Pages

• Sharebar

So, Veritas Prep just blabbed about the 570 GMAT-er who got into HBS being a client of theirs. They also oh-so-helpfully posted a bunch of information about this client being an elite-level athlete with >20,000 Twitter followers, and now everyone knows that the gentleman in question is none other than former Bronco/Falcon/Raven Domonique Foxworth.

Dude's GMAT is obviously far from stellar, and his work experience has mostly involved smashing into other people. That said, his experience also included a lot of teamwork, leadership, and hard work, plus his college academic record was apparently pretty solid. Decent enough to prove that he's no bumbling fool.

Thoughts?

Comments (212)

• lasampdoria's picture

Great to see an athlete try something useful for a change.

Please NFL vets, no more used car dealerships. Ok? Ok.

Either way, good job Dominique. Kudos.

"Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin

• In reply to bearcats
    lasampdoria's picture

bearcats:
    570 AFTER going through prep class is just wow..

Nothing to be proud of.

"Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin

• TheGrind's picture

He's a famous jock; he probably hasn't done real homework since he was in junior high. Given his unique profile and Harvard's history of not caring about the GMAT, it's understandable they'd take a flyer on him.

• falconpunch19's picture

He's also President of the NFLPA which distinguishes him from most candidates.

• blastoise's picture
  • prn927's picture

what a joke. lost a lot of respect for HBS. why even require work experience if playing in the NFL qualifies as work experience?

• mbavsmfin's picture

Eh, not that surprised he got in. The women on b-school adcoms get pretty excited by NFL players and athletes in general. Everybody knows that mba admissions is total fluff, so this shouldn't come as a surprise.

• cakepie's picture

I think the most important question regarding his application is whether the 570 was before or after people started repeatedly hitting his head on the ground

• triplectz's picture

Are you guys seriously arguing that an NFL cornerback and former head of the NFL Players Union should be less impressive to an AdCom than Analyst #78 in Goldman Sachs Industrials, Waste Management and Utilities silo who interned at the Boys and Girls Club once a month?

This site is ridiculous.

• Angus Macgyver's picture

Personally, I agree with HBS' decision to take him on as a student. Sure, his GMAT's on the low end. If I were a betting man, however, I would still wager that he's going to do better than the average HBS graduate in terms of post-graduation career trajectory. He must have a shitload of contacts in the sports industry, and he's already proven that other people like him enough to install him as the NFLPA's President.

All in all... I think he's actually a relatively safe candidate for HBS to take in.

• In reply to Angus Macgyver
    mbavsmfin's picture

Angus Macgyver:
    Personally, I agree with HBS' decision to take him on as a student. Sure, his GMAT's on the low end. If I were a betting man, however, I would still wager that he's going to do better than the average HBS graduate in terms of post-graduation career trajectory. He must have a shitload of contacts in the sports industry, and he's already proven that other people like him enough to install him as the NFLPA's President.

All in all... I think he's actually a relatively safe candidate for HBS to take in.

I agree more or less with this. We're talking about MBA, not a stem phd program. He will add a lot of value to the HBS brand since he's already made great money and has tons of contacts in the sports industry.

• BlackHat's picture

Foxworth4MVP?

I hate victims who respect their executioners

• In reply to triplectz
    Cruncharoo's picture

triplectz:
    Are you guys seriously arguing that an NFL cornerback and former head of the NFL Players Union should be less impressive to an AdCom than Analyst #78 in Goldman Sachs Industrials, Waste Management and Utilities silo who interned at the Boys and Girls Club once a month?

This site is ridiculous.

Head of the NFL players union is particularly impressive to me. Being respected enough by your peers to have them entrust you with that responsibility says a lot about his leadership ability. People who think scoring above a 700 on the GMAT is more impressive than that are delusional.

This to all my hatin' folks seeing me getting guac right now..

• In reply to Angus Macgyver
    SirTradesaLot's picture

Angus Macgyver:
    If I were a betting man, however, I would still wager that he's going to do better than the average HBS graduate in terms of post-graduation career trajectory.
    Honestly, he could join PWM as a broker and absolutely rake it in just by getting players and former players as clients.

adapt or die:
    What would P.T. Barnum say about you?

MY BLOG

• subrosa's picture

This is ridiculous...... I don't care about his "leadership" background or whatever. A 570 has to be borderline retarded. Honestly, anyone else gets a 570 and they don't have a shot anywhere other than Tennessee Martin or some garbage. This is yet another example of the world gone mad. American business is becoming laughable with the likes of Jay Z and Puff Daddy being considered businessmen. Now we have to endure knuckleheads like this matriculating at our finest school. Of course everyone will cheer this, but come on it's truly absurd.

• FranchiseTag's picture

I think he's more than qualified to get into HBS, sure he scored low on the GMAT. But how many other candidates can say that they sat across the negotiating table from the 32 NFL owners and hammered out a CBA for the NFLPA.

Interesting side note, Domonique Foxworth's wife graduated from Harvard Law. I think thats pretty cool to not have a gold digging wife.

The NFL also has an agreement with Kellog and HBS, check the quote out below from a few years ago:

"Current and former starting quarterbacks BYRON LEFTWICH, JOHN BECK, CHARLIE BATCH, BRUCE GRADKOWSKI and BRADY QUINN are among the 66 players who have enrolled in the NFL Business Management and Entrepreneurial Program at Harvard Business School and the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University"

• TonyPerkis's picture

great job by HBS...it just goes to show that extracurriculars can be more important than your GMAT number

I eat success for breakfast...with skim milk

• luckystriker's picture

I'd much rather have him in my class than some boring Asian IT or accounting guy with no social skills. Not trying to be mean but I am sure most people feel the same.

I went to a few admit weekends at the schools I got admitted into and I was shocked by some people I met there. No personality, only able to talk about job related subjects, not willing to drink or partake in social activities and not even nice or modest.

• Falcon's picture

Haters gonna hate.

Congrats to him, very different from your average HBS applicant. If it was up to you guys, I'm sure a class at HBS will be full of guys who came from IB/PE/VC/HF with one week volunteering at the homeless shelter. And the class might even be dominated by group-thinkers.

Outside of the 570 GMAT, his resume is pretty impressive if you ask me.

How many NFL players have gone to bschool?
    How easy is it to become the president of the NFLPA?

I wouldn't be surprise if Myron Rolle (FSU Rhodes Scholar) takes a stab at business school in the near future.

• In reply to subrosa
    YouareNOTtheFather's picture

subrosa:
    This is ridiculous...... I don't care about his "leadership" background or whatever. A 570 has to be borderline retarded. Honestly, anyone else gets a 570 and they don't have a shot anywhere other than Tennessee Martin or some garbage. This is yet another example of the world gone mad. American business is becoming laughable with the likes of Jay Z and Puff Daddy being considered businessmen. Now we have to endure knuckleheads like this matriculating at our finest school. Of course everyone will cheer this, but come on it's truly absurd.

racist/jealous

Maternity is a matter of fact, paternity is a matter of opinion.

• In reply to subrosa
    ke18sb's picture

subrosa:
    American business is becoming laughable with the likes of Jay Z and Puff Daddy being considered businessmen.

Why? They are both worth well in to the hundreds of millions. They clearly know their market segment and how to exploit it. Is that not the very definition of great american business men? I'm sure you, just as basically 99.9% of posters on this site will be a salary slave your whole life and create nothing. Or is there some other reason that its become laughable...

• FrankD'anconia's picture

If you don't think playing several years in the NFL while serving on its executive committee is as impressive as playing with Microsoft Office for 14/hrs a day, you are literally outside of your mind. Besides, I'm sure this guy will enjoy himself as much as Desmond Bryant. NFL teams and top schools are extremely similar on a cultural basis.

• In reply to subrosa
    eignenvector's picture

subrosa:

You jelly brah??

"When you expect things to happen - strangely enough - they do happen."
    - JP Morgan

• BTbanker's picture

Let's take a moment and reflect on Brady's (probably subrosa) suicidal thoughts right now.

• TheGrind's picture

72% of African Americans score lower than 500 on the GMAT, so I wouldn't hold the 570 against him too much in that context (only slightly

• Texas Tea's picture

To HBS - This is trash. He's going to significantly hamper every group he's in because he will be able to contribute little to nothing. Why? Because at the end of the day he is just not that intelligent.

To Domonique - Good for you.

• Y2A's picture

You have a hell of a higher chance of getting 720+ on a GMAT than getting into the NFL, just saying. Yeah 570 is quite low, but as others have said, everything else on his resume is quite unique and superb. How often do you see pro athletes (with proven leadership, teamwork, ability to work under stress skills) apply for elite business schools compared to your typical finance guy?

• stvr2013's picture

He scored in the 59th percentile. While that's not remotely exceptional, it's not "lolbad". Considering the guy probably hasn't had to read anything other than a playbook since high school (if then), his score isn't god-awful. Taking into account his exceptional leadership experience, "extracurriculars", charitable endeavors, and the fact that he has countless industry contacts and will undoubtedly make a fortune upon exiting HBS, I wouldn't think twice about admitting him if I were an adcom.

• guyfromct's picture

Hbs also admitted dubya's personal assistant who didn't even have a bachelors. No one was up in arms.

• ke18sb's picture

Not to mention you are all assuming, which is a huge assumption, that he even studied for the gmat.

For all we know he told it once and blind, knowing it would be irrelevant in his particular case.

How many stupid 570 -> 700+ success stories do people write on here or gmatclub.

Did he study or did he take it blind, who knows, but assuming that is his best an final score errors more on the side or racist/jealous than not.

• In reply to triplectz
    packmate's picture

triplectz:

This site is ridiculous.

I know right, he's clearly far more talented than any ibanker
  • Hayek's picture

LOL at the basement dwelling aspie virgins getting their panties in a bunch about a 570 GMAT getting into HBS. I don't know if you bros are mad, jelly, or both.

• TechBanking's picture

He just wrote his ticket to a sweet front office job in the NFL.

The people hating on his GMAT are idiots. Leading the NFLPA is extremely impressive and speaks a lot about what his colleagues think of him. It's much more impressive than some geek that got top bucket once. Haters on this site today...

Somebody's flag football team just got a lot better.

• CRE's picture

Good for him. Who cares if he didn't "earn" it or "deserve" it in some traditional sense - he got it and that's all that matters. Bunch of cry babies whining about how it isn't fair.

• idragmazda's picture

I understand being an athlete requires you to be a "team player" and a "leader" or sorts, but let's get real.

Tons of people have these experiences (obviously not pro athlete level), but you really think this guy is that much value-add to the HBS class? Being a professional athlete, where much of your life is regimented and planned out for you, and being an independent-thinking leader in the business world are two different things. Pro athletes are told what to eat, how to save their money, how to spend their money, how to train, how to look in public, how to basically do everything; Not much independent thought involved.

Sure he comes from a very interesting background, but come on folks.

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis - when I was dead broke man I couldn't picture this

• In reply to CRE
    YouareNOTtheFather's picture

CRE:
    Good for him. Who cares if he didn't "earn" it or "deserve" it in some traditional sense - he got it and that's all that matters. Bunch of cry babies whining about how it isn't fair.
    I agree. I'd love to see some standard HBS nerd say sh-t to his face. Not going to happen.

Maternity is a matter of fact, paternity is a matter of opinion.

• In reply to idragmazda
    scleraxis's picture

So working your ass off number crunching at an IB or for MBB somehow makes you a world class leader? This guy was great at what he set out to do (play football), that's pretty much all HBS asks.

His GMAT score is irrelevant considering his background. I don't think he will add some amazing amount of value to the class but plenty of others with pedestrian (work and academic) backgrounds are admitted every year to keep the class perspectives balanced.

• In reply to guyfromct
    TheGrind's picture

futurectdoc:
    Hbs also admitted dubya's personal assistant who didn't even have a bachelors. No one was up in arms.

Folks actually were up in arms about that guy, but no one knows his GMAT. For all we know he could have crushed it. Obviously, it's much more likely that the President simply made a phone call on his behalf, but there's no smoking gun out there quite like that 570...however if that guy had the benefit of both the president pulling strings and being the rumored 490 GMAT scorer HBS allegedly accepted, I'm certain that people would be calling for his head.

Connections and nepotism are part of the game, folks. Dubya at Yale and HBS, John Kerry at Yale, Al Gore at Harvard, etc...

I'm more impressed by what this guy has done at this point in his career then either of the jokers listed above.

On another note, how did Jason Wright not get into HBS?
    http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=106728782&...

740 GMAT? 33 MCAT?? NFLPA Rep?

• hiit's picture

"An unrestricted free agent in the 2009 offseason, Foxworth signed a four-year, $28 million contract with the Baltimore Ravens on February 27. The deal included $16.5 million guaranteed.[4][5]"

Pretty sure he's already more successful than 99% of HBS grads. And who cares - it's one spot in an already ridiculously large class size.

• Poff's picture

As he was previously the president of the NFLPA and also previsouly served on the exec committee, I wouldn't be surprised if he was interested in working as an NFL agent or in some other sports-related capacity. If so, his reason for getting an mba makes a lot of sense to adcoms. Much more sense than TFA/engineer/non-profit --> MBA --> IBD/PE. Based on his professional experience, he may not add a ton of value to finance/accounting classes, but I'm sure it'd be interesting to have him in an ethics/negotiations class. The stories would probably be facinating and non-traditional. I'd much, much rather hear about NFL lockout talks as opposed to some IT guy babble on about how he negotiated 10% net net savings by implementing xyz software, zzzzz.

Now, if he's trying to break into mgmt consulting or PE with a 570 gmat, that's another story...

• ke18sb's picture

Jason Wright is probably just a Chicago guy - don't assume he didn't get in there (he went northwestern for UG).

Also as a bschool student, I wouldn't give a shit if the guy had a low gmat but was the nflpa president, I think he would be a great classmate.

• In reply to ke18sb
    CRE's picture

ke18sb:
    Also as a bschool student, I wouldn't give a shit if the guy had a low gmat but was the nflpa president, I think he would be a great classmate.

Not to mention that he'd probably be cool to chill with. Get some good workout tips, go out on the weekends, etc. Not going to want to be doing that with a host of other people

• In reply to prn927
    juniormistmaker's picture

prn927:
    what a joke. lost a lot of respect for HBS. why even require work experience if playing in the NFL qualifies as work experience?

I'm sure they give a fck about your lost respect. You've gotta be joking too. Being a professional athlete makes him a great candidate for many of the same reasons that military vets are great candidates. People get side-tracked by many of the clowns and sideshows in professional sports but generally those guys are incredibly hard working, disciplined and extremely dedicated individuals who have put everything into their sport for most likely their entire life. Not every athlete had all of his homework done for him and the fact that this guy ran the NFLPA means he's not dumb ( in addition to being far better experience than any bullshit you do for your few years out of undergrad).

• In reply to islandbanker
    Angus Macgyver's picture

This Jason Wright feller - black, 740 GMAT, pre-med for undergrad at a good school, and a great + unique career. How could he not get into every school he applied for?

I therefore assume that he is attending Booth by choice.

Pages