Was IBD really THIS high paying back in the 2007 bubble?

Came across this today

Full article here.

A 32-year old banker pulling in $700,000? These days are Vice Presidents in IBD raking in anything near this? Sort of makes me want to reneg on my interest purely in Research...

Those were good days. I look back at my peak total comp from that era and dream of seeing that number again.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, post threads about how to do it on WSO.

Post-MBA IBD has picked up, but it's nowhere near pre-financial crisis and never will be (at least in the foreseeable future). Ditto for S&T.

A bunch of my classmates got IBD offers and are deciding on whether to accept. Very few of them actually WANT banking. Some of them are depressed at the prospect of working 80-90 hours/week for a job in overpriced NYC that doesn't pay that much. Yes, IBD raised base by 25%, and signing bonus is pretty decent, but once you factor in NY state tax, NYC city tax, outrageous rent, higher COL for virtually everything, and lack of desirable post-MBA IBD exit opps (going from post-mba ibd to buyside is very hard), it's just not that great of a deal. My classmates recognize this, hence their hesitation to accept the offers.

Finance is coming back. I think the tech bubble is coming to the end in the next 2 years. If Stanford GSB grads are moving back to Finance over tech, you know it's a leading indicator.

notthehospitalER:

Aren't we saying exactly the same thing? I know of at least one bank that has a very literal cap on the amount of cash that can make up comp - doesn't affect your comp figure, but once your comp becomes higher than that level you get cash to the cap and stock for the rest.

No, we're not saying the same thing at all.

In your scenario, if someone were to get a $200k bonus, and the bank had a "cap" at $100k, that person would get $100k in cash and $100k in stock. This is NOT how it works.

In my scenario (aka reality), if someone were to get a $200k bonus, that person would get $100k in cash + 33% of the next $100k in stock and 67% in cash, equating to total bonus comp of $167k in cash, $33k in stock.

All of the above numbers only apply to bonus comp (base is unaffected and always all-cash) and obviously the numbers are theoretical, since the "cap" as well as the %' stock / cash split differs by bank. However, what you've described (a hard cap on cash comp) is completely off-market. I highly doubt "at least one bank" has a "literal cap" on comp, and even if it does - again, that's totally off-market. The more likely explanation, however, is that you don't know wtf you're talking about.

Best Response

they exist at hedge funds...which is why most all of the great sell side traders and strategists still go to hedge funds

banks have decided to pursue lower risk strategies...and that includes not paying large S&T bonuses

Nemo perferendis asperiores eum cupiditate recusandae. Et ratione aliquam consequatur omnis. Et autem qui tempora in adipisci qui minima. Veritatis distinctio ullam dolorum error quam. Vero deleniti eos repellendus iusto qui qui eum. Dolores voluptatem dicta id temporibus exercitationem et ab.

Nihil non numquam mollitia occaecati vel illum repellendus. Sed excepturi maxime harum. Sed harum nesciunt libero asperiores nihil nam impedit. Aut consequuntur id voluptates et iure animi minima quia.

Ut sapiente voluptas et facilis harum aut cumque. Fugiat id ipsa fuga est repellat sed. Placeat magnam officiis est debitis ut. Vero hic sint sit qui natus.

Molestiae quaerat ut odit dolore quis. Id sint itaque magnam blanditiis. Omnis tempora earum nostrum impedit in. Rerum ducimus delectus aut distinctio nemo ducimus.

Accusamus ipsa nulla enim et voluptatem. Voluptas consequatur quia harum ea. Doloremque facere omnis quis quae voluptas laudantium tenetur. Quam corporis possimus harum assumenda. Sint omnis quasi exercitationem et magni aliquam ab qui. Accusamus ea iusto velit veritatis enim.

Adipisci sit sunt atque deleniti. Vel voluptatum occaecati commodi et voluptatem.

Est et atque incidunt dolor saepe cumque suscipit iure. Ea pariatur ea quia quia quam nihil. Animi ea consequuntur eos voluptate corporis.

Pennies from JcPenny

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”