Qualified Replacement Property under Section 1042

If your life depended on you compiling a list of companies that meet the requirement below, how would you go about it?

C'mon WSO, help a guy out here. I will be forever in your debt.

Here is the definition of qualified replacement property for background as can be found in:https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/1042

"(4)Qualified replacement property

(A)In generalThe term “qualified replacement property” means any security issued by a domestic operating corporation which—

(i)

did not, for the taxable year preceding the taxable year in which such security was purchased, have passive investment income (as defined in section 1362(d)(3)(C)) in excess of 25 percent of the gross receipts of such corporation for such preceding taxable year, and

(ii)

is not the corporation which issued the qualified securities which such security is replacing or a member of the same controlled group of corporations (within the meaning of section 1563(a)(1)) as such corporation.

For purposes of clause (i), income which is described in section 954(c)(3) (as in effect immediately before the Tax Reform Act of 1986) shall not be treated as passive investment income.

(B)Operating corporationFor purposes of this paragraph—

(i)In general

The term “operating corporation” means a corporation more than 50 percent of the assets of which were, at the time the security was purchased or before the close of the replacement period, used in the active conduct of the trade or business.

(ii)Financial institutions and insurance companiesThe term “operating corporation” shall include—

(I)

any financial institution described in section 581, and

(II)

an insurance company subject to tax under subchapter L.

(C)Controlling and controlled corporations treated as 1 corporation

(i)In generalFor purposes of applying this paragraph, if—

(I)

the corporation issuing the security owns stock representing control of 1 or more other corporations,

(II)

1 or more other corporations own stock representing control of the corporation issuing the security, or

(III)

both,

 then all such corporations shall be treated as 1 corporation.

(ii)Control

For purposes of clause (i), the term “control” has the meaning given such term by section 304(c). In determining control, there shall be disregarded any qualified replacement property of the taxpayer with respect to the section 1042 sale being tested.

(D)Security defined

For purposes of this paragraph, the term “security” has the meaning given such term by section 165(g)(2), except that such term shall not include any security issued by a government or political subdivision thereof."

Quos molestiae aut modi quam. Id praesentium esse culpa enim. Debitis tempore nemo qui nisi voluptas omnis voluptate. Iure qui labore exercitationem non. Vel labore debitis perferendis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”