New member here - been reading the forums for a while and there seems to be a lot of helpful people on here.
So here's my story...
I graduated in May from a very small non-target in New England with a finance degree (3.6 GPA). Over the past two summers, I've interned at a BB PWM branch as well as spent some time on a trading desk at a small trading firm in NYC.
Right now I am involved in the training program at a local investment advisory branch. Most of my time has been spent preparing for the series 7, which I'll be taking in a few weeks.
However, this is clearly not what I want to do. I have recently set my sights on breaking into ibanking and I am willing to work my ass off to do so.
I know that I'm in a really tough position, being that I have no experience in IBD and am not coming from a target, but this is something I desperately want.
Along with studying for the series 7, I've been sending applications to boutiques throughout the NYC area (thanks to the regional boutiques list here on WSO) and sending resumes to as many contacts as I can come up with. So far, nothing has stuck.
I recently contacted an alumni in banking who seems really friendly and helpful. I am currently working on arranging a meeting.
What I want to know is: what else should I be doing? How can I land interviews? Should I look into other positions in hopes of making the jump to IB later on? Is there no hope?
I'm confident in my ability to do the work required in IBD and I know I have the desire to do it - so how can I show this to banks?
I know there are a lot of people out there who are going to want to tell me that I have no chance at breaking into banking given my background, but I'm just looking for some advice.
Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.
Don't Miss This Awesome Related WSO Content
- Recent Accounting Grad from a Non-target School
- Recent Non-Target Grad, Ops position or try for Boutique internship?
- How I moved from backoffice to Commercial Banking to Investment Banking/Private Equity (coming from a non-target school)
- Recently Graduated from a Non-Target University and need some advice from fellow professionals!
- Non-Target Sophomore with 2 Internships looking to land a bulge bracket offer by graduation
- URM status and breaking into trading from a non-target
- Best major for breaking into banking from non-target
- What is most preferred for breaking into IB/PE from a non-target school?