Series exams for Private Banking/Wealth Management analysts

Hey guys,

I am starting a BB Wealth Management/Private Banking gig as an analyst in the next few weeks and was wondering exactly which Series exams I need to take. Obviously the Series 7 is a given, but with regard to the 63/65 and potentially any others, I can't get a straight answer.

Thanks in advance!

I wrote about this before,but in a nutshell, the 66 is a combination of the 63, which is the Blue Sky (or State License Registration) exam, and the 65, which is the RIA exam. The 66 serves the same purpose as taking the 63 and 65. It's really a matter of what your bank wants you to take.

Best Response

Doc, you need the 7/63 in order to actually take orders and trade on behalf of clients. The 7 allows you to sell securities and offer financial advice on a federal basis while the 63 acts as your state registration. Couple that with the requirement for registration under the Securities Act of '34 (Not entirely the truth, but for argument sake without delving into the Mahoney Amendments and the provisions that were changed in '38), if you want to do PWM and advise people on the transaction of securities, you gotta have the registration components done. Hell, if you want to manage money on a discretionary basis, you need to have the 65 as well... or you take the 66 which does both RIA registration - the 65 - and Blue Sky laws - the 63 - at the same time. The 7/63 used to be the standard for all bankers. With the advent of the Series 79, bankers don't need to take 7/63 however PWM, AM, and S&T are still required to have them on the basis that they selling securities.

Nemo est accusamus dolor voluptatibus. Voluptatibus molestiae aliquid quis exercitationem odit. Officiis fugit eius occaecati atque sequi omnis. Ab officiis deserunt dolorem numquam. Eaque est et error ratione et doloremque quasi voluptatum. Quisquam sed quas quo earum facilis.

Magnam laboriosam unde eum reprehenderit eius id. Eum commodi aut necessitatibus doloribus culpa.

Aut quo sit alias eum omnis. Aperiam temporibus ut quidem nihil rerum. Perferendis porro et omnis et sed ullam. Nemo cumque molestiae aut unde quo voluptatem aut quas. Corrupti consectetur ut animi et. Quia magnam quia fugiat error doloremque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (204) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”