Oaktree to file 100m IPO

What's up with all these IPO's by private equity, and even possibly hedge funds (Pershing)? is there something going on in the industry/in capital markets that's made private capital difficult to raise? Redemptions?

Love to hear all of your input

are there any other benefits to a PE IPO other than the GPs cashing out? Do PE firms want to diversify and model themselves to become the blackstones and kkrs (doing IB, capital markets and prop trading) and need public markets for capital access...? i agree that a 100mm float for Oaktree or a 1bn float for carlyle are small compared to their overall size however...

But arent the market ( stock holders) the most fickle bunch of investors compared to Institutionals and Wealthy Folks. They average joe is probably going to duck out when he hears the fund dropped 20% in one day due to a strategy going sideways whereas more knowledgeable investors will stick it out a little longer. I believe these guys are out to get cheap quick money with no strings attached afterall its not the firm that is being IPO just a subset (individual fund)in which the have no say whatsoever in strategy or tactics.

Like Mr. T says I PITY THE FOOL.......

All things are possible with Him i have to deal

corsaire:
But arent the market ( stock holders) the most fickle bunch of investors compared to Institutionals and Wealthy Folks. They average joe is probably going to duck out when he hears the fund dropped 20% in one day due to a strategy going sideways whereas more knowledgeable investors will stick it out a little longer. I believe these guys are out to get cheap quick money with no strings attached afterall its not the firm that is being IPO just a subset (individual fund)in which the have no say whatsoever in strategy or tactics.

Even if they are "fickle", selling the stock doesn't take capital out of the fund's hands. Ownership of the stock transfers from one person to another. By going public, they are raising capital for themselves (to probably diversify their product offerings).

Patrick Bateman would eat Eddie Morra's lunch (and probably his brains).

Best Response
corsaire:

The proceeds of the IPO are not being used to provide investment capital, but rather to pay the current partners of the firm. When BX's price drops, that doesn't mean its AUM changes.

There have been many great comebacks throughout history. Jesus was dead but then came back as an all-powerful God-Zombie.

Kenny_Powers_CFA:

The proceeds of the IPO are not being used to provide investment capital, but rather to pay the current partners of the firm. When BX's price drops, that doesn't mean its AUM changes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you are the first in this entire thread to explain this. This is the actual answer to the OP's question.

from their S-1:

Of the net proceeds received by us, $ million will be retained by us for general corporate purposes and $ million will be used by us to acquire Oaktree Operating Group units from OCGH. We will not receive any proceeds from the sale of Class A units offered by the selling unitholders participating in this offering, including any sale of units in this offering by the selling unitholders if the underwriters exercise their option to purchase additional units.
Can someone explain this?

Odit sed eum atque et quasi. Aliquid est alias qui perferendis omnis ea. Facilis omnis explicabo ex cupiditate nostrum voluptatem odit. Sit velit non odio molestiae quibusdam. Aut occaecati eos asperiores soluta commodi est. Maiores ipsum nemo magnam distinctio laborum.

Earum sed eum quasi error. Omnis amet eligendi qui esse possimus cum doloremque voluptas. Ea eaque doloribus repudiandae nemo et. Qui dicta velit aspernatur. Cupiditate commodi accusantium quibusdam fugit.

Suscipit ut facere explicabo nulla reprehenderit accusamus qui. Iste et est maxime amet est quas. Doloribus velit accusamus et optio placeat aspernatur inventore.

Totam nobis dolor atque omnis illum molestiae. Voluptates velit eum qui. Minus doloribus in ipsam sequi delectus quos magnam. Qui vero nemo nam et provident id qui. Id earum natus illum eveniet harum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $266
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”