NYC 2016 Summer Housing

Has anyone started the process for looking for 2016 summer housing? Does anyone have recommendations for someone living in midtown Manhattan?

Best Response

Do not do Columbia, unless you want an excruciating commute and no social life this summer. My friends who go to school at Columbia subleased in downtown Manhattan for their internships this past summer.

I subleased a room in Stuytown (14th/A). Took the L two stop to Union Square and transferred to the NQR which takes you right to 47/7th, when I interned at MS this summer. There's a lot of NYU/Parsons/FIT students subleasing their apartments in the summer, so there is no shortage of available options across the Village, Chelsea, Gramercy, etc.

If you elect to go with the dorm option there are options at NYU, Parsons, FIT, etc. NYU Housing is pretty reasonable, a lot of summers lived there as well, but be advised that housing options vary in quality and location. The Union Square dorms are nice.

You can. I know a few people who have found apartments through there, but, personally, I would recommend the Facebook groups. That is what I used to find my subleases. There're all sorts of them like "NYC Apartment Search," "New York City Sublets," "Subletting and Renting around NYU," "Off-Campus Housing," etc. If you have friends who go to school in the city ask them to add you, or you can probably join them yourself. :)

newbie16:

Do not do Columbia, unless you want an excruciating commute and no social life this summer. My friends who go to school at Columbia subleased in downtown Manhattan for their internships this past summer.

I subleased a room in Stuytown (14th/A). Took the L two stop to Union Square and transferred to the NQR which takes you right to 47/7th, when I interned at MS this summer. There's a lot of NYU/Parsons/FIT students subleasing their apartments in the summer, so there is no shortage of available options across the Village, Chelsea, Gramercy, etc.

If you elect to go with the dorm option there are options at NYU, Parsons, FIT, etc. NYU Housing is pretty reasonable, a lot of summers lived there as well, but be advised that housing options vary in quality and location. The Union Square dorms are nice.

I wanna echo this as well, especially the Columbia point because its far af and you're not gonna wanna subway/cab back after a night out.

BTW, Subleasing is cheaper and much much better than any of the dorm options offered in NYC. When I lived at NYU it wasn't too bad but I subleased in Tribeca the following summer and it was stellar and I saved myself about 1,200. Theres tons of Facebook groups where you can find rooms being subleased esp from all the NYC students leaving for the summer. East Village, Union Square area, Chelsea are all very lively and great places to live.

“The only thing history teaches us, a wise man once said, is that history doesn’t teach us anything.”

I interned at MS, and lived well up the UWS (really more Columbia territory). I subleased with a buddy of mine, and we found it on Airbnb (shared it with Columbia students for the summer). If I remember correctly, I took the 1 line, which takes you right to 49th/48th and 7th ave/broadway. Commute was less than 20 minutes, and did not have to transfer lines. Rent was 50% of what most of my SA class paid.

Good thing to do is enroll in a cheap NYU course (online no-credit) and then enroll in the NYU student housing dorms. You never even have to attend the class

Guys, I need some advice. So I'm facing the following dilemma: applications for university summer intern housing (NYU, New School, etc.) open mid-late February. Is it worth risking not getting a spot in their buildings and continue searching for sublets through the facebook groups etc. ?

I gotta leave NYC for a summer gig in Toronto, will be subletting my apartment (main bedroom in 1 bed apt, 10 min from midtown, luxury building). Roommate and I both nyu grad students, he will be working at a prop shop this summer. must be clean and quiet. message me if you are interested.

Hey man I'm an incoming SA this summer and am interested in your apartment sublet. The website wouldn't let me message you, but I'd love to hear about your apartment if you're still looking for someone to live there this summer.

Omnis possimus unde et voluptates molestiae consequatur ipsum. Nam qui et sint corrupti reprehenderit et. Nulla placeat corporis dolorem aliquam et non. Inventore qui vero et.

Eum et qui fugiat autem. Tenetur aspernatur ut eveniet expedita similique iusto facilis at. Rem repudiandae odio inventore.

Maiores quibusdam officia vitae aut. Corrupti perspiciatis in et reprehenderit consequuntur eum odio. Aut dolore veritatis quae qui voluptatem quae sed.

Quis omnis quibusdam sint doloremque. Voluptate consequatur ut maxime maxime possimus. Dicta provident dolores accusantium sint rerum consequatur numquam. Voluptas dolor architecto veniam aspernatur sint cumque autem. Ut quas aperiam exercitationem eum consequatur.

Quidem voluptas fugiat voluptas molestias qui in. Ipsum quisquam consequuntur temporibus. Minus voluptate et nihil et et voluptas. Debitis occaecati voluptas quo nihil iusto aut. Enim et eum reprehenderit dolor.

Aut non in harum soluta. Suscipit ab id eos mollitia deserunt ex. Fuga qui voluptas quae dolorem inventore. Facere aperiam odio repellendus et magni harum similique. Voluptatem ipsam odio non suscipit. Ut veniam voluptas quasi qui quaerat reiciendis et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”