocket the change.

But with the gov't controlling it, they'll a) have quality control b) the crime will also be reduced c) gov't will make money.

I mean think about it, liquor and cigarettes are a hundred times more harmfull than marijuana, yet one is legal and the other is not.

Personally, I never used drugs, I've never smoked, and drinking I keep to social occasions.

Listen kids...

If you are paranoid about a drug test, if that is the thing causing you to lose sleep at night, good. It should be!!! What are you thinking?

There may be detox kits, herbal mixes, and 2 week abstinence rituals to try to cheat these tests. However folks delivering drug tests know about them. So the tests simultaneously check for natural "irregularities". You may be asked to repeat a test not on account of a trace of a drug, but on account of some other suspicious irregularity. Also, many shops give you last minute, 24 hour window in which to submit to a drug test.

It says a lot about someone's character and how they will inevitably represent themselves in the workforce if at this early age you're trying to cheat a drug test. What else will you cheat?

aadpepsi:
Listen kids...

If you are paranoid about a drug test, if that is the thing causing you to lose sleep at night, good. It should be!!! What are you thinking?

There may be detox kits, herbal mixes, and 2 week abstinence rituals to try to cheat these tests. However folks delivering drug tests know about them. So the tests simultaneously check for natural "irregularities". You may be asked to repeat a test not on account of a trace of a drug, but on account of some other suspicious irregularity. Also, many shops give you last minute, 24 hour window in which to submit to a drug test.

It says a lot about someone's character and how they will inevitably represent themselves in the workforce if at this early age you're trying to cheat a drug test. What else will you cheat?

How is it trying to cheat a drug test? Cheating a drug test would be trying to register a false negative. If you don't have the drug in your system you aren't cheating.

Yep, only thing is that alot of people use Riatlin/Adderall for finals, which happen to be right before the summer internships start. Anyway apparently Ritalin isn't detected by the NIDA-5 Panel test so everyone should stick to that!

well with drugs you can't really be smart about what you take. I mean there is absolutely no quality control...so in the long run the odds are in favor of you taking something that will hurt you

Disclaimer: The post above has been made by someone who is not currently employed in IBD...follow the advice at your own risk

aspiringmonkey:
If you mean me, that is my new signature

Disclaimer: The post above has been made by someone who is not currently employed in IBD...follow the advice at your own risk

Oh... sorry, I thought you were talking to the people above you and I was like what the hell.

Cavallino:
Do banks do drug tests for summer interns? (i know that most do for grad positions) Does anyone have any info on the type of test they do? Does it pick up Ritalin/Adderall?

Thanks for any info.

A lot of companies do physicals and drug tests nowadays. Not just banks.

My friend has ADD and needs Ritalin and even for his summer internship with an airline he had to notify the company that he has to take it. Granted, neither of us had to get tested for our internships (I was at Manulife) but you had to sign a disclaimer about any "substances" you were presently on.

Reprehenderit qui omnis non molestias doloremque dolorem. Dolor assumenda iste quas suscipit. Amet corrupti soluta dolore excepturi et ducimus. Et quos minus eum voluptatum sed voluptas dicta minima.

Sint molestiae quia iste aut ea ex cum. Provident quaerat ipsam numquam id veritatis iusto qui quia. Non reprehenderit voluptatem non dolores repellat quos culpa.

Voluptas asperiores eos nam. Explicabo aut illum fugit sit sequi consequatur.

Praesentium qui et optio voluptas ad ut. Quis nihil soluta exercitationem facere repellat. Omnis dolorem culpa ut expedita.

Eum dolores fugiat est ea commodi. Quia aliquid beatae officia molestias. Et earum facilis iste porro. Nam ut doloribus deleniti fugiat officia. Ut soluta voluptatum eos maxime ad adipisci doloribus distinctio. Assumenda nobis dolorem consequatur illum culpa magnam.

Quae voluptatum consequatur rerum ipsa repellendus sed praesentium impedit. Facere molestias et assumenda provident animi quia. Velit ad dicta magnam qui provident molestiae consequuntur. Neque reiciendis ea voluptatem ut dolorem qui est.

Quis earum necessitatibus dicta tenetur et. Quam reiciendis perferendis est explicabo odit aspernatur consequatur amet. Ipsa enim autem aut. Autem iste vel est eum. Accusantium voluptatem quas alias ab. Sapiente fugiat veritatis iure tenetur quam quia voluptatem debitis. Nobis sunt enim perspiciatis minima.

Sapiente voluptas temporibus nesciunt dolor delectus quaerat sed. Distinctio eius voluptas ab quis.

Quo doloribus aperiam quis qui qui. Sint officia ipsa quas quis consequatur voluptatibus veniam qui. Rem optio modi et dolorum quisquam maiores praesentium. Harum sed repudiandae ut temporibus itaque iste mollitia. Quia totam deleniti quisquam qui eligendi.

Officiis vero eos minima sunt quo. Quam sint et laborum eaque sit omnis maxime. Iure atque maiores nesciunt id facilis et. Est ab ut eum quis dicta blanditiis delectus. Aliquid velit nulla excepturi dolor at dolorum. Animi omnis culpa quasi consequuntur consequatur nihil aliquid. Minus vel quas ex quia praesentium expedita.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”