What kind of job experience can break into financial analyst eventually.

Recently I am looking for summer internship but I have no idea what kind of job can lead to financial job eventually. I know even entry level financial analyst also need 2 years experience so that I want to start from getting related job experience. Does anyone know which job position doesn't require related experience but be helpful on applying financial analyst in the future? Thank you!

The Excel is an invaluable source of financial data analysis. Every day, uncountable amount of financial data is analyzed by financial experts. If you are in the finance industry, Microsoft Excel will be your best analytical tool till the end of your career. You will be dealing with a lot of finance Excel spreadsheets from the first day of your career.

The preferred qualifications are often times a joke. I never worry about they years that they say are ideal as long as I had experience to qualify me to do the job.

How long have you been at your current company? After ~2 years you should be looking at SFA roles. General rule of thumb: Analyst: 0-2 years experience SFA: 2-4 Manager 5+

Note the quality of the experience matters a lot, but if you're good and have good experience that's usually about right. If you're average or your experience isn't too relevant you may not be able to move that quickly.

Personally I did 1 year at Big 4 and 1.5 in consulting and then went to an SFA role at a F500 healthcare/pharma company.

twitter: @CorpFin_Guy

Best Response
accountingbyday:

The preferred qualifications are often times a joke. I never worry about they years that they say are ideal as long as I had experience to qualify me to do the job.

How long have you been at your current company? After ~2 years you should be looking at SFA roles. General rule of thumb:
Analyst: 0-2 years experience
SFA: 2-4
Manager 5+

Note the quality of the experience matters a lot, but if you're good and have good experience that's usually about right. If you're average or your experience isn't too relevant you may not be able to move that quickly.

Personally I did 1 year at Big 4 and 1.5 in consulting and then went to an SFA role at a F500 healthcare/pharma company.

Your timeline realistically is very short. Unless you are in a development program (or came from consulting/banking), you are not making senior in 2 years. Or rather the chances are very slim.

To the OP, every company is different. Some promote quickly, others do not. If you are at the 5 year mark, I would start looking at senior roles.

Modi sequi blanditiis velit eos esse eum. A maiores alias velit officia. Natus accusantium occaecati eum cum vitae id vero dolorem. Sed ipsum sunt nisi atque nesciunt voluptates. Eius et voluptatibus quasi repellendus fugit architecto vitae.

Tempora commodi quia perspiciatis dolorem aut reiciendis qui. Reiciendis enim incidunt sapiente sapiente unde ut aut sed. Ullam possimus nobis consequuntur numquam et. Esse et cupiditate qui adipisci aut excepturi voluptatem. Dicta qui quisquam porro voluptatibus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”