F100 to Consulting

Hey Monkeys,

Long time reader, first time poster

Long story short, what are the realistic chances of moving from F100 to consulting? I ask this as a generality. Below are some personal details for those who can provide specific insight for my background.

I'm currently interning at a F100 company (not banking) in a corp strategy / project manager esque role. I work with the team assigned to the pet project for the entire company (I'm the only intern in this role). My odds of landing a FT offer after my internship look pretty good.

I'm a finance major at a semi-target. Honestly, I have a pretty low GPA for someone wanting to do consulting. If I really kill it these last two semesters I can graduate with a 3.4 but a 3.3 is the most likely case. Luckily, I have a pretty good story with it. I have worked part time (for the business school academic advising office in a promoted supervisor role) and am serving as the president of a very involved business org. Longterm plans would be to get some work experience and then MBA in 5y or so.

I understand a common career line is to consult for 3, 5, 8 years and then move to PE/VC/F500. How about starting in F100 then transitioning to consulting after a few years? My ultimate goal would be to consult and don't want to pigeon hole myself by getting too attached to my F100 company by accepting a FT offer. Assume I want to do management consulting in general and am not hardset on MBB or a super elite boutique (but obviously interested in how those firms hire from industry as well).

I appreciate the input.

I haven't seen many lateral moves from industry at the level you are talking about. If you worked for 3-5 years you would be coming in as a experienced hire and that only happens when there is a specific role/need. I would suggest trying to get into a tier 2 or 3 firm for FT recruiting (will probably need a lot of networking efforts given your school and GPA situation) OR moving into MBB post MBA.

Thanks for your input. Tier 2 or 3 recruit pretty heavily at my school whereas VERY few MBB offers are given to undergrads.

Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you are the sucker.

Apply to as many firms as you want. There's little harm in that. However, realistically, you're unlikely to get MBB interviews with that GPA. Try networking harder at Tier 2 consulting firms. I know quite a number of people who went from Tier 2 consulting -> MBA -> MBB. Corporate strategy/development at F100 -> MBA -> Consulting also happens regularly, while lateraling from F100 to consulting below the manager level is pretty rare.

Ipsa accusamus dolores qui facere iusto. Consequatur nesciunt ea rerum atque. Id et cum fuga et quia. In incidunt rem eum omnis molestias molestiae placeat voluptatem. Repellat et consequatur numquam quas. Officia officia doloremque autem totam ut dolores. Nihil nam officia alias necessitatibus molestiae dolorem.

Tempora atque porro amet dolores repudiandae quia. Totam deserunt eum ut aut et velit placeat. Et ipsa harum neque fugiat qui exercitationem. Numquam et dolorum exercitationem sunt itaque neque. Consequatur tempore illo voluptatem aspernatur ex.

Blanditiis laborum nisi ducimus dignissimos ipsa veniam laudantium. Ab expedita et esse deserunt. Enim quae ipsa sunt qui quis eum veritatis et. Deserunt ut aspernatur enim sint. Officiis aut ut qui occaecati doloribus. Voluptatem minima soluta ut repellendus aut est et.

Quo ut perferendis doloribus nihil blanditiis incidunt asperiores. Eum distinctio ea necessitatibus laborum delectus. Molestiae voluptatum laborum velit dolor laudantium consequatur id.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

March 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

March 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

March 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (99) $225
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Senior Consultant (329) $130
  • Consultant (585) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (145) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (342) $102
  • Associate Consultant (165) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1046) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (187) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (547) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”