Excel 2003 vs 2007 / 2010

I hear a lot of large banks still use Excel 2003, but I assume that eventually everyone will upgrade? I'm wondering when that might happen and if it would be worth it to start using Excel 2003 now when I already have 2007 and a free upgrade to 2010 when it's released. Are there any major reasons for the banks not upgrading, other than compatibility? Why would anyone prefer 2003 over 2007? It seems strange to me, but maybe it's because I had never even opened Excel before 2007 came out. Also, does anyone know if they will change the interface in 2010? I'm just starting out learning financial modeling and Excel properly, so it would suck to find that I need to get used to something completely different when I start doing real work.

I hate 2007.

Seriously, why the **** do I have to hit Alt+H+JD+AA+T just to fucking align something at the top in powerpoint? Why do I have to hit Alt + H + F+C just to change font color?

-------------------------------------------------------- "I do not think there is any other quality so essential to success of any kind as the quality of perseverance. It overcom

Some banks have their own internal systems and applications built on the 2003 version. Another reason is that 2007 is a major update that changed all the settings and shortcuts, people would just go mad, like coffeebateman says.

2010 is pretty much the same plaform as 2007 so they are very similar.

Best Response

Functionalities of 2003 and 2007 are quasi identical. Basically Excel 2003 had already repaired most of its previous mistakes. The few illogical formulas remaining were removed in 2007. Therefore in my opinion the main change is the layout. Since it is more "newbie-friendly" and less "professional user-friendly" (cf. above commentary on dumb shortcuts), I can see why a lot of working people are resisting it. Plus, it's less manly, and that is no small issue on a trading floor.

More seriously though, all banks have heavy infrastructured macros and tools to enhance Excel. Be it pricing tools, product simulation macros for global markets, or tools facilitating interaction with powerpoint and word for the sales/IBD. Most of those need reprogramming for Excel 2007.

Since Excel 2003 works fine (don't repair it if it's not broken, right?), and I suppose the newer version of Excel is more expensive for the banks, there is hardly any argument in upgrading.

But anyway, the only difference I see for you is the shortcuts. The use of Excel for financial modelling doesn't differ otherwise. Your formulas, pivot tables or preferred functions don't change.

When I was in MO/BO roles, excel 2007 was a godsend because there are significantly more rows available per sheet and also a smaller file size. It cut down on many of the problems we had trying to juggle large amounts of data.

In the IBD world this may not matter as much but when different divisions send files to each other, the file type conversions get to be a pain so most companies try to keep the same version throughout.

The bank I worked at last summer (not a BB) was starting to switch over to 2007. Like other posts have said though, there are big differences between the two and switching to going to cause a lot of negative feedback to say the least. I'd say knowing 2003 would be your best bet.

Banks are absolutely in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mode for Excel, at least the one I'm at. Their general IT policy is to upgrade only when the software developer stops supporting that version. Heck, we're still on Internet Explorer 6! Youtube doesn't even work on it properly. So until MSFT stops supporting 2003 (doubt they'll do so anytime soon), I'd imagine plenty of banks will stick with 2003.

gomes3pc:
Banks are absolutely in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mode for Excel, at least the one I'm at. Their general IT policy is to upgrade only when the software developer stops supporting that version. Heck, we're still on Internet Explorer 6! Youtube doesn't even work on it properly. So until MSFT stops supporting 2003 (doubt they'll do so anytime soon), I'd imagine plenty of banks will stick with 2003.

I feel you on the IE6 brother. Biggest pain in the ass ever.

2007 is so much better, especially with charts. Saves so much damn time. That being said, I'm still very lost on 2007. I want to learn it though, because it's so much more enjoyable.

As you can see, at work it's still 2003.

2007 > 2010 >>> 2003

They've added way too many features in 2010, so despite the dumbed down layout it's actually it harder to master than 2007, and 2003 is just old and shit.

You know you've been working too hard when you stop dreaming about bottles of champagne and hordes of naked women, and start dreaming about conditional formatting and circular references.

In 2007, you can still use the basic shortcuts from 2003. Can you guys do this for 2010? I use 2007 but I only use the 2003 shortcuts, so if this feature disappears, then it's going to be a problem in the future.

It's a matter of habit. When I first started using 2007, it was a real pain in the ass. But after getting used to it, 2007 seems ok and even better than 2003 to certain extent (more rows/columns, new hotkeys/functions etc.). Thanks God, my current bank uses 2007 (by the time I broke into I've already got used to 2007 and relearning again would be terrific).

Exercitationem hic error et labore maiores aut. Ut minima ut dolor ratione fugit repellendus. Maxime possimus aut et veritatis aliquid voluptate veritatis. Voluptas sint voluptatem et et.

Quae amet sint facilis et non ut eum. Molestiae dignissimos aut deserunt et consequatur iusto voluptas.

Vel et rem repellat blanditiis veritatis sit at assumenda. Omnis mollitia expedita ea rerum consequuntur quas. Deleniti aliquam ab perspiciatis expedita voluptatem non. Nisi iusto voluptate earum voluptate nihil. Velit ducimus ab praesentium harum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”