Post MBA IBD Associate 140K Total Comp?

I get this number from recent WSO compensation report. Sounds absurd to me because I always thought it is in 200K range.

The even unbelievable number is from hedge fund section - 93.9K for associate at mega fund?

How reliable are these numbers?

I'm interested in this because I'm planning to apply MBA this year. Although I haven't fully figured out what I want to do post MBA, it is either IBD or AM, may also consider MC if I can get in. As a second year non-investment analyst in a mega hedge fund, I already get close to the IBD number above (3 year w/e). And I only need to work 60 hrs per week (no weekend on call, full sick/vacation days).

I know IBD may give me more potential, but the number straight out of bschool really surprises me. And my current job/field is not a dead end either (in risk/quant area, cs background). I guess 300K in 5-7 years is reasonable. It is just that I prefer more communication/deal type of work instead of being completely analytical.

140k at a BB could only happen in a no bonus year.

first year comp is an awkward number given the time period. it includes a non-recurring signing bonus, stub bonus and staggered base salary. it's more useful to talk about the first 18 months which covers your first full calendar year.

the total comp for the first 18 months should be between $340k-$365k in a normal year. this assumes:

$50k signing bonus $100k base from July-December $35-40k stub bonus in January $125k salary from January $80k-100k bonus

The associate data isn't very accurate.

The above poster's numbers are pretty accurate for A1. Haven't heard of donuts so far except for UBS and ultra low performers (as regarded by the bank, not by competence).

A1: ~200-250K (125 base, 250 all-in is top bucket) A2: ~250K-280K (140 base, 100-130 bonus) A3: ~300 (160 base) VP: very, very, variable. Could be ~400-~500 depending on performance.

Numbers are obviously lower than they were in 2007, but still decent pay.

Best Response
bankbanker101:

The above poster's numbers are pretty accurate for A1. Haven't heard of donuts so far except for UBS and ultra low performers (as regarded by the bank, not by competence).

A1: ~200-250K (125 base, 250 all-in is top bucket) A2: ~250K-280K (140 base, 100-130 bonus) A3: ~300 (160 base) VP: very, very, variable. Could be ~400-~500 depending on performance.

The numbers you quoted are about 50% higher than those listed in the 2013 compensation report. Are you basing your estimates on accurate current data (2012)? The compensation report has several hundred data points for associate salary. Additionally, regardless of how you slice the data (location, bank type, position), the numbers look largely consistent. So, I'm inclined to believe the compensation report numbers - unless you could explain why there would be such a large error.

It would be good to get to the bottom of what's going on. Because, if numbers really are as low as those listed in the compensation report, it's important to know for making future decisions. Times change.

the real deal:
bankbanker101:

The numbers you quoted are about 50% higher than those listed in the 2013 compensation report. Are you basing your estimates on accurate current data (2012)? The compensation report has several hundred data points for associate salary. Additionally, regardless of how you slice the data (location, bank type, position), the numbers look largely consistent. So, I'm inclined to believe the compensation report numbers - unless you could explain why there would be such a large error.

It would be good to get to the bottom of what's going on. Because, if numbers really are as low as those listed in the compensation report, it's important to know for making future decisions. Times change.

I'm an associate at a BB. Numbers came out recently.

bankbanker101:
Also the Associate comp may be skewed if people reported their stubs as bonuses. That could explain the 140K comp (100 base, 35 stub).

Regardless, I can vouch for my numbers.

thanks for sharing man

I don't throw darts at a board. I bet on sure things. Read Sun-tzu, The Art of War. Every battle is won before it is ever fought- GG

Definitely a topic of interest. I've heard of some places killing the A0-A1 base jump (so still $100k rather than going up to $120/125k) as well as giving terrible bonuses (~$20k). Can anyone comment? How are the numbers in Research and S&T?

Another question: should we assume that because of new legislation in Europe, US BBs (C, GS, MS, JPM, etc) are outpaying European BBs (DB, BCS, CS, etc)?

The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

Dolor itaque et aliquam iure eius nemo. Error in recusandae magni asperiores nam quo doloremque. Veniam et similique est quibusdam quia nam atque suscipit. Non aliquid commodi pariatur odit quibusdam autem. Incidunt qui occaecati dolor accusamus qui.

Iure quidem adipisci fugiat ut. Aut sit tenetur suscipit ea nihil. Alias animi nisi sit.

Ipsa officia dolores enim ipsa maxime. Aperiam nihil voluptas quisquam praesentium rerum. Aliquid dolorem voluptatem nam animi. Natus exercitationem sed dignissimos ut similique consequatur. Molestias rerum eaque sequi ut vel. Fuga ipsam fugit quia qui pariatur asperiores iusto. Praesentium dolorum ex ea distinctio error nobis.

Voluptate ex esse maxime quidem. Nam qui voluptatem aut eaque nobis. Asperiores accusantium eligendi iusto.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”