Rationale behind: Why should I pay $80 for a company with MVequity=100 and cash =20?

if MVequity=100 and cash =20, how much should I pay for this company?
The EV equation would imply EV=MVequity - Cash =80

I dont get the concept of why I would be paying $80 and I would be receiving stocks worth 100 and Cash worth of 20.
When there is debt, I would understand the cash can be used to pay down debt. However, what is the rationale when there is no debt?

Thanks

Best Response

It's not necessarily used to pay down debt, extra cash simply decreases your cash purchase price. You pay $100 in cash for equity, which consisted of $20 in cash. So with your $100 you are buying $80 of company and $20 of cash. You pay 100, but receive 20 the same day, so your net cash outflow is 80.

EV is theoretically the npv of future free cash flows to the firm - owned by both debt and equity holders. Cash that has already been earned doesn't matter, the firm's value is dependent solely on the cash it will generate in the future. In this case, the net present value of future free cash flows to the firm is 80 (firm value or EV).

A firm has 100 in equity, 40 in debt and 20 in cash.

To acquire it, you need to pay 100 to the equity holders and 40 to the debt holders (total 140), and you will receive 100 of equity and 20 of cash (total 120). Since you paid 140 and received 20 in cash you effectively paid 120 (i.e., 140 - 20 = Equity + Debt - Cash)

lets take this example *Company A: MVequity =100 ; Cash =20 *Company B: MVequity = 100

To acquire B, you pay 100, and you receive equity worth of 100 To acquire A, you pay 100, you receive equity worth of 100 and cash amount of 20, so you effectively paid $80

So what this is saying is that is that if everything equal, if a company has more cash, I should pay less. Which contradicts some common sense, that i company with MVequity =100 and Cash of 20 should ask more for more money than a company with MVequity of 100.

so there is something definitely wrong in the analysis or I am missing a different aspect of the analysis

The two companies in this example do not have the same value. Company A's EV is 80, B's is 100. The shareholders of company A also have claim to $20 in cash, so their equity value is company + cash (80+20).

Maybe the interplay between EV and equity value is confusing you. When you acquire a company's equity, you are acquiring ownership of a future stream of cash flows (Enterprise Value). The actual firm value to you, the equity holder, is contingent on two primary areas (negating preferred & MI): what portion of the cash flows are owned by another party (debt holders) and how much cash that you can take from the business on day 1. Let's look at a couple of scenarios:

Company with 80 EV and 20 Cash...The cumulative present value of future cash flows is worth 80, and you can pay yourself a cash dividend of 20 today. The value of equity in this company is 100

Company with 80 EV, 30 Debt, 20 Cash...Cash flow stream is still worth 80. Now, 30 of those cash flows are owned by debt holders (which take precedence over you). At the same time, you own 20 in cash, which you can use to buyback some ownership of those cash flows (paydown debt) or pay yourself a dividend - doesn't matter. Regardless, the value of equity in this company is 70 (80 - 30 + 20).

In both of these scenarios, the company is worth $80 (EV). equity value changes based simply on how cash flows through to shareholders. This is why, all else equal, if two companies have the same equity value, the one with less cash has a higher enterprise value - the company is worth more.

Presentvalue:

lets take this example
*Company A: MVequity =100 ; Cash =20
*Company B: MVequity = 100

To acquire B, you pay 100, and you receive equity worth of 100
To acquire A, you pay 100, you receive equity worth of 100 and cash amount of 20, so you effectively paid $80

So what this is saying is that is that if everything equal, if a company has more cash, I should pay less.
Which contradicts some common sense, that i company with MVequity =100 and Cash of 20 should ask more for more money than a company with MVequity of 100.

so there is something definitely wrong in the analysis or I am missing a different aspect of the analysis

For company A, the value of discounted future cash flow is 80, while the company has 20 cash. When you pay 100 for this company, you get only 80 equity value generated by future cash flows, meaning that the expected cash flow of this company is somewhat lower than company B, therefore, your net outflow is essentially only 80.

For company B, the value of the discounted future cash flow is 100. Market thinks the company is making more in the future, therefore you pay more out of pocket.

Another interesting spin on this (that I don't believe anyone mentioned) is that cash is implicitly factored into your EV; so you don't want to double count cash in your EV computation. If you think about setting up a DCF in order to calculate an implied intrinsic share price, you are factoring in Cash into your equity value by using the FCF metric to compute it. I hope that adds some insight to your newly acquired perspective!

Consequuntur aut praesentium blanditiis libero et veniam. Non quis consequatur a laborum soluta iste sit.

Dolor rem similique veniam enim ut similique ullam. Commodi labore officia dolorum sunt.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”